Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.

The World, a setting based on the game series .hack, was published by Asuni Corp. after they bought out Bandai and acquired the rights to the setting. Trouble is, we believe this Asuni Corp. might just be up to some illegal business. We need someone to investigate and we’re looking at ALL the leads.

Even the most ridiculous, asinine leads I’ve heard of, apparently. We want YOU to explore the Fantasy MMORPG known as -The World-. Whether you’re one of our agents, or are on this job due to more… criminal circumstances in your history doesn’t concern me, this lead is ridiculous either way.

Anyway, YOU will search through -The World- for any restricted zones or oddities, and investigate them. You were chosen for this because you have the right combination of hacking know-how and *ugh* video game skills to succeed if Asuni Corp. was somehow sloppy enough to leave a lead inside an MMO.

You heard the crotchety old man that will be your boss now, all of you are players of -The World-. Not only that, but you are also rather high level players who know some knowledge about how to hack. You even have your own programs set up that you know how to use. Whether you used them or not before is up to you, though.

A few ground rules, -The World- is a Player versus Environment(PvE) MMO ONLY, meaning that unless you hack the game there are no directly Player versus Player(PvP) skills. So no stealing, hiding from players, or killing them, unless you hack.

Getting into new areas requires combining key words together, you could be given these keywords through your friends list, contacts, or what you know about -The World- already. Depending on the source, they could be wildly different.

The year is 2028, and technology in video gaming has advanced extremely far. -The World- uses a technology known as a Full-Diver. With it, you feel entirely immersed in the world by wearing headgear that cuts off sight and sound from the outside world and can read your brain patterns, allowing you to move and interact with the world with only your mind.

Fine control is currently impossible, so menu screens are used for many more intricate interactions, such as crafting, or inventory space. Even with these slightly immersion breaking hud interfaces, however, it is still the most realistic thing conceived for gaming, and -The World- Online is at the forefront of this gaming technology.

What system is this?

We'll be using a modified Fate Core system I made myself, called .hack//Fate.

This seems preeetty intricate and/or weird to base a game on. How come you’re doing it?

I’m using the .Hack series and Sword Art Online as inspiration. So this will be a fantasy MMO with some other elements, so straight up Sci-fi classes are kind of out immediately… Sorry!

Do I need to know a lot about .Hack or Sword Art Online in order to understand what the hell?

I hope not! Knowing MMO terminology would be useful, though. Also, if you DO want to know a bit more about .hack, there’s an hour long series called .Hack Quantum that is a fun watch. It really isn’t necessary, though. Also, if you want to get a feel for how the interface in the game functions, watching the first 2 or so episodes of Sword Art Online could work well.

If you just want a reference as to what -The World- Online basically looks like, you can see it in This video.

Inter-what's-it? THAT'S not in MY .hack!

Well, it isn't exactly .hack, so there are setting and terminology changes. An Interface is basically an Epitaph User though, an example of which can be seen here

The difference is, is that there are probably WAY more than 8 AIs wandering around -The World-

Recruitment will be open for two weeks!

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2014 around 02:25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Version 2.0.0.1 (beta).

The Pretender

hi im pyrite!

The Reeling

Oops. It's in your cookies now, so technically you're the perv. Maybe don't click on unlabeled links? Dumbass.

It's really not that bad, though. You can't see anything. Stop bitching about it and log off if you're that drat sensitive.

High Concept: Dragged Into Deep Cover

hey <3 so i herd you like paint

That's how I stick in the hook for some stupid newb to give me his weapons. Never his armor, though. Funny how that works. It's not like my skin's all that skimpy. I covered up all the important stuff so the admins don't give me another dayban. I'm smarter than that.

I'm a good person at heart, really. I'm just better at lying than I am at making friends. I guess that's how I got called up. Some nobody with a girly handle that can sweet-talk "her" way into the best guilds and raids. The perfect sleeper agent, like whats-her-name from that one Bond film. Probably something misogynistic and laden with innuendo.

Yeah, laden. I passed English. I'm not an idiot.

But above all else, I loving love the ruse. Swing my virtual hips a bit, say a little something into my voice modulator, and I can get whatever I want. The beauty of puberty is every guy online wants to see a little TnA, and wouldn't you know it, that's what I deliver. Then I give them a taste of my six-foot +10 Smiting "My First Brush" and log off before they can trace me.

Although, last time I was reported for trolling with my Pyrite skin, some dumb moderator leaked the report on -The World-'s forum so everyone could laugh at how pathetic that guy was. I even posted a little jab at the kid about how gullible he was to let me have his stupid war-axe in the first place. I mean, I'm a Sealer! I can't even use axes!

I might have also mentioned a little something about liabilities with Asuni's trading system and how I can exploit it to get even more out of his inventory. Didn't say specifically how, but it was enough to get yet another dayban.

Once I was back in the forum I had a PM from our crotchety benefactor. He wants to know how I managed to get such a lengthy rap sheet for the same old scam. He figured I could make it more lucrative by getting paid to troll. To TROLL. Who wouldn't sign up for that?

So I guess I'm the "femme fatale secret agent" of this branch of the organization. I mean, it's weird, but I can do it for some dough upfront. No shame in acting like a girl if it's my job.

Invoke: Newbs are gonna line up for a good look at me.
Compel: I get a lot of attention from everybody for some reason.

Class: Sealer

(Boring weaksauce representation of the lame default outfit I don't have anymore because YAWN.)

Asuni added a cool buff/debuff class in the latest patch that works with Shinto-style seals and uses calligraphy brushes as wands. It's behind a really tiny quest line that involves calming the spirits of some shrine, really only for magic characters. That seemed like a great idea for my av: a painted facade for a guy that draws everything he can. I'm kinda big on symbolism like that.

So I took my female Berserker Knight through it and one-shot everything along the way to unlock it. I honestly hate the Sealer class. I wish I could just run up and gank people like a berserker, but that's the price I pay to look good and get loot.

Class Weapon: Brush (Magic Melee), Seal (Magic Ranged)
Type: Magic

Class Skill: Calligraphy

The Sealer's Skill is a set of buff and debuff abilities involving slinging slips of paper at allies, enemies, or interactive objects to temporarily change their stats and properties through magic.

Overcome: Yes
I can recognize magic symbols and toss a seal to counter the spell's effect.

Attack: No
It's just a brush.

Defend: No
It's just paper.

Create An Advantage: Yes, and Yes!
Instead of the usual Advantage roll, I can name a basic action before I roll. If my "attack" succeeds, I Seal the named Action until they next roll to perform it, at which time my Seal subtracts a penalty from the roll equal to the number of shifts by which the attack succeeded. (i.e., I can subtract from their next Attack if I name Attack, but the enemy can Overcome like normal.) I can only have one active Sealed Action per enemy, and the attack does not actually deal stress damage with this method.

It can also Create An Advantage like normal, which is boring but effective: sticking tags on stuff to make them stronger or weaker, stuff like that.

[Class] Gonna Give You The Slip: When I use Calligraphy to Create an Advantage on an enemy (the normal way), I can add a free tag to the resulting Aspect. The Aspect (denoted by the preface "Seal:") can be invoked before the sealed enemy's next turn to give them -2 to their next roll as well as its usual function.

Invoke: Supporting the team with defensive buffs and weakened mobs.
Compel: Squishy as hell and can't actually deal damage as-is.

Hacker Rationale: Textures-Am-Me

It's the flashiest hacking in the world, but it's also the most mainstream and competitive. Any newb can paste a Goku still on their doll and put it on a forum, but mine, mine is the best out of any of them. I don't just dye some pixels, I tweak the models themselves. I can sculpt one of my doll's event weps into a 20-poly scrub brush and bring a whole load of pain.

Oh, and I can do other things with models and textures, like my secret transparent skin in case I need to stop being seen, or that skin of an old event pet I could use with an accomplice to gank newbs. I have loads of little tricks like that, but then... it seems like everyone else does too.

Whatever. I'm still the best. I know all the "real" hackers think exploiting the game's code is "art," but my texture hacks are really really art. I get all sorts of praise for my custom skins. Y'know, when I'm not getting temp bans. I thrive off of that, almost more than newbie tears. I love crafting a beautiful texture and walking around a town with it on display. It really makes my rap sheet worth the hassle.

Invoke: I can make anything look like anything else with a little offline effort.
Compel: So can everyone else, really. I'm not necessarily a "real" hacker.

Trouble: I've Been Burned Before

One of the hardest things I've had to cope with was school life. I'm not a big person, and that got me a lot of attention from bullies. I mean, serious poo poo. I always caved in to them.

Not anymore. In -The World-, I'm the one with the power. I'm the one squeezing out the tears. They learn to respect me, and then we can be friends. It's a rite of passage to be my friend, because they need to be as burned as I am to understand.

Invoke: It's not hard to detach myself from less seemly folks.
Compel: Nobody's really my friend until they're my victim.

Free: Still Life Artist

But yeah, the main reason I do texture hacks is because I really have a knack for artistry. Drawing, painting, sculpting, CAD, the whole set. I'm applying to an arts college so I can refine my work and become a full-time artist. Hopefully this whole espionage gig will put me through to a BA. Speaking of, you can follow my dA account for a bunch of custom skins. They're actually kinda popular all things considered.

I wouldn't mind being good at something more practical, but there you go. Just a good artist with an MMO addiction. Oh yeah, I have loads of free time. Just drowning in it. And money too. I get dA commissions all the time. Everyone loves their... anime girls...

Is Burger World hiring? I mean, it would cut into my gaming and drawing, but... if I had a reason to get out, I might make an effort to leave once in a while, just, like, on a whim. Like my parents did before I moved out of their care.

Invoke: I can be online at a moment's notice with a poo poo-ton of inspiration.
Compel: I'm going to die alone...

MMO Skills

+3: Calligraphy
+2: Inventory, Support
+1: Detect, Speed, Stealth

Player Skills

+3: Trolling
+2: Emote, Will
+1: Integrate, Hack
+0: Contacts

MMO Stress
[1][2][3] (-2/-4/-6)

Mental Stress
[1][2][3] (-2/-4/-6)

Compromisation
[1] (-2/-4/-6)

Stunts

Who Needs Enemies?: I can't hide what my handle is, no matter how hard I try, so I get a lot more attention than I used to starting out, which isn't all that bad. For one, I can use Trolling on a Contacts roll by enticing some know-it-all to correct my horribly inaccurate rumors.
Swift Kick In The Buff: Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a support class. As long as I'm not under attack, when someone uses Tanking to Create An Advantage I can give them one more MMO Stress at the end of their track to tank hits I'm not taking. This extra box (labeled [^]) will go away when filled, or when the target of the Aspect is Taken Out. Oh, and I can only have one of these stress boxes floating around at a time. It's really the least I can do.
If You Got It, Flaunt It: Newbs will give a seminude doll anything, whether she can use it or not. Once per scene, I can give someone (including myself) an incredibly overpowered Class Weapon they can use, with the aspect Right Tool For The Job and one free tag only to be used for Attacking. I might have also reskinned them to look more harmless, just for the lulz.

Rather Watch Them fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2014 around 23:56

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Puppeteer will be coming once midterms are done.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Character Name: Ivan von Kassomir
In Game Nick: Lazarus

Aspects: "Reclusive Genius", "Accursed Sorcerer", "Spider's Web", "Fear the Unknown", "Savant Core 2.0"

Refresh: 3 = 3

Stress:
MMO: OOO
Consequences: 2:() 4:() 6:()
MBarrier:

Mental: OOO
Consequences: 2:() 4:() 6:()

Compromisation Consequences: 2:()() 4:() 6:()

--

MMO Skills:
+4: Class Weapon
+3: Defence, Lore
+2: Class Tech, Inventory
+1: Threat Reduction, Detect

Player Skills:
+3: Hack
+2: Will, Interface
+1: Contacts, Emote

Stunts:
"Apocrypta Sorcery" - Before attacking, may choose to make the attack an Apocrypta Sorcery. For this attack, every + rolled grants +1 damage, but if two or more - are rolled, gain a negative aspect on self.
"Loremaster" - When using Lore to place or discover an aspect, Lazarus gains a +2 bonus.
"Sorcerous Retort" - As part of an attack, sacrifice an existing MBarrier. For each filled box on the MBarrier, the attack deals +1 damage."
"Glyphs of Protection" - When using Class Tech to create an MBarrier, add one stress box to the total amount generated.

--

High Concept: "Reclusive Genius"
The last heir of the von Kassomir family, Ivan has been alone since his father died in a skydiving accident shortly after his fourteenth birthday - the old man had always been an adrenaline seeker after Ivan's mother had died shortly after his birth, and the skydiving trip was the latest in a long line of such extreme trips. Left alone, Ivan became a virtual recluse, continuing his studies over the internet almost exclusively, and rarely leaving his family's vast estates - or receiving visitors. In the ten years since, he has become a myth both in the local town and the internet at large, as an enigma that seemingly does as he wishes.

Class: "Accursed Sorcerer"
One of the von Kassomir's many holdings is a minority (4%) stake in Asuni Corp, which gave Lazarus the leverage to get his own personal class implemented, amongst other things. Drawing upon both occultism, especially the works of Aleister Crowley, and fictional myths, such as the works of Lovecraft, he created the Accursed Sorcerer, a dark figure of mystery that seemingly appears from the shadows to work it's own ends, like some spectre within The World.

Class Weapon: "Black Sorcery" - the darkest of sorceries can be used to strike down a foe or bring misfortune. (Ranged, Magic).
Class Tech: "MBarrier" - Can use Class Tech to generate temporary stress boxes that last for the rest of the scene. Gain MBarrier stress track equal to half the number of shifts rolled. A new MBarrier cannot be generated while there are unfilled boxes on an existing one.
Class Stunt: "Apocrypta Sorcery"
Type/Role: Balanced DPS
Weapons:Armour Ceiling: 4/0

Hacker Persona: "Spider's Web"
Ivan revels in scheming, planning everything down to the finest detail to avoid any possible surprises or unusual circumstances - a personal fear of his, given how he lost his father to an accident. He will always try to have at least one or two escape routes or traps ready to spring at a moment's notice.
Exploit: "Ace in the Hole" - Ivan can activate a pre-prepared element to tip the odds in his favour.

Trouble: "Fear the Unknown"
Ever since losing his father, Ivan has had an irrational fear of the unknown - that he might die himself from a similar accident. Besides making him a recluse within his own estate, it has also made him reluctant to take risks or grow close to people. Of course, given the time spent alone, he has gained a broad insight into a variety of topics.

Free Aspect: "Savant Core 2.0"
The Savant Core was a technological marvel when it was announced by a subsidiary of Kassomir Conglomerate, rivalling the raw processing power of large super computers while in a far more compact physical form. While the project was ultimately declared a failure in the end, given the overwhelming cost made it infeasible for any plausible use case, Ivan arranged to have his own estate fitted with one of the later prototypes, for his own personal usage.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2014 around 23:41

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

/ / NSFW

Matthias Domitresku/Furtuna/Panoptes(?)
Theme

High Concept: Bought-Out Startup Engineer
Like an awful lot of comp-sci majors, Matthias left college with a head full of coding savvy and a pocket full of student debt. In his case, he decided that he and a bunch of his buddies could pay off their university debts by running their own programming and software engineering business. Unfortunately the recession happened and soon he and his friends found themselves in even more debt than before. With everybody and their grandmother consolidating, they elected to put their company up for sale. Asuni picked them up as a drop in the bucket and integrated them into their own Computing and Information Technology systems as "MAD Programming Skillz, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Asuni Corp". Now he just has to pay off all the debts he's got...
Sample Invoke: And now it's time for my elaborate and college educated skills to come into play!
Sample Compel: Have no money, Asuni can't buy me, but they can pressure me...

Trouble: Every Day the Same Dream
Matthias was hoping to change the world with his "leet programming skills" and his comp-sci degree. He had no plans to go into the "9 to 5" world and become a cog in someone else's machine. But that's exactly what he's been living for the past three years--wake up, dress in business casual, take metro to work, sit in cubicle, program, have lunch and chat about trivialities, go back to cubicle and program some more, go home on metro, undress, cry self to sleep. Volunteering to be a whistleblower and poke through the game he helped make (sorta) for indictable evidence may sound like more work, but (combined with cashing in a month's vacation) it's the best change of pace he's had in years.
Sample Invoke: Commiserate with others in the "real world", enjoy fantasy
Sample Compel: Enjoy fantasy a bit too much, have no life

Hacker Rationale: It's All About the Pentiums
Why is Matthias using his codes and his skills against the company he's supposed to be working for? Part of it is cover-your-assness--neither he, nor Andrej, nor Dominic wants to be on the hook for collaborating with some sort of white-collar crime. But really, though? Most of it is for personal reassurance. Matthias has spent the last three years working on utterly mind-numbing beta testing and debugging, watching the same drat leaves fall again...and again...until the physics sims were working okay. He desperately wants to confirm to himself that despite the collared shirts deal, he's still the fast-thinking coder and cracker he thought he was when he graduated; that he's still got it.
Sample Invoke: Do something showy in code, get help from other members of MAD Andrej and Dominic
Sample Compel: Speak in freakish technojargon that nobody understands; technically still a company employee, get caught as a corporate whistleblower

Free/Interface: The All-Seeing AI
Being originally tasked with debugging the World, Matthias had access to some codes to let him access script trigger GUIs and such. He figured he'd use those the first time he logged in to try to make some headway in the investigation. But midway through inputting the codes, something...happened. He isn't quite sure what, but by the time he was able to get the full diver off of his head he was curled up on the floor instead of his chair, bleeding from the ears and eyes. And then something started talking in his head. Well, maybe "talking" isn't the right word, but he did catch some phrases. Like "object-oriented mind", "understands the assembly," "well trained", "scripting access", "I'll use your access", "be my ears and eyes". And "that is an order". Now he has something online that can hijack his senses and make him do what he wants while he's logged in. On the other hand, combined with his already strong theoretical and practical software engineering experience, the results can be...impressive, to say the least.
Glitched Area: Matthias'/Panoptes' Glitched Areas largely resemble the standard area, but with bright pastel sheens over everything. They are color-corresponded to script triggers, objects, important/unimportant NPCs, NPC walk nodes, etc.
Sample Invoke: Parse script triggers; help others go around bad triggers (e.g., this tile is trapped), AI benefits, technobabble, combine the power of the AI and the human
Sample Compel: Forget that most people don't see the script triggers, AI quirks, everybody wants Panoptes, AI + human = it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts

Class: Wind Mage

Wind Mage with a default appearance out of chargen for both male and female types
Furtuna was really intended to be a throwaway character, all told. That the "Wind Mage" skill set of knockdown, healing/fell wind buffs and debuffs, and speed dodging fits his retiring, "supportive" persona is completely incidental. He was just tasked with tracking clipping and other graphical glitches during the World's beta phase, and the Wind Mage combined the flashing magical effects most likely to cause crashes and slowdown and the flowing robes and dresses that are notorious for clipping through characters, items, and environmental objects. He chose a girl model because that's the one with the most flowing robes and...because...he kinda likes living in virtual reality as a girl.
Class Weapons: Wind Spells (ranged)
Type: Magical
Class Techs: Fortress of Storms.Once per battle, the Wind Mage may roll Class Tech to place the aspect Fortress of Storms on a zone. Enemies may not enter or exit the Fortress of Storms zone, as they are buffeted by hurricane-force winds that push them back to their original position, unless they use any skill to Overcome the aspect (and disperse it) by matching the original Class Tech roll.
Class Stunt (Free): Zephyr's protection (Armor): Because the Wind Mage's spell list includes a number of defensive spells, Furtuna can add +2 to Tanking Overcome rolls if there's a reasonable chance the damage-dealing vector can be blown away, slowed, or otherwise misdirected by an errant gust.
Sample Invoke: Move quickly, apply area effects, support other players
Sample Compel: Not very tanky or strong; "Ha ha, you loving weirdo! I'll bet you like looking down and--"

MMO Skills:
+3: Support
+2: Knowledge, Detect
+1: Speed, Tanking, Ranged Weapon

Player Skills
+2: Integration, Will
+1: Emote, Contacts
+0: Trolling

Stresses:
MMO: OOO(O) Consequences 2/4/6
Mental OO(O) Consequences 2/4/6
Compromised (O) Consequences 2/4/6

Stunts:
This Place Looks Familiar (Knowledge): Because Matthias helped debug the game, once per session, he can place the scene-wide aspect "Ins and Outs". While this aspect is in effect, all advantages Matthias creates have two free invokes. This includes "Ins and Outs".
Totally a Beta Tester! (Interface) : Because Matthias' name is technically in the credits list...somewhere...he may appeal to moderators to clear a Mild or Moderate Compromised consequence on another player between scenes as long as he himself has not been blacklisted (has a Compromised consequence himself)
Random Number Seeding (Hack/Integration): Matthias can force the World to interrupt its programming flow and rerun its RNG scripting. While originally handy for tracking boss AI patterns and testing how "gracefully" NPCs take interrupts, this can also be used for more nefarious ends like duping rare drop rolls and making an enemy not use its signature attack in the first place. In game terms, by rolling Integration or Hack successfully he or his AI can force an ally or enemy to reroll its move. This takes an action (if ally) or counts as a defense move (if enemy). On a success with style, roll twice and pick one.

Panoptes the AI posted:

AI Synchronization OOO
AI Compromised 2/4/6
AI Will OO 2/4/6

AI Executions:
+4: Dissection
+3: Propagation
+2: Restoration
+1: Destruction

Refresh: 1

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Mar 19, 2014 around 00:32

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Be aware that this custom system is basically a beta, is totally open to future revisions. However, I won't be making major changes while applications are still open.

PM me any mechanical issues you spot with it or ways you think it could be better.

I HAVE heard, however, that the Weapon/Armor Ceiling is a bad idea, and considering how getting rid of it early frees you guys up a lot...

I'll be replacing it with a Role specialization:

The three roles are:

Tank: take -2 stress from all attacks against you

Specialist: Ties count as successes with one shift, and the success with style threshold is lowered by one

Balanced: Take -1 stress on all attacks against you and can choose to have Ties count as a success with 1 shift by taking a free compel

All that is dumb and bad. Read this instead:

devilmaydry posted:

There are four roles:

Tank:
When defending using an MMO Skill: you win ties automatically and can Succeed with Style with 2 shifts instead of 3

DPS:
When attacking using an MMO Skill: you gain one shift to your roll when you tie and can Succeed with Style with 2 shifts instead of 3

Buffer:
When Creating an Advantage using an MMO Skill: you gain one shift to your roll when you tie and succeed with style with 2 shifts instead of 3.

Technician:
When Overcoming using an MMO Skill: you gain one shift to your toll when you tie and can Succeed with Style with 2 shifts instead of 3

Is this just the specialist split into the 3 trappings? Yes, but it also means it's a lot easier to have the roles balanced against each other. which is why I'm making the change.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2014 around 21:38

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Chester Black, Trace

Trace and Puppet

Refresh: 2
MMO Stress
Track: OOOO

MMO Consequences
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

Player Stress
OOO

Mental Consequences
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

Compromisation Stress
OO

Compromised Consequences
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

High Concept: ADHD Addict
The World is the most fantastic game ever. It's even better than all of the MMOs last decade that tried to transfer to this new technology. For some reason, each of them floundered and died. Probably has something to do with the Full-Diver's less-than-stellar API and documentation.

But it doesn't matter, because Asuni Corp knows what they're doing. The World learned from every previous generation of MMO game and put those lessons into practice in spectacular fashion. The beginning levels are well-crafted introductions that actually do a good job of teaching a player without patronizing them. The middle levels help alleviate the grind by having some ACTUALLY INTERESTING content. The endgame dungeons are true tests of skill without being absolute bullshit. In short, is an absolutely glorious game that has hooked Chester's attention unlike anything else ever has.

Thank goodness he's found someone that wants to pay him for playing the game. Gold farming doesn't count; that poo poo is BORING.

Invoke to: Concentrate on a task that requires a lot of focus, Do intricate game maneuvers easily
Compel to: Distract him from some task with something more interesting (such as ignore a virus monster for one with a rare loot drop), Ignore non-game related things

Trouble: He Can Dish It Out, But He Sure Can't Take It!
Chester is a bit of an rear end in a top hat when he's online. Fast with the quips and 'witty' in his writing, he finds himself nearly peerless when it comes to beginning and ending flame wars, harassing unwanted company, and just generally trolling people.

No, that's not a good thing.

All of this generally negative behavior has ostracized Chester, especially since he developed a reputation for being a general rear end. It doesn't help that whenever anyone turns the abuse back on him, he crumples quickly. No one gets huffy, whiny, or offended as fast as Chester does, even while he's attempting to insult someone else.

Invoke to: Dish out the best insults, Employ the power of 'wit'.
Compel to: Enrage at the slightest insult, Get huffy and indignant for no good reason.

Class: Puppeteer
The ADHD player's class of choice, the Puppeteer is COMPLICATED. You have to keep track of two characters that have slightly different skillsets, and the interface only allows you to move one of them time. Which is a bit annoying, but skillful manipulation (and a few items) allow you to circumnavigate this rather stifling weakness. The class allows you to build in all sorts of different directions based on choice of weaponry and equipment, not to mention that skill tree! It's a min-maxer's dream come true... as long as you have the execution skills.

Although the Puppeteer can be built to fill any role, Chester hasn't been able to find a guild to play with for any particular length of time. Thus, he's had to optimize as a tank in order to attempt to solo most of the endgame content.

Trace's puppet is the Knight Golem, a heavily armored puppet; it is perfect for tanking and dealing heavy physical blows.

Invoke to: Perform a perfect combo with just yourself, know the ins and outs of game mechanics
Compel to: Screw up controls, Accidentally move the wrong person, Lose track of either the player or the puppet

Class Rundown
Puppeteer

Class Weapon: Puppet (used for both melee and ranged attacks)
The Puppeteer's puppet is a semi-autonomous golem through which he channels all of his status magic and aggro control. The puppet may be outfitted with many different kinds of weaponry. Trace's puppet is a model with an emphasis on Hand-to-Hand combat; Chester focused on that, and so the ranged weapon is the weak wrist-mounted crossbow standard on the model.

Type: Physical
Puppeteers can use their puppets to tank physical hits very well, but magic techniques are capable of bypassing the puppet entirely, hitting the fragile Puppeteer instead. The player needs to be crazy prepared to overcome this deficiency.

Semi-Autonomous Puppet (Class Stunt): The puppet may be moved independently from the Puppeteer. Unless a Move action is taken, only one of the Puppeteer or the puppet may be moved in a single round. The Puppeteer and his puppet are the origins of different skills. For example, the puppet is the origin of any Melee rolls made by the Puppeteer, and any targets must be in the same zone as the puppet.

pre:
Puppeteer              Puppet
Speed                  Melee
Knowledge              Tanking
Detect                 Ranged
Inventory              Stealth
Friendlist             Support
Hacker Rationale: Spreadsheet Guru
Chester spends waaaaaaay too much time playing -The World-, so much so that his personal spreadsheets are more detailed than the wiki. Collaboration? Pshaw, that poo poo's for people who have friends. If you're going to get good at something you love, you have to put in the time and effort yourself. Chester has so much data compiled about the game that he knows what each and every enemy can do, how long their abilities take to cast or dissipate to the frame, and even some passive buffs that aren't actually listed anywhere in the game.

Unfortunately, even with how well sorted everything is, sorting through all this data can take a little bit of time, and while Chester is obsessed with min-maxing his character, he hasn't memorized all of the corner cases or even some of the stats for obscure enemies. What he does know, though, is that the third time that boss respawns tomorrow will be when he'll drop that epic sword you've been looking for.

Invoke to: Know relevant data about a game mechanic, Predict enemy AI routines.
Compel to: Lose track of important data in the shuffle, Be surprised by non-standard enemies, Have poor reflexes against newly encountered enemies.

Free: Anything to Win
More than anything, Chester craves victory. People must submit to his greater 'wit'. The enemy must fall before the might of his plans. There can be no failure. He will give anything to win.

No wonder he has no friends. He gave up friendship, because those assholes were holding him back.

Invoke to: Win.
Compel to: Leave others in the dust, Pick fights where none are required.

pre:
MMO Skills
3: Tanking           
2: Inventory    Melee
1: Knowledge    Support
pre:
Hacker Skills
3: Integration
2: Hack        Trolling 
1: Emote       Will
Stunts
Monitoring Script (Hack): Chester runs a script alongside The World that not only tracks his buff and debuff timers, but refreshes them automatically. Trace may spend a Fate Point when he Creates an Advantage to mark the created aspect with this stunt. At the end of the 2nd round following the action, reapply the aspect to the same target with one free tag. If the original target has been Taken Out, Chester may choose a new target.

Golem Shield (Tanking): Chester has optimized Trace as a tank. As long as Trace has no Consequences, once per round he may redirect an attack targeting an ally in his puppet's zone to himself. He may defend against this attack as normal.

Number Cruncher (Inventory): Chester has spent a lot of time optimizing his equipment and inventory items, stockpiling a number of attack and defense items. Trace may use Inventory to Attack or Defend. He may only use this ability when his puppet is in a different zone.

Obsessive Data Collection (Integration): Chester is obsessed with documenting all stats, abilities, and drops of every enemy in -The World-. Once per scene, when Chester first enters combat with an NPC or mob that has not been affected by this stunt previously, you may place the aspect "Data Analyzed" on that NPC or mob with one free invoke. As long as the free invoke exists, all of Chester's allies (but not Chester) have +1 to Defend rolls against that NPC or mob.

Chester may spend an action to roll Integration against the active defense of an NPC or mob that has been previously affected by this stunt or a passive defense of +3, whichever is higher, to place "Data Analyzed" on that NPC or mob with the same defensive effect as above.

Data Collection List
Minos

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at Mar 28, 2014 around 06:30

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013

((Here's what I have so far, will be working on it more over the next few days))

Name
Daniel Morrel / Master Sentoki

High Concept(Player Aspect)
Striving for Strength

In real life, Daniel isn't the strongest of people, although he is hot-tempered and eager to prove himself. He began practicing martial arts at a local dojo to gain both physical and mental strength, but he's never been at a level he felt comfortable enough to call himself "strong". Due to stress from both work and the dojo, he decided to find another hobby to help him relax at the end of the day, and -The World- was one of the biggest hobbies in the world, so he decided, why not? Now he finds himself not only striving for strength in the real world, but also strength and recognition in the virtual world.

Class
Martial Artist

A simple man, succeeding in battle using only his body as a weapon. They fight with a multitude of different styles of martial arts, most all focusing on dealing damage with the odd Judo or Hapkido technique thrown in to temporarily disable or disorient the enemy. The Martial Artist was also built to be able to solo better than some classes, and can also access few Meditation techniques to buff their own physical strengths and defenses. This class called to Daniel, mostly because in real life Daniel practices martial arts, so he feels he can connect the most with this class and pretend to be the man he wants to one day be.

Class Weapon:
As a class, the Martial Artist fights bare-handed, but in-game their official weapon consist of hand-wraps to enhance their strength and damage.

Role: DPS

Class Techs: Built to make soloing easier at low-to-mid levels, the Martial Artist class comes with mostly high-damage attacks, although it's physical defense is average and it's magical defense is below-average. They have the ability to use meditation to up their attacks and defenses.

Class Stunt: Meditation
Once per encounter, you can meditate for one round to add one temporary aspect to yourself (either Meditation - Attack Up or Meditation - Defense Up). This aspect comes with one free invoke that is usable only until the end of the encounter.

Invoke: Disabling enemies (placing negative aspects using Class Weapons),
Compel: Low Magical Defenses, Low Elemental Resistance,

Hacker Persona
Enigmatic Interface

What is this thing that Daniel has found himself bound to? Is it just a hacking program that he could use to his own advantage, or is it something more? No, it couldn't be, computers aren't much more than programming and electricity. Yet, somehow, sometimes he feels as if he can hear someone talking to him...

Trouble
Don't Underestimate Me! (Alternate titles: I Will Prove My Strength, and I'm Not A Weakling!)

Pride in his body, mind, and work are all Daniel has these days. Due to his busy schedule between work, martial arts training, and The World, Daniel doesn't have many friends outside of the game, and thus Daniel finds that one of his good qualities in life are the pride he has in everything he does have time for. Daniel will not allow anyone to say that he isn't good enough or something is impossible for him to do, because he works too hard for someone to underestimate just how much strength he has.

Free Aspect
Big Game Hunter

The stronger the monster, the better the kill. Daniel makes it his goal in The World to kill the strongest monsters and bosses, one day working his way up to the strongest boss of all.

Skills:

Player Skills: (9, max of +3)

Will +3
Emote +2
Contacts +1
Interface +3

MMO Skills: (16, max of +4)

Class Techs +4
Lore +3
Friends List +2
Defense +1
Inventory +2
Class Weapon +4 (Martial Arts Hand Wraps)

Stunts:

Bestiary Lore: When Daniel makes a Lore check on monsters and bosses of The World, add a +2 bonus.
Muay Thai Kick: When invoking the temporary aspect "Meditation - Attack Up", if the very next attack roll you make is successful, add one extra stress to the damage.
--- : When invoking the temporary aspect "Meditation - Defense Up", if the next attack is made against you is successful, lower any damage done to you by one stress box.

MMO Stress System:

[ ][ ][ ][ ]

Player Stress System:

Mental Stress: [ ][ ][ ] Consequences: OOO

Compromised Consequences(1-4):
OOOO

Refresh: 2

KamenZero fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2014 around 04:52

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Let's get serious!!

Kaito Hitomi / Baccarat
Refresh: 3
MMO Stress/Consequences: OOO [-2/-4/-6]
Compromisation: OO [-2/-4/-6]
Mental Stress/Consequences: OOO [-2/-4/-6]

High Concept: Freelance Rogue
If you need a particular piece of data, data someone else doesn't want you to have, them Kaito Hitomi can get it for you. If you can meet her price. Hitomi enjoys her work, but she isn't going to do it pro bono. At the same time, she values her independence - fiercely. She's worked alongside gangs from time to time, but she stubbornly avoids joining any group officially, or letting herself get suborned to any organization, if she can at all help it. In fact, the only time Hitomi works on spec is to take down a peg anyone who thinks they have something over her.

Hacker Rationale: Grand Theft Data
Hitomi is a thief first and last. She just happens to live in an age where the best loot comes from cracking passwords instead of safes, and knocking over firewalls instead of jewelry stores. As such, she doesn't bother with hacktivism, trolling, or prestige hacking unless its a way to further a theft. She tends to look down on other hackers, who are too busy comparing the length of the virtual dicks or spouting loopy puritanical political ideologies to get the job done.

Trouble: Forced Bet
Hitomi has always been willing to take risks. She loves to gamble, in part because she has a good head for odds, in part because she isn't afraid of tweaking those odds in her favor, and most of all because she enjoys the thrill of it. Unfortunately for her, she took one too many. She probably shouldn't have taken the job. In retrospect, the pay was a little too high for something simple like stealing a World account. Even if the character was supposed to have a powerful unique item. It turned out to be a trap, and now she's playing for very high stakes. Hitomi has wagered her freedom against her skills.

Aspect: Powergamer
Hitomi doesn't care a whit about the World's lore. She doesn't care about roleplaying. She doesn't even care whether or not her current gear set is eye-searing. She has discovered, however, that she really enjoys the crunch aspects of the game. Figuring out the best build, collecting the best items, optimizing everything as much as humanly possible, and then rubbing the newbs and roleplay nerds faces leaves her cackling with glee. She might be getting a little obsessive about maxing her stats out, though, and she takes getting beat no better than she ever did.

Class: Twin Blade Advanced Class: Phantom Thief

When a Twin Blade branches out into a field of magic and thievery, the path of the Phantom Thief opens itself to them. While the class can deal damage, it is well known for it’s unique debuffs and ability stealing gimmicks, as well as how useful it can be for dungeon exploration.

Class Type: Physical
Class Role: Balanced
Class Weapon: Dual Swords, Throwing Blades

Skills:
Character:
+3: Speed
+2: Melee, Impossible Thievery*
+1: Detect, Inventory, Ranged

Hacker:
+2: Contacts, Integration
+1: Trolling, Will
+0: Emote

Stunts & Extras:
Ability TheftClass: By invoking the aspect Calling Card created by Impossible Thievery, you can use one of the Stunts or Skills of the character affected by the aspect for a single action.

Min-Maxer: When Baccarat invokes an aspect while rolling a skill in which she is only Mediocre (+0) or Average (+1), she gets a +3 instead of a +2. However, this places the boost Min-Maxed on Baccarat. The next time she rolls a Mediocre (+0) or Average (+1) skill while Min-Maxed is in effect, she takes a -1 penalty to the roll. Min-Maxed is then removed.

Quarantine Protocol: When you perform a Data Drain, you may choose to sequester the data rather than immediately accessing it. You can choose when to integrate the data, or to subject it to analysis before integrating it, or even pass it off to another character to integrate.

Twin StrikeClass: When you make a successful melee attack against a target that deals a consequence, you may spend a Fate Point to invoke that consequence to make another melee attack against the same target.

Impossible Thievery (Class Skill)
This skill is the ability that allows the Phantom Thief to use their magic to debuff or confound enemies, unlock or disable dungeon obstacles, or steal the abilities of enemies.

Overcome: Yes You can use Impossible Thievery for disabling traps and magical hazards or unlocking doors or portals.

Attack: No.

Defend: Yes. You can use Impossible Thievery to defend against Trap attacks.

Create an Advantage: Yes. Impossible Thievery can be used to create optical illusions or even become invisible.

Special: Impossible Thievery can be used to place the aspect Calling Card on a character. Most Phantom Thief class abilities are most, or even only, effective against targets with this aspect.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Mar 29, 2014 around 00:23

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, this is seriously the last time I'm rebalancing this until play starts. However, I think this change is a lot more balanced and makes more sense than what I had before. So I'm changing roles ONE MORE TIME!

This is it until apps are called in though, for real. Definitely.

Roles now work like this:

There are four roles:

Tank:
When defending using an MMO Skill: you win ties automatically and can Succeed with Style with 2 shifts instead of 3

DPS:
When attacking using an MMO Skill: you gain one shift to your roll when you tie and can Succeed with Style with 2 shifts instead of 3

Buffer:
When Creating an Advantage using an MMO Skill: you gain one shift to your roll when you tie and succeed with style with 2 shifts instead of 3.

Technician:
When Overcoming using an MMO Skill: you gain one shift to your toll when you tie and can Succeed with Style with 2 shifts instead of 3

Is this just the specialist split into the 3 trappings? Yes, but it also means it's a lot easier to have the roles balanced against each other. which is why I'm making the change.

Most player comments are being given to me in the IRC rooms #redhandofdoom and #Persona if you guys have any ideas of your own.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2014 around 21:44

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

/

Alyssa Barrows/Mattieu

High Concept: The Paragon

Alyssa runs one of the biggest guilds in the World. Her guild has a reputation for its friendly open nature and is one of the most charitable newbie friendly guilds and it's constantly running events for all players. She's one of the most well known players in the World and is know particularly for exemplifying the characteristics of her guild.

Invoke To: Lead by Example, Make Friends, Leverage her influence and reputation
Compel To: Help those who need it, be recognized when attempting to blend in.

Trouble: Not A Solo Player

Alyssa seeks the company of others at any opportunity. She's always quick to start a conversation or to throw herself into social situations, and doesn't enjoy the thought of playing alone. It's what drove her to her guild and it's what drives her to help those in needs. Who doesn't like being surrounded by friends? If someone needs a helping hand, she can't help but to be there to give it.

Invoke To: Cheer Someone Up, To Find Company,
Compel To: Seek company, to avoid being alone, to do things with two that might be better suited to one,

Free: Loves The World

The World is a wondrous place and its mysteries exist to be found and enjoyed by all. Alyssa loves the world, for the things she's seen and experiences she had, she wouldn't trade them for anything. She's a fierce protector of it and the people who play, and doesn't take kindly to threats that might disable it. That's what brought her on as an agent, she doesn't trust Asuni and she's not taking any chances. If there's something going on, she'll find it.

Invoke To: Defend the World against threats, to root out the Worlds enemies, to make sure the World keeps its users safe, to discover its mysteries, to share the wonderous things she finds.
Compel To: Face threats agains the World at any cost, to seek out its wonderful mysteries at any opportunity.

Class: Holy Protector
A massive towering class that wears the heaviest of armors and is one of the strongest known classes defensively. Alyssa earned this class during a one time event involving a mysterious murder culminating in a demonic final battle. She and her guild managed to defeat the fearsome beast and the top five participants unlocked special 'holy' classes. she, as lead tank, earned the Holy Defender class.

Class Weapon: Sword and Shield

Role: Tank
Class Tech: Holy Protector
The Holy Defender is first and foremost a tank class, but it's no slouch in the offense, particular against unholy or evil creatures. It is able to preform defensive techniques to protect itself and preform defensive buffs on others with its holy magic.

Class Stunt: Cover - The Holy Defender seems to be in many places at once, once per turn it can take the damage of an attack in place of an ally.

Invoke To: Defend others, Withstand tremendous attacks, Defeat the unholy
Compel To: Be Hesitant on Offense, Be Forced to Engage at Close Range

Hacker Persona: White Hat

Well yeah she's kind of a hacker, and has picked up a number of tricks over the years. Her most coveted technique is her hacking countermeasures which allow her to foil the efforts of malicious hackers and would be script kiddy pk's. She's got no problem using such 'illegal' techniques against people like that! When it comes to protecting people and the World she'll use her abilities no problem, but she's pretty hesitant to use them otherwise.

Invoke To: Protect others against hacking, to protect the World from hackers
Compel To: Use her powers to defend the innocent, to defend the World, to avoid using dangerous techniques to harm people or the World.
Exploits: White Hat - Alyssa is well versed in hacking counter measures and is able to counterattack malicious hacking attempts on themselves and others.

MMO Skills:
+4: Friends List
+3: Armor, Class Tech
+2: Lore, Aggro
+1: Inventory, Class Weapon

Player Skills
+3: Emote,
+2: Contacts, Hacking,
+1: Will, Interface

Stresses:
MMO: OOO|OOO Consequences 2/4/6
Mental OO|O Consequences 2/4/6
Compromised Consequences 2/

Stunts:
Friends in High Places - When it comes to avoiding trouble for her actions Alyssa may substitute her contacts for her avoidance.
Let Me Ask Around - When seeking to appraise something, Alyssa can make it publically known to her friends list and substitute it in place of an appraisal check.
Personal Burden - Aly is able to use her emote defend an ally from mental stress. If she fails, she takes the stress instead.

Refresh: 3

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2014 around 00:42

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sarah Lindley

High Concept: Exiled From The Cryptography Department
If Sarah regrets anything about these past few weeks, it's that she didn't get into trouble for anything cool. She works for the NSA. Her business cards say "counterintelligence" on them. If any job would have interesting workplace problems, you'd think it would be this one. But no, Sarah didn't do anything interesting. She just had a few too many drinks at an office party and said a few too many things to the boss' wife. It wasn't even enough to get her fired. She was just sent on an "inter-department transfer" to the games division of all things. At least she won't have to look for a new job...

Class: Polaris Gunner

Whether you want to bind your enemies with the power of magnetism or fill them full of holes, the Polaris Gunner has you covered! This DPS class will be sure to draw you in with it's wide array of skills, whether you want to sit back with Rain Of Lead or get in close and rely on managing the all new Polarity and RPM mechanics to destroy your enemies! Find out more at http://www.theworldonline.asuni.com
-Class Weapon: Gatling Gun(Ranged)
-Type: Balanced
-Role: DPS
-Class Techs: Magnetism-themed buffs/debuffs that are easy to compel because someone at Asuni decided to make them stupidly realistic.
-Stunt: Equal And Opposite: When you successfully create a Positive or Negative Polarity aspect on a target, place the opposing polarity aspect on yourself. This aspect comes with one free invoke, whether you succeed or succeed with style.

Hacker Persona: NSA Spook
When people find out that Sarah works in counterintelligence, they think she fights James Bond. When she tells them she just works for the NSA, they think she's watching everything they do. You know what her job actually is? Sifting through way too much data for something that could be bad news, then decrypting it, then making sure that it's relevant in the first place, then sending that info over to the people who actually do things. It's honestly not as cool as the name makes it sound. Useful, but not cool.

As for exploits... Sarah does not use "exploits". She uses strictly legal techniques to monitor the flow of data through servers within the jurisdiction of the United States of America. If these strictly legal techniques allow her to know the positions of digital constructs in the massively multiplayer online role playing game she is being paid to investigate, that is simply a fringe benefit.

Trouble: “I’m Not Here To Play Games”
Some people would think hacking into a MMO to secure corporate secrets for the US government would be fun. These people do not work for the US government. This is still the same old daily grind Sarah stopped caring about years ago, it just has more daily grinding than usual.

Aspect: Is Here To Play Dressup Instead
It also has more fancy outfits than usual. So many fancy outfits. So many clothes to put on her digital waif with a gatling gun. They're not the best clothes, but that just makes her want to make a good outfit more. Sarah started this game because of her job. She keeps playing this game to make half a flamenco dress look good.

MMO Skills:
+4 Class Weapon
+3 Inventory, Class Tech
+2 Defense, Detect
+1 Armor, Lore

PC Skills:
+3 Hack
+2 Interface, Will
+1 Contacts, Trolling

MMO Stress: [][][][]
Compromisation: OOO
Mental Stress: [][][], Consequences: OOOO

Stunts:
-Big Sister Is Watching You: Because the NSA tries it’s hardest to have eyes everywhere, once per session Sarah may observe any one scene as if she was there.
-Good Enough For Government Work: Once per scene when Sarah ties on a roll, gain a boost due to her experience in making due with federal cost-cutting measures.
-Watching The Watchers: Because Sarah has extensive experience with anti-hacker countermeasures and their weaknesses, gain a boost when someone whose data she is monitoring takes a Compromisation consequence. By default she is only monitoring her own data.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Your MMO game seems to be getting a fair number of people, Devilmaydry! Out of curiosity, what's the status on the rules? How much has changed in the past week or so?

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

A... fair amount.

Either way, APPS ARE CLOSED NOW

I'll be making picks tomorrow. I should also have a new booklet ready by then for the people who got in to port their characters over.

Sorry about all the changes all the time, if any of you guys aren't up for things changing so much you can back out now before I make picks and I won't hold it against you.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, here are the picks!

Baccarat(Comrade Gorbash)

Trace(Omegagoo)

Furtuna(Davin Valkri)

Lazarus(ChrisAsmadi)

Pyrite(Rather Watch Them)

I also made a new booklet with updated stuff, so you guys will need to port your characters over.

Also, make sure tp tell me how your characters were dragged into this dead end of an investigation, too!

It'll probably take a few days for me to make the game thread, as well.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Let's get serious!!

I think I've got it updated for the final version!

Also my aspects already cover how I got dragged into this

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Version 2.0.0.1 (beta).

So, you want to know how I got started here? Ha. Last time I was reported for trolling with my Pyrite skin, some dumb moderator leaked the report on -The World-'s forum so everyone could laugh at how pathetic that guy was. I even posted a little jab at the kid about how gullible he was to let me have his stupid war-axe in the first place. I mean, I'm a Sealer! I can't even use axes!

I might have also mentioned a little something about liabilities with Asuni's trading system and how I can exploit it to get even more out of his inventory. Didn't say specifically how, but it was enough to get yet another dayban.

Once I was back in the forum I had a PM from our crotchety benefactor. He wants to know how I managed to get such a lengthy rap sheet for the same old scam. He figured I could make it more lucrative by getting paid to troll. To TROLL. Who wouldn't sign up for that?

So I guess I'm the "femme fatale secret agent" of this branch of the organization. I mean, it's weird, but I can do it for some dough upfront. No shame in acting like a girl if it's my job.

Revisions posted:

Class: Sealer

Class Weapon: Brush (Magic Melee), Seal (Magic Ranged)
Type: Magic

Class Skill: Calligraphy

The Sealer's Skill is a set of buff and debuff abilities involving slinging slips of paper at allies, enemies, or interactive objects to temporarily change their stats and properties through magic.

Overcome: Yes
I can recognize magic symbols and toss a seal to counter the spell's effect.

Attack: Yes, With A Catch
Calligraphy can attack like a Ranged Weapon, with the usual opposed Defense roll in response. However, I name a Basic Action before I make my attack. If my attack succeeds, I Seal the named Action until they next roll to perform it, at which time my Seal subtracts a penalty from the roll equal to the number of shifts by which the attack succeeded. (i.e., I can subtract from their next Attack if I name Attack, but the enemy can Overcome like normal.) I can only have one active Seal per enemy.

Defend: No
It's just paper.

Create An Advantage: Yes
I can plant a seal on an enemy to weaken them, give one to an ally to strengthen their abilities, or stick one on a piece of scenery to activate an environmental effect.

(Skill change) [Class] Gonna Give You The Slip: When I use Calligraphy to Create an Advantage on an enemy, I can add a free tag to the resulting Aspect. The Aspect (denoted by the preface "Seal:") can be invoked before the sealed enemy's next turn to give them -2 to their next roll as well as its usual function.

Hacker Rationale: Textures-Am-Me

(Addition:) I know all the "real" hackers think exploiting the game's code is "art," but my texture hacks are really really art. I get all sorts of praise for my custom skins. Y'know, when I'm not getting temp bans. I thrive off of that, almost more than newbie tears. I love crafting a beautiful texture and walking around a town with it on display. It really makes my rap sheet worth the hassle.

MMO Skills

+3: Calligraphy
+2: Inventory, Support
+1: Detect, Speed, Stealth

Player Skills

+3: Trolling
+2: Emote, Will
+1: Integrate, Hack
+0: Contacts

MMO Stress
[1][2][3] (-2/-4/-6)

Mental Stress
[1][2][3] (-2/-4/-6)

Compromisation
[1] (-2/-4/-6)

(Parameters changed) Swift Kick In The Buff: Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a support class. As long as I'm not under attack, when someone uses Tanking to Create An Advantage I can give them one more MMO Stress at the end of their track to tank hits I'm not taking. This extra box (labeled [^]) will go away when filled, or when the target of the Aspect is Taken Out. Oh, and I can only have one of these stress boxes floating around at a time. It's really the least I can do.
(Rephrased) If You Got It, Flaunt It: Newbs will give a seminude doll anything, whether she can use it or not. Once per scene, I can give someone (including myself) an incredibly overpowered Class Weapon they can use, with the aspect Right Tool For The Job and one free tag only to be used for Attacking. I might have also reskinned them to look more harmless, just for the lulz.
(Trolling stunt remains intact.)

Rather Watch Them fucked around with this message at Mar 19, 2014 around 03:38

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Pretty sure my changes are made. Give me a shout if I need to make more.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

My changes are in the character sheet above.

As for why our mysterious employer is hiring Chester, of all people? They need someone who... *sigh* knows the ins and outs of the game. Regardless of his less-than-stellar reputation, Chester is known to be one of the best players in the game; just, no one wants to deal with him and his 'quirks'. Thankfully, the employer doesn't really care about his personality, and merely needs his skills.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

My sheet is updated in a new version on gdocs.

As for why he's working for this new employer, well, Ivan has been assisting the CIA in various operations occasionally over the years - usually using his personal supercomputer, his family's vast assets or his own personal hacking skills. It's no small stretch that one of his CIA contacts could recommend him for a clandestine operation within an MMO, especially one he's known to play.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ah, just for the sake of clarity, Matthias has two reasons to work with this investigation, per the aspects. One, if he does find anything illegal, he gets to plea bargain away any accusations that he was part of it. Two, he wants to prove to himself and two the company that bought him out that he's still got the programming chops to forge his own road.

And what better person to help an investigation than an employee (admittedly one not directly in Asuni's hierarchy) who knows computers and helped work on the World and is occasionally mindhacked by something else?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Let's get serious!!

Since devilmaydry was asking on irc, Hitomi was really into -The World- when it first came out, but after about the first two years sort of got bored with it. One reason she has a "vanilla" class is that it's one she remembers how to play. The others are that she likes the TB character models and that they have the best thief advanced classes. So she's sort-of familiar with the game, but a it's changed a lot since she's played. Like if someone had played vanilla WoW and had quit before around when BC came out, and was just now coming back to it. Hitomi probably enjoys playing more than she lets on, but she likely wouldn't have come back on her own.

Also she is totally into this purely for the money and because she's getting blackmailed.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Game thread is up!

Let's see how seep the rabbit hole goes

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Did this game end up like all those WoW clones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Version 2.0.0.1 (beta).

Sorry, I've been pelted by Hell Week for one of my productions over here in real life. I'll write something soon.