Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«85 »
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #271
"Smilin'" Glen Johnson

"What thief walks through the till? I told Uatu that we did not know there was a difference and offered to pay for the other toilet seat."

Welcome to the Premier League March thread! Here's the table.

And here are some fixtures:

There are some International friendlies in between the first and 2nd weekend of the month. There are some fixture casualties on account on the Capital One Cup Final on March 2nd, and the FA Cup 6th Round on the weekend of the 8th and 9th. There will be some catch-up fixtures played mid-week on the 25th and 26th though, including the Manchester derby! There are some other exciting fixtures like Man United v Liverpool and Spurs v Arsenal, both on the 16th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsuit
Oct 27, 2013

some easier fixtures coming up for us (stoke), fingers crossed we'll stay up (lol yeah right)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #271
"Smilin'" Glen Johnson

"What thief walks through the till? I told Uatu that we did not know there was a difference and offered to pay for the other toilet seat."

Stoke will be ok, you're decent enough at grinding out results. Fulham are almost certain to go down, I think Cardiff and maybe West Brom will join them.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 29, 2011

Cardiff, WBA and Palace will go down.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Congratulations to one of Chelsea or Liverpool on their title.

Edit: Arsenal is going to get one point in the next three matches and it will be from another nail-biting 0-0 draw with Chelsea.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

double sulk posted:

Congratulations to one of Chelsea or Liverpool on their title.

Once City plays all their games in hand (it's gonna be like 3 games after this week) they'll be in 1st place imho

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW

e:wrong thread

LT.CrownRoast fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2014 around 17:17

Pantsuit
Oct 27, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Stoke will be ok, you're decent enough at grinding out results. Fulham are almost certain to go down, I think Cardiff and maybe West Brom will join them.

true, but for some reason we're always really bad when it comes to lower prem teams

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Our season is over. Can't see us finishing higher than fourth now and I'm slightly terrified of failing that considering how shite our form is. If we can get through the tough patch and stay in fourth then we're not going to lose it in the final few games.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Also ,

Has anyone used or heard of http://news-source.tv/ ? It seems like a similar way of getting HD feeds to the Al Jazeera stuff we had going at the beginning of the season.

£27 or something for a years access. HD feeds, mobile etc.

Just spoken to someone who has it and it looks pretty great.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Sorry for three posts in a row but I'm melting the gently caress down about this.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/l...g-lfc-to-court/

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

not not luvd posted:

Our season is over. Can't see us finishing higher than fourth now and I'm slightly terrified of failing that considering how shite our form is. If we can get through the tough patch and stay in fourth then we're not going to lose it in the final few games.

You're still finishing third, who's going to finish above you? Liverpool? lol

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

not not luvd posted:

Sorry for three posts in a row but I'm melting the gently caress down about this.

John Henry owns

Carrier
May 12, 2009

PWM POTM, August 2013 (student edition)

WHOOSH

chuggo is BACK posted:

Spurs, I believe. There wont be a st totteringhams day this year failcenal!

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

chuggo is BACK posted:

Your form is incredible, you have two strikers scoring all the goals and we look like we're feeling massively sorry for ourselves and our forward options are shite.

See also my post the second Theo got injured.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

not not luvd posted:

holy loly what a despicable piece of poo poo, I hope Suarez melts down and bites him.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:</b><br /> Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Liverpool would have won in court anyway, because Arsenal tapped him up and never should have known about the release clause in the first place, we've been through this.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

Blue Screen Error posted:

Liverpool would have won in court anyway, because Arsenal tapped him up and never should have known about the release clause in the first place, we've been through this.

Can't wait for blue footed boobie to see this

Carrier
May 12, 2009

PWM POTM, August 2013 (student edition)

WHOOSH

Actually, the clause wasn't valid because I support Liverpool. Or alternatively, as an Arsenal fan, the clause was binding.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

talking to someone's agent has never been tapping up, nor will it ever be. You could argue that Suarez would not be allowed to communicate with a rival even through an intermediary but there's absolutely nothing illegal about Arsenal having his full contract reproduced by anyone else.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Spangly A posted:

holy loly what a despicable piece of poo poo, I hope Suarez melts down and bites him.

Do wonder how he'll react. I'm a little bit gutted.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:</b><br /> Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

chuggo is BACK posted:

I can't wait for Finn to tell everyone to shut up about it

euroboy
Mar 23, 2004

Spangly A posted:

talking to someone's agent has never been tapping up, nor will it ever be. You could argue that Suarez would not be allowed to communicate with a rival even through an intermediary but there's absolutely nothing illegal about Arsenal having his full contract reproduced by anyone else.

This.

John Henry owns though, always nice to see an owner saying what everyone thinks: contracts doesn't really mean anything.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Spangly A posted:

Talking to someone's agent is precisely tapping up. Arsenal tapped him right up

Spangly A
May 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Also to not be boring, this seems like a really dumb thing for him to say. Suarez is a strange lad and it's not utterly unrealistic that he's going to throw the worlds biggest shitfit about this. I seriously doubt he'd stop playing well out of spite but I can imagine he'll be upset in the summer.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Clearly the correct way to setlle this is to take all the goals and points suarez has won for liverpool and add them to arsenals tally

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Clearly the correct way to setlle this is to take all the goals and points suarez has won for liverpool and add them to arsenals tally

no don't!!

euroboy
Mar 23, 2004

That's why clubs hire agents or lawyers of their own to communicate with other agents. The tapping up rule is pointless.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

No it precisely isn't bse, tapping up only refers to a club rep making contact with the player. Why else do you think agents even exist? The common use of the word is wrong.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #271
"Smilin'" Glen Johnson

Spangly A posted:

I presume he knows already

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

not not luvd posted:

Haha drat.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009
This space
intentionally
left blank

not not luvd posted:

Lol at least someone's admitting contracts don't mean poo poo in football.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jozy loves scoring like a fat kid loves eating cake.

not not luvd posted:

Hahaha I love John Henry. What a great owner.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

chuggo is BACK posted:

Not really sure what you want me to say other than its really dumb and makes no sense.

Good loving play by Henry, though. I just wonder what the deal was with the neutral looked at the contract and said "this definitely isn't a release clause".

Spangly A posted:

Also to not be boring, this seems like a really dumb thing for him to say. Suarez is a strange lad and it's not utterly unrealistic that he's going to throw the worlds biggest shitfit about this. I seriously doubt he'd stop playing well out of spite but I can imagine he'll be upset in the summer.

Hasn't Suarez signed his new deal already? That probably resolved all the disputes over it, which is why Henry is talking about it now.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2014 around 19:29

Spangly A
May 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

irlZaphod posted:

I presume he knows already

Yeah, his agent would have phoned a lawyer and said "they're talking poo poo, sue them" at which point he'd have agreed a nice new contract and got lots of money and everyone is happy, no dramas, the end.

Except now John Henry is going to the press about how he outsmarted everyone. I'd be livid, new contract or no.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Except now John Henry is going to the press about how he outsmarted everyone. I'd be livid, new contract or no.

It's also pretty weird in that they basically called Suarez a liar and hung him out to dry from a PR standpoint. The whole thing is really loving bizarre the more that I think about it.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

not not luvd posted:

Can you imagine how far ahead you'd be by now if you had Suarez?

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

DickEmery posted:

Can you imagine how far ahead you'd be by now if you had Suarez?

You're going to have to try harder.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

quote:

They offered £40m+£1. What we’ve found … is that contracts don’t seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football. It doesn’t matter how long a player’s contract is, he can decide he’s leaving.

We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to. Since apparently these contracts don’t seem to hold, we took the position that we’re just not selling [Suarez].

'Sometimes players are able to force through a move, despite having years left on their contract, because the prospect of having an unhappy player at the club is unappealing.

We had to sell Fernando Torres against our will because he had a £50m release clause.

Therefore we decided contracts don't mean anything'

Weird logic, can be much more succinctly put as 'gently caress you, sue us to enforce the contract,' the contract still means something it's just a massive pain to enforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If contracts didn't mean anything, Torres would have left on a free.

«85 »