Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Spikes after a drop are really, really lame design. In no way are they skill dependent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Are you sure the grabby powerup isn't just a random proc? That would explain a lot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
What you say about the game being more of a slower paced puzzle style game is funny, because that's exactly how I feel when I go back and play the original Mega Man. Quite often I find myself on screens where the point appears to actually be to avoid the enemies rather than attack them. (Bomb Man's stage especially is like this). It creates an entirely different flow from the rest of the series and it seems so strange in comparison.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Interesting comparison to MM1. I wouldn't have thought of it, though the steam shots in Neptune at least are classic Elec Man (and bullshit!).

Lizard Wizard posted:

Are you sure the grabby powerup isn't just a random proc? That would explain a lot.
I do know that some enemies are plain immune to it (I might have forgotten to mention that? Dunno, these videos are over a month old, I'm having lots of real life right now), and I just can't find a good source to tell me if I need to hold the button or re-press it or whatever else. The truly maddening thing is that when I first played MMV, I know I pulled the clobber off all the loving time, so now I'm just totally confused and frustrated when it just doesn't work.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
So Capcom's got a poll up to see which Game Boy Mega Man game should go on the 3DS Virtual Console first.

We've got the four other Mega Man games besides Dr. Wily's Revenge, and the Mega Man Xtreme games. I liked Xtreme 2, but I voted for Quintum here. It'd be nice for people to legally be able to own that game without spending a buttload on a rare cart.

Plus, you know, Simon's making it look good and all.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah, MMV gets my vote. I have the ROM on a DS flash card, but it always freezes when I select Saturn's stage, so I've never finished the game. :argh:

Also I heard that Mega Man Xtreme is pretty bad, so there's that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Xtreme2 isn't that bad, but it suffers from the "Too Small a Screen" problem that these games do, just exacerbated because vertical movement and dashing are a thing in the X series.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And it really doesn't have enough buttons.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Kurieg posted:

Xtreme2 isn't that bad, but it suffers from the "Too Small a Screen" problem that these games do, just exacerbated because vertical movement and dashing are a thing in the X series.

Xtreme 2 is what X5 needed to be, small screen be damned. I mean, switching characters whenever the hell you want is just great, and the parts system actually made sense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Though if memory served they still did the dumb thing of only giving the power to the character that landed the killing blow on the boss.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Xtreme 2 also has the best script.

Xtreme 2 Script posted:

For some unknown reason, the programs of Reploids are suddenly erased. The Reploids stopped moving and almost seemed like they had become hollow shells. This phenomenon was named "ERASURE" and began to frighten the Reploids... "Laguz Island" in the Southern Ocean. Here is where the Reploid Research Lavatory is located. One day, the readings of Reploids had instantly vanished. A lot of Reploids were erased! What happened in this island...? Maverick Hunters, X and Zero received the orders and head into action!

Xtreme 2 Script posted:

Sigma: Hmmm... You are the ones who made that noise!

Zero: Sigma!

Sigma: But this time, I have to thank you for doing that. Actually, Berkana went too far. Although, she did help me by keeping me entertained for a while. Hee hee hee.

X: It was you who started the incident! Sigma!

Sigma: Now is not the time for talk, now is the time to destroyed! You know, that I'm going to destroy you!

Zero: How dare you!

Sigma: Go for it! Fu Fu Fu Bwah ha ha! I'll be waiting for you. Bwah ha ha ha!

Fu fu fu you'll never escape, my lavatory!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I played a tiny bit of Xtreme and couldn't deal with the controls at all. I watched an LP of Xtreme 2 ages ago; I only remember that I thought it had a lot of neat ideas. But...controls. Would also say that MMV is far more worth it.

Music

Take Flight

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I have some issues with the premise of this game. "Dr. Wily's fourth attempt at world domination has failed and his name has once again faded from the minds of the citizens of the world"? Hitler only tried it once and it's taken a lot longer than a few months to forget him. Has everyone been inflicted with Alzheimer's?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Bruceski posted:

I have some issues with the premise of this game. "Dr. Wily's fourth attempt at world domination has failed and his name has once again faded from the minds of the citizens of the world"? Hitler only tried it once and it's taken a lot longer than a few months to forget him. Has everyone been inflicted with Alzheimer's?

Well, they just aren't thinking of him as much as they did. Do you think about Hitler everyday?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pyroi posted:

Well, they just aren't thinking of him as much as they did. Do you think about Hitler everyday?

Only when I update my homepage at the Hitlerblog and Fanfiction Archive .

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Discendo Vox posted:

Only when I update my homepage at the Hitlerblog and Fanfiction Archive .

I can't wait for the next chapter. I really hope Mussolini and Hitler get together :ohdear:

"The Mega Arm fires at the speed of light"

The worst unintentional pun.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the use of in-engine cutscenes. Makes it all seem more... realistic?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pyroi posted:

I make ironic Hitler jokes all the time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bruceski posted:

I have some issues with the premise of this game.

At this point Wily fails so often and so quickly everyone forgets about him inside of a week.

I have to agree with Simon about this devil fight. It's so slow. Soooooooo slow. Also boring. But it's better than having a brutally hard one since those are terrible, but I feel like there's a middle ground we're missing.

On the other hand, some really nice cutscene details - Light's custom thinking sprite is great, and the space launch was great.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The middle ground is no devil fight.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Naw, there's a way to make a Devil-styled fight interesting or at least less tedious. By making it so that the Devil can always be damaged or make it like the Mega Man And Bass one from the intro level.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

D_W posted:

Naw, there's a way to make a Devil-styled fight interesting or at least less tedious. By making it so that the Devil can always be damaged or make it like the Mega Man And Bass one from the intro level.

Doesn't it kind of cease being a Devil fight at that point?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Naw. Unless they completely alter the appearance and loose the deforming/reforming motif.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Devils are like disappearing blocks and surprise spikes.

The best thing you can do with them is not having them at all, but Capcom does not understand this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

D_W posted:

Naw. Unless they completely alter the appearance and loose the deforming/reforming motif.

The one from Mega Man & Bass DID do the latter of these things, though. Deforming and reforming, and consequently only being damageable in short windows of time, is the crux of a Devil fight. Even with the same body shape, a boss that doesn't do these things is not "Devil-style" at all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I completely forgot that this fight was even in the game.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I like the crystal devil from minus infinity a lot

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Devils suck, yo.

Sorry for no update this weekend (as if I had a schedule, ha), I was just lazy. To force myself to not be lazy, I hereby promise one tonight. (it's just uploading and making the update picture, not actual science like you are doing at the moment in the lab Simon, not that hard jeez)

To tide you over, in case you missed that, Quartum is on the archive!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Music

Pluto

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Those Met Tanks take off almost half your lifebar in a single hit? That's some grade-A bullshit right there.

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.
When I was watching the Pluto fight, all I could see was Neon Tiger, from Megaman X3. They're awfully similar. Both animalistic, both have that annoying dash and cling trick, and both shoot projectiles at odd angles, in much the same pattern.

My first thought was that Pluto was a ripoff of the Tiger. Turns out that Quintum predates X3 by about a year, though. It must be convergent evolution.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Pluto is supposed to be the God of the Underworld, but our Stardroid here looks more like Cerberus instead :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bluemage142 posted:

When I was watching the Pluto fight, all I could see was Neon Tiger, from Megaman X3. They're awfully similar. Both animalistic, both have that annoying dash and cling trick, and both shoot projectiles at odd angles, in much the same pattern.

My first thought was that Pluto was a ripoff of the Tiger. Turns out that Quintum predates X3 by about a year, though. It must be convergent evolution.
X3 was also made by Minakuchi, soooo...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, can you use this as an air dash? That's something I haven't seen before in an 8-bit Megaman game.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
I was just looking through the schedule for this year's Summer Games Done Quick, and saw that this game will be featured in their lineup! I'm interested to see how this game, which Simon has called slower than most of the others in the series, works as a speedrun.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

heytallman posted:

I'm interested to see how this game, which Simon has called slower than most of the others in the series, works as a speedrun.

Lots of sliding and Break Dash abuse, most likely.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Break Dash sadly is not an airdash. Still really loving useful!

So yeah this took a while uh did you guys notice Dark Souls 2 came out? Na poo poo excuse. Actually I was to busy having sex with my girlfriend. Yeah, that's far better!

Music

Jupiter

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 19, 2014

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Really seems like the item grabbing mega arm was put in as an afterthought once they were done with all the level design without really thinking about if it would break those item challenge rooms.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

MR. J posted:

Really seems like the item grabbing mega arm was put in as an afterthought once they were done with all the level design without really thinking about if it would break those item challenge rooms.

The item grabbing ability is a purchase, right? Seems to me like it's more of a reward for investment than an outright mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

MR. J posted:

Mega man games usually have multiple solutions to problems.

• Locked thread