Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The half energy consumption upgrade seems like it would really benefit Salt Water's low ammo count, but is it really useful for the other weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm pretty sure doubling the amount of shots you have is great for any weapon.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

MR. J posted:

Really seems like the item grabbing mega arm was put in as an afterthought once they were done with all the level design without really thinking about if it would break those item challenge rooms.
Considering they probably very deliberately made two of the rooms hard require a special weapon (and from the respective other robot master, too, forcing a backtrack!), I'm sure they were aware. It really only comes into play to save you ANOTHER backtrack if you got the order "wrong". Like once. Also, it might not even occur to you that you can even do that, because it's not like a normal health or weapon pickup - it glows, yo! Surely you can't pick that up?

bbcisdabomb posted:

The half energy consumption upgrade seems like it would really benefit Salt Water's low ammo count, but is it really useful for the other weapons?
Saturn would sell his rings for it. If you're having trouble, after getting it, Mercury will have nigh infinite health restoring capabilities.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That new weapon looks like Megaman's shooting confetti out of his hand.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Couldn't you also Break Dash to get the shiny, or can you not make it over that gap?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You can't break dash in the air, and you can't jump while doing the animation.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Minus Green posted:

Couldn't you also Break Dash to get the shiny, or can you not make it over that gap?

Air dashing isn't until Megaman X2 I think.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kurieg posted:

You can't break dash in the air, and you can't jump while doing the animation.
This actually makes it really hard to use - you're commited! When practicing for Jupiter, I died a LOT in innocous gaps because I wanted to show off Break Dash to its fullest, but you really need to know its limits, but also its strengths. I love it because it rewards playing around with it in a way that rarely happens; another example would be Top Spin...and some of you might know how much I adore that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is there anything going for Electric Shock other than the fact that it's a melee weapon?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Is there anything going for Electric Shock other than the fact that it's a melee weapon?
You'll see!

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Kind of funny to me that Jupiter is the stage with low gravity, despite it having the highest gravity of any planet of our Solar System by far.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

heytallman posted:

Kind of funny to me that Jupiter is the stage with low gravity, despite it having the highest gravity of any planet of our Solar System by far.

They have low gravity systems in place to stop robots from being crushed. Cranking up their power is their idea of planetary defenses against Megaman.

It doesn't work too well?

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
Supposedly a lot of the Stardroids take inspiration from Greek/Roman gods.
Mercury:

Wikipedia posted:

He is the patron god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence (and thus poetry), messages/communication (including divination), travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves
There isn't much of a surprise here how he was inspired. His weapon literally steals. I want to say there could be some science behind his design as well in regards to his liquid form, but I don't know much about chemistry and the properties of mercury.

Mars, of course, is the god of war. The fact he has missiles, mines, and bullets as attacks makes sense.

The only real thing linking Venus with the Stardroid counterpart is mainly in the stage. In mythology, Venus was born of sea foam and this is heavily apparent in the stage. You could also argue the bubble bomb could go hand-in-hand with that as well. His design is crab-like too, and of course crabs are very much associated with the sea.

I really shouldn't have to explain Neptune at all.

Jupiter is the god of the sky and lightning. He has a lightning weapon and he stays airborne throughout the entire battle.

Pluto is another tricky one. He's associated with the underworld, but there's also this:

Wikipedia posted:

...a god of wealth, because mineral wealth was found underground, and because as a chthonic god Pluto ruled the deep earth that contained the seeds necessary for a bountiful harvest.
Another reflection of this in the stage more than the design. His stage is very much like an underground cavern. It could be a bit grasping at straws, but a story involving Pluto has him abducting a woman. It would make sense that he's rather fast in that regard. No idea where they got the furry idea though.

I'll hold off on explaining the others seeing as how we haven't seen them yet.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Oh man, Quintum. How did I miss this thread being here for two months. This is my favorite GB Megaman.

Incidentally, awhile back somebody in the Megaman thread posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeRzAV7Ah0

It's a fan animation based off of the opening for Tatsunoko vs Capcom (I think? One of those Capcom vs. *franchise* fighting games), that's supposed to be a potential OP for an anime based on the Megaman Megamix manga. I'm linking it because the main badguys in the last few chapters of the comic are the Stardroids, and I thought it would be appropriate to post in this thread.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

SGR posted:

Pluto is another tricky one. He's associated with the underworld, but there's also this:

Another reflection of this in the stage more than the design. His stage is very much like an underground cavern. It could be a bit grasping at straws, but a story involving Pluto has him abducting a woman. It would make sense that he's rather fast in that regard. No idea where they got the furry idea though.

I'll hold off on explaining the others seeing as how we haven't seen them yet.

Pluto's clearly modeled after Cerberus :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SGR posted:

Supposedly a lot of the Stardroids take inspiration from Greek/Roman gods.
Mercury:

There isn't much of a surprise here how he was inspired. His weapon literally steals. I want to say there could be some science behind his design as well in regards to his liquid form, but I don't know much about chemistry and the properties of mercury.

Mercury is the only metal that's liquid at room temperature.

Anyone who's read an issue of "Metal Men" would find it very difficult to forget that. It was brought up fairly often.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

chiasaur11 posted:

:doh: Of course. I wrote that early in the morning so I wasn't thinking straight.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

chiasaur11 posted:

Anyone who's read an issue of "Metal Men" would find it very difficult to forget that. It was brought up fairly often.

Bromine would like a word with you
. :colbert:

Bromine isn't a metal. :downs:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

chiasaur11 posted:

Gallium's pretty close though - it'll melt at just under body temperature, so on a fairly warm day it'll be a liquid. At STP though, you're right, mercury is the only liquid metal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of amazed that a boss fight has weird repercussions because the screen is too big for it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Music

Uranus

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Wow that mini boss was way more interesting than any of the main bosses.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Seemed like they were really running out of ideas for boss weapons there.

"Hey, it's been 7 years since Guts Man, just call this one "Deep Digger" and let's call it a day.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DukeofCA posted:

Seemed like they were really running out of ideas for boss weapons there.

"Hey, it's been 7 years since Guts Man, just call this one "Deep Digger" and let's call it a day.
You'll notice I always call Electric Shock "Jupiter" in the video. There's a reason for it, and it's certainly not that the name is too memorable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Deep Digger is more or less a weapon for exploration in this game. Outside of getting those gem things, I don't seem to recall using it a lot. Maybe it gets used in the later levels- Saturn is where my ROM kept freezing so I could be wrong.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Were they... going for an Ancient Egypt vibe there, out in space?

:aliens:?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Music

Saturn

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

That gravity mechanic was pretty interesting.

I noticed something. When you shoot out Mega Man's arm and then slide the sliding sprite still has his arm when the running sprite does not. A bit of an over sight on their part.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Fun fact for the day: Saturn is the Roman god of Time, which should explain Saturn's time stopping. :hist101:

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

D_W posted:

I noticed something. When you shoot out Mega Man's arm and then slide the sliding sprite still has his arm when the running sprite does not. A bit of an over sight on their part.

I think they had to leave it because during the video you can also see Mega can slide while holding a block to throw.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Saturn is like Galaxy Man combined with Centaur Man.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord. Black Hole and Rush Jet? Pretty great rewards for just one stage.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Only one more to go after this!

Music

Space Rush Stage

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This is the best stage. So many parts of it are what sold me on V being my favorite GB megaman. The reveal after Terra, the zoom-out in the rush level, all of it. It just does a lot of things other MM games did not, which is fun, even if it's not "technically" the best level. Whatever. :allears:

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 28, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The tiny megaman sprite for this boss-fight is what sells me on this part. Holy crap that is good.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

The tiny megaman sprite for this boss-fight is what sells me on this part. Holy crap that is good.

I enjoyed chibi Megaman as well. I also bought MMV and IV a few days ago based in part on this, but mostly because I always wanted to get them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That side-scroller shooting section reminded me a lot of Kirby Super Star, with the sudden change in genres and all. Since Kirby Super Star is a great game, this is a good thing. It looked fun, at least.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I had real trouble with this stage and thus don't like it. But I recognize that it's a nice change to the usual formula.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That is a really good Wily reveal. Castles are for consoles, the doctor's moving on up to SPACE ORBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Mordaedil posted:

I thought the same drat thing when I saw that sprite. A very short, unconventional level, but a pretty cool change-up of the usually very typical Mega Man formula. Looking forward to the final section of the game, especially seeing as how I didn't watch this at SGDQ when they ran it!

• Locked thread