Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Master of Magic is the second of the three 4X strategy games designed by Steven Barcia, developed by SimTex, and published by Microprose. This 1994 title chronicles the struggles of mighty wizard-lords to build their empires over the twin worlds of Arcanus and Myrror, amidst the ruins of earlier ages.

The dwarves of Goldwash, however, do not know what the future brings. They know only that the new queen they have crowned promises them a future filled with wonders...

Spoiler Policy

Goldwash is a small town set in a world that has fallen far from its heights under the Confederation of Wizards of ancient days. They do not know with certainty what lies in the world about them. That said, there may be rumors and legends of other peoples and strange monsters from ancient days. Please keep content that may be spoilers in a vague form that fits with rumors from a forgotten past.

Petitions Policy

Dagmaer Flodmarsdottir is the Queen of Goldwash, and, as such, she ultimately rules. That said, Queen Dagmaer wishes to give ear to the concerns of her people and to openly share any information available to the crown to the people. Petitions raising concerns, requesting changes in policy, or requesting reports on any information available are always welcomed, and shall be addressed by the Queen. By the will of her people and through the blessing of the Four Bright Gods does she rule, and none shall be ignored when they speak.

A Technical Note

This Let's Play makes use of a mod co-designed by myself and my friend Reiska, and programmed by Reiska. The mod's effects are relatively minor, and are fully documented here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8wmvPcl58BDaUdfNzk1YUJWMTQ/
The mod files themselves are available from this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8wmvPcl58BDQnByQUg1WDlYMGc/

Dwarven Names

I have been using http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Icelandic_Names as a reference for dwarven names, with the 'surname' in all cases being a patronymic indicating the dwarf's father. It may be useful for those who wish to make petitions in-character.

Updates

Firstmonth 1400-The Kingsmoot
1400-The First Year of Her Reign
1401-The Battle of Stonegate
1402-The Golden Company
1403-A New Found Land
1404-The Fortress Town of Stonehome
1405-The Royal Army
1406-The Great Hunt
1407-Osterland
1408-The Kingdom of Bloodrock
1409-The Return of Eigil Einarsson
1410-Like an Orb of Molten Gold
1411-Nature's Fury
1412-The Second Birth of Vigny Rolfsdottir
1413-The Conquest of Stonehome
1414-The High Protector of Fairlands
1415-The Year of the Evil Moon
1416-Beyond the Second Tower
1417-The Men of the North
1418-One Who is Called and Chosen
1419-The Black Brotherhood
1420-The Crown of All Myrror
1421-The Watchful Eye of Dagmaer
1422-Whosoever Drinketh of the Water I Shall Give Him
1423-The Power of the Lord Protector
1424-The Mystery and the Marriage
1425-Freeport
1426-The Past and Present Queen of Bloodrock
1427-The Fire of Inspiration
1428-Regarding the Inevitability of Death and Taxes
1429-Rumors of War
1430-New Endeavors
1431-1432-The Breach of Myrror
1433-The Fall of Horus the Holy
1434-1435-The Master of Magic

Lore

Regarding the 'High' Races
Regarding the Four Bright Gods
Regarding the Five Magics
Regarding Nodes of Magic
Regarding Dark Elves
Regarding the Dragonkin
Regarding Dwarves
Regarding the Beastkin
Regarding Sss'ra, Mad King of Bloodrock
Regarding the Honeybee, the Crimson Beetle, and the Gray Weaver Spider
Regarding Horus the Holy, High Protector of Fairlands
Regarding High Men
Regarding Orcs
Regarding Gnolls
Regarding Halflings
Regarding Tauron, Husband of the Flame, Court Wizard of the Storm Tribes
Regarding Low Men, or the Folk of the Storm
Regarding the Span of Years of the Races
Regarding the Count of Years in History
Regarding Freya, Elvenqueen of the Wind Tribes
Regarding the Remnants of the High Elves
A Roll of the Great, as of 1417
Regarding Klackons
Regarding the Wizards of the Confederation
Regarding the Worlds and Their Differences
Regarding the Lands and Seas of Myrror
Regarding the Seven Realms of Myrror at the Beginning of the Fifteenth Century
Regarding the Spell of Mastery and the Fall of the Confederation of Wizards
Regarding Meals of the Various Myrran Races
Regarding Lizardkin
Regarding Brown Men
Regarding the Realms and Towns of Arcanus as of 1421
Regarding the Taxes and Levies of Greater Dvergursheim
Regarding the Great Schism of the Elves and the Rise of the Dark Elven Empire
Regarding the Ancient Elves
Regarding the Realm of Freeport
Regarding Rjak, the Defiler
Regarding the Origins of Bright and Dark Magic
Regarding that which Failed in the First Casting of the Spell of Mastery

Reiska's Mechanics Corner

Map Generation and Neutral Towns
Outpost Growth Mechanics
Wizard Personalities and Objectives
Ranged Magical Attacks
Wizard Attitudes and Diplomacy

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Kingsmoot

In the dim twilight world of Myrror, we, the dwarves of Goldwash, have finally found a measure of safety after the Dark Ages and the terrors that followed the fall of the Confederation of Wizards. The greed and power-lust of ancient wizards cast down their wonders and the worlds were laid waste, but we know that we, at least, still yet survive.

In the final month of the year 1399 after the foundation of the Confederation, our old king, Gjafvaldur Geirsson, finally perished, old age claiming him and bearing him to the Four Bright Gods. With his death, as is our way, we held a Kingsmoot that the people might choose who shall next wear the crown. Three set themselves forward for the honor, and their cases were heard. Harald Gjafvaldursson, son of the old king, sought the crown by virtue of his upbringing and his strength at arms that he may safeguard the people. Engla Jonssdottir, a wealthy weaver and investor in the shops of other weavers, put forth her name as one who has deep roots in the burghers and townsfolk who are the true strength of we dwarves. But neither of these could match what was demonstrated by Dagmaer Flodmarsdottir. Before the gathered folk of Goldwash she called upon the Serene Mother and cured the wasting-sickness of Steini Nilsson, and assured us that through her learning and her devotion to the highest principles she might call upon not only the Serene Mother, but also the Righteous Queen, the Sagacious Counsellor, and the Stalwart Warrior that they might act to bring forth their will amongst us. We are promised a future of wonders, and who could find voice to oppose her claim to the crown with such promises?

Long live Queen Dagmaer! May the Righteous Queen ever guide her!

Goldwash, ca. Firstmonth 1400

Dagmaer Flodmarsdottir has taken the crown of Goldwash. She is yet untested, but her learning has let her begin to master the powers offered by the Four Bright Gods. A treasury in the value of 7,500 silver marks is at her command.

We see that Dagmaer has eight 'books' in Life Magic, which grants her potential to learn a great deal of Life Magic. We also see what special abilities she has as a wizard- in this case, Myrran, meaning she starts on Myrror. As dwarves are native to Myrror, we needed the Myrran ability to start.

Goldwash in the chief town of a little stretch of inhabited land, a pocket of dwarven civilisation remaining after the dark years of the past. It lies on a narrow coastal plain with the ocean to the east. A vast forest lies south and west, and two mountains stand nearby to northwest and southeast. The mountain to the northwest, Silverpeak, is mined for rich lodes of silver, while the little streams running to the ocean north from the southeastern mountain, Goldenheart, are rich with gold-bearing stones that are melted down by the smiths of Goldwash. The forests to the south teem with wild boar and other beasts, which are hunted and trapped to bring meat to the tables of the folk of Goldwash.

Goldwash itself is a town of strong stone and timber houses, home to four thousand dwarves, half of whom work the land immediately surrounding the town and half of whom are skilled tradesmen and burghers working at crafts, trades, and buying and selling within the town. The town hosts a garrison headquarters, a number of skilled metalworkers and smiths, and expert masons and builders, as well as the royal palace itself. Two companies of volunteer swordsmen, who have provided their own good steel swords, steel-rimmed shields, steel caps, and quilted armor, serve as the defense of the town against the dangers of the wilds surrounding it. Each numbers sixty strong, recruited from the town or from the countryside surrounding it.

The town currently produces four resources. Each farmer produces two food, which we see as loaves of bread. The wild game south of Goldwash also provides two additional food. Food is used to feed population and military units, so we currently use all six food produced- four to feed the town and two to support our troops. Production is displayed as pickaxes; each farmer produces half a unit of production, while each worker produces three. The forests and mountains near Goldwash provide a 31% bonus to the production thus supplied, due to abundance of timber, charcoal, ores, and stone for raw materials. Fifteen gold is produced by Goldwash, four from taxing the population, six from mining gold, and four from mining silver. Two gold from this amount is spent upkeeping the smithy and builders' hall in the town; our swordsmen, as volunteer troops rather than professional dwarves-at-arms cost no gold in upkeep; the extra food beyond their bare needs of survival is enough. Finally, Dagmaer produces thirteen mana by her own efforts in her tower, that she may allocate between practising her skills, studying and researching new spells, and building up magical power that she can use to cast spells.

A small court of advisors serves the Queen, ready to lend their services- and ready to share their knowledge with any folk who ask.

The Surveyor gives information on terrain and estimates what potential new towns may enjoy when settled on a given site. The Cartographer provides maps that show everything we have explored at a glance; probably more useful when we can't see the entire known world on one screen anyhow. The Apprentice shows us what spells Dagmaer knows, and lets us see what portion of her available lore she has yet to decipher in research. The Historian and Astrologer are basically pointless until we encounter other wizards, as they allow us to compare power over time and overall current power. The Chancellor provides updates on current events at the start of each turn, assuming there are any events to report. The Tax Collector lets us see and adjust the current tax rate. The Grand Vizier automates city production, which I shall not do. And the Mirror we have already seen.

In the town outside, the smoke of industry rises as the tradesmen of the town set to their work. Much can still be done to improve the town's prosperity.

This lists our current options for production in the town. The Sawmill and Miners' Guild will both boost production, the Marketplace will boost gold income, and the Granary will boost food income and population growth. The Library will help with spell research, while the Shrine will help pacify unrest when it appears and generate a little more mana. The Armory and Ship Wrights' Guild both provide more options for unit production, and City Walls help protect our garrison when our city comes under attack. Many of these structures will unlock further options along the line; for instance, both a Granary and a Marketplace will allow for a Farmers' Market, which further boosts food and population growth. Our only unit options now are volunteer Swordsmen, Engineers who can build roads to link towns for trade and speed military movement, and Settlers who can establish outposts that may eventually grow to new towns.

The year is 1400, and Queen Dagmaer sits the throne in Goldwash. Let those who have a voice to speak bring their concerns to her, that she may guide the folk with the justice of the Righteous Queen.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 9, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

With your Avatar why are you not the antmen? That aside, looking forward to this. One of my friends can't stop raving about this old game and it'll be interesting to see it in action.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah, this game is fun. I won about fifty percent of the time, which isn't bad at all.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Waiting for this thread is the reason I kept your Master of Orion Let's Play bookmarked! Very excited to see this happening.

Could I suggest you announce this in the Master of Orion thread?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
A Master of Magic LP!?

If that is the truth, then your work must stop!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Night10194 posted:

With your Avatar why are you not the antmen? That aside, looking forward to this. One of my friends can't stop raving about this old game and it'll be interesting to see it in action.

Because somebody else got me this avatar during my old Master of Orion 2 Let's Play. In which I was not playing the Klackon, either. I don't have any special fondness for the Klackon, despite what my avatar might imply. Hah.

Pierzak posted:

A Master of Magic LP!?

If that is the truth, then your work must stop!

You have come too late! My work has already met with success!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Master of Magic, one of the games I missed entirely so this will be an interesting journey of discovery and wonder.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
...non-integer image scaling? Seriously?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Pierzak posted:

...non-integer image scaling? Seriously?

I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

nweismuller posted:

Your images aren't exactly twice as large as when they started. It makes them a little blurry in a hard-to-define sort of way.

I remember playing a Master of Magic demo a bunch way back when. It came on a CD for Dragonsphere, and while I remember enjoying the basic gameplay and interface, the demo was broken and crashed every time I attempted to engage in combat. So that was kind of a bummer. Hopefully I'll finally see a complete game now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

nweismuller posted:

If you're scaling images from the default resolution (in-DOSBox scaling counts as well), scale them x2, x3 etc. Never x3.2 or other non-integer values, you either have to filter it (many people here hate that) or you have pixels of uneven size (many other people hate that). Either way, it looks worse than integer-scaled. Also why does every image have a different height? :psyduck:

(not trying to be an rear end in a top hat complainer; since it's likely gonna be a great LP might as well make it look awesome)

And I totally forgot dwarves were Myrran. It's been a long, long time since I played this.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 3, 2014

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Pierzak posted:

If you're scaling images from the default resolution (in-DOSBox scaling counts as well), scale them x2, x3 etc. Never x3.2 or other non-integer values, you either have to filter it (many people here hate that) or you have pixels of uneven size (many other people hate that). Either way, it looks worse than integer-scaled. Also why does every image have a different height? :psyduck:

Every image has a different height because I hand-crop the black borders somehow left over from screenshotting the game in DOSBox, and that has a merely human precision. I suspect the scaling is in DOSBox, because the extent to which I process the images is essentially non-existent. The same issue with images being different heights could probably be observed in my MoO2 LP as well, actually, since I did the same thing.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

nweismuller posted:

The year is 1400, and Queen Dagmaer sits the throne in Goldwash. Let those who have a voice to speak bring their concerns to her, that she may guide the folk with the justice of the Righteous Queen.

A simple parchment scroll with block character writing is delivered to Her Majesty's household

Your Majesty,

Thank you for hearing my voice. I've been aspeakin' with Aldin the Mason and Ulfar the Farmer, we've been thinkin' on our blessings. We're grateful, mum, for the mines in the hills and the bounty of the forests and the favor of the Four Bright Ones (thanks for their light!). These are good things to have, specially coming from hard times as we have.

Thing is, mum, Aldin and Skaluf and me think that if..well if there were -more- townsfolk we could husband these blessings better! Problem is, all the families are bunking two, three, four to a room. We were thinking more housing is needed, mum...say two or three new tracts. With that everyone could be more in a family way if you get my meanin'.

Some of the apprentices have talked about buildin' new grain buildings and what not...that's good but we should wait a while and get these houses up first.

I hope I'm not a bother, mum. Let me know if I'm out of turn.

Ranulf the Smith

---
OOC: Let me know if this is the sort of thing you have in mind, nweismuller.

No last names as I'm assuming the "-dottir" and "-son" suffixes are a nobility thing. Also, I'm assuming a small town atmosphere given our pop cap, hence the one head of the builders hall talking to the one guy in charge of the smithy.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 3, 2014

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Pershing posted:

No last names as I'm assuming the "-dottir" and "-son" suffixes are a nobility thing. Also, I'm assuming a small town atmosphere given our pop cap, hence the one head of the builders hall talking to the one guy in charge of the smithy.

This is absolutely the sort of thing I'm thinking of, and the small-town atmosphere is completely appropriate. We do have a number of masons and smiths, but still, it's only two thousand tradesmen in town. The '-sdottir' and '-sson' patronymics are universal, regardless of social class, though. It's a way to distinguish between 'John, son of Robert' and 'John, son of William', as it were, rather than a 'family name' marking a noble family.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Hail, your Royal Majesty.

I hereby petition to establish a Miner's Guild to exploit the rich veins of silver and gold ore within sight of our fair castle city. With this done, we will have all the wealth we shall ever need, and a good flow of iron for our forges. We shall never want for iron, both for plowshares and for the warhammers and axes we need should we find enemies at our gates.

Respectfully,

Asael Skoldson, of Skold Silversmithing and Jewelers

(yesss gettin in on the ground floor)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Finally, I was waiting for this. I am sure it will be a great LP, just like your last, nweismuller. And I am glad you are not playing the Klackons, they are not a good choice if somebody wants to show off most of the game.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Your Most Gracious Majesty,

The legends speak of a time when our kind was prosperous and populous, at least compared to the present age. There is a line of thought that suggest we remain here only because of that, in that were we not so far-flung, our kind may well have been lost to the ages. My Queen, I beseech you in the name of the good, the true and the right, to Spread our kind far and wide, establishing new settlements as quickly as possible over as wide an area as possible, that we may return to better days, and to better guarantee that, if tragedy and cataclysm should strike our nation, there will always be a fortress somewhere containing a spark to rekindle Dwarfkind.

Your faithful servant and humble subject,

Hróðvaldur Bjarnþórsson, Engraver, Scribe and Chronicler.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

At present, we only just produce enough food for our people. This means a poor harvest could be devastating. We cannot safely focus on other matters until this is threat is addressed. Thus I must push for the construction of a Granary at our earliest opportunity.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Pershing posted:

A simple parchment scroll with block character writing is delivered to Her Majesty's household
---

In Iceland and Scandinavia, patronymics was a thing everyone had. Kings might get nicknames, so you could keep track of the various Knut Eriksons, Erik Knutsons and Erik Eriksons. Later, the nobility in at least Sweden and Denmark got names based on their heraldries. So a family whose image was a headless troll got named Trolle, a family with a golden star got named Gyldenstjerne (like Guildenstern in Hamlet) etc. IIRC patronymics are still a thing in Iceland, but in Denmark they eventually became inherited last names instead. So for example the three prior Prime Ministers of Denmark were named Rasmussen, despite none of them having a father named Rasmus. [/namesperg]

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 3, 2014

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

My queen, it is good to see a ruler on the throne who wields the blessings of the gods! But I believe that your ascent to the throne means a great deal to the dwarven people, so much more. It is not merely a cause for celebration, but it is an call to glory. A call to return to days gone by, when the world knew of our might. A call to spread, a call to take that which is rightfully ours by destiny and by birthright.

Are the dwarves not the finest smiths and builders of the land? Did we not once build wonders that were the envy of the world? Ah, but these are not those nigh-forgotten days, when we stood at the right hand of the Four Bright Gods. No, we have fallen far, but with the strength of dwarven steel and the blessings of the Serene Mother, we can once more bring all the peoples of the world under our stewardship. And those who do not heed the words of the Sagacious Counsellor will surely understand the might of the Stalwart Warrior, no? Ah, but we are humble yet, for it has been long since we have firmly planted ourselves upon the world, and we must regain our strength. In the days of yore, angels and demons would heed our wills and serve as our warriors. While I fear that such wonders have been lost to us, it is only matter of time before our wisdom rediscovers them. We cannot spare any warriors to explore, for we must be kept safe against the perils of this world. Perhaps, then, a demonstration of our arcane might will show our power and wisdom to the world; even the simplest of magic spirits would be more than sufficient as our envoy.

Your faithful servant,
Gunnar Oddhildson

---

So how come eight life book Myrran dwarves, anyway?

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Your Most Serene Majesty,

Others have spoken of the myths and legends of ancient times, of glories that once were and may be again. I do not gaze into the future, though - instead I look at the present. And in the present it is the simple truth that we are a nation of miners without mines, and one of metalworkers without adequate supplies of metal. We simply need to expand our sources of metal. The establishment of a corps of settlers to seek minerals further afield may go some way to rectifying this.

Your servant,
Jan Eriksson, Prospector

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 3, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Your Majesty,

Allow me to be blunt. This advisory council consists of the majority of the literate dwarves of Goldwash. My colleagues in the Royal College account for most of the remainder. This needs to change, and a Library will go a long way towards making us a literate society, and towards increasing your own magical power. Power I suspect we will need, for the stars tell us at the College that great and terrible days are on the horizon. We must make ready, sharpening minds as well as swords.

Respectfully,
Katarina Bjornsdottir, Astrologer of the Royal College

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dwarves and Life Magic, that's how I played MoM way back when. Behold the greatest magic of all: moneeeeeeyyy

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

toasterwarrior posted:

Dwarves and Life Magic, that's how I played MoM way back when. Behold the greatest magic of all: moneeeeeeyyy

Life magic doesn't have much offensive value save against undead, but all the buffs your dwarves and their cities are going to have is going to be insane.

I don't know why it's so hard to make a game like this nowadays. Just take THIS GAME, give it a graphical overhaul, keep everything else and you've got a moneymaker.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Rabidredneck posted:

I don't know why it's so hard to make a game like this nowadays. Just take THIS GAME, give it a graphical overhaul, keep everything else and you've got a moneymaker.
People generally want to work on their own visions. Which is good; people working on their own visions are how games move forward. However, too many people don't understand what exactly made games like those good. Frequently, the people working on those types of games are details-and-numbers-oriented and their games reflect that. Take the entirely too many 4x games I've played where research only give you higher numbers rather than unlocking whole new toys to play with. +2 to culture generation isn't exactly something I sativate to unlock. And it's not a trivial thing to balance all those numerous factors in a fun way (though perfect balance isn't necessary--Master of Orion 1/2 and this game certainly weren't perfectly balanced).

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

People generally want to work on their own visions. Which is good; people working on their own visions are how games move forward. However, too many people don't understand what exactly made games like those good. Frequently, the people working on those types of games are details-and-numbers-oriented and their games reflect that. Take the entirely too many 4x games I've played where research only give you higher numbers rather than unlocking whole new toys to play with. +2 to culture generation isn't exactly something I sativate to unlock. And it's not a trivial thing to balance all those numerous factors in a fun way (though perfect balance isn't necessary--Master of Orion 1/2 and this game certainly weren't perfectly balanced).

Not just 4X games. Any game where you have research should really focus on horizontal rather than vertical advancement, as it were. If you really need incrementing numbers just tie them into things that naturally increase as the game matures.

Edit: I've never even heard of this game so I probably won't be able to make any decisions.

Daetrin fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 3, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
We need more settlers.
-Dag Dalmarson, Baker
(Chiselled onto a loaf of bread on the side table)

Wow, I was always terrible at this game; too much decision paralysis.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Life Magic on Dwarves sounds like a scary start, but a punishing ending. Here's hoping your scouts get enough mana crystals for some early expansion spells.

Rabidredneck posted:

Life magic doesn't have much offensive value save against undead, but all the buffs your dwarves and their cities are going to have is going to be insane.

They've tried to do this with the series Age of Wonders, with Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic getting about as close as you can get, with a little more emphasis on combat rather than complex city building.

Ahem, if we are to expand outwards to control the surrounding region, we need to better organize our food and harvests. We should build a Granary as soon as possible, then look to see what our scouts find before we decide on our next goal.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Your most Majesterious Queenship,

It is quite self-evidentiary to any of your subjectives that, if our fine nation is to thrift and expand, your Capital must have the spoke to grow into a great town city big city embustling metropolis worthy of your Queenliness. I hear almost daily of the shortening of enseasoned wood available to our carpenters; I can even attest in personality to the difficulties our wood-carvers face in their regular tributaries.

I must therefore suggest that perhaps a Sawmill might per adventure be a fine projectile for our builders to build craft construct embark upon, perhaps in the hope that fewer of your more intellectual citizenry are called on to take a turn with a saw.

Might I also be so bold as to request that you importune the Four Bright Gods to grant you blessings of healing, especially for blisters?

Your most Humblerable Servant,

Ingelbrecht Fjalarrsen, Second Apprentice Scribe

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

So how come eight life book Myrran dwarves, anyway?

I give you this:

toasterwarrior posted:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yer Eighness. Me's sick and tired of scrubbing plump helmet stew leftovers. It's sticky and tha scrubber reeks of half fer men teed wine forever. How bout ye build us a granary so that yer servants might eat somethin that smell more hi gee nic after being kept fer more than a week? Or give me a raise. That be nice too.

Urist. The janitor.

Lamia Domina
Apr 5, 2011
It is well-established procedure that the first order of business for any nascent Dwarven colony should be the securing of all foodstuffs in proper storehouse facilities, so as to prevent the proliferation of vermin, kobolds and other hazardous wildlife. The expedition advisor urgently suggests that the leader designate a storage area granary and suitable number of clean -tower cap barrels- for this purpose as our first order of business.

- Urist Uristsdottir, expedition advisor

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Rabidredneck posted:

I think they already tried that, but all we got was Age of Wonders.

Edit: drat, someone already beat me to it.

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011
Master of Magic was the favorite 4x game of my childhood. I've played the max-Life game before, but usually with Halflings. My Myrror race of choice was always Trolls.

Rabidredneck posted:

I had such high hopes for Elemental:War of Magic, and followed its development very closely. Despite saying all the right things, Stardock just couldn't put it all together. I hear Elemental:Fallen Enchantress was a vast improvement, but I played it for four hours before deciding that it was never going to be the update of Master of Magic I wanted it to be.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
Going to also go for granary. With the current city setup it'll finish building in only 4 turns, and once done will effectively be a 'free' pop point (generating 2 food for free; same as a pop point devoted to farming) as well as growing our capital city.

As far as early settler building goes, I'm going to assume that we're playing with at least the 1.31 patch in place and not out-of-the-box (since, y'know, nweismuller is savvy enough to bring in his own balance mod and all). Which, for those who've only ever played unpatched or primarily play other 4Xs, includes a LOT of neutral barbarian and monster spawns - to the point where any town that doesn't have at least two defensive units from the very beginning of the game is just begging to get steamrolled. IOW, I'd really recommend we build out our capital and explore a bit before risking too much on expansion.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The First Year of Her Reign

Upon taking up the crown, her Majesty Queen Dagmaer took the time to listen to the needs and desires of her people, weighing them in her mind before deciding that most urgent of all the issues before Goldwash was to ensure the security and abundance of its food supplies. She invested some of the royal treasury into the construction of granaries and windmills, helping to ensure that farm produce was efficiently processed and stored. By Fourthmonth of 1400, much of the construction was complete, the more abundant supplies of food helping to support more burghers and tradesmen in the central town.

The Queen was not idle in her studies while the people labored. Reviewing her books and experimenting with magic allowed her to unravel how to call upon the power of the Righteous Queen to protect people from evil magic and monsters. Before Her perfect justice, even the worst creatures of darkness would hesitate.

We can see on the left that, when checking spells through our Apprentice, that spells we can eventually research but have not yet learned are displayed in a cryptic runic font.

In Ninthmonth, Queen Dagmaer commissioned Vigny Rolfsdottir, a notable huntress, to raise up nine other hunters as an elite unit of scouts and soldiers for the defense of the town. These cunning and woodwise warriors may make all the difference for the town's safety, but their wages for service are not cheap.

You get the chance to rename heroes when you hire them, so I rename her to Vigny.

Heroes, unlike regular military units, only have a single figure, which can make them vulnerable to being outnumbered while they are still low in experience. Their potential for growth in power, however, is far beyond regular military units. Melee, Ranged, and Defense stats each represent 1d10 thrown by a figure when attacking or defending, with a 1-3 causing (or negating) one Hit of damage (although range to target can reduce the chance of a hit per die on ranged attacks). Each point of Resistance provides a 10% chance to resist the more subtle forms of magical attack, with a 10 Resistance providing complete immunity to unpenalised Resistance checks. Hits indicate how much damage a figure can take before dying.

Vigny's special abilities are Blademaster, Charmed, and Pathfinder. Blademaster gives her a natural +1 'to hit' per two levels she gains; this increases the chance of a 'hit' from 1-3 on 1d10 to 1-4 with +1, 1-5 with +2, and so on. Charmed makes it so she never fails Resistance rolls. Pathfinder, finally, makes it so that she and units grouped with her only use half a movement point in travelling over any crossable terrain in overland travel, which makes it so she can cover a great deal of ground very quickly.

Meanwhile, the volunteers swordsdwarves that defended Goldwash set to scouting far north and south of the town, finding, over the course of the year, many crumbled ruins that marked a bygone era, haunted by fearsome and terrible creatures. Wisely, they skirted clear of danger when they found it, simply marking the places of peril on their maps for report to the town.

Not all the sites of interest the scouts found were haunted by peril, however. A cave far to the south held the bones of some enormous beast, long-dead, and several books and scrolls with scraps of forgotten lore that Queen Dagmaer was able to put to use in her research, letting her call upon the Righteous Queen to weaken creatures of darkness in battle. Meanwhile, far to the north, in a searing wasteland, scouts found a tiny area settled by more dwarves, with its own central town of Stonegate clinging to the coast by the desert. Compared to Goldwash, Stonegate is a small and impoverished town, barely hanging on in hostile conditions.

Ruins can possess great treasures, if cleared of the monsters guarding them. You can also occasionally find 'neutral' towns, belonging to no player; neutral towns may periodically send out raiding parties. Stonegate has no defenders, and is entirely open to us.

South of Goldwash, a rich and fertile river valley runs through forests and grasslands from wellsprings at the base of Whiteshoulders, a mountain rich with quartz and gold. There is more rich hunting in the forests, and a strange forest grove bursting with life and vitality has just been found by scouts.

We can just see Goldenheart and the game that Goldwash has available to it on the northern edges of this map.

North of Goldwash, the land grows hotter and harsher, forests and plains eventually subsiding into searing desert. The foothills of a small mountain range, the Gray Mountains, contain rich deposits of iron ore, while strange plants grow in a sodden bog.

Iron ore provides a 10% discount to unit production costs, and nightshade, found in swamps, can be processed by priests or scholars to help protect a nearby town from hostile magic. We can just see Silverpeak at the southern edge of this map.

Over the course of the year the burghers and shops of Goldwash have prospered. A market square provides a gathering place for the people to buy or sell, while permanent shops of merchants and artisans have expanded. With more burghers and tradesmen in the town, the work of industry proceeds more quickly, with the various people pursuing their trades.

With the granary, we now only need one farmer to provide the food we need at Goldwash, so we now have one farmer and three workers. The marketplace increases Goldwash's total revenues to 22 gold, with 4 gold spent upkeeping the Builders' Hall, Smithy, Granary, and Marketplace. Population growth has grown from +60 per turn to +70 per turn, because of the Granary. Although the Granary says it increases population growth by +20, dwarves have a population growth rate penalty, reducing the impact.

The first year of the reign of Queen Dagmaer draws to a close. With hope, Goldwash may continue to prosper next year and each year thereafter.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

quote:

Urist

I would like to request that we keep from too many Dwarf Fortress jokes, please. Dwarf Fortress dwarves are incredibly crazy (and subterranean) in ways that MoM dwarves are not. It's not a big deal, let's just keep it under control.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Bacon In A Wok posted:

Going to also go for granary. With the current city setup it'll finish building in only 4 turns, and once done will effectively be a 'free' pop point (generating 2 food for free; same as a pop point devoted to farming) as well as growing our capital city.

As far as early settler building goes, I'm going to assume that we're playing with at least the 1.31 patch in place and not out-of-the-box (since, y'know, nweismuller is savvy enough to bring in his own balance mod and all). Which, for those who've only ever played unpatched or primarily play other 4Xs, includes a LOT of neutral barbarian and monster spawns - to the point where any town that doesn't have at least two defensive units from the very beginning of the game is just begging to get steamrolled. IOW, I'd really recommend we build out our capital and explore a bit before risking too much on expansion.

Yeah, I'm using 1.31 as the base here. As you can see in the readme for the mod, the mod does do a few things for balance, but in many ways preservation of flavor was even more important. Honestly, 'Most real-world city names in cityname.lbx were replaced with less real city names' was the very first change that was made in the mod, closely followed by a change to make Orcs more distinct from High Men and give them their own 'personality'. The other changes were made while we were at it, to address various little things that came to mind.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Glad to see this get off the ground. And you got one of my favorite early heroes too - Once you get a couple levels and a decent bow, Archer Heroes can obliterate a lot of battles untouched.

nweismuller posted:

Yeah, I'm using 1.31 as the base here. As you can see in the readme for the mod, the mod does do a few things for balance, but in many ways preservation of flavor was even more important. Honestly, 'Most real-world city names in cityname.lbx were replaced with less real city names' was the very first change that was made in the mod, closely followed by a change to make Orcs more distinct from High Men and give them their own 'personality'. The other changes were made while we were at it, to address various little things that came to mind.
Yeah, the Orc changes are pretty intriguing. Frankly, I have no idea why vanilla Orcs even existed since they had literally no distinguishing features.

• Locked thread