Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

NewMars posted:

Well, at least Ragnar Lodbrok is cool, right? Famous viking name can't possibly be incorrect, can it? :shobon:

I am serious here, is it not a correct name?

The most likely historical patronymic is Sigurðsson after Sigurð 'Hring' Randvérsson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
My Illustrious Queen,

I must admit disgust as to your consideration of the barbaric suggestions offered by certain others in your correspondence. It would be so very abhorrent to even contemplate bringing our neighbours harm; in the Confederation of old, all races were as brothers and sisters to one another, freely mingling in streets lit afey under the soft umbra of magic tamed (except in instances wherein certain Confederate races practiced genocide against them). Evidently, we should send military delegations to both settlements to display our magnanimity and united might, so as to better sway the local lords towards swearing fealty to you, the rightful ruler of these lands; by the grace of your power and your status as one divinely favoured, who better to lead these peoples that would be so obvious an asset, these peoples of scales and of spells? We must at least banish worship of their diabolic gods; to save their immortal souls, it is clear that we hold a divine mission to stamp away their heresy and establish institutions of our own resplendent pantheon.

Granted, they may express... minor hostility to our benevolent extension of authority and the correct religion, but such things are trifling concerns when dealing with yet-unenlighted foreigners. Indeed, they will surely come to appreciate Dwarven rule, what with the expansion of their infrastructure and cessation of regional conflict that we would bring. We could even give them sponsorship towards the settling of non-minerological colonies (it goes without saying that proper dwarves should handle the assets of bullion, after all) on the Great Continent; draconian sky-caravans, if we should listen to rumour, would certainly be useful in such affairs, to say the very least.

I must bring up only one more humble request; that we rename this island so near and so ripe for conquestuplifting from Osterland to Ireland. A quaint term, certainly not properly Dwarven, but nevertheless appropriate for its presence in existing historical documents (the existence of which I am, by no means, lying about).

Your Loyal Servant,
Ásberg Ásbergursson, Royal Cartographer 2nd Class and Advisor to the Throne

DentedLamp fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 13, 2014

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Regarding the Dragonkin

The dragonkin were, of ancient days, one of the peoples of Myrror who dwelled upon it in independent villages, until all were conquered first by the empire of the dark elves and then by the Confederation of Wizards. In the days of their independence the dragonkin were haughty and proud, and preferred to hunt the forests rather than till the earth. They learned many secrets of magic, and were great keepers of history and of lore, but they did not learn to work metal until they were taught the art under the yoke of others. They cannot be mistaken, for no other people bears wings, scales, a tail, and such marks of dragonkind on a form in many ways like in shape to other civilised races.

Now, however, the dragonkin till the soil to feed themselves and forge metal weapons and armor for their use, which although crude and unlovely by dwarven standards are serviceable enough. They fare better as hunters and woodworkers, in which they have some skill. Their hide is formidable and provides some protection beyond that offered by their armor, and a spark of Chaos within them allows them to breath out a jet of flame that is some small hazard in battle. Their dwellings are well-made enough houses of wooden planks, made fast one to another by cunningly-wrought wooden pegs. They better revere their savants than their artisans and tradesmen. Like the dark elves, they too have a woeful lack of skill at commerce and deal only a little in coin, many of them still relying on barter and trade in kind, with all the poverty that engenders in a people. They hold that by birth each of their kind is suited to a role or caste, and amongst them their trades are hereditary and inescapable. At their head rule their savants, their loremasters, and their priests, under them are their warriors, under their warriors their merchants, under their merchants their tradesmen, and under their tradesmen their farmers, their miners, and other such laborers. The savants and loremasters of the dragonkin might work some acts of magic, but up to this point their lore has been hoarded and kept secret, and their savants remain few. They have not quite the same mastery of the magical arts as the dark elves, but their skills should not be underestimated. Their rule in Fangrock is held by a Council of Five, their five greatest savants and priests, who plot against each other even as they plot against their enemies in Blademarsh.

They are fanatically devoted to their spiritual beliefs, but in their spiritual beliefs there is little veneration of the gods whatsoever, but rather a program of meditation and philosophy in which it is said their savants excel above all others. Their priests, if they may even be called 'priests', are meditative monks and nuns who have achieved some skill in the magics of Nature and Chaos, which they may exercise at will.

Though not true enemies of dwarvenkind in the same fashion as the dark elves, the dragonkin bear no love for the dwarves, and view our ways as alien. To us, also, are they alien, and much in their ways is difficult to endure.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 13, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Your Most Gracious Majesty,

If I might be so bold, there is an excerpt from the saga of King Einar þórsteinsson which may be relevant to our present situation.

"In the Eighth turning of Myrror since bold Einar was acclaimed king, He did forth: 'Let us hew ourselves a fleet of vessels and take our revenge upon the austurógnálfar and austurógndrekar, despoilers of our fields and raiders of our coasts.' By his word, the fleet was made, by his will did fair Eigil Einarsson captain the expedition. To our sorrow, they did not return: Thus was the line of þórstein the fair-handed extinguished."

I fear we are unlikely to find friendship and brotherhood in Osterland. I suggest that when we send our emissaries there, we do so in force, for their own protection if nothing else. Let us seek an accord if one is possible: If it is not, then the regrettable necessity of conflict becomes inevitable.

I remain your loyal subject and faithful servant,
Hróðvaldur Bjarnþórsson, Sage, Librarian, Engraver, Scribe and Chronicler.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
To her Majesty Dagmaer Flodmarsdottir, Queen of Dvergursheim.
From Asgeir Jonsson, sage of Stonegate.

My Queen. I do not belive that the petty kingdoms of the dragonkin and dark elves will submit to your rule willingly.
If they are to be brought out of their stagnation, it must happen by force. I think it would make sense to incorporate both
races, for if nothing else they will deliver both tax monies and magical energy. If the crown should desire an air force or especially skilled
magicians, it would be opportune to call on dragonkin and elves, respectively.

Whether it makes sense to let either peoples expand beyond their current holdings depends on whether the kingdom needs gold or mana the most.
I am sure your Majesty will be able to judge so better than I.

I remain ever your servant.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

nweismuller posted:

I'm all for just using the closest English equivalents to Icelandic characters, rather than using the proper Icelandic characters, in the interests of simplicity on this end. (Speaking of closest equivalents, is 'd' the closest equivalent to 'ð'? I honestly just guessed there.) Gender and declination I'd like to get right, though. Assuming the resource I've been using for names is correct, I should at least be avoiding gender errors, I think.

Your assistance is very much appreciated! I am trying to be respectful of your language here. And, while we're at it, I'd encourage people in the thread who have a name they're using in-thread to ask Deceitful Penguin to make sure their name is correct, if they'd like to go to that trouble.
You're being kind of petty about this whole naming gimmick, it's a bit silly. Maybe you could relax a bit and just let people have a their fun.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Apologies. Still, I intend to make sure the names I myself use are fitting with the pattern I've set, regardless of what anybody else does. I honestly was just suggesting Deceitful Penguin as a resource rather than saying people had to vet names with them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to upbraid you in your own thread. It just always kind of ruins the fun for everybody when an LP starts being too "serious business" about things. It'd be a shame if it turned people off this little gem. :)

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

To the Most Beneficent and Magnificent Dagmaer Flodmarsdottir, Queen of all Dwarfdom

Your Majesty.

As a devotee of the new, exciting and rapidly advancing Science of Ballistics, which, as your highness doubtlessly knows, has seen rapid and explosive gains in popularity, I regret to inform you that we are seeing a distinct lack of targets on which to test our most recent hypotheses and prototypes in the immediate area. This new land to the east would seem, however, to present us with a wonderful opportunity to advance both steam-chamber size, muzzle-length and -bore, as well as drawing up some truly exciting new parabolas and heretofore unseen shot-sizes of truly prodigious dimensions.

Thus, I urge you, most wise and benevolent majesty, to expand to the east. For the sake of Science, and Learning.

Your ob'dt servant

Skaði Hættadottir

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Now you see why I pulled a Civil War-era human across the astral plane from Mars just to set up shop in your forest? It was a hell of a lot easier than thinking up a genuine dwarven name!

I do love your lore though, it's a lot more fun than just "okay thread, I found some other race on the next island over, should I build some boats and go annihilate them or should I just keep mining for a few more turns?"

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Due to an error in the manual, I made an error in the lorepost for the dragonkin. I have rewritten my assessment of their current metalworking skills.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 13, 2014

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

It should, perhaps, be noted at this point that I've been on something of a Jules Verne kick, so Skaði may propose some rather... novel uses of cannons as things progress. :v:

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I love Master of Magic, and when I saw your Master of Orion LP I couldn't wait to see you pull out MoM. Glad that you decided on it. I'd contribute, but I'm no good at naming conventions, and if my character were anything like me all I'd do is bitch about you stealing all our sons for war when we have a perfectly serviceable continent to hang out on, something that would not make the LP very fun if her advice were to actually be taken. :v:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Even so, some pacifist voices would hardly be objected to, I think. And even with a perfectly serviceable continent, 'cleaning out the horrifying monsters' is probably prudent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just to be clear, diplomacy with independent cities is impossible, right? So from a game perspective, the only options are conquest and ignoring them completely, right?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Our actual options are subduing them or focusing on Other Things (or even just 'delaying for a bit until we build boats in just a tad'), yes. I'm largely getting a sense for how eager the people are to export dwarven steel into Osterland faces.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
My Queen,

I have heard many voices claiming that we must conquer our new neighbours and raise them to wealth and freedom by force, but would this not have the opposite effect to what we intend? If our own people were conquered and forced to live by alien values, would we not reject these values with the same vehemence as we despised our oppressors? Would it not be better to lead by example, and let their envy at our wealth and culture drive them to better themselves?

To this end, I must suggest that we make an expedition in force to Osterlund, to drive the monsters from their lands as we have driven them from our own, but not to attack their settlements unless they are a threat to us. Perhaps this will earn their respect and let us open trade with them.

With great humility,
Ingelbrecht Fjalarrsen, Third Assistant Scribe, Goldwash Sages' Guild.

Master Hróðvaldur,
Please find enclosed a missive which I intend to send to the Queen, with your approval. If you could tell me of any corrections you wish me to make I will do so immediately. If you have time, I would also be grateful if you could consider my request to have my quarters moved away from the tanning sheds? -Ingelbrecht

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
What I see over there is an adamantine equipped dragonmen black ops division. And some dark elves for trade or mana or something, whatever.

Too lazy to get a dwarfname and RP my suggestion though. :effort:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Your Majesty,

Is it true that some people are actually objecting to the idea of subduing the dark elves? Those who by all accounts still glorify slavery and all the worst that civilization has to offer? Such ridiculousness I have never before heard in my life! For the good of all, your majesty, you must extend your dominion over the petty kingdoms outside our lands. They are wretched places, ruled by tyrants, yearning to be freed! Oh, yes, on another note, some of those blasted savants at the sages guild have been yelling at me over my name and they managed to rile up some of my customers. So, in the interests of serving the free market, I shall from this point on be known as Ragnar Ragnarsson.

-Ragnar Ragnarssson, enterprising traveler, proud patriot, owner of the Ragnar's Rock line of taverns and currently interested in investing in boatbuilding.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Third Assistant Scribe Ingelbrecht,

I am impressed by your progress of late, and have seen to it that your missive has been delivered to the Queen, as no corrections were necessary this time. Whilst our historical records lead me to disagree with your conclusion, I can appreciate how you have set out the countervailing argument. As to the matter of relocating your quarters, maybe when the quality and quantity of your work here exceeds that which was rendered useless in the Stonegate Library incident I am giving the matter all due consideration and will inform you of my decision in due course.

Regards,
Hróðvaldur Bjarnþórsson, Sage, Librarian, Engraver, Scribe and Chronicler.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
You most holy majesty,

Myself, my kin, and the wisest of my neighbors (all but Sveinbjorn Ulfsson, who is hardly known for his wisdom) are all in agreement: why should we bother ourselves about our ancestral enemies, locked away as they are by geography and petty small-mindedness? There are such vast continents available for the Dwarven people can explore. By your wise deployment of the Hammerers to caves and ruins, we have already recovered several ancient prayers to the Gods - let us seek out more, as well as fine, mineral-laden land for us to bring to Order by the sweat of our brow and the skill of our workers. All other concerns will keep.

Humbly yours,
Friomar Onnuson

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, can you diplomacy your way into taking cities over, or is annihilation the only answer?

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Glazius posted:

So, can you diplomacy your way into taking cities over, or is annihilation the only answer?

Annihilation. This game is from, like, 1991 or some poo poo, you know.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

Annihilation. Or rather, conquest. The diplomacy part of this game is pretty limited, and you can't do it with the neutral cities at all.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
There's a rare event called "diplomatic marriage" where you can gain a neutral city, but otherwise conquest is the only option. Rare events are unusual enough, and I've played dozens of games and only seen diplomatic marriage once.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Dilb posted:

There's a rare event called "diplomatic marriage" where you can gain a neutral city, but otherwise conquest is the only option. Rare events are unusual enough, and I've played dozens of games and only seen diplomatic marriage once.

Spoilered just to be on the safe side.

If the wiki is correct, the mean time between events is between 30 and 40 turns (depending on difficulty), there are 18 equally likely possible events and they affect a random wizard and/or town. So yeah, you can go through an entire game without having a single event affecting you

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Osterland

As the year opened, the Royal Army moved to clear out the remaining ruin in the Blackwater Valley, ridding it of many huge and ferocious bears beyond the size of common bears. With the creatures slain, the treasures of a lost age were gathered, and the Royal Army pulled back to Ironbridge to prepare for a final expansion that might deal with the nature node in the south.

This expansion, however, was put on hold as Queen Dagmaer's puppet-spirit, having nearly crossed the world, discovered first a town of dragonkin, Fangrock, in a new land east of Dvergursheim in Thirdmonth and then a town of dark elves, Blademarsh, further south in that same land, which was dubbed Osterland. Efforts were refocused on providing greater resources to the shipwrights of Goldmarsh, allowing them to build up small oared galleys suitable to war and the transport of troops. Construction began on a Royal Navy, as a great moot Dagmaer concluded in Fifthmonth found that the people were eager to see their ancient enemies subdued. While this exploration and construction were under way, the other towns of Dvergursheim continued to prosper. By Tenthmonth, the Navy was ready to set out, with two galleys leading the way loaded with both cannon, two companies of heavy infantry, and Vigny's scouts, while the third trailed behind.

I had odd difficulty with loading the third unit of infantry on the same turn as the rest of the forces. I'm still not sure precisely what was preventing it.

In Eleventhmonth, the Royal Army landed on the shores of Osterland and marched to the outskirts of Blademarsh. The forces of Blademarsh gathered themselves up to meet the Royal Army, and battle was joined. Cannonballs and crossbow bolts inflicted heavy casualties on the heavy infantry of Blademarsh while the Royal Army's infantry advanced, but continued bombardment by the little spells of Blademarsh's defenders eventually led to a rupture in the boiler of one of the steam cannon, resulting in a steam explosion that irreparably wrecked that cannon and led to some losses amidst its crew. This, however, allowed enough time for the Royal Infantry to reach the front lines, first crashing into and utterly annihilating the swordsmen on the right flank of the Blademarsh formation, shortly followed by the utter destruction of the remaining defenders. With the town in dwarven hands, the old Queen Azanaia and those priests pacted with the Dark Gods in the town were hunted down by the Royal Army and publically beheaded by Vigny's sword before Azanaia's palace. The thralls of Blademarsh were decreed freed and the captain of the artillery crew of the wrecked cannon, Skadi Haetadottir, left behind as a temporary governor of the town.

Dark Elves get a natural ranged magical attack for any of their troops, allowing for them to inflict some losses before anybody gets in range. As we achieved a 'major victory' here, we gain Fame, allowing our military upkeep costs to drop slightly and slightly encouraging new opportunities for heroes and so forth.

Within a month, the Royal Army faced the defenders of Fangrock, who flew swiftly to engage the Royal Army. Although the dragonkin took losses from cannon and crossbow in what little time the cannon had to engage them before they met dwarven lines, this did not save the cannon from being overwhelmed by dragonkin soldiers, wrecked, and its crew slaughtered. Once the cannon was eliminated, the dragonkin fell upon the infantry and the scouts, causing some few casualties amongst the infantry and badly injuring half the scouts before being slaughtered. In the confusion of the occupation of Fangrock, a fire was started amongst the houses of the town, burning much of it to the ground, but it was not long before the Council of Five that ruled the town presented themselves to the Royal Army and surrendered the town.

Dragonkin get +1 defense and a natural fire breath attack, which they use as an attack before starting melee combat when they initiate a melee engagement. Breath attacks are not applied when a unit is attacked by another unit. Our hammerhands are incredibly hard troops, and slaughter normal heavy infantry like nobody's business.

While Dvergursheim launched war against Osterland, Dagmaer's spirit that she had tasked to the exploration of the world found yet another land to the east of Dvergursheim, this one still holding a settled region peopled by the proud and fierce beastkin, and littered, as the world is, with the ruins of the lost ages that had fallen with the death and terror brought after the end of the Confederation. Bantanu, the chief town of this region, is ruled with an iron fist by King Arbax, a beastkin of uncommon size, strength, and cunning.

The Kingdom of Greater Dvergursheim as of Twelfthmonth 1407

The wealthy town of Goldwash now, on top of its many crafts and its trade with the rest of Dvergursheim, serves as the chief port for shipping to and from Osterland. Some settlers have begun to gather from the districts about, seeking new homes in the remaining unsettled corners of Dvergursheim.

Over the past year, Stonegate has become, like Goldwash, a great center for savants and learning, and a place of regular correspondence for the Queen and the savants of Goldwash. Alchemical workshops and foundries are beginning to be established in the town, drawing upon the new pool of savants there.

The fertile Blackwater Valley has come under more intensive cultivation, and Ironbridge now hosts the markets, slaughterhouses, smokehouses, and breweries to better handle the bounty of the valley. A program of copying those documents recovered from the ruins in the region while copying out texts from other towns is under way, letting the learning of the kingdom expand.

Stony Peak has continued to grow, and its shops and businesses thrive as the town grows more established. More extensive manuring and cultivation of the fields of the little farming villages of the district round about it should eventually result in better agricultural outputs.

Unrest seethes just beneath the surface of Blademarsh, with all their gods save one suppressed and the thralls of the town freed to seek their own work or starve, and only careful and even-handed application of justice has prevented outright lawlessness in the town. Skadi has been rapidly mustering former thralls into a militia to patrol the town and its district, hoping to keep potential chaos under control. Between the recovery of some tiny nodules of adamantine from the mines of Mount Aethelos and the widespread abilities in the magical arts of the inhabitants of Blademarsh charging the very air of the town with magic, Queen Dagmaer has been able to take much magical power from the town. The town is poor, however, and the tax revenues from it are quite limited.

Compared to dwarves, dark elves only produce two production per worker and only produce half the gold revenues per population unit, but each population unit of dark elves produces one mana. Adamantine also produces two mana per turn from mining it. Now that we have encountered other races, I will say I misreported the base output of special mineral resources earlier. Gold is worth only 3 gold per turn, silver only worth 2 gold per turn, and iron is only worth a 5% discount on unit production costs. Dwarves, however, double the value of all mines, as they are excellent miners.

The hostility between dwarves and dark elves results in 30% extra unrest in dark elven towns we rule over and beyond the unrest from taxes, for a total unrest of 40%. We should get rebels at 3/5/8/10/13/15/18/20/23/25 population in dark elven towns. So far, Just Cause is keeping things under control, and we are building a garrison to help deal with future unrest.

For every race but dwarves, their base militia unit that draws no wages is the spearman, which is significantly weaker than swordsmen. Swordsmen for other races are professionals that draw pay- only dwarves have the general populace able to outfit themselves that well when drawn up for militia service.

The blankly uncooperative behavior of much of the town of Fangrock has forced the dwarven occupiers to rely on the Council of Five to administer the city under the occupiers' supervision. Although the Council makes a great show of cooperating with their conquerers, their intrigues and plots continue beneath the surface, and they must be watched closely lest they betray the crown. The caste system of the dragonkin continues unchanged, with only some moderation of the treatment of lower castes able to be achieved by dwarven reforms. Like Blademarsh, the town is poor and unproductive compared to the towns of Dvergursheim itself. Still, the work of dragonkin savants and the harvesting of the strange and magical quork crystals of the Desert of Fangs provide a source of power to Queen Dagmaer. With peace established and the Battle Hills no longer too dangerous for dragonkin herders to work, a program of improving the agriculture of the region has begun under the supervision of the Council of Five.

Dragonkin also produce only two production per worker population unit and half taxes- these are in fact the default outputs of production and gold for most races, with dwarven skill at commerce. the trades, artisanship being an outlier. One mana is produced per every two dragonkin population units, and quork crystals can be mined for 3 mana per turn.

Dragonkin under dwarven rule get 20% extra unrest, for a total of 30% unrest. Rebels appear in our dragonkin towns at 4/7/10/14/17/20/24 population.

Goldwash Bay has been fully charted by dwarven explorers, and the finances of the crown remain healthy despite the new expenses involved in the Royal Navy and the administration of Osterland, at least in part because of the dissolution of the artillery companies of the Royal Army for the moment. The marks of settlement stretch further across the Blackwater Valley of Dvergursheim.

With the addition of Osterland to the kingdom, the kingdom has been formally renamed from the Kingdom of Dvergursheim to the Kingdom of Greater Dvergursheim. South of the Battle Hills between Blademarsh and Fangrock, Osterland is a pleasant warm land of rich fields, small forests, and the looming presence of Mount Aethelos. North of the Battle Hills, the eastern coast is hot and harsh, with what rainfall falls on the northern slopes of the Battle Hills and on Mount Spire's eastern face being trapped in a stinking mire south of the Desert of Fangs. Dragonkin farming villages nestle at the southern and western edges of the district about Fangrock, taking advantage of what good land can be found. The ancient dwarven road on Osterland links the two towns, with a mighty tunnel bored through the shoulders of Mount Spire between the Battle Hills and the Desert of Fangs.

The new land further east of Dvergursheim is a perilous and varied land, with mountains, a great river watering a fertile plain, a great desert, and some intriguing mineral wealth that might be exploited. The district about Bantanu is a pleasant land, with Bantanu set on a region of hills and downs overlooking green fields and forests rich with game for any hunter.

The edges of the unknown are being slowly pushed back. Perhaps sometime soon knowledge of the whole of Myrror may be restored.

1407 dwindles, and the Kingdom of Greater Dvergursheim now has proven its might against the realms of Osterland. Myrror seems filled with many opportunities that might be seized by the bold and the wise. What shall 1408 bring?

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 9, 2014

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Apologies for the very late update- due to unexpected mild illness, I ended up sleeping most of the day. The next update should happen Sunday or Monday, but I will make lore posts on beastkin and on dwarves (now that we have a greater number of outside cultures to compare ourselves against) tomorrow or over the weekend. Thanks for your patience!

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

... Skaði as a governor pro tem? :suspense:

Could I have a quick breakdown of Blademarsh just to see what she has to work with, since I've never played the game before? I think I have a smithy, armory and builder's hall, from what the wiki tells me. Have I missed anything?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
There is a smithy, armory, and builders' hall, yes. The armory replaces the earlier barracks. You have nearly 5000 dark elves in the town, many of whom are former thralls who have ended up with ad hoc sharecropping arrangements or wage settlements with the nobles who formerly owned them, a bunch of nobles who are pretty drat hostile, and a general populace who's fairly resentful at the fact that worship of the Dark Gods has been suppressed. There are adamantine mines, as well as more normal mining for base metal and stone quarrying, woodcutting, and farming in the surrounding district, and a harbor that supports some trade between Osterland and Dvergursheim.

Without a marketplace (and with not being dwarves), the local economy is currency-poor, with many barter transactions. Without a granary, local improvement of cultivation and the mills for grinding grain are in iffy supply. The builders' mall implies that you have skilled carpenters and masons, the smithy implies skill metalworkers, and the armory tells us that there's the infrastructure in place to manufacture weapons and armor in quantity for professional troops should we wish to raise them.

EDIT:

Current construction options in Blademarsh are as follows:

The town has two population units assigned as farmers and two as workers, is producing 4 food (all of which goes to feed the local population), 5 production, and 2 gold from tax revenues, which falls short of the 4 gold being spent by the crown to keep the place up. I can answer any further questions as you field them.

(Honestly, I made her governor pro tem so you could feel confident your character had survived despite the loss of both cannon.)

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 14, 2014

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

To Her most Illustrious Majesty of all Dwarfkind, Dagmaer Flodmarsdottir, being also the ruler of assorted bits of Dark Elfkind and Dragonkind.

Your Serene Highness

I thank your Majesty for the faith you've placed in my abilities, and the honor you've shown me, by appointing me governor of Blademarsh. Rest assured that I am fully cognizant of the responsibility that you have entrusted me with, and that I shall, without fail, endeavour to provide both accurate and timely missives about Blademarsh's progress for however long it pleases you to have me administer it. I would also like to reassure your Magnificence that my prosthetic legs are working quite nicely indeed, that I am now quite recovered and able to move around almost as fast as before, aided only by a cane, and I am more eager than ever to plumb the mysteries of Scientific Inquiry in the subject of Ballistics for the benefit and edification of all Dwarfdom.

At present, however, I must report that Blademarsh's situation is ... Not optimal. The recent change in government has left some lingering resentment to your Bounteous rule - resentments, I hasten to add, that I am sure will fade in time! - and I have had to raise additional levies from those recruits that were available, by which I mean former thralls. Not a perfect solution, this, by any means, but it should keep everyone on their toes that still have them to be on.

In order to more readily prove to the populace that your Generous rule is preferable to the former regime, I beg leave of your Majesty to invest in a Granary in Blademarsh. Feeding the populace would, I suspect, go a long way towards helping overcome any hard feelings at being at the recieving end of practically applied Ballistics ( as well as our infantry), and would allow Blademarsh to begin investing in the future, rather than living in the past. If time and funds allow, a Marketplace or Miner's Guild would be a wise investment as well, as it would encourage further trade and allow us to better use the Adamantine Ore located nearby, respectively.

I remain, as always

Your ob'dt servant

Skaði "Nolegs" Hættadottir

PS: I really cannot stress enough how weird the Dark Elves are. Why, there's not a steam-engine to be seen, not to mention a complete lack of proper housing. Some of them even live in trees! I have resisted the urge to have the trees turned into charcoal, however, so as not to reignite the passions of our - that is to say, your Majesty's - new citizens.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 14, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
To my most Gracious Majesty, Dagmaer Flodmarsdottir.

Recent months have been most tumultuous, haven't they? The Elves and the Dragons aren't the only ones feeling the changes. It seems that taverns aren't just that big a draw anymore, not compared to the opportunities available on the high seas! (even if the only open ports are restricted to such a local area) Why, when I heard of the sorry state of the peoples of Osterlund, I knew that there was one way I could help. They may resent us Dwarves for the moment, but even rebels need to eat. It was all I could do to sell off my pre-existing assets and purchase a fleet capable of ferrying food to the needy peoples of the near continent (not to mention any shipwright for hire in the country). A risky endeavor, yes, but an unqualified success! Of course, this won't last, as your development projects go forward, but my name is out there and my foot is in the door, so to speak. So it is that I believe that both me and the peoples of Osterlund will be benefited by the expansion of trade (such as a marketplace). The construction of new markets is sure not only to prove mutually beneficial to the needy and those who can aid them, but it is quite likely to help in fostering dialogue between the peoples (dark elves can be surprisingly hospitable in their own way when they want to get something that you have cheap). On that note, I have to say that getting in early does come with disadvantages, especially since it is so long since we last took to the water, my fleet is... shall we say... not the best and there is much about seafaring that we no longer have access to. I understand though, that this situation might be different among some of the Ostlunders. I have done a little talking with my new-found contacts in Fangrock and they have some very interesting stories to tell... I shall report to you later on this subject.

-Your most grateful servant, Ragnar Ragnarsson, Merchant, Philanthropist, Mariner.

P. S. Oh, yes, I would also like to say that gaining access to the Adamantium ore should be a priority. There are many tales and sagas of old of the twin magical metals, Adamantium and Mythril and if even half of them are true... well.. I don't think I need to tell you what that might mean for us.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 14, 2014

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Dark elves are great. Quite overpowered but still fun in their overpowered-ness.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I know in Age of Wonders you could depopulate a captured town and resettle it with your native (or a friendly) race. Can you do the same thing here? It's been so long since I last played MoM I can't remember.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
No, that's not really possible at all.

E: to explain more: there's just really no mechanic for that, or anything like it at all, save maybe building and disbanding settlers until there's no town left and then moving a settler of a different race to where the old town was to found a new one.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 14, 2014

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
To the Most Esteemed Dagmaer Flodmarsdottir, Mother of Greater Dvergursheim;

We, as proud mothers and workers of the fields of Ironbridge, beseech you. Many of our children, who crossed the channel for the kingdom's great glory, will never return. We are deeply saddened by their loss, but we understand your ruling. The Serpent's Channel was indeed too small, and were the Dark Elves allowed to gain any sort of growth, they might have sent pirates out to attack our fair city of Stonegate.

However, we are deeply saddened by the loss of our children, and we fear that our own daughters will share the same fate if something is not done. We implore you to keep our militia in safety. We must admit we know little about magic, but seeing as how the Four Bright Ones (Blessed be Their Names) are giving you this power, it must be useful for protection, is it not?

Please, if we must continue to expand on our new continent, this small clan of mothers asks that you shore up your army and make it larger before it is sent out. Or, perhaps, there is a spell in that book that could summon better warriors to fight in our sons' stead? We would be humbly grateful, and our hearts will remain unbroken.

May the Serene Mother ever smile upon the Kingdom of Greater Dvergursheim.
(Various names, all women, are scrawled at the bottom in various penmanships.)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
O Honored Mothers of the Kingdom,

I regret to say that my magic may yet call upon ony puppet-spirits that might fight in the stead of the living, and, regrettably, such beings do not match up in any wise against a company of dwarven infantry. That said, those losses suffered amongst our artillerists are not ones I have any wish to force the kingdom to endure again if I may prevent it. I shall see what can be done to bolster our dwarves-at-arms before I send them again into the face of peril.

With deep respect,
Dagmaer, by grace of the people Queen of Greater Dvergursheim

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
I'm a bit disappointed you didn't go the full mile and use "Great Dvergersheim" instead of "Greater Dvergursheim," but I guess there's no need to be that explicit about the England:commissar:Ireland parallelism we're currently witnessing.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Regarding Dwarves

The dwarves, our own people, were of ancient days one of the two great settled civilisations of Myrror, rivalled by the beastkin. Our kingdoms were powerful and free, and we enjoyed trade amongst our various kingdoms while suffering occasional wars against the beastkin or against the brutish trolls. We fared better after the coming of the dark elves than did the beastkin, and our kingdoms did resist their growing empire until came the time of the Confederation, which conquered both our kingdoms and the empire of the dark elves. We are shorter and of sturdier build than the other races of Myrror, with thick heavy bones and thick full hair upon our heads, and, amongst our males, upon our faces as well. Our flesh is the most pale of any race of Myrror.

In these latter days, we would appear to be the most successful of any of the races of Myrror after the fall of the Confederation, having forged a mighty kingdom and tamed our own land of Dvergursheim. In the crafts and trades we excel; none may match our skill with metalworking, engineering, stoneworking, and so forth. New inventions drawing upon steam power from charcoal boilers have helped place greater power in our hands where needed. Our dwellings are built of fitted stone with timber framing or of brick, in our towns, although sometimes newer dwellings in outlying countryside may be built entirely of timber. Knowledge of numbercraft is widespread amongst us as it is amongst no other people. Further, we are a people with a tradition of wealth and freedom- all dwarves are born free folk, neither thralls, nor serfs, nor members of a caste, nor even hereditary nobles. Our kings and queens we choose by Kingsmoot, and the practise has served us well. It seems that unique to us, also, is knowledge of proper commercial practise, and by the standards of other races practically every dwarf is in some respects a merchant. The universal use of coin in our trade, practises of standard accounting and bookkeeping, and the wise use of investment and moneylending have allowed us in our towns to develop wealth and comfort unmatched amongst other races. Still, although we have access to great learning and expertise, amongst us learning in the arts of magic is relatively rare. Bright magic is the most commonly taught amongst our people, and few are willing to make the pacts needed to practise these arts. Also, what crafts of shipbuilding we once had have been lost in the savage years as monsters roamed the land when the Confederation fell, and our ventures to regain these arts have not rediscovered the secrets of the fine vessels we built in ancient days.

Our religion is devoted to the Four Bright Gods, whose blessings and teachings are of profit to our folk. Nonetheless, although we love the gods, we are by many standards a secular people when compared against the devotion to their religion of other races and peoples. Even I, a pacted wizard of the Bright Gods, cannot deny that to live in Myrror is good and that the life before us holds many things, not all of which demand we think of the gods at all times. So long as we hold to their moral teachings, though, we may be assured of their blessing and protection.

We stand as inheritors of a proud history, and as the standard-bearers for a bright future. It is my sincere wish as Queen that each and every one of us shall enjoy prosperity and happiness in the years to come, and that our kingdom of Greater Dvergursheim shall never fail.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
The fact that is dark elves with adamantium and not the dragonmen makes me sad.

• Locked thread