Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, do infantry even count for technique ranking? It doesn't seem like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Multiplayer Part 2: How about we catch up over a glass of Turnip Juice?

Gah. Late again. I'm glad this LP is almost over, actually. It's getting a little too...mmm...routine, I suppose.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Four battle stations and a mining spider. They kind of ran out of ideas for multiplayer, didn't they?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Multiplayer Part 3: Maybe this disagreement can be solved without resorting to violence...

No violence? In Battalion Wars? It cannot beeeee...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I like the idea of assault mode, where the other guy is at a disadvantage but just has to play defense for long enough. That was close and fun to watch!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Glazius posted:

Huh. I like the idea of assault mode, where the other guy is at a disadvantage but just has to play defense for long enough. That was close and fun to watch!

I have to admit, it was a close shave. Epic matches like that can happen a lot, which makes for a very nice game in my opinion.

Doesn't stop me from pointing out things like this, however:

Multiplayer Part 4: What is the meaning of this, commander?!

Oh, and I recently saw videos of Battalion Wars 1 mods, which will be interesting to look at when we get there (I plan to show off mods once Multiplayer is overwith)

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Are you sure the attackers are slightly favoured in the first two missions? In the first assault mission you played, you took down the destructible objectives really quickly with an exploit and seemed to outplay the opponent, but you still just had 40 seconds to go.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Oh hey, good to see Battalion Wars getting some (tough) love. I was a tester at Kuju London (now Headstrong Games) during the tail end of Battalion Wars 2 development seven years ago. Shame about the poor sales because a Wii U sequel/remake would be pretty fun to work on.

Looking forward to seeing the mods shown off too. I haven't really looked into that scene at all.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Oh hey, good to see Battalion Wars getting some (tough) love. I was a tester at Kuju London (now Headstrong Games) during the tail end of Battalion Wars 2 development seven years ago. Shame about the poor sales because a Wii U sequel/remake would be pretty fun to work on.

Looking forward to seeing the mods shown off too. I haven't really looked into that scene at all.

That scene consists of a whole two people anyways :)

So you were a tester? That's really cool! I know it's been seven years but, mind if I ask about what BWii was like during testing? I'm curious about what BWii might have been like before it was released.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Ephraim225 posted:

So you were a tester? That's really cool! I know it's been seven years but, mind if I ask about what BWii was like during testing? I'm curious about what BWii might have been like before it was released.

As you say it's a while back, and it really was the very tail end - I joined the studio after the European version had already gone into production and was mostly involved in testing the last few bugs in the Japanese version. Nintendo care a great deal about getting their games as polished as possible - some of the fixes were literally "please move this logo/text label 1 pixel downwards".

One fun fact is that after BWii was completed, we used the same engine to prototype a swords-and-armour spinoff under the working title "Knight Wars". We pitched it in various forms without making much headway, until eventually we picked up a contract from Warner Brothers and adapted it to a new IP. The last game released in the Battalion Wars engine was therefore (the Wii version of) a poorly-marketed flop entitled "The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest."

Maybe you can LP that after you're done with the BW games :v:

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I would. If I'd played it before :)

Multiplayer Part 5 - I sense a Legion Purple Heart will soon adorn your uniform!

Oh, here's one more point of interest - on the BWii disc, there's a text file that says this:

hack.txt posted:

This file exists as a workaround to a bug in DVD emulation that leaves files open after they are supposed to be closed.

[someone called Stephen Boissiere left his email address in the file too but I don't feel right posting it even though it probably doesn't work anymore]

Now if only he'd commented all the code :P

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
Is that video supposed to be private?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Having the same problem.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Oh whoops, I must have forgotten to set it to "Public". It's fixed now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wish the Iron Legion had more stuff in the game. Really I wish that about every army, they're all pretty neat to play around with.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Multiplayer Part 6: Eight Minutes of Nothing Happening

At this point, if you want combat with BOATS you should probably play Super Battleship on the SNES or something.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

It's a shame that what should have been one of the more interesting multiplayer maps ended up being so weak due to what should have been an easy thing to fix.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Multiplayer Part 7: My commander attempts to quit the battlefield?! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Video doesn't seem to be done processing as of this post but it should still be watchable.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does seem like controlling the means of production can let you seriously get an advantage over an opponent who doesn't have any. That just looks painful.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
That last map I hate it with such a passion.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Multiplayer Part 8: Battlestations, everybody!

And that's all the maps in multiplayer! Next we'll look at all the efforts that have been put into modding the game and that'll be it for this LP.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Bonus Video: Mod Showcase

This will conclude the Battalion Wars LP. Thank you for watching! Also check out this playlist which includes BW1 mods.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Ha! Private Hazard. :3:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Good way to end the lp. Congrats on finishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. It's kind of fun to be running a map from the other side and see the "protagonist" CO just flipping out at your "failure".

• Locked thread