Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What race should goons play for PvP shenanigans?
This poll is closed.
Furry Dominion 352 27.24%
Orc Covenant 464 35.91%
Lizard Pact 476 36.84%
Total: 1292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If only every class had access to a stun/knockdown break ability they could use...

Like I've mentioned before in the wildstar thread, stuns are fundamental in all forms of these types of games, including MOBAs. All you have to do is give players some form of active CC break, diminishing returns, immunity and not have enough burst to get someone down from a single stun chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly all the systems that involve some form of massive poopsocking to get a title are horrible. If its a pvp thing have people pvp for it. AoW probably had the fairest system since a naked dude that really knew how to fight could climb to the top of the school hierarchy by demolishing massive p2w spergs with relative ease.

e-Is the game up right now? Some people are streaming it and I dont know if its closed beta or press beta or something.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 8, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly Extra you should probably take a break from the thread and game if you are getting so bent out of shape just because an MMO in the year of our lord 2014 has the audacity to have some form of progression that cant be completely bypassed by spending 2 days repeatedly doing tedious pve quests in a pvp zone.

We dont even know the entirety of this until people try it extensively. You probably are spending wayyyyy to much time caring about this.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evernoob posted:

I missed the whole megaserver discussion … so how exactly will it work?

Im assuming it works the same way that every other super/mega/whatever server. There is one physical rack of servers providing the backbone, then the game dynamically shifts people around between instances whenever they are doing a different quest or if the volume of people in one particular instance is too high.

Campaigns, which are the cyrodil instances that you lock yourself into are probably working on a virtualized server each for stability and persistence. After the campaign finishes those v.servers are wiped clean and so the new campaigns can start.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wont this beta phase streamline the starting experience?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Servers are up as per usual, 2 hours before actual official time.

e-First impresions from the patch is that the combat definetly feels better. Basic attacks feel like they have weight to them thanks to the splashes of blood on hit and the small recoil on hit. Some attack animations are radically improved, like the teleport strike now does a large blood like circle around you when you come out of it.

Some attacks, particularly my weapon ones dont seem to be as flashy as that, but still feel slightly better.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 14, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There're issues with esc not working from time to time. Try reload-ui or something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Semisponge posted:

I got to level 7 and everything got bizarrely difficult. I couldn't do any quests because all the boss fights would just murder me, and I couldn't seem to make any progress in the crafting so I couldn't make any better gear. And of course I couldn't buy anything because trash mobs drop like 1 gold and I couldn't complete any quests to get gold. I guess I must have built my guy wrong but I'm just totally baffled. :psyduck:

Things I still haven't figured out:

-lockpicking chests
-using repair kits
-crafting goddamned anything

I even looked at the in-game help and couldn't find anything relevant. I dunno.

Its definitely harder but I accidentally wandered off to an area that had mobs like 5 levels ahead of me I could still kill them 1v2 with positioning and life leaching. As long as you keep a clear head, use your abilities and dont forget to dodge or block CC you'll be fine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It should train one handed/shield.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They have a functioning account guard system into the game already. Its probably the first time I've seen one in an MMO before the launch. That pretty much is going to stop most account stealers dead in their tracks.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Coach Sport posted:

So is this game still going to be a trainwreck, or did they fix it somehow? Everyone seemed convinced this would fail and go F2P, so I'm wondering whats changed?

The feel of the combat has been improved a lot. Like wielding a two hander right now feels really nice and meaty. The starting experience has been revamped and if you already cleared the starting area you can outright skip it. The "tutorial island" is now entirely optional. The game looks ok and runs great.

Honestly, I still wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it, but I would totally be all over it if it was b2p.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man the daggerfell starting island is a million times better than the skyrim one. It actually feels like you are exploring the place instead of following quest points. Making the things optional also helps the feeling.

Also with the changes to the starting exp you'll be like level 7 by the time you finish the first one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Locator posted:

I apparently missed the tutorial island thing, went from the prison to the first main town. Maybe that's why I was struggling? Luckily I found a mod someone posted in the thread that tells me when the NPC is doing something I need to interrupt/block/dodge, and that helped a ton. Still level 5/6 was rough as hell since there were no quests below level 7 or 8 and I got my poo poo pushed in a lot.

Its not necessary anymore but going there is a good idea if you are having a rough time. Doing or skipping coldharbour will get you to 3 and the starter islands have level 4 mobs. The secondary island has level 6 mobs. I think hamming it out and not doing it means you'll be doing level 5 mobs which although not impossible at 3 will be pretty hard, specially with more than one mob.

Once you do get gear and more skills you can take on mobs 4-5 levels above you without much issues.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tokaii posted:

If you skip the prison opening do you still get the bag with a weapon in it?

You get a bag with the bow and armor plus a shortsword and greatsword.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

Please tell me that argonian is just fat and not pregnant (yes I'm aware it's a male argonian, it does not change the question).

Well the skyrim one has a tankard so its probably just a big old ale belly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zotix posted:

Is the imperial edition worth it?

Is the extra cost worth playing real white people, gay marriage and a cheap horse? Thats something only you can answer.

vvvv
"You can pair up with a friend that you play with constantly – gender has never been a barrier in Elder Scrolls marriages – and you’ll both benefit from working together."

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 19, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Heskie posted:

Was there a specific reason they decided to even have classes at all?

The armour/weapon/skills combinations are really flexible and could have worked like UO, which would have been great in my opinion.

Even though its hard as gently caress to know what class a character is just by looking at them, seeing how they attack gives you a good basis on what they can and cant do so it allows you to adapt your play style against them. In an entirely classless system it would be much harder to gauge other players.

Not much of an issue in large zergs, but its definitely important in smaller skirmishes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bishop01 posted:

Apparently this is true, people who bought normal edition for zenimax get 5 days but if you bought normal edition from 3rd party you only get 3. many many awful marketing decisions from this company.

He mentions the imperial edition which should have 5 days of head start regardless of where you bought it.

Im thinking GS is loving with the person.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Later level pve actually looked fine and with changes in combat feedback it feels a whole lot better. I wish the early levels would go by at least little bit faster or just let weapon switching happen at 10 though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

Actually, it was only empty space due to the technological limitations of the time. If you throw in actual resource gathering, terraforming, town/structure/city building, intelligent AI enemy group(tribe) behavior to determine migrations and procedurally generated quests as a result of civilization conflicts with that AI you have yourself some content. Couple that with the standard theme park MMO locations across the map and you've practically got yourself a new genre of game.

No amount of technological improvements will lead to your dream game because the amount of man hours to create it would be insane. The scale is just too much and if you depend on vast amount of procedurally generated content then you void what makes elder scroll titles good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

E: Do the alliances give any bonuses/items/whatever or are they just for RP purposes?
Not really they have pretty negligible passives quite honestly. Just run what you think is coolest/looks less dumb.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It makes everyone else's textures look much better. So npcs and other players gear dont look like a muddy mess.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Why can't you? Up to five guilds, after all.

Because space is limited? If everyone in guild A joined guild B then A would be the same as B. Wouldnt be much of an issue if there is plenty of space in guild b but when that starts to get full then people double guilding should pick one to stick with to let more unguilded people in.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I doubt there is any space left in the guild but if there is I'd love an invite @Caonima

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

nessin posted:

Short of voice acting there isn't any difference between ESO quests and most other MMOs

Mechanically speaking, as in the execution of the quest, it isnt very different. But the presentation is a whole lot different. Its not moving around bread crumbs to get to a quest hub to do the quests in the areas. It flows a lot more freely than that, with you finding most of the quests en route to somewhere else rather than all of them being concentrated at the destination of the last breadcrumb chain.

Its not much of a change, but its noticeable enough that it feels like you are exploring instead of being led around by the nose from point a to point b.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

nessin posted:

I think you're cherry picking an example in your mind that stands out and applying it as a general rule across the game, either that or you're thinking of pre-Cataclysm WoW or older MMOs

At no point have I been lead to a place that had 3 or more guys with quests mark on their heads in the game. This is still a thing in WoW post cataclysm, the majority of the content is still like that. I got trough all of Cata leveling when it came out like 3 times, sure it was more streamlined than what it was before, but it still felt like you were being lead from point a to point b. Ive also gotten trough all of FFXIV, most of B&S, a chunk of wildstar and I've seen plenty of Archage, its mostly the same between all of them.

TESO doesn't flow like that. In the newb starting area they tell you to go find a guy thats locked in a dungeon, on my way there I spot a amnesiac guy and his monkey so I help them out. Go back to free the dude, the guy tells me to find a gem. On my way to find the gem, a little off the path I see a trail that leads to a cave, in it is a dead guy with a message. Again on the way to get the gem I find a dude wanting to find his drink. Doing that I find a piece of dwemer gear that starts another quest. I still havent done the first chain I started to do and already started like 4 more quests in between getting to places.

So far in the first 10 levels this is the games modus operandi rather than the exception. Things could change though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A duping bug thats actually dealt with quickly has almost no lasting effect in a games economy. Like FFXIV ARR had straight up database manipulation where you could give yourself millions of gil, Neverwinter had a pretty insane item dupe bug that forced a rollback and people were surprised how little effect it had. By the next day everything was back to normal.

It would probably be even less of an issue in this game where everyone is segregated in different trade unions and trading between players is unintuitive as hell.

OssiansFolly posted:

How does this logic work? If gold is easy for the CHEATERS to get ahold of then doesn't the number of gold spammers increase exponentially? They have access to easy free gold so every Dick, Tom and Chang are going to be doing it. They've resorted to gold spamming guild invites!
Most spammers aren't actually selling gold. The sites are more often than not honeypots to catch idiots credit card information :ssh:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 18, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

It isn't 'dealt with quickly', it's a dupe bug that's been known since beta and has caused trillions of gold to be magicked into existence. There will now never be a real gold economy in this game.

Good then someone please send @CaoNiMa 50k so I can get a horse.

e-Also someone please tell the bots farming soul shards in the public dungeons that they've been wasting everyones time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

Half the souls didnt work at launch with Rift. They had to offer multiple free respecs over the first month or two. Rogue archtype had worse dps than tanks despite supposedly being dps. No real endgame content, pvp didnt start until you hit 50. Rampant account hacking, a lot of downtime, long server queues, etc.

edit: whoops, on phone. quote is not edit apparently

Some souls were bad and the account hacking was also till they added the account guard but lack of end game content wasnt a thing. The game had two tiers of hard mode dungeons and a 20 man raid, a month after release they added another 20 man raid a few months after that a 10 man. Also things like those hard rifts and the like were there at launch. Im also pretty sure pvp started at 10 or something, unless you mean sperg gear gear gear pvp.

And Im pretty sure there was at least one soul configuration for rogues that was good damage, plus they had the strongest solo farming setup in the game.

e-Actually thinking about it there were at least two good dps soul configurations for rogues at launch. Nightblade and saboteur. Bards were king of support mountain, every raid needed one and riftstalkers were the preferred tanks for some of the harder content.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 18, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

I think subscriptions are what break sub based games, not public opinion. WoW and EVE are the only relevant ones left that I can think of.

I really think they should have come out the gate with the guild wars model; whatever revenues they accrue with having subs for six to twelve months going forward may not be worth the initial middling press you get at launch because you have a sub.

FFXIV ARR is actually doing really well, not only is it retaining people months after release, its actually growing the install base. Last report had them at 2m subs and over 500k unique log ons every day with several servers still being locked for character creation during prime time.

The sub model still works, but the demands for people to stick around are much higher than before. Aggressive box prices, constant updates and not being afraid to do complete 180s in design ideology if it means improving the experience and therefor retention of players is a must.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

tyrelhill posted:

He isn't really doing anything, though. Just rooting people and not dying while the rest of his teammates actually kill people.

If by friends you mean his DK banner then yes, his friends are killing everyone.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

tyrelhill posted:

Oh I stand corrected, you are clearly the greatest we've ever seen. :rolleyes:

You seem irrationally bellicose over this.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly who does two maint cycles back to back.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sivlan posted:

I wonder if the fighter and mage guild "persuade" and "intimidate" passives get more useful, I've only had the chance to use it once but it seems like it short circuited a quest for me.

They start to hand out items that increase the ease of doing quests. Like one gave me an amulet that let me summon a spirit tank to help me clear an area, which was really useful because the ghosts are immune to roots and snares. Another gave me a gem that let me summon a scamp that did a poo poo ton of damage.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

People seriously think that trion will be able to unkorean it. You know, what actual subsidiaries have been iincapable of doing in their own games. People will end their month long honeymoon and quit like most that have tried the other versions.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Locator posted:

Noooooo......

I knew it ahahahahaa. I knew that there would eventually be a patchnote that mentioned that it wasnt intentional for them to be speaking german.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

UrielX posted:

UO(December),EQ,DAOC,EnB,AO,CoH,WoW,EQII,Horizons,SB,LOTRO,Warhammer, DFO(EU1), and Neverwinter. Hell I may even be missing a few. So I take I've played more launches than you, amirite?

Edit:
And some of those launches were bad, but the vast majority of launch related issues were server issues. TESO shouldn't have been released in the state that it was.

I dont get how you can see this though. I mean you say it right there, that there were server issues. WoW was literally unplayable for months during launch, Warhammer was as well during the first month (and then everyone quit). The first few days of Neverwinter had a bug that caused massive queues and even when resolved there was instability issues with a fairly big item duping / rollback issue.

This isnt counting gameplay mechanics issues. Most of those games were by todays standards horribly broken at launch. The only reason why people seem to think otherwise was because there weren't a whole lot of things to compare them to and just plain selective memory.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

People just dont tolerate games that aren't up to par when they ask for a full box price and sub and why should they? Back a few years ago you didnt have a whole lot of choice so you stuck to the games because there weren't things better in that niche. Now days you do have tons of choices, with all sort of price ranges and gameplay niches so sticking to a title thats subpar when there are better choices is pretty rare unless you are devoted to the IP or something.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 7, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

jabro posted:

I don't know about Gold but the Plus was a given. Sony rules for it are pretty clear. True F2P games don't require it but any game you have to buy requires Plus to play online.

No, games that do not utilize sony's online infrastructure do not have need ps+ to operate. Its why FFXIV doesn't need ps+. So unless TESO is using sonys servers it wont need ps+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its weird, because originally they mentioned that it wouldn't need plus on ps4 but it looks like that fell through with the new plan and decided to just let sony handle the servers or at the very least its matchmaking for instances. I'm guessing microsoft/sony are going to be taking a bite out of each transaction because of this.

• Locked thread