Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What race should goons play for PvP shenanigans?
This poll is closed.
Furry Dominion 352 27.24%
Orc Covenant 464 35.91%
Lizard Pact 476 36.84%
Total: 1292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You should change this to avoid confusion since classes are faction locked.

quote:

There are no class/race/faction restrictions.
I suggest "There are no class<->race or class<->faction restrictions."
Also add that the pvp boss mobs always drop a filled soul gem scaled to your level. Its a really nice added upside of doing the pvp dungeons.

I've been waiting for a new thread to post the unofficial goon pvp build. We found small stealth group pvp behind the front lines was incredibly fun and very effective. The build isn't really specific and you can roll with just about anything but 3 things make a huge difference.
Orc for the sprint speed buff. Makes hit and run tactics more effective and also helps with the long trek into enemy territory.
Medium armor for the stealth bonuses. Any class can stealth, but the medium armor just makes it better.
Bow. Other ranged attacks are fine too, but the bow is really good. Range is just really good at focusing down single targets and harassing people.

We also discovered that the steed mundus stone (the birthstone signs from skyrim) adds a very noticeable runspeed buff, estimated at 10-15%. One of the armor traits, divinity, that you can bake into crafted armor boosts mundus stone effects by 4-6% per piece, so you can get and additional 5-7% added to your runspeed.

I plan on making a craft mule at launch and experimenting with it to see how good it is. Crafting takes an absurd amount of resources to level. I was thinking that if goons uninterested in crafting would be so kind as do dump all their resources in the guild bank instead of vendor trashing them it would help the crafters out who could later supply them with good gear.
The way imbuing traits work is that you first have to research an item with the trait before you can then imbue it on items of that type you craft. Its also very specific, so researching a hide helmet of divinity lets you craft hide helmets of divinity but not not hide greaves. I was thinking that if goons stayed on the lookout for items with wanted traits it would help our crafters out when researching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I agree, but if the beta is anything to go by we are going to be spending most of our time in stealth gank squads. Ranged and medium armor isn't exactly the most restrictive thing either, so its a good baseline and suggestion to go by. Do whatever you want though, the last thing we need is people sperging out because someone wants to wear heavy armor instead of medium.

Hydrogen_3 posted:

So, for enchanting can you not disassemble/research already enchanted items? I couldn't figure it out if you could.
Enchanting or traits? Traits are imbued into the armor when you craft it, enchantments are added later.
I don't think you can harvest enchanting mats from enchanted items, but you can break down a sigil that isn't on an item into mats.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 4, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I haven't played much modern MMO's so I don't know if this is normal but one thing ESO crafting does right is that you can use mats that are in your bank. Thats pretty awesome and removes one of those minor annoyances that can really add up. Banks are also shared across your account, so making a craft mule should not be that hard.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Just going to repost. You hit 50? You can go back and do another factions questing area as your same character.
I think you have to complete your factions main quest line.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

xutech posted:

Rings of Mara

"Complete the Ritual of Mara with a friend and receive an experience bonus when you play together."

What better way to celebrate your bromance.
I have no willpower and bought the imperial pack, who wants to be my lusty argonian mail order bride?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

ESO head has had inaccurate things before. It used to say nightblades had the caltrop skill.
EDIT: One of the imperial "passives" is soul siphon, one of the nightblade ultimates. And the orcs "drain power" is also a siphoning tree ability. This is most likely a bug with ESO heads data mining.

CountingWizard posted:

This needs to go in OP. Also, I'd like to know what levels we can put points into these.
You missed my front page post about the steed mundus stone adding another 10-15% runspeed that can be further increased with the divinity trait on armor. It seems possible to get nearly +100% to your base runspeed. I also assume there is an armor enchant that would give runspeed, at least for boots.
Oh, and it would also appear that stealth speed is not set, but also scales with your runspeed buffs, like the mundus stone and lightning armor. The ones that say sprint speed like the orc passive won't affect sneak though.

As for the craft mule. Crafting does gain you experience and level you up. I don't think anything is level locked, only skill locked, but even if it is you will probably gain a lot of levels doing your crafts.

For the goons wondering which faction to join, most of us will probably be in Daggerfall, so keep that in mind.

DrDork posted:

I'm sure it does on some level, but the issue is that doesn't fix the "who does a /tell go to?" problem with non-unique names. Unless you really think that having to type /tell Legolas.17473 or otherwise needing to address the actual account name/ID for communication is a good and user-friendly option.
Yea the diablo 3 way of handling un-unique (ique?) names was pretty poo poo. Unless someone finds a good way to do it, unique names are must with any kind of private message system. I just need to think up a good one.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 5, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think once people get better gear and spec into a proper crit build 2h nightblade is probably going to be the best 1v1 ganker.
The heal blocking ultimate is also likely to play a huge role in sieges.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

So some more theory crafting here, mainly about bow gank squads.
I was watching this video and noticed something I didn't while playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29KvfHwYqk
The normal bow attack outranges most of its abilities, and presumably casters spells. He makes great use of that by plinking targets down before closing the gap. The normal attack may not have the greatest DPS, but if you can soften your target before they can even touch you thats a huge advantage.

-Bow tree has a passive that increases runspeed by 30% after a dodge. Not sure how well this works when spamming, but that could even further increase your speed.
-Sword and board passive tooltoop says it increases damage by 10%, doesn't specify if this is global or to 1h weapons only. Anyone know?
-Dual wield has similar passives. 8% damage against disabled targets and bonuses when axes, swords, maces, or daggers are equipped.
If the tooltip is accurate and those aren't limited to their respective trees it might be worth cross training at higher levels.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CardiacArrest posted:

Dragon knights seem to be very tank oriented based on their class skills.
Dragonknights have no offensive skills.

All of the classes can be whatever you want them to be. You could probably even make a nightblade tank with the dodge buffs.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I also makes it easier for people to impersonate others, wether or not thats a good thing is up to debate. Impersonations and scamming people was pretty awesome in Ultima Online, every thief also had an alt that wasn't in the thieves guild so they could troll people with murder counts.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Darkmoon2k posted:

I've invested a lot of time into trying to figure out if I should play a Bow Sorc or a Bow Nightblade, knowing that I wanted to play with that weapon. At first I figured Sorcerer would be a better option because the mana abilities give you versatility. The problem is that a lot of the good Sorcerer spells use a crap ton of Magicka, and you if you wear mostly medium armor (and you should for PVP), you will blow through your Magicka pool in 1-2 spells. There are a few exceptions here, like the Daedric Summong curse which is low mana and pretty decent. The low Magicka pool also makes you increasingly weaker in prolonged battles. Small resource pool is fine for picking off solo stragglers but shows its weakness in group v. group.

Also a lot of the passives that exist in the Sorcerer trees don't give you as much versatility/value as the ones found in the Nightblade trees. This is especially obvious when you realize you will only be able to cast 1-2 spells. Those passives won't help you when you're out of Magicka. Nightblade passives can assist with weapon damage as well. The reason I will inevitably go with Nightblade over Sorcerer is that the Bow Sorc has limited resources to work with and a neutered passive set in comparison to Nightblades, imo.

I really wanted to play a Bow Sorc, but after much thought the Bow Nightblade is superior.
Did you reach level 10 during the beta? If not try on the next weekend and give bow sorc a shot.
Because of the level scaling your resource pools are huge. I never really had any resource problems. Base regen is also decently fast and regens during battle, so you can back off and bow plink when you do get oom. I think I went OOS more often than OOM, but thats probably more to do with starting battles at low stam from stealthing.
Even after level 50 it shouldn't be an issue. One of the videos posted showed that putting all 50 stat points into magicka didn't have much return, and that health was much better.
If for some reason it is an issue for you, you could spec your gear to offset it.
I'm rambling now, but small group (5-10) vs small group in the game is more about positioning and picking targets than it is about sustained DPS. Sieges are the only place where a sustained DPS would matter much, but even then you are probably going to be ducking for cover and regening.
Nightblades probably fine too. I really feel like any class can be reasonably specced into any role and be at least 90% as efficient at it as whatever the super optimized minmax build is.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Darkmoon2k posted:

I wonder what the first recorded instance of CC-immunity being introduced to MMOs was? My oldest memory is in Dark Age of Camelot, Thanes used to spam their AOE stun on groups and absolutely wreck; Midgard was super strong at release. Mythic added immunity not long after that I think.

Also that guy who posted the Bow/1H-Shield Sorcerer PVP build on YouTube has a new build, this time a "Double Burst" Nightblade. He uses Heavy Armor, 2H, and a bow in this one.

link
Ultima online had trapped pouches to break paralyze. Not quite immunity but close to it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Boner Police posted:

i suck at this game. can anyone suggest a build i might try for the next beta run that might help to maximize my enjoyment?
Were you pressing ctrl after activating it?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

First Bass posted:

There is literally no reason to have it in the game except to milk money from poopsockers and spergs--MY GOD

imo this does not sound like an Elder Scrolls game

So when is this game going to be overridden with hackers using chim as an excuse?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Orv posted:

That's exactly how they got there, provided I'm reading you right. They farmed the PvP-PvE quests for two days straight.
There are 2 betas. He is talking about the on going closed beta that is not weekends only.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Got a link to the googledoc?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Extra posted:

:negative: Why do you do this to me ESO? So much for leveling up in Cyrodiil
Did you just miss reading this,

quote:

Experience granted for completing quests that originated in Bruma, Cheydinhal, Chorrol, Cropsford, and Vlastarus has been increased.
Or this?

quote:

Experience awarded for player-character kills has been increased.
How about instead of over reacting you calm down and see how the changes pan out. For all you know it may actually be faster to level in cyrodil now. The cyrodil quests were poo poo anyhow, I am totally in favor of making them a daily quest with a nice chunk of EXP instead of some monotonous bullshit you have to grind over and over.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think I am going to need a bigger closet to game in, this one can't fit the poop socks and the piss bottles.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

^I'm da baby, gotta love me!

There actually is a game with mom style PvP and no progression, its called Forge and its pretty fun. The player base is tiny though, and last I played there were some major balance issues and due to intentional map design knock back environmental kills were way too strong.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Lothire posted:

I'd be interesting in talking about Extra's original point.
I think there is another hidden positive here. Assuming the quest exp was increased enough to make them still worth doing, which be a good thing, give players a nice burst of daily exp and actually a way to let the casuals catch up to the poopsockers.
Anyways, my point, if they are still worth doing, this should encourage you to venture into enemy territory which creates more interesting conflict. Instead of grinding the same quest over and over, you would now have to travel around to get your full 6 daily quests. Anything that promotes conflict or getting people outside of their comfort zone is good for pvp.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Batham posted:

Extra waited. The torches above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were higher level players in the base. He didn’t see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel SomethingAwful were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Extra was a dragon knight for 1 week. When he was young he watched the MMO's and he said to dad “I want to be on the mmos daddy.”
Dad said “No! You will BE KILL BY HIGHER LEVELS”
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the castle of the Ebon Heart Pact he knew there were higher levels.
“This is SomethingAwful” the radio crackered. “You must fight the players!”
So Extra gotted his greatsword and blew up the wall.
“HE GOING TO KILL US” said the players
“I will shoot at him” said the roleplayer and he fired the fireballs. Extra greatsworded at him and tried to cut him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
“No! I must kill the higher levels” he shouted
The radio said “No, Extra. You are the higher level”
And then Extra was a poopsocker.
You nailed the grammatical errors perfectly. This is A++ quality fanfic, would read again.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's turd but if you clench your butthole tight enough you might just find a low grade industrial PvP diamond in your sock.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The goon gank squad was fun last weekend, but this weekend I really feel like we should focus on finding the best ways to grind. Extra, are you volunteering to lead?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pivo posted:

I like elves :( They're always the elitist jerks who look down on everyone in fantasy. I can get behind that.
This describes every race in Elder Scrolls.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

2 new addons just got listed on ESOHead that I know a lot of people will want.
An inventory that is only slightly poo poo instead of complete poo poo. Mouse users rejoice!
A radar map? MY IMMERSION!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

badr posted:

In the current beta is there any goon guild running?
Post your @name in the thread so reggin can get mad that no one is inviting you. Also join the camping the stairs mumble, info in PGS.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

This is something I haven't seen asked but: is PvP just contained to cyrodiil or can you sneak across borders and attack people? If not I'd like some mod that switches from an iHud skyrim set up while exploring to a spergy PvP interface.
No world pvp, skyrim only.
Addons are easily disabled and renenabled in gamne though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Llyd posted:

crafting
Deconstructing items that other people craft or world drops gives significantly more skill gain than deconstructing items you craft.
If 2 players really wanted to min/max they would mail each other their crafted junk for the other to deconstruct.

e;fb sorta. I can confirm it. Its pretty easy to see the difference between drops and self crafted stuff, and I tested one item crafted by another person and it gave similar exp to a drop.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

One of the cool things about bow sorc is that you get a lot of spells that have a delayed damage effect. So you stack them up then they all process at once for 60-80% of someone's health. If anyone played Ultima Online its a lot like explosion>energy bolt>halberd hit.
This game actually feels a lot like ultima to me, ttk is low, burst is high, but healing is good to compensate.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chin posted:

What's the factor that causes sorcerer spells to start taking huge chunks off of a player's health? Just levels and gear?

There was a level 19 dude taking pot shots from atop an outpost and the only spell I could land on him before he'd duck behind a parapet was the aforementioned delayed nuke morphed to go off every three and a half seconds. I ran out of magicka and his health bar had barely moved because his natural regen basically kept pace. In PvE that nuke was my main source of damage, taking off around a third of an even level mob's HP.
My basic combo was to open with stealth and a heavy bow attack. This would guaranteed, then I would cast velocious curse, and Mages fury, at this point the instant cast crystal fragments would usually proc, so I cast that and it usually goes off around the same time as curse. If the target was below 20% at this point you spam mages fury and bow light attacks and they die before the knockdown on crystal fragments wears off. If they weren't that low, you spam poison arrow and light attacks if they are, maybe working in another curse and another crystal if it procs.
There is also an addon that lets you know when the instant cast on crystal procs which is 100% necessary to use.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

They are both likely viable, but the benefit of bow is having 2 resource pools. I suppose the downside is that you are less able to stack +x damage effects.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Evernoob posted:

Was there any way of "fast traveling" in Cyrodil? My side was badly losing in the beta so I did not really have to run far to get back into the action, but I suppose there are waypoints that become active/unactive after your side takes control of a keep.

I kind of wish this fast traveling to be kept at a minimum (only from waypoint to waypoint, and not from anywhere to waypoint)as the swords on the map already give way too much information away if you try to be a sneaky gang.

Combat Locations on the map really improve zerg behaviour, so I wish these were only shown when a structure is under attack, and not just a random ambush.
There are keeps and outposts. You can respawn at any keep your side owns that is also connected by the leylines. You can't respawn at outposts, but you can teleport to them. You can also teleport to keeps useing the transit shrines in the main 2 pvp hubs, or any keep, you cannot teleport out of an outpost.
The keep/outpost also has to be uncontested for you to spawn/tp there. I am not 100% sure what triggers a keep as contested but I think it has something to do with enemies in the area and a structure being under 50% health.
You can also go behind the front lines and harrass or capture an enemies back keep cutting them off from spawning at their forward keep. The zerg won't generally do this, but with a good coordinated team it can make a huge difference for the zerg fighting on the front line when the enemy can no longer bring in reinforcements.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I was rolling around with a 20 man group in TS and the things we were able to accomplish with coordination were amazing.

20 siege weapons take down a wall in 60 seconds. We were back capping and cutting off supply lines before the enemy knew what hit them.

We also held an outpost with all 3 doors missing for 30 minutes against triple our numbers.

We all stealthed up and jumped down a keep wall, flanked the enemy siege line and wiped out their entire siege in one push, then moved up to the mile fort and blocked their reinforcements from starting a new push.

Even a group of 5 coordinated, can accomplish a lot of harassment.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think the crit bonus becomes better when your build is based around crit damage, things like the 2h charge and stealth attacks that are garunteed to crit.
We also don't know much about the soft caps though, with the mundus stones and divinity armor training you could provably stack crit DMG or % to be pretty high.
If things look how they do on paper and crit damage doesn't have a low soft cap, then a cat man using bow snipe from stealth followed by a charge would likely be a KO.
It depends on how things scale and cap at the higher levels.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nektu posted:

Just out of interest: do you get rewards for grouping into another campaing?
If you guest on a campaign you will still earn your exp, alliance points (the currency), your pvp mail rewards, and any quest rewards.

The only thing you miss out is the alliance points that count for pvp ranking, so you won't be on the leaderboards in a guest campaign only your home campaign.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Orv posted:

You also won't get end of campaign contribution awards on guest campaigns.
Which are based on the alliance points(not the currency) you earned in the rankings. Good clarification though, the whole thing would be a whole simpler if they didn't call 2 different things alliance points, alliance gold and points or something. Maybe they do call it that.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The Locator posted:

I had no lag at all most of the time, but periodically it would just stop completely for 3-7 seconds, like the game froze completely. Hopefully that's the issue that they address specifically in the patch notes as being fixed.
This happens when the game has to load in a ton of information at once, usually the enemy zerg. It sucks, but its a better tradeoff than culling 50 people from the players screen and not rendering them at all. The fact that you can have 100v100 fights that are relatively lag free once you initially load everyone in is really incredible.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Extra posted:

I think you've been hand held by too many MMOs in the past. Every competitive arena shooter ever gave you "zero information" about your opponent. That was kind of the point. ESO is still giving you a health bar and some pronounced cast animations to counter.

You can see a bar, but apparently with these changes you can't see the exact number, which is a good change. It means players won't just be matching skills to numbers.
You can't fairly compare this to an arena shooter. In a shooter you don't have stats, you know exactly what the guy in front of you is capable of and exactly how many rockets to the face he takes to kill. You don't even need a combat log in this instance because the information is so static.
Once you factor in all the different stats and the thousands of build combinations, without a combat log you are really left in the dark as far as what you are up against.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I could get behind the removing of castbars and interrupt prompts, but I still say leave the skill name in the damage numbers. Its not a deal breaker for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Pretty sure damage numbers are still in. If they're out that would make me sad :(
The numbers are still in, but not the source. So when you get nuked for half your health you won't know what ability did it.

• Locked thread