Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What race should goons play for PvP shenanigans?
This poll is closed.
Furry Dominion 352 27.24%
Orc Covenant 464 35.91%
Lizard Pact 476 36.84%
Total: 1292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I don't know if this was mentioned, but I was looking at the ESOhead character builder and noticed that the Orc racial that improves sprint speed has been replaced by an active ability called Drain Power. Similar changes have been made to others races; for example, Imperials have an active that gives life leech which replaced the passive that gives health on melee damage.

If this change is accurate then I will no longer feel compelled to play an Orc for the sprint bonus as the remaining abilities aren't nearly as impressive.

(Note: The racial skills section doesn't fully reflect this change, it can only be seen in the build editor)

Can anyone confirm some official announcement or proof that this is being rolled out?

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

CardiacArrest posted:

But let me elaborate. Using the bow sorc will give you ranged attacks that use mana and ranged attacks with stamina. I'd think ideally you'd want to have a balance in pool usage to be able to dish out damage as long as possible. A nightblade can use the bow, but will not have the same level of choice or effectiveness of ranged mana based attacks.

I've invested a lot of time into trying to figure out if I should play a Bow Sorc or a Bow Nightblade, knowing that I wanted to play with that weapon. At first I figured Sorcerer would be a better option because the mana abilities give you versatility. The problem is that a lot of the good Sorcerer spells use a crap ton of Magicka, and you if you wear mostly medium armor (and you should for PVP), you will blow through your Magicka pool in 1-2 spells. There are a few exceptions here, like the Daedric Summong curse which is low mana and pretty decent. The low Magicka pool also makes you increasingly weaker in prolonged battles. Small resource pool is fine for picking off solo stragglers but shows its weakness in group v. group.

Also a lot of the passives that exist in the Sorcerer trees don't give you as much versatility/value as the ones found in the Nightblade trees. This is especially obvious when you realize you will only be able to cast 1-2 spells. Those passives won't help you when you're out of Magicka. Nightblade passives can assist with weapon damage as well. The reason I will inevitably go with Nightblade over Sorcerer is that the Bow Sorc has limited resources to work with and a neutered passive set in comparison to Bow-blades.

I really wanted to play a Bow Sorc, but after much thought the Bow Nightblade is superior.

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 5, 2014

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Wadjamaloo posted:

Did you reach level 10 during the beta?

I was playing a Destruction staff sorc in PVP during the last beta and I was having magicka problems, even in full light armor. I figured that if I slapped full medium armor for a Bow spec would result in an even worse resource problem, hence my conclusion that Nightblade would likely be better. When I say "better" I don't mean that Bow-blades will overshadow Bow Sorcs and prove them to be completely gimp. If anything this game has proven that the build versatility is quite impressive.

The one reason I would really want to play a Bow Sorc is because I would have the option to switch to a staff sorc, which is immensely fun.

The most fun I had, though, was the stealthy stuff. And Nightblade has some nice skills that emphasize that type of gameplay, so that was the icing on the cake.

On another note, it's important to understand the difference between soft CC and hard CC when developing your builds, for example a CC heavy Dark Magic build would go largely underutilized due to the immunity timers. (Also tip: pressing right & left mouse buttons will break you out of hard CC (eg. stun, disorient), and dodging is supposed to break you out of soft(eg. snare); I haven't tested the latter)

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 5, 2014

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Grithok & Orv calling people spergs is adorable. :haw:

What makes Dragon Knights so sturdy? I've seen several videos like this, but I have no experience with them. What's in their toolkit that really makes this work so well? It's pretty impressive.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I wonder what the first recorded instance of CC-immunity being introduced to MMOs was? My oldest memory is in Dark Age of Camelot, Thanes used to spam their AOE stun on groups and absolutely wreck; Midgard was super strong at release. Mythic added immunity not long after that I think.

Also that guy who posted the Bow/1H-Shield Sorcerer PVP build on YouTube has a new build, this time a "Double Burst" Nightblade. He uses Heavy Armor, 2H, and a bow in this one.

link

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 5, 2014

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

quote:

From the PTS:

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to drop a line in to talk about some things coming to the game in the future that we thought you might want to know about. Of course, there is way more happening than what is listed here, with team busy on many initiatives including continued bug fixing, balancing, and other features. But these are things we can offer some tidbits on that you’ll hopefully be seeing soon. As with anything in development, things could change, so we are not guaranteeing these.
  • Adventure Zone – Craglorn and Trials We are going to be talking about this in lots of detail very soon. I know everyone is eager for details, and they will come soon.
  • FOV Slider - There isn’t a lot to say about this feature that isn’t in the title, other than we will be adding it in. We know different people have different Field Of View settings which will make them comfortable, or just not nauseous.
  • Improved World Interactivity - You will be able to pick up even more objects in the world, including picking up that sword or armor off the rack.
  • Death Recap - In your darkest hour, we rub it in. Just kidding. When you die, you will now be informed of who or what killed you, what the last top five events were that contributed to your death, and offer some hints that might contribute to your success in the future. This will be a UI element that comes up when you die. We don’t want you to die, but if you do, we want you to be a better person for it.
  • Battle Level Off - We're adding a toggle so you’ll be able to turn off battle leveling in Cyrodiil if you wish.
  • Exclusive Full Screen Mode - In Digicolor. Okay, Digicolor isn’t really a thing, but exclusive full screen mode sounded so impressive, I thought I should embellish. Sorry about that.
  • Player Separation - We know that group members can become separated in some of our content, and we are looking at ways to make sure you stay together with your group members. We are currently testing some solutions.
So there you go. Just a peek into what’s coming up, and really, that’s only a small portion of what we are working on. We’ll be announcing more in the upcoming weeks, and I’m looking forward to seeing you at launch.

Paul

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Maybe it's XP gained from PVP. Some people don't like the idea of out-leveling PVE content when they return from Cyrodil, I guess.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I've mentioned the CC mechanics before, but here's a more visual guide explaining the PVP CC mechanics.

link

tl;dw

Hard CC: Stun, Knockdown, Knockback/Pull, Disoriented, Fear
  • Break by clicking right + left mouse together.
  • 5s immunity when CC ends. Anyone with immunity with have a "spinning wind-like" animation around their character.
  • Blocking protects from hard CC (360 degree protection).
Soft CC: Immobilize, Snare
  • Immobilze can be broken with Purge or a dodge roll.
  • Snare can be broken with Purge.

Hard & soft CC can be mixed together.
Blocking does not require a shield.

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 10, 2014

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I was completely okay with "Daggerfall Goons" and was hoping that it would carry over into release, but knowing Goons I wasn't going to get my hopes up.

:smith:

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Is that a Dunmer or a Breton in black face?

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
@MissingReel needs invite. Daggerfall.

Edit: Got it. Thanks.

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Maintenance, eh. Hopefully they're fixing the broken quests (I doubt it). Especially the Betinkh Unearting the Past quest.

• Locked thread