Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What race should goons play for PvP shenanigans?
This poll is closed.
Furry Dominion 352 27.24%
Orc Covenant 464 35.91%
Lizard Pact 476 36.84%
Total: 1292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Sureal posted:

For purely leveling purposes does it make sense to buy a skill from each of your class schools and slot them on your action bar early on? The idea being that the experience starts going to all of your lines at once. It becomes less of an issue past level 15 (I think) when you start getting experience from both bars.

Also would the same tactic work for armor experience, run around like a hobo with at least one piece of each armor type to unlock skills faster?

Likely so. I tried putting lots of skills from the same tree on my bar, and the trees continued to level at the same pace. I fully intend to grab at least one skill from each tree early on. For example, I'm playing a sorcerer tank, so the summoning tree is mostly useless to me. However, at a higher level the tree has the Bound Armor ability which I want, so I'm going to slot a summoning skill early on just to be able to get Bound Armor in a timely fashion.

Armor may work differently, however. I have not tested that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Chomp8645 posted:

Not looking like a hobo is easy, just have it make sense. For example, if your primary is light armor just have a heavy armor chest piece and and a cloth belt. Bam, perfect outfit.

And then leather boots! Who the hell wears iron boots?

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

THE PWNER posted:

Is there any particular class that I should pick if I want to be a ranger type guy? Last time I played I picked Nightblade thinking "leather armor, probably the ranger" but it seemed like any class could just take bow skills and none of the class abilities made them more suited to it.

But I know little about the class system so that's why I'm asking.

I think nightblade will be the best option as it gives you stealth abilities and damage bonuses, but if you want a little more flavor, I think a sorcerer archer would be interesting. They get lots of crowd control abilities, and tools like Daedric Mines and Bolt Escape could be pretty fantastic.

I'm doing something similar in that I'm making a sorcerer tank as my main character. Many dragonknight abilities were crafted specifically for tanking, but that makes the class boring. Sorcerers can be melded into a lot of interesting shapes, I think.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

A Tartan Tory posted:

There is only one thing that makes DK tanking better than the rest, and that's magma shell.

Endless possibilities for builds with that thing when you combine it with say the werewolf passive for gaining ultimate on hit and the gear set that reduces ultimate cost (akaviri I think?) oh and carve, that gives you 9 ultimate for everything you hit in an aoe.

Theoretically, it means you can skip out on certing into health entirely, in fact that might even be optimal!

Yeah, Magma Armor is the one ability that's making me hesitate on rolling a sorcerer tank. On the other hand though, it's an ultimate that can't be up all the time, and the sorcerer abilities have vastly more spell resistance than dragonknight abilities. For example, thundering presence will essentially overcharge my spell resistance and armor for 9 seconds at max level. It's possible that sorcerers will be the better magic tanks while dragonknights will make better physical tanks.

A different question: does anyone know if you can make your secondary weapon set the same type of weapon? For example, as a tank could I make both sets sword/shield but with different abilities attached?

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

ruffz posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the poll at the top of the thread has been getting closer with Lizard Pact gaining momentum. I personally don't care at all since I bought the Imperial Edition and I'll be able to create any race in any alliance.

Psh, the Orc Covenant is still ahead by 29 votes. Real men understand that orcs and desert people are infinitely cooler than iguanas, emo elves, and drunken Scandinavians.

Edit: fine, 28 votes now. Still significant!

SoldadoDeTone fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 14, 2014

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Somewhat less than World Of Warcraft poopsocking, but hopefully not a short-lived thrill ride like Star Wars:The Old Republic was. To me, at least. Just glad I didn't pay for more than 2 months of game time for that!

Okay, guys: recommend me a character race/class that would make a good mage, please.

Well, the traditional choice would be Breton or High Elf sorcerer, but that's boring. Do something weird!

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

TehKeen posted:

Really want to roll a Breton nightblade for the thematics, but the suboptimal racials with ceaselessly bother me. :argh:

I mean, you could put together a class ability heavy build without having to put too much magicka on your gear or into your levels. It won't have the same burstiness of a Khajit, but I think you could have excellent long-term utility and dps.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Bored Grunt posted:

Could I get some opinions on Templar vs Sorcerer from those that have played both? Between the two I may go with some variety of healing, caster DPS or 2h DPS. Extra mentioned a page or two back that the templar was boring?

I thought Templar was fine; I had fun running with a two hander. If you're interested in healing or in a fairly standard paladin type class, I'd recommend Templar as you get a whole tree of heals. If you want something a little different though, sorcerer would also be fun. You just wouldn't have as many healing options or as many class-based melee abilities.

In short, from what you're talking about, in Warcraft terms choosing Templar would make you a Paladin and choosing a melee sorcerer would be like playing an Enhacement Shaman.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

TskMgr posted:

This isnt meant as derogitory towards you, but I really hope this game is good enough that people stop comparing it to world of warcraft.

World of Warcraft is a game that many MMO players have at least tried out, so it's useful as a means of comparison for small mechanics or classes. This is in no way a comparison of the two games in general.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Requesting an invite on US servers.

@tonemanc
Character name: Imam

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Invite me to guild, you sons of whores.

@tonemanc
Imam

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Vulpes posted:

What happens if you read them before you join the guild - do you still get the xp or do you have to go back later?

You get the experience, I believe. I picked one up before joining the guild, and I had some experience immediately.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Tanking is serious business in this game. I've maxed all of the tanky passives for my level, but some groups/bosses kick my rear end. Many, many encounters end up with me dead on the floor but the group victorious. I should have named my character Martyr.

In other news, as a sorcerer tank, I'm thinking of rolling sword/shield as my main set and destro staff as my offset and setting up basically a tanky, stamina based set swapping to a ranged mana and control set. What do you goons think?

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Abu Dave posted:

So how do instances and 5 mans actually work if there's no tanking or healing?

Tanking and healing are incredibly important in 5 mans. In the early dungeons you can get by without a tank or without a healer, but I certainly would not want to go into a dungeon without either. Also, having tanked a dungeon with no healer, I can tell you that it was much, much more difficult. A balanced, successful group should have a tank, healer, and three dps.

I think the real different from other MMO's is that each class isn't exclusively limited by their job. A tank can do some dps or control, and the healer could be a two handed Templar killing and healing.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

OssiansFolly posted:

I don't think they are actually bots...if they were bots they'd NEVER leave and NEVER talk. I've spent an hour or 2 farming at those locations and I'd say maybe 10% of those people don't talk or leave.

Yeah, I agree. While some of these guys are definitely bots, most of them are real players. I've been going back to low level zones and completing the public dungeons that I missed the achievement for when I was a low level and unaware of their significance. When I'm there, every single one has 5-20 players camping the dungeon boss, and every time I ask them why they do it. I'm generally greeted with a hail of pubbie nonsense, so most of them are definitely at their keyboards.

In summation, people are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Old Crows posted:

Besides the crashes, GUI, and some other buggy poo poo - this isn't a bad game. In reading bad internet posting, it seems there was a huge difference in gameplay made before the last beta test. Maybe Zen can pull it off in subsequent enhancements.

Racials - Is there a big difference end game as a result of racials? Or is it all a wash based on how you enchant?

I'm stuck between Breton and Imperial DK. Sword and Board - 'heavier' in Draconic Power. Was thinking Breton just for the magicka aspect...

I'd go Imperial, personally. As a tank, stamina is my major limiting resource since I am always blocking, dodging, taunting, and shield bashing.

• Locked thread