Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Camrath posted:

Picked this up and I'm trying to get into it but I honestly feel like I'm wrestling with my controls. I can't seem to make my throttle work at all (I use a Saitek X45 that's probably almost a decade old, so I'm not discounting hardware issues), my buttons seem to change almost at random and there's a good half-second lag between pulling my trigger and the guns actually firing.

I can see sooo much potential fun to be had, but it's just all so confusing and unintuitive that I'm not sure I'll be able to persevere enough to find it. :/

Same here with my 11 year old X45. Had a right fight getting the game to recognise the XYZ axis, it still doesn't like going nose down. The throttle doesn't work, I can't charge or fire guns with keyboard or joystick.

Everything looks okay outside the game in the calibration screen. But the in game controls screen shows a pronounced pull to one side on each axis like the stick isn't calibrated correctly.

I'm going to try a bit longer, if I can't sort it I'll bin that stick and buy a new cheapo one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Well, I've gotten xbox 360 controller to work pretty well for flying. It's touchy, but it works. I've been manually setting trim by loving with the response tab too, so that certain planes don't try pulling up constantly.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Shine posted:

At least our thread hijack was thematically similar, unlike those ARMA guys who won't shut up in the IL-2 thread :colbert:.

I made a seperate thread for that in PGS.

I need to get back in this game

OH GOD SO MANY GAMES.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
If anyone who's purchased the game through Steam is having issues with the native resolution and can't get at the menu because it's cut off due to monitor size, just run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rise of flight 2.0\bin_game\release\settings.exe". It's the out-of-game settings menu that is the non-Steam version's front-end/launcher.

Bondematt posted:

With radials it is easy to reuse the oil as compared to a rotary. I don't know of any radial engines with a total loss system.

Post WWI the benefits of a rotary engine no longer made up for their issues. They had a good power/weight, but increased drag, a big rotating mass, and poor oil consumption made it less and less appealing.

Ah, I misread "rotary" as "radial". Yeah, rotary engines are a right bitch.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just did another attempt at the final training mission, and as I approached the target I loving hit like...F10 or F9 or something and my view loving snapped to "acting like a man-dog-hybrid sticking his head out of the driver's side window" and my hat would only temporarily snap to a give place and I got my rear end blown up. :qq:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

The Orange Mage posted:

I just did another attempt at the final training mission, and as I approached the target I loving hit like...F10 or F9 or something and my view loving snapped to "acting like a man-dog-hybrid sticking his head out of the driver's side window" and my hat would only temporarily snap to a give place and I got my rear end blown up. :qq:

F10 sets your default F1 view to your current view. It's handy if you prefer a more zoomed out view or to line up your eyes with a gun sight. The downside is that if you hit it by mistake, it's hella bad! Hold your "look forward" snap key and press F10 again. I think that will fix it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Picked this up last night and played through the tutorial campaign (great diagrams, hilarious voice acting). Really digging flying planes with less horsepower than a car.

A while back I got a logitech 3d pro to fly war thunder after being inspired by some pro stock users on youtube but it never felt right and I eventually abandoned it and returned to mouse. In comparison, RoF felt great and after the 2nd mission I was pretty comfortable with the stick. I think the low speed and floatyness of the biplanes help make the joystick transition easier.

If anyone has a stick they want to use (but it doesn't get any current use) you should pick this up.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Captain Beans posted:

If anyone has a stick they want to use (but it doesn't get any current use) you should pick this up.

I'm starting to think a stick might be more needed than I originally thought. Soon as something is interfering with a planes handling, flying becomes difficult, let alone aiming. Aiming turns into a special kind of hell as you bob as weave all over the place.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Nothing like diving in from a very short distance above a bomber, riddling him with your over-wing guns, and then realizing that your control surfaces just tore themselves off because you went faster than 200kmh :black101:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Picked this up last night and played through the tutorial campaign (great diagrams, hilarious voice acting). Really digging flying planes with less horsepower than a car.

I like to think the training campaign is a future you who traveled back in time to train yourself, since they have the same voice.

Also I have that same stick. Pretty sure I only paid $20 for it too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Still my baby, after all these years.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still my baby, after all these years.

Man, I really wish my CH stick had force feedback. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't have the force feedback model, that one is more rounded and bulgy at the base:

I wish I did. :smith:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't have the force feedback model, that one is more rounded and bulgy at the base:

My dad bought this years ago and it's just sitting around collecting dust. One of these days I'll steal it.

Shine fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 6, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I can't get the throttle to work at all either, and half the controls seem wonky.

Maybe... maybe it's finally time to get a new joystick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What model is that? I've never seen that one before.

Go hunting at goodwills and stuff, I've heard of people finding joysticks in good shape for stupidly cheap. I've never been that lucky, but I did get a perfectly fine wireless MS Lasermouse 5000 for $3 a couple months back. It was missing the wireless receiver... good thing my previous mouse was the exact same model.

Anyways, to keep things somewhat on topic. Artless proposed a Gotha race for if we ever manage to do a large multiplayer session. The idea of seeing who can take off, fly a few kilometers out to some point, fly back and land first sounds hilarious. I've yet to successfully land a Gotha in about a half-dozen attempts.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

To those feeling like they're wrestling with their plane: Look into guides for the Response curve for your plane of choice. Since these early planes dont have trim aside from the leather in the cockpit, you'll need to have it set in the options and your plane will permanently have the chosen angle for the elevator, pitch, or rudder set as the default. I use -15 degrees for instance on the Spad to help me stay stable.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've gotten so used to accounting for the torque and stuff I don't even think about it anymore.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I just use a standard s-curve thingy for everything and wrestle with the stick like a pro. immersion, bitches.

also I'm very bad at everything.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

I just use a standard s-curve thingy for everything and wrestle with the stick like a pro. immersion, bitches.

Same.

Megadyptes posted:

also I'm very bad at everything.

Same.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyways, to keep things somewhat on topic. Artless proposed a Gotha race for if we ever manage to do a large multiplayer session. The idea of seeing who can take off, fly a few kilometers out to some point, fly back and land first sounds hilarious. I've yet to successfully land a Gotha in about a half-dozen attempts.

And if you crash, you can gun for other people! I will never get a gotha more than 10 feet off the ground.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
There will probably need to be some rules, just throwing these out there.

1) No shooting until both are airborne
2) If you crash you can start shooting whenever
3) Steering your flaming wreckage at others is not only allowed, but also encouraged

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Bondematt posted:

3) Steering your flaming wreckage at others is not only allowed, but also encouraged

Yeah, the no shooting until airborne is a definite one. I'll play around with the online stuff and see if there's a way I can place waypoints on the map for everyone.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maybe we should do a low altitude race (in better airplanes) where the course is lined with flak guns and machinegun nests. :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGFkYOXP7s

Oh and balloons to serve as obstacles/bonus points.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Just did a test flight of the Gotha race map and we are all going to loving die.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Fabian Becker made it to the western front okay, managed to take off and even made a brave stab at setting up his controls. Couldn't find anything that would fire the guns on the Plane though.

Still managed to limp away from the landing...

So, how do you fire the guns? I fear the balloonists have not yet learned to fear me.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the stick I got. The FF owns in this game, unlike War Thunder. The stick gets lighter depending on your maneuvers and you can feel when you get hit and whatnot. You don't have to look down to land because you can feel the wheels touching down.

Megadyptes posted:

I use the s-curve for my rudder, since my Force Feedback(:smug:) helps with the other axis.

Hav posted:

So, how do you fire the guns? I fear the balloonists have not yet learned to fear me.

There is a million different buttons for all the different kinds of guns(and one for every gun). You do have to charge the guns by hitting the reload key first.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 7, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Hav posted:

Fabian Becker made it to the western front okay, managed to take off and even made a brave stab at setting up his controls. Couldn't find anything that would fire the guns on the Plane though.

Still managed to limp away from the landing...

Make sure your guns are cocked aswell, I usually only do it as I enter combat as they jam over time.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Shine posted:

Just did a test flight of the Gotha race map and we are all going to loving die.

Definitely. Should be fun :getin:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My first career:

I killed a 2-seater in my Albatross, but it damaged a wing strut and shot away my prop and I landed in a field with my left wing falling off.

Next patrol, I shot down a Sopwith Triplane which damaged my ailerons so I couldn't turn properly, then accidentally rammed his wingman. I lost my prop and part of my right wing, and controlled the plane nearly all the way down. Then died. I got credited with the 2 kills for the mission, so I guess he crashed too.

e: I also tried to use a Gotha as an Ac-130 type deal. It sorta worked, but gently caress that plane. Racing them sounds like the best idea.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Leo Showers posted:

Make sure your guns are cocked aswell, I usually only do it as I enter combat as they jam over time.

Yeah, you have to charge your weapons before you can fire them. Push R to cock them. This is also how you clear jams and reload lewis guns and other magazine-fed weapons.

Its really embarrassing to reach a fight, sight a target, pull the trigger and... nothing. Whoops, forgot to cock! :shobon:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

So the Indie Gala is doing "Happy Hour" right now. If you buy it again (I guess?) and check "Gift" you'll get 4 extra keys as gifts for $7.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bondematt posted:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe we should do a low altitude race (in better airplanes) where the course is lined with flak guns and machinegun nests. :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGFkYOXP7s

Oh and balloons to serve as obstacles/bonus points.

This. My entire goon-life has been leading me to this point. :getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Artless Meat posted:

So the Indie Gala is doing "Happy Hour" right now. If you buy it again (I guess?) and check "Gift" you'll get 4 extra keys as gifts for $7.
That sounds drat crazy. :psyduck:

Shine posted:

After you left, Artless and I dicked around with Felixstowes, including me using him for Davis Gun target practice:

Its too bad the Felixstowe's damage model doesn't include structural damage to the fuselage, in reality that probably would've cracked him in half, at the least. However, to his credit, he nailed me with that second flare.

You can see the ricochet in its trail in the second screenshot

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 7, 2014

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

No. 8 squadron has seen better days, I guess they're about to start sending me on 2-3 sorties every day with the replacement commander of the day/mission and whoever happens to be out of the hospital. When do we get real replacements, and will my squadmates who are surviving long enough to get experience learn to not ram albatrosses and get shot down by two seaters? Right now this feels more like late-war germany than flying sopwith triplanes against albatrosses. Would a ww1 squadron really operate when this badly under strength?

Someone would probably be mad at me for doing this on my last landing but considering I was the only one who made it back I'm way above par.

Now it's me who's in the hospital, I was on the tail of an albatross and another came up behind and hit me with his first burst. It was fun although I have to say I could do without the swarm of 10 planes 10 km away slowing the game to 50% speed, it's pretty hard to fly properly when that's happening and they weren't really involved in anything.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 7, 2014

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

I don't suppose anyone knows if there is an easy way to run an online coop PWCG dynamic campaign?

It seems like I have to shutdown the server and load the next mission manually each time we finish a mission? (why does loading take so looong?)

Also, is there any way to customise the pilot names for other players?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Tried flying the Gotha for the first time today, crashed shortly after takeoff. on a related note I love the bombsights

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
There's something deeply amusing about how much easier it is to maneuver a rickety WW1 biplane through a series of rings than it is to do the same with Superman.

Megadyptes posted:

Tried flying the Gotha for the first time today, crashed shortly after takeoff. on a related note I love the bombsights

Bravo, goonsire.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So does adjusting the POV settings also adjust the FOV? I don't mind where the default snaps take the view to, but the fact that tapping the hat on my stick makes my eyes revert back to the ridiculous tunnel vision defaults is quite infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ShineDog posted:

So does adjusting the POV settings also adjust the FOV? I don't mind where the default snaps take the view to, but the fact that tapping the hat on my stick makes my eyes revert back to the ridiculous tunnel vision defaults is quite infuriating.

You can change to default view to whatever you want, fortunately. When you hit F10 to save your default view, that also saves the zoom level. Just zoom where you like it by default, and then hit F10.

• Locked thread