Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
A tip on landing: When you touch down with your wheels and tail skid apply a blast of throttle as you start rolling to reduce the chance of your aircraft veering off in a direction you don't want it to go as it slows down. If your plane still starts to creep a bit, while you are blasting the throttle, apply a bit of opposite rudder to straighten out before you kill the throttle again.

Just tryin' to save all ya'lls brittle wings and struts. This keeps you from doing the classic spin out on landing that I know frustrated me when I first started.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

After a busy and tiring day I sit down to play this and stream to friends on teamspeak. I should really emphasize the tired part because I end up accidentially tackling a Sopwith Pup right out of the air and live. I end up shooting and damaging one, and the second gets absolutely obliterated and I am glad the stream autosaves.

http://www.twitch.tv/billyjoebob1337/c/3852529

:black101:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Trying to recover from poo poo like that is one of the funnest parts of this game. Surprising how intense it gets sometimes.

Limping home after a dogfight praying that your beat up wing doesn't fall off and that you don't run into any patrols on your way back to the aerodrome.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

What config do you use for it? I find whatever way I hold the stick applies twist when I also want to roll. I've the twist axis at an extremely low setting now but it still seems to kick in when I don't expect it. I'll probably unbind it entirely.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Armitage_Shanks posted:

What config do you use for it? I find whatever way I hold the stick applies twist when I also want to roll. I've the twist axis at an extremely low setting now but it still seems to kick in when I don't expect it. I'll probably unbind it entirely.

For RoF a lot of the planes are meant to bank with the rudder, so without it you will lose a lot of roll control. On some planes it is so bad that ailerons are to be used only for their adverse yaw effect, and rudder for roll.

Happy 13th-16th year of aviation!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

1 Hour till Gothas, I think.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Galaga Galaxian posted:

1 Hour till Gothas, I think.

Any landing you can walkbe wheeled away from, I guess.

Edit: Man, you slip for a second in that Gotha and it reminds you that it is only a plane because people said so.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 9, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
poo poo you got me to buy this during the Winter sale GG and I still haven't touched it. Gotta get on that for the next session of shenanigans.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
So would this be a good time to say that I've never tried taking off and/or landing a Gotha?

I mean, what's the worst that can happen? Hell, if you can fly a Sopwith Camel*, you can fly anything**

*I may not be able to fly a Sopwith Camel.

** Name the quote, win a "prize".

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Server is up, feel free to join whenever. We're using this mumble instead of CTS now. Goonsquad is the name, Is the password

pixelbaron posted:

If you want to use my server for hosting you're more than welcome, I've been hosting a Mumble server for years for flight sim goons as a hangout:

AirGoons.mumble.cc:31148

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I had some poo poo come up this morning and can't make it :argh:. Post lots of pictures!

Prediction: There will be at least one round where everybody crashes.

e: possibly into each other.

Shine fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 9, 2014

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

Bondematt posted:

For RoF a lot of the planes are meant to bank with the rudder,

I used the in game control thing to change it from a linear response to an S curve which means small accidental twisting has less impact and more deliberate movements act as expected. I'd originally looked at this setting menu and ran screaming but after spending a minute with it I've to say I'm impressed how easy it was to setup. There's a nice graph showing you your input and the aircraft response. Managed to do the training mission on take off and landing now. Flipped the plane on landing but still counted as completed. Pretty funny watching the success cut scene with a screen full of blood/oil/dirt/marmalade (or whatever the hit effect is meant to represent).

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shine posted:

I had some poo poo come up this morning and can't make it :argh:. Post lots of pictures!

Prediction: There will be at least one round where everybody crashes.

e: possibly into each other.

The first Gotha race everyone crashed on take off except one person who managed to make it into the air.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Whelp, I had put it on Twitch, but apparently it reset the "automatically archive" bit. So no video there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

pixelbaron posted:

The first Gotha race everyone crashed on take off except one person who managed to make it into the air.

:smug:

I used the ingame recorder to record that too, so I'll try to make a gif, will be tough to make one that isn't massive though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

pixelbaron posted:

Hahahahahahahaha :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shine posted:

Hahahahahahahaha :allears:

Recommended listening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSav51fVlKU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Here is take off attempt #2 from some of the others while I was still airborne:

Takeoff attempt #3:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 9, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Christ, that loving Gotha. No wonder the Germans lost the war. :psyduck:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
To be fair that aerodrome is a nightmare to get out of in big slow planes like that.

Trees surrounding you except for a small pocket of clearing. We were screwed regardless.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ofaloaf posted:

Christ, that loving Gotha. No wonder the Germans lost the war. :psyduck:

Its not that hard to take off in if you know how to do it, have plenty of relatively smooth runway field, and are doing it one at a time.

We mostly were lacking in at least two of the three.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I'm guessing there's no way I could download that indiegala steam version and just log in with my normal non-channel battle account, huh?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No, sorry. The Steam and RoF store versions purchases are incompatible for whatever reason.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, sorry. The Steam and RoF store versions purchases are incompatible for whatever reason.

Eh, figured as much. Still somewhat temped so I've at least got the ability to join in when we're channel-mapping.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, how much stuff for the Standard/Non-steam version do you have? At $6 for what the bundle is offering, it might be worth it just to make a second account.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Didn't someone email them a couple of pages back, and they manually teched the tech to make it work?

I believe the incompatibility is currently due to the comedy DLC packs not being the same across platforms.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hav posted:

Didn't someone email them a couple of pages back, and they manually teched the tech to make it work?

I believe the incompatibility is currently due to the comedy DLC packs not being the same across platforms.

No, what they did was change his emails around so he could associate his primary email account to his new Steam version RoF account.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, how much stuff for the Standard/Non-steam version do you have? At $6 for what the bundle is offering, it might be worth it just to make a second account.

Looking at the planes that come with the steam channel version, it's worth it. I'm losing a few Sopwiths, my handguns and the DR.I (And an albatross, I think)

Gonna make a second account and not worry about it.

Edit: I mean, $6 for all that is one hell of a deal, seriously.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Here is what is currently in the bundle:

The English Channel map (featuring Belgium) in addition to the free Western Front map.

Scouts (Fighters):
:britain:
Sopwith Camel
S.E.5a
:france:
SPAD 7*
SPAD 13
Nieuport 11*
Nieuport 17
Nieuport 28
:hitler:
Halberstadt D.II*
Albatros D.III*
Albatros D.Va
Fokker D.VII
Fokker DR.1
Pfalz D.XII

Seaplanes:
:britain: Felixstowe F.2a (think WW1 PBY)
:hitler: Brandenburg W12 (a two-seater)*

Two-Seaters:
:hitler: DFW C.V*

Strategic Bombers:
:hitler: Gotha G.V*
:britain: Handley Page 0-400*

*Comes with Field/Weapon mods

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Wait those are ALL in the indiegala bundle? Yup. Definitely making a separate account, then. I guess I'll just say I've got a german account and a british account. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yup, it has the Channel Battles Pack, Furious Wings Pack, and the Legendary Bombers pack. There is also a possibility that it may include a 3rd DLC pack too, since one item in the bundle hasn't been revealed yet.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
For reference, do not use rudder when taking off in the Gotha, you want to use the ailerons to control direction. I also usually just push the nose down until I get enough speed where it pops off the ground itself, you absolutely cannot pull the Gotha off the ground until it does it by itself.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, pushing the stick forward to get the tail off the ground is pretty useful in most planes when taking off. On most of these things the tail "wheel" is more like a reenforced strut that might have a small roller on the end. You accelerate much quicker once thats not dragging on the ground. Also to brake when landing, pull the stick back to apply pressure on the tail wheel.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It took me a little while to actually get the feel of the Gotha but I unironically enjoy flying it now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It does seem like it'd be a neat little "pleasure cruiser" like the Felixstowe or Aircho DH2 (at least for me). I wonder what a career for it would be like in PWCG? Going on night bombing raids to England sounds interesting, half the challenge would be keeping formation! Assuming you didn't just autopilot it.

On the flip side, I've been toying with the idea of what seeing English Home Defense would be like. The idea of having to locate and attack night bombers sounds challenging. Especially if you don't use the pop up labels.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It does seem like it'd be a neat little "pleasure cruiser" like the Felixstowe or Aircho DH2 (at least for me). I wonder what a career for it would be like in PWCG? Going on night bombing raids to England sounds interesting, half the challenge would be keeping formation! Assuming you didn't just autopilot it.

On the flip side, I've been toying with the idea of what seeing English Home Defense would be like. The idea of having to locate and attack night bombers sounds challenging. Especially if you don't use the pop up labels.

Posting while flying. :haw: I just started a career in a Gotha and its sending me and 2 other Gothas to bomb Marquise during the day. This will go well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, that is quite the long-distance flight. I wouldn't want to do that without (level)autopilot and time acceleration. What altitude are you flying at?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Also, with all this flare talk, what do they all represent? I get that red = "attack!" and green = "safe to take off" (and possibly other things?) but what about the others? Since all I've really used them for is as a last-resort projectile weapon, and to try to ricochet them off the ground into the underside of low-flying enemy balloons! :D

Artless Meat posted:

:siren: Reminder that Tomorrow, 5PM GMT (Noon EST) there will be Gothas. :siren:

Could someone please tell me when this is imminent, if I happen to be online at the time? I doubt it, but here's my Steam ID regardless:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/majorisoor

Thanks

EDIT: vvv :saddowns:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You missed it. :v: it was this morning. See my gifs above.

Also, the flare signal meaning differed greatly depending on who fired it and what service. I'll check see if I can find what RoF uses for standard.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 10, 2014

• Locked thread