Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Are the campaigns and poo poo co-opable? I haven't messed with any co-op options yet.

Rudi Starnberg posted:

If you have Track IR this bit is :siren: super important :siren: Otherwise whenever you reset your view you will screw your sights up, and you will have to bob your head about to try and align the sights whilsts also keeping situational awareness and maneuvering.

I find it best to pause the TrackIR, move the view with the keyboard (using the pilot head controls, not the camera controls!), press F10, and then unpause TrackIR. Now it'll be perfectly aligned.

Shine fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

Also the thread should totally have been called Rise of Flight - Brought to you by War Thunder™

At least our thread hijack was thematically similar, unlike those ARMA guys who won't shut up in the IL-2 thread :colbert:.

1.5 TDM servers (1.5 = full sim mode) are fun when there's a 10-plane furball and you can't yet tell planes apart other than by looking at the emblems painted on the wings. The fun part is when somebody has no idea you're stalking them, and you open fire from what feels like twenty feet. Or when that happens to you :negative:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe I'll have to see about getting a goon to fly gunner for me some time. Orbiting a ground target and having the gunner unload with his LMG 14/17 is decently effective.

I think I would be down to do this basically all the time. Anybody who plays this, add me on Steam (ShineSA) and I'm down to fly around.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Orange Mage posted:

I just did another attempt at the final training mission, and as I approached the target I loving hit like...F10 or F9 or something and my view loving snapped to "acting like a man-dog-hybrid sticking his head out of the driver's side window" and my hat would only temporarily snap to a give place and I got my rear end blown up. :qq:

F10 sets your default F1 view to your current view. It's handy if you prefer a more zoomed out view or to line up your eyes with a gun sight. The downside is that if you hit it by mistake, it's hella bad! Hold your "look forward" snap key and press F10 again. I think that will fix it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still my baby, after all these years.

Man, I really wish my CH stick had force feedback. :argh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't have the force feedback model, that one is more rounded and bulgy at the base:

I wish I did. :smith:

My dad bought this years ago and it's just sitting around collecting dust. One of these days I'll steal it.

Shine fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 6, 2014

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

I just use a standard s-curve thingy for everything and wrestle with the stick like a pro. immersion, bitches.

Same.

Megadyptes posted:

also I'm very bad at everything.

Same.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Just did a test flight of the Gotha race map and we are all going to loving die.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ShineDog posted:

So does adjusting the POV settings also adjust the FOV? I don't mind where the default snaps take the view to, but the fact that tapping the hat on my stick makes my eyes revert back to the ridiculous tunnel vision defaults is quite infuriating.

You can change to default view to whatever you want, fortunately. When you hit F10 to save your default view, that also saves the zoom level. Just zoom where you like it by default, and then hit F10.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

DFW C.V is a smaller two seater recon plane that can also dogfight to some degree and carry bombs. It's in the legendary bombers dlc

Yup, and that DLC comes with the ridiculous IndieGala bundle, so assuming you got it there, you should have it!

Megadyptes posted:

should come with the reflector thingy that you put on the peak of a hat.

I've always used this and it works perfectly well IMO. I can't imagine playing this or IL-2 without head tracking.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

More than anything right now I want to figure out how to adjust your view orientation in the gunner view.

Half the time the sights end up in a random corner of the screen and are barely usable, and the normal view controls don't seem to do anything.

"T" to man the turret, and shift-T (or maybe it's control-T) to align the gunsights to your view.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

UberJew posted:

Got my joystick and finally started playing this and holy poo poo is binding the controls a miserable experience. It has no duplicate commands checker, the defaults for things are actually insane/unusuable and it does not want to recognize that yes, I want engine throttle mapped to the throttle on my logitech.

I want to like you, game! Why won't you let me

If you duplicate a binding, a little square icon or something appears on the binding after you apply it. Hovering over it will tell you what the duplicate is.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I tried to fly the Fokker Tri Whatever, and I'm convinced that it's impossible and the Red Baron actually flew a time-traveling Chaika.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Does anybody have a good guide or some tips to use the rudder effectively? I don't always know what to do with it, and these planes seem less forgiving of that than, say, IL-2 stuff.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

Also: The SE5A owns and everyone should fly it because it owns.

Thanks for the rudder tips. I'll mess with it more over the weekend.

The SE5A is hella easy to fly and I really like it. The gunsight is kind of awkward, though, being way off to the left like that. Am I missing something or do you really need to lean over and get air blasting in your face to use it?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

Nah, you use the clamp for where the Aldis sight should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzxLT4FlgKQ

Oh hey :downs:. Thanks, now it is the perfect plane.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

So in regards to the Indiegala thing, seems like it might be a good idea to just wait until that last gift is revealed before spending money on one of the DLCs?

That'd be most prudent. I bought the Ace pack at full price to support the developers at least a bit, given that they only are getting like 1% of their usual revenue from these bundle packs.

That happy hour deal is insane :psyduck:.

Bondematt posted:

That IndieGala thing is insane. Bought the pack this last week and just did the happy hour thing.

That's a lot of RoF keys.

When the other thing unlocks; Is it like the Humble Bundle where I get it if I paid more than the average at the time I bought it?

As long as you paid enough to get the RoF stuff in the first place, then you should get the last unlock. I got the first unlock no problem even though I bought back when the "pay more than" price was $4.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Quote is not edit.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Huh. This has just made me want to throw money at the Channel Battles thing.

https://www.indiegala.com/rise

Over $100 of RoF content for $5.49 minimum.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I had some poo poo come up this morning and can't make it :argh:. Post lots of pictures!

Prediction: There will be at least one round where everybody crashes.

e: possibly into each other.

Shine fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 9, 2014

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

The first Gotha race everyone crashed on take off except one person who managed to make it into the air.

Hahahahahahahaha :allears:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: vvv Forgot about that. But yeah, definitely no Brenners. And no dual-MGs either, possibly?

Just reply. This VVVVV thing is dumb.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

(EDIT: Re-read your post and OK I kinda get you there for that particular instance you quoted. But what about my saddowns one, where there's not really enough to warrant a new post? Or if it's just an acknowledgement where it doesn't really matter if they see it or not, like if you're asking them a question?)

IMO if somebody just edits in an emoticon or a "Thanks!" or something, then it's whatever. I think it's just weird to do when you're editing in a future-reply that contributes to the conversation/asks somebody a question, when doing the future-reply thing makes it less likely that the person you'll replying to will see the reply, y'know? That said, I will also freely acknowledge that this is basically my personal mod pet peeve, and if you asked AxeManiac for his opinion he'd probably just laugh and drink vodka and forget what you'd asked him.

I'm hella happy to see this thread getting so much activity already. This game is hella cool and I'm so glad this ridiculous Indie Gala deal came about and gave everybody a dozen keys or whatever. Gonna get everybody I know to buy a joystick and play this game :allears:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm hanging out in Mumble now to get some futile practice in.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I just tried to GIS a picture of the "Red Baron's tombstone" and now I'm depressed.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

.co.uk supremecy!

That "Richthofen" tombstone is badass as hell.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

South posted:

Looking at getting this game, How is the multiplayer aspect of this game?

Seems like there are always a few populated servers, and you can do private stuff too, like that goon Gotha race we had a few months back which I'm pretty sure nobody won due to all the crashing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Splode posted:

I've been mucking around with the free version of this with Endman, it's a great game!

I think WW1 might just have had more interesting dogfights. Compared to WW2 sims (primarily IL-2), it's nice and close, dogfights go for a fair bit longer (no 30mm autocannons yet!), and Booming and Zooming isn't the be-all and end-all strategy like it is in IL-2. IL-2 had pretty bad online servers because of this, you tended to just get creamed by someone diving in on you from the stratosphere, who'd then climb straight back up.

I think I'll pick up the steam version when it goes on sale, if there's a newer game coming out I'll hold off dropping big bucks on it. I also need to invest in a track IR...

Check your PM's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh by the way, if anyone is interested and hasn't noticed it yet. Endman is doing a Let's Play of Rise of Flight over in the LP subforum.

This is a really good LP and he's also running co-op missions, so you should all check it out.

• Locked thread