Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Since I'm joystickless at this time, does anyone know if this will work with a gamepad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Well, I've gotten xbox 360 controller to work pretty well for flying. It's touchy, but it works. I've been manually setting trim by loving with the response tab too, so that certain planes don't try pulling up constantly.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Captain Beans posted:

If anyone has a stick they want to use (but it doesn't get any current use) you should pick this up.

I'm starting to think a stick might be more needed than I originally thought. Soon as something is interfering with a planes handling, flying becomes difficult, let alone aiming. Aiming turns into a special kind of hell as you bob as weave all over the place.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I don't have a flight stick, can I use an Xbox 360 controller for this game?

Yes. I'm using a Xbox 350 controller. It is possible. That said, a joystick would be ten times easier, and some planes are straight up uncontrollable with the controller. On the other hand, once you've got your controls setup properly, and you've hosed with the response curves, some planes fly AMAZINGLY well. The Airco DH2 was a favourite of mine before for it's looks, now it's a favourite for how it flies.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shanakin posted:

This is better explained with images, but the most important thing to know is that the direction your aircraft is pointing, isn't necessarily the direction the aircraft is travelling in. What is happening with the rudder is you are causing your plane to do a slide slip... basically car drifting in the air. When you let go of the rudder, aerodynamic forces will rapidly return you to the most aerodynamic direction, which is generally forward. Yes rudder induces a yawing, but it will be somewhere between straight and the direction of your nose. Rudders, will frequently induce pitching as well as they are rarely lined up evenly with the centre of mass (that is to say it tends to extend upward above the CoM more than it does below).

It's also worth noting that the direction your bullets move in will be the sum of the vectors of your gun barrels and your movement. That is to say, if your direction of travel is different from the direction of your barrels, the sights will be misaligned. If you are yawing hard to the left, you may find your bullets landing to the right of where you expected. Now at the ranges involved in biplane combat it's not the biggest factor to worry about but it's still a thing.

In short you really shouldn't use rudder when shooting.

Also watch this video. It's for Il-2 but the principles are the same.
http://youtu.be/ebBI0CJX7LY

Well, knowing this helps quite a bit. Now I just need to figure out how to manage to line up a shot on a turning target with just roll and pitch. It's not easy to do on a controller, because your inputs can so rapidly go from one extreme to another, especially if the controller has a dead zone(I lose about 15% of my roll, 12% of my pitch thanks to a wobbly thumbstick.)

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dandywalken posted:

This game has me considering buying rudder pedals :( I can handle DCS:A10C, but these crates just wobble way too much with a twist rudder.

Failing that I need to get competent and change my rudder settings to something appropriate.

If I can handle the rudder being a pair of triggers, you can probably handle the twist. To be honest, a joystick would be nice though.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Azran posted:

Mohawk, is there a way for you to share your config/keybindings? Like in War Thunder, where you can just upload a small .cfg file. I'd love to play this game, even if it's Hard Mode from the beginning till I get an actual joystick.

Yes there is! Send m a PM with your email address and I'll send you the file. You'll want to put in rise of flight/data/input and it'll work for you. I highly suggest you set up a dead zone in your responses if your thumbsticks are the slightest bit wobbly though.

edit: sent! you should have the file any time now

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 10, 2014

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm waiting to be out of classes and hopefully employed so I can grab a bloody joystick and pedals. Playing with an Xbox 360 controller wasn't cutting it. Just far, far too much time tweaking response curves and settings to be worth it.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Thief posted:

I've found a cheap joystick does just fine. The 25$ Logitec 3D whatever does everything you need it to but I personally don't mind using a twist for rudder.

The real ridiculous expense is the TrackIR. It's almost actually necessary for this and Il-2:BoS... using the mouse to look around while flying is like rubbing your stomach and tapping your head except you're in the middle of a dogfight.

If I had $25, that might actually be worth looking at. However, I'm completely broke after paying tuition.

As for mouse and joystick at the same time, that actually doesn't bother me. I used to play Mechwarrior 3 that way.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So I've got all my real expenses paid for and I found $50 on the street. Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap joystick? All I really care is that it has throttle and yaw.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So I was playing earlier today with a borrowed joystick. It's the first time I've used a proper joystick, instead of struggling to use an xbox controller.

6 kills while flying a Roland, 3 of those with the nose gun.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Rolad is an amazing two seater. For much of its career its faster or as fast as any enemy fighter, and its agility isn't too bad either. They're genuinely dangerous and PWCG often assigns Roland equipped squadrons to fighter roles in addition to their normal two-seater work.

It looks cool too, and gives the pilot and gunner a good field of view at level or above.

Not to mention that's it's stable as a motherfucker. Like rock loving solid. There's no wobble, no constant fighting with controls, just get on target and tear a motherfucker up. After struggling to keep Eindeckers and DH2s on target, it was like magic.

• Locked thread