Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shine posted:

Does anybody have a good guide or some tips to use the rudder effectively? I don't always know what to do with it, and these planes seem less forgiving of that than, say, IL-2 stuff.

Piloting aircraft before the Fokker DVII: use the rudder to initiate a bank and your ailerons to correct the bank. This is the opposite of what you are used to in more modern airplanes because WWI aircraft had notoriously ineffective ailerons or none at all. Beyond that it's just sticking with one or two aircraft and practicing turns and maneuvers with various amounts of rudder until you're comfortable and have found that sweet spot.

Fokker DR1 Triplane: The bastard was built tail heavy so you've got to learn to fly it with the rudder and also to keep the nose down because it's going to try and pull you back and/or flip you in turns.

Also: The SE5A owns and everyone should fly it because it owns.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Nah, you use the clamp for where the Aldis sight should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzxLT4FlgKQ

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Ofaloaf posted:

To be honest, I snapped up Rise of Flight from the Indie Gala deal without actually looking up how much it actually costs, because the value of donation for the bundle seemed like a good deal regardless of whatever the original cost of the game was. I have since looked up the actual price of Rise of Flight and its associated DLC on steam.

:stare:

What kind of people think a pricing scheme like that is a good idea? If each of the DLC bits was a fifth the price of what they are right now I'd probably end up buying most of them over time, but at their current price I don't even want to buy one of them. What in the hell is with these prices?

Flight sims and wargames have really terrible price schemes because developers/publishers are stubborn and figure since it's a niche game that they have to charge large amounts of money. Plus the people that usually play them have a lot of disposable income and don't complain about it, or even see it as a badge of honor to pay large amounts of money for their hobby.

It's really stupid, but Rise of Flight is one of the handful of groups that has jumped to Steam so maybe hopefully sometime down the line they will wise up and lower their prices a bit to get more sales.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Artless Meat posted:

Ah, right, I was forgetting that. Use CTS mumble, and I'll make a server called Goonsquad. This will be the password.

If you want to use my server for hosting you're more than welcome, I've been hosting a Mumble server for years for flight sim goons as a hangout:

AirGoons.mumble.cc:31148

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Artless Meat posted:

Awesome, thanks! This would actually work a lot better, as its a hell of a lot less crowded.

If you need any rooms added or linked or whatever let me know and I'll hook you guys up.

Might have to dust my joystick off and get in on this, I have close to all the planes and can actually somewhat fly a Gotha. :getin:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
A tip on landing: When you touch down with your wheels and tail skid apply a blast of throttle as you start rolling to reduce the chance of your aircraft veering off in a direction you don't want it to go as it slows down. If your plane still starts to creep a bit, while you are blasting the throttle, apply a bit of opposite rudder to straighten out before you kill the throttle again.

Just tryin' to save all ya'lls brittle wings and struts. This keeps you from doing the classic spin out on landing that I know frustrated me when I first started.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 9, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Trying to recover from poo poo like that is one of the funnest parts of this game. Surprising how intense it gets sometimes.

Limping home after a dogfight praying that your beat up wing doesn't fall off and that you don't run into any patrols on your way back to the aerodrome.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shine posted:

I had some poo poo come up this morning and can't make it :argh:. Post lots of pictures!

Prediction: There will be at least one round where everybody crashes.

e: possibly into each other.

The first Gotha race everyone crashed on take off except one person who managed to make it into the air.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
To be fair that aerodrome is a nightmare to get out of in big slow planes like that.

Trees surrounding you except for a small pocket of clearing. We were screwed regardless.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Is there any good way to attack two seaters in this game?

Have a period training poster that answers this question:

First Step
Attacker: Attack machine directly behind and below.
Defender: Enemy gun unable to bear on you.

Second Step
Defender: Enemy machine banking in attempt to bring his rear gun(s) on you.
Attacker: Turn in opposite direction of enemy bank to foil them from getting their gun(s) on you.

Third Step
Attacker: Regain a favorable attacking position by turning into the enemy.
Defender: Enemy machine trying to come out of bank as the evasive maneuver has failed.

Fourth Step
Go back to First Step

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
There are mods that will restrict the gunnery on the AI a bit more so they can't do dumb AI stuff like being able to fire through their own aircraft's wings and structure to get at you.

Here's the compilation that includes it, might help.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
A selection of reading material, for those that might be inclined:

Somme Success

Bloody April

Aces Falling

Winged Victory

Sagittarius Rising

Black Fokker Leader

The Red Fighter Pilot

Goshawk Squadron

Guns of August

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I've played the previous version Over Flanders Fields and it was pretty good. You really aren't going to get a more immersive single-player campaign anywhere else. The problem is that it's using the Combat Flight Simulator 3 engine from Microsoft and it has its issues even with all the work they put into it. As Megadyptes said the aircraft don't feel as good as in Rise of Flight and the visuals aren't as good in a general sense, but it's definitely an experience. You've got modeled troops moving along the lines and in the trenches and things going on all over the place and it really feels like you're playing a simulator of WWI as an aviator. Rise of Flight is pretty weak in that regard though Patrick Wilson's Campaign thing does a good job of making it more interesting and varied (it also curbs a lot of stuff from OFF/WOFF).

If you really like WWI aviation then I would say go for it. Also remember that you need a working copy of Combat Flight Simulator 3, which is another issue. Don't go into it thinking you can just buy WOFF and play you have to buy the base game from Amazon or something. WOFF is more or less a total conversion mod you pay for.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
What issues are you having with binding your throttle?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Mr. Wookums posted:

I've tried to bind it with the original position in the middle, max and min. As soon as I move the lever, it picks up the axis, but actually has no input on the throttle once I am in my plane. I can only seem to do it with the default "+", "-".

It works in other games.

You're binding your throttle to "Engines control: throttle" right?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

AngrySpork posted:

Am I the only one to have noticed what APPEARS to be an I-16 Ishak sitting in the background of the hangar? Is this some kind of reference to the new IL2 or something?

Yeah, it's been there in the background since they first introduced that main screen in a patch years ago. It was just a nod towards WWII and their interests because I think the team always wanted to get involved in a WWII sim at some point, and then Oleg Maddox's recent IL-2 sucked rear end and they got the license for the Stalingrad game or whatever. So it worked out nicely.

I miss the old menus from when the game was first released, though:

Never liked the show room.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Use BC3/DXT5 as the compression and in Advanced Options use Luminance or Distance for the Color selection

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Nah. The Fokker DR1 is just a tail heavy bitch when it comes to turning.

Each plane has its own quirks and characteristics you'll come to find out.

On the training missions: I haven't touched them since the game was first released, but I remember them being sort of buggy and not that great. A better route might be checking out the 'Fly Now' missions as they give you some freedom to cruise around, take off and land, as well as do ground attacks or dogfights or balloon busts or whatever you want. They are in Missions and each plane you own should have one. That's what I usually do to get my bearings with new planes.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 9, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64MVrioSqlo

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nice video, too bad its only 360p.

Yeah :(

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It's a stupid as hell setup and I hope they make some kind of work around eventually.

Like make it when you buy from the dev site and you select that your platform is Steam it gives you a key or something.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Bondematt posted:

2 of us actually made it...after a few respawns.

That first run really needed to be set to music, I don't think any of us got airborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I am one of those retarded planes.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Major Isoor posted:

So, seeing as there doesn't appear to be an IL-2/IL-2: BoS thread (according to the SA search function, at least), are any of you planning to get it/have any of you gotten it? Since I'm likely going to get it myself (since it's not "Cliffs of Dover 2", is it? It's actually good partly due to being handled by 777, I take it?), but I'm currently weighing up getting the $95 version of it or not. So, is there much (either currently in the game or planned to be) in the way of solo-content? I know there's supposed to be some campaigns, but is there a career mode a la RoF? If so that'd pretty much make it an instant purchase for me. Otherwise, it's a slightly tougher call.

Also, how good is the AI and are we human players actually allowed to fly every plane? Or will there be off-limits "AI only" aircraft like the Zwilling in BoS, as there was in 1946/previous versions?

This is what I managed to pull up from an old thread on the BoS forums laying out what the developers want to do:

Historical single-player campaign will require internet connection. (LOFT)
Covering the time period of the Battle of Stalingrad. (Jason)
Will start with "Operation Uranus" (Soviet counterattack) and will finish with liberation of Stalingrad. (LOFT)
Campaign will be split in 5 main phases of the Battle of Stalingrad. (LOFT).
Phases are unique in regards of disposition of troops, defensive lines, weather conditions, aircraft in theater and squadrons taking part in the action. (LOFT)
New campaign phases will be unlocked by completing mission objectives. (LOFT)
Missions will be generated on the server for the selected campaign phase. (LOFT)
Will be able to change sides before every mission. (LOFT)
Will have to choose (or change) regiment when joining a new campaign phase. (LOFT)
Every regiment has a home base and specific aircraft in service. (LOFT)
Fighter, ground attack or bomber mission types (depending on your aircraft). (LOFT)
Mission types will differ with each campaign phase (e.g. more Luftwaffe supply missions during the aerial bridge period). (LOFT)
Weather is taken into account for each campaign phase. (LOFT)
Will have an optional "quick" mission option (skipping take-offs/landings). (LOFT)

So yeah, it sounds like it will have a similar career mode as RoF.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

I would register and download this version and try it out.

Then just buy whatever interests you through their store.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Always invest in TrackIR.

I don't really like playing online in these games unless it's with goons or close friends or whatever. These games are so niche that you usually have about 80% of people on a server that have been playing and flying the same airplane for years and they just blow you out of the sky again and again.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
http://www.twitch.tv/pixelbaron/c/5091277

Contour flying is the best.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
What were you flying?

Getting pulled to the right is normal. It's just engine torque and you have to counter it using your rudder.

PWCG isn't tied into the career in-game. You run PWCG before you start up RoF and generate a mission and then it will show up in the single missions for whatever aircraft you're assigned.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Hmmm, I have the bin_log_folder parameter in my cfg and everything works fine so it's not that.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The ICE upgrade isn't a bad place to start as you get a handful of the most iconic/popular aircraft. From there if you still need more planes start buying whatever looks interesting in the store.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I operate it. I'll be home from work in about an hour and I'll make sure to reset you.

Edit: Should be good to go.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 5, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
5 has a larger field of view for tracking and is generally smoother than the 4, but if price is an issue the 4 is just fine.

Regardless, TrackIR is definitely worth investing in.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Splode posted:

Ahh, interesting. Is there no way to stop that final right turn then? The control surfaces don't do much when you're that slow.

When you land don't cut your engine immediately. As you start to slow down and feel your plane pull to the right you should throttle up your engine briefly and apply rudder to straighten out, then lower your throttle back down and coast until you stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Yeah, the Vintage Aviator owns.

Peter Jackson owns it as he's a big WWI/WWII aviation buff.

• Locked thread