Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

"I hope that none of you gentlemen is so foolish as to think that aeroplanes will be usefully employed for reconnaissance purposes in war." - General Douglass Haig, Commander of the British Expeditionary Force, addressing his officers, July 1914.

What is Rise of Flight

Rise of Flight is a combat flight simulator focused on the dawn of air combat in the skies above the trenches of World War I. First released in 2009 by Russian studio Neoqb and their publisher 777 studios, today the game is developed directly by 777 studios, who purchased Neoqb in 2010. Its a really cool and somewhat challenging game and I've been enjoying it quite a bit lately and some other goons have been getting into it as well, hence I felt a thread might be cool (so we stop bugging the War Thunder thread about biplanes that aren't the Chaika).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0g2_IsXzw

Do I need a joystick?

Yes, you need a joystick. This is, for better or worse, a serious flight sim and lacks anything like War Thunder's mouse controls. You could use a keyboard to fly like its Wing Commander and 1990 again, but I really doubt you would enjoy it. [edit] A couple people have been experimenting with 360 gamepads, and achieving some measure of success, though apparently it is quite difficult. You could try this, but I would still personally say a joystick is almost mandatory.

So where can I get it?

The easiest two ways to obtain Rise of Flight is from Steam :steam: or from the Rise of Flight Website.

What is with all this DLC stuff?!

That is the downside to Rise of Flight, 777 Studios are big fans of microtransactions and well, RoF divied up piecemeal. Not only can you buy planes individually, but you can even buy modifications for them, like extra guns and flight instruments. It is a bit silly, but really it isn't as bad as it sounds. You can easily live without any of the field/weapon mods or silly colored scarves or a sidearm or an extra machinegun.

A free/demo version of Rise of Flight is freely downloadable on the Rise of Flight Website. It allows you to fly two aircraft, the French Spad 13 and the German Albatros D.Va on the Western Front map without paying a cent. You can play multiplayer with these, fly a career, or just goof around with them, so if you're on the fence give it a try.

As for actually buying the game, there are two standard ways I'd recommend to buy into the game. First off the cheaper route is to pick up the Iron Cross Edition upgrade at the RoF website. This comes with 9 Scouts (Fighters) mostly focused on 1917 through 1918 and the Western Front map (Central France). You could easily play dozens/hundreds of hours with just this as those aircraft are more than enough to get by, in fact, if you don't mind flying for the French, you could pretty much play a career from 1916 to the end of the war via the planes available.

However, if you want to go through steam, you can buy the Channel Battles Edition, which costs $50 normally and comes with everything in the Iron Cross edition and also comes with the English Channel map (which also features Belgium) as well as the Felixstowe Seaplane (a large multi-crew patrol aircraft). If you have the patience to wait for a steam sale (and its gone on sale several times since its September debut on Steam) this is how I'd recommend to get into the game, personally.

:steam: vs RoF Store

:siren: IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE STEAM VERSION IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH PURCHASES MADE ON THE RISE OF FLIGHT STORE. :siren:
The two different versions can play together in multiplayer just fine. However, for poorly explained "database" reasons, you can't buy the Channel Battles Edition on steam, activate it to your new Rise of Flight Account, and then go buy a single aircraft via the Rise of Flight Store. If you have the steam version you're stuck having to buy the steam DLC packs.

The benefit of the Steam version is the usual aggressive sales you'll see on steam, I pretty much bought everything when it hit a 75% off flash sale during the winter event. The downside is that you can't quite pick and choose what you want as finely as the RoF store, in addition there are currently two aircraft not available via the steam version since there is no DLC pack associated with them, steam users will likely have to wait until 777 studios puts out enough aircraft to create another DLC pack.

The benefit of the RoF store version is having the freedom to pick and choose what you want as you wish. The downside is that they have sales less frequently, and they usually don't put everything on sale.

Ok, enough about buying the game, tell me more about the game itself! What biplanes are in the game?

I wrote up a big effort post containing short profiles of all the planes in the game in this post.

What gameplay modes are available?

The campaigns (there are several) area a series of predefined scenarios with a loose storyline. There is a "Fly Now" mode where you pick a plane and then dumped in a map where there are various areas where you can fly to practice dogfighting, attacking ground targets, attacking balloons, or you can just fly around and get a feel for the aircraft. In addition there is a quick skirmish mode, where you select a map, mission, type and number of friendly and enemy aircraft (both can be set to random) and then launch into the mission, immediately being thrust into the thick of things.

Didn't you mention a Career mode earlier?

Career mode (technically still a beta, but ignore that) is perhaps the meat of the singleplayer experience in Rise of Flight. In career mode you pick a nation and service to play with, pick a date, pick a squadron, and then you fight in the skies above the trenches one day at a time. Career mode is a series of dynamically generated missions.

HOWEVER most RoF Goons have now converted over to Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator, an awesome 3rd party career mode generator. It has proven to be more awesome, with a livelier front-line, greater mission variety, and lots of neat features the standard career mode doesn't have. Its easy to use too. You simply run PWCG, start/select a career, generate a mission, and then switch over to RoF to play it. While you play RoF spits out a log, once you're done flying you alt-tab back over and submit a combat report (where you have to actually claim your kills!) and PWCG reads the logs and interprets the results.

PWCG generally has more aircraft out there doing their own things (and this is adjustable via settings if your computer is slow) and also tracks famous aces and makes them real world entities. You can fly along side Eddie Rickenbacker or René Fonck in the French air crops... or poo poo yourself in terror as you see Manfred von Richtofen's blood-red Fokker tri-plane poised to dive on you from above. It also has a lot of configurable options (though they can be safely ignored) such as setting how likely you are to receive certain missions, how likely weather is to be poor, and even how badly hurt you can be (just hurt for a few weeks? Wounded for months? or Dead is Dead?). You can even play a career as an Observer (a two-seater gunner) and even that can be surprisingly exciting.

What I'm trying to say is USE PAT WILSONS! IT IS AWESOME

What about Multiplayer?

I haven't actually given multiplayer a try yet, personally. However I know there is a reasonably active online community of pilots on a variety of servers. One of the reasons this thread was started was growing interest among goons in doing some stuff aeroplanes together similar to the IL-2 or Arma Goons. I'll fill this section in more when I actually try multiplayer. :shobon:

However, one thing I do know is that it is possible to play as the observer/gunner of another player!

Ok, enough about this, how about some more pretty pictures?

Useful Extras:

Official Rise of Flight Forums
Official Skin Pack
Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator
PWCG Instructions
Pat Wilson Skin Packs (Sorted by plane, used in his campaign generator, as are the official skins!)
List of RoF Goons and their timezones

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Help, I how do I fly this thing? I pull on the stick and the whole plane just goes into a spin or stalls. I go into a dive and my engine spews oil all over my face and breaks or my wings tear off. Where are my flaps and trim? Where is the altimeter?! Why does my Fokker Eindecker have no throttle or ailerons?! :gonk:

These aircraft are pretty primitive even by the standards you might be used to via IL-2 and WW2 planes in general. The cannot climb or dive nearly as aggressively as a WW2 fighter can. Their engines are not exceptionally powerful, the aircraft are often quite finicky, and early on a single mistake can kill you. However you do get used to things pretty quickly. For beginners I wouldn't recommend jumping into the cockpit of a Sopwith Camel of Fokker Dr.I Triplane (both infamous as very tricky aircraft). I would recommend a more forgiving aircraft like the German Albatros D.Va (one of the free/demo planes btw) or the British S.E.5a. Also, if you don't feel comfortable without such luxuries as an altimeter and an airspeed indicator, you might want to stick with Allied aircraft, most German aircraft are spartan and rarely have many instruments beyond a tachometer as standard.

If you're experiencing your engine seemingly self-destructing during dives, the cause is almost certainly that you're over-revving the engine and breaking it, reduce throttle when diving. If your wings are coming off... well don't dive that fast and/or don't pull out of a dive that hard, take it gentle! If you're losing control of the plane when you try to turn, do the same, take it easy with the stick and don't just slam it into the turn/roll.

Ok, I can kinda fly now, but I can't seem to hit poo poo with my guns!

Get closer. :mad:

No, I said get closer.:argh:

CLOSER. :tizzy:

Good, now you can shoot. Aim for the heart the aircraft! That is the engine, the pilot, and the center/roots of the wings. Don't bother putting bullets into his tail or the outter part of his wings if you can help it. Sure you might do some damage, but for the most part those areas are just empty canvas covered frame. The most reliable way to down an enemy is to take out the engine or kill the pilot (I believe 4 bullets will kill a pilot/gunner in RoF).

When firing use short, controlled bursts. Your guns will rapidly lose accuracy due to vibration and recoil. That said, if you get a great point blank shot, don't be afraid to hold that trigger down! Most jams are caused by poor quality ammunition, how long the gun has been firing is only a secondary contributor.

I don't have Headtracking, how can I look around and find my doom the enemy? Why isn't my gunsight properly lined up?

First off, hopefully you have a joystick with a hat. This should be bound to look around, by pressing F9 you can cycle through several different modes that effect the behavior of the view hat, experiment! The mouse can also be used for free-look and its what I prefer to use when I'm not in a fight, where it proves too awkward. In addition F8 is padlock view, this will lock onto a nearby enemy and the camera will track them, press F8 to cycle through enemy aircraft (And balloons) and Shift+F8 to cycle through friendlies, Press F1 to return to normal cockpit view. The numpad can also be used for snap views.

Next up, in addition to looking around with the hat or mouse, you can actually shift the camera (your head) itself around inside the cockpit with the Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUP/PgDn keys. This can be really useful for peering over the edge of your cockpit to the ground below or leaning to one side so you can see past the nose when landing. It can also be useful for aligning your view with your gunsight like so:

Default view

Aiming down my sights (Slightly out of alignment)

If you feel like changing your default view position, this can be done by manipulating the camera and then pressing F10. If you want to edit a snap view, this can be done by pressing that key on the numpad, holding it, adjusting the camera, and then pressing F10 (keep holding the numpad button down, awkward!). If you accidentally mess up the default view and your attempts at recentering the camera bring out your inner :spergin:, you can go into the [install location]/Rise of Flight 2.0/data/LuaScripts/snapviews folder and delete the .scv file that matches the plane you screwed up, this will generate a new default file and restore your original camera positions.

You may want to consider rebinding some of these commands. For example, I have the zoom in/out and return to default view button bound onto my joystick and I've rebound the head repositioning keys for left/right, up/down to the arrow keys on the keyboard.

What is with the telescopes?

Those "telescopes" you might see in some screenshots or as an field-mod option on many aircraft are the British Aldis (or French Le-Chretien) Collimated Gunsight. Now if you want to know what a collimator is, please reference wikipedia, so I don't make this post any more longwinded. All you need to know is that you can treat it like a WW1 red-dot sight. Just put the ring over the enemy and fire! Your exact head position doesn't matter. In real life this thing was usually much easier to use than a bead-and-ring iron-sight and many pilots highly prized them (captured/trophy Aldis sights were quite valued by German pilots), however others didn't like it and would remove it on the couple planes it came standard on (such as the S.E.5a). Also, despite their appearance and fancy mirrors and lenses, the Aldis has little to no magnification. There is also German Oigee Reflector gunsights that works the same way in application, put crosshair/dot over enemy and fire.

And finally, remember the German Pilot's motto; I will be like Bolecke, and follow these rules!
    Dicta Boelcke

* Try to secure advantages before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you.
    * Always carry through an attack when you have started it.
    * Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.
    * Always keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses.
    * In any form of attack it is essential to assail your opponent from behind.
    * If your opponent dives on you, do not try to evade his onslaught, but fly to meet it.
    * When over the enemy's lines never forget your own line of retreat.
    * For the Staffel: attack on principle in groups of four or six. When the fight breaks up into a series of single combats, take care that several do not go for one opponent.

— Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke, 1916. Germany's first ace, died in 1916 with 40 victories.

And remember, never give up!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I believe that, yes, players can be observer for aircraft they do not personally own.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ess posted:

I bought this game on the cheap but I have yet to play it because I don't have a working stick.

Is this game playable with a keyboard / mouse, or should I just pick up a cheap stick?

I would greatly recommend a stick. Theoretically its keyboard flyable, but I doubt it would be enjoyable at all.

While making the OP, I learned that the next plane they're going to put into Rise of Flight is the Hanriot HD.1 :swoon:

Not only is it, IMO, the most beautiful Scout of WW1, but its also the plane used by my favorite WW1 ace, Balloon Busting Belgian Willy Coppens.

The Hanriot HD.1 was a French design from mid 1916 that was intended to replace the Nieuport 17, however the Spad 7 had just reached front lines and it was faster than the Hanriot, so the French considered the Hanriot unnecessary and canceled almost all of their production order. The Italians and Belgians were eager for aircraft however and not only placed orders, but licensed it for local production. Many Belgian aces were quite fond of the Hanriot (with Coppens being an early advocate for it). It wasn't really all that fast, but it was very agile and easy to fly.

While the French air corps didn't want it, the French Navy did use the HD.2 version with float equipment, and apparently this will be in RoF at least as a variant of the HD.1. :haw:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I have two questions, would the overwing lewis guns really fire automatically when you pull the trigger or would you have to take a hand of the controls to use them? And would you really get oil in your face if you kill the engine due to overevving or is that the devs loving the oil spray effect?

The Lewis gun would operate from the pilot stick button (or trigger or whatever), yes. You wouldn't need to reach up to grab the actual pistol grip. A wire running from the stick/yoke to the gun works just as well. The pistol grip is still there so it can be operated manually if need be due to a malfunction or if you want to get clever with the foster mount some planes use.

As for the oil spatter, I have no idea. I'm thinking of uninstalling one of the mods I have that changes the spatter effect, because this feels like its too much:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Artless Meat posted:

They can totally shoot out your tail too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHZZwuybiY&t=49s

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're probably supposed to be Bf-109s, but they're actually a Pilatus P-2.

Also, the Jones Father&Son are flying in a Stampe SV.4

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did you just volunteer to try out Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator for us? I think you did. :getin:

PWCG Instructions

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shine posted:

Are the campaigns and poo poo co-opable? I haven't messed with any co-op options yet.

I find it best to pause the TrackIR, move the view with the keyboard (using the pilot head controls, not the camera controls!), press F10, and then unpause TrackIR. Now it'll be perfectly aligned.

The pre-set story campaigns no, I believe, nor the official career mode. I think I remember reading of a way to tinker with a mission file the PWCG makes to use it multiplayer, but I doubt you'd be able to do a career continuity with it.

I'll look into it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Major Isoor posted:

Although unless I missed it, there's nothing covering camera controls, which from what I've seen

Added a section explaining some basic camera stuff, also an explanation of the Aldis Collimator and Le-Chretien collimated gunsights, and Oigee Reflector gunsight.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

OwlFancier posted:

Can you throw bricks at other planes?

No, but you can shoot pistols and flareguns at them. See the gif at the bottom of the second post. I'll admit more than a few times I've run out of ammo and ended up chasing a half-dead airplane, trying to get close enough to have a prayer of hitting with my pistol.

The pistols are, however, unfortunately a separate purchase via the RoF store, or available via the Ace Pack on steam (which comes with pistols, coloured scarves, a variety of flight lead streamers, and the field/weapon mods for the channel battles pack planes, all the sundries you need to feel like a proper ace). Flare guns are standard however (CTRL-1-4 for a variety of exciting colors!) so knock yourself out.

[edit] Bonus bit about the Aldis and Le-Chretien from a US Army Ordnance document from late 1918:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bondematt posted:

So does this game simulate having the shits basically all the time from the caster oil and total loss oil systems?

What do you mean by "total loss oil systems"? It is quite possible to take a hit that causes a slow, progressive oil leak that'll eventually cause the engine to seize(and throttle amount effects how long until the oil bleeds out). Instead of just dying outright and filling your face with oil, the engine keeps functioning (Sounding worse and worse) and occasionally spewing smaller amounts of oil in your face. If that happens, consider using what engine life you have left to break away from a fight and find a place to land. The time I lost my engine low over enemy trenches and had to decide between risking capture and seeing if I had enough altitude to cross the flooded no man's land was not fun. Especially when I stalled and crashed trying to avoid some dead trees in my landing path.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh I see, I'm afraid I don't know if that is modeled. Rotary engines are a strange and freaky piece of wizardry to me. I've put in a few career sorties and some Fly Now time in the Camel though, and one thing I've noticed is its really easy to over-rev and break the Camel's engine. The Tachometer goes up to 2600 RPM, yet I've busted it going 1900ish RPM in a moderate dive.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually I think it does, but that might just be placebo or whatever. What would be nice is a "wipe your goggles with your gloves/scarf button", cause seriously, I have hands!

[edit] Going back to the first page to a post I forgot to respond to...

Leo Showers posted:

This is the best plane in the game

Nothing beats going on a :frogsiren:Sea Patrol:frogsiren: in the mega-comfy cockpit of the Brandenburg W12 and looking for ships/shooting down Felixstowes. I'm also really loving the Roland.

Yeah, I was considering a transfer to a Brandenburg squadron in my German career, but since the Felixstowe hasn't entered service yet in Jan 1918 to serve as my nemesis, I decided to transfer to a Schusta flying the Halberstradt CL.II two-seater instead. Despite being a two-seater it apparently is far more often used as an escort fighter or ground attack plane than a recon/spotter aircraft. I haven't done any escorts yet, but I've done several ground attack sorties and its good fun.

Maybe I'll have to see about getting a goon to fly gunner for me some time. Orbiting a ground target and having the gunner unload with his LMG 14/17 is decently effective.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Have you been flying career? What kind of missions does it get? I've never done artillery spotting, so I'm a bit curious what it is like.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Megadyptes posted:

Never done spotting but I've seen a few videos about it.

Yeah, this guy has some nice videos. I've been watching quite a few and I look forward to trying to put some of the lessons into practice.

Of course, some are just funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXFv0MkOD4

Shine posted:

I think I would be down to do this basically all the time. Anybody who plays this, add me on Steam (ShineSA) and I'm down to fly around.

Only bad part about multiplayer is I'll have to disable the few mods I'm using. Though the only two that aren't really cosmetic are modifying the rate of fire of some of the machienguns (reducing them) and removing ambient flak from no man's land. The only one I'll miss is the ambient flak removal. They wouldn't just shoot at nothing and with it removed, I know that if I see flak puffs, there is something over there.

Speaking of flak, a mild tip: German Flak is dark blackish while Allied Flak is dark greyish. If you can get used to telling them apart, you can get an idea of who is shooting at what when you see flak puffs in the distance.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, the damage model seems great. Fortunately I've yet to have to deal with a plane with badly damaged wings, though once I suffered a collision with a flight mate during high-time acceleration that left me with a jammed elevator. The elevator was applying constant upward puitch, so trying to bring that down from 1+km up was an adventure, and didn't end well. Though 4 days in hospital was getting off easy, I suspect.

Here is a video from that guy where he accidentally tears off his Dr.I Triplane's top wings and is forced to struggle to survive the opponent he almost had at his mercy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIudI8wPhGY

Dr.⅔ :allears:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 6, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its not an A-10, but drat ground attack in the Halberstadt CL.II is fun.

I probably should've used a bomb on the machinegun dugout right away instead of killing the guy with my spanadu though. Took some hits, currently flying home with a somewhat rough sounding engine. My tally is 1 MG, two trucks and three howitzers.

[edit] Oh one of my two flight mates was downed and killed during the attack and I didn't even realize. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 6, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sometimes Archie gets lucky. :v:

[edit] Oh poo poo, it was the Hauptmann who went down!

:rip:

[edit2] Hah, since I hadn't touched my German career since early last week, I totally forgot what a sorry state the Schusta is in. We're down to 3 pilots fit for duty (and one only just came back the day after the Hauptmann died) and 3 aircraft in good shape, with two pilots wounded and two planes under repair for another day.

Career mode owns, go play some everyone.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 6, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The day after the Hauptmann dies, its another ground attack sortie in the trenches. After taking a nasty hit while strafing an MG emplacement in no man's land I was badly hurt and the gunner was worse off, the plane was in poor shape too. I could barely get above 1000rpm without the engine sounding really bad. I ended up nursing my crippled halberstadt back to friendly lines. I made for the closest aerodrome, telling my buddy to hang on, we're almost there, almost there! We're almost to Zande, Hans, we're gonna get you some help... You're gonna be ok!

And then since injured pilots have trouble with the controls (they wobble and/or feel overly stiff) I biff the landing, Hans was killed in the crash. :cry:

War is tragedy. :smith:

MohawkSatan posted:

Since I'm joystickless at this time, does anyone know if this will work with a gamepad?

Its Doable, but I dunno how successful you'd be.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 6, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't know Sankis, maybe check the official forums?

Leo Showers posted:

You can be an observer or a gunner, in single player you can just put the plane on autopilot and jack off.

Major Isoor posted:

You can also be the gunner in singleplayer, unless they patched that out. I tried it out a little while ago in my career, and sure enough it just whacked the plane into autopilot and I was able to take up the gunner's position. (I was flying the Brandenburg W12 if that makes a difference somehow)

Indeed! In fact, I have decided to dabble in Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator. To that end, I have just started a new PWCG career in August, 1917 as 2nd Leftenant Lambert Bell, an American Volunteer and Observer with Squadron No. 20 in the Royal Flying Corps, who fly the Bristol F2B F3.

PWCG actually keeps track of observers and their own stats. Also, as an American Volunteer, if I survive long enough for America to enter the war, I'll have the opportunity to transfer over to the American service, or I can choose to stay in the RFC. Here is No.20Sqn's Observer roster:

Not particularly successful they seem. Anyways, my first mission certainly seems like it'll be interesting. We're flying behind enemy lines and dropping off a spy!

I only have one question... where does the spy sit?!

I might scrub this mission simply on the assumption that he is supposed to take my seat. Either way, I'll fly (gunner?) this tomorrow, I need sleep before work tomorrow. Oh and by the way, PWCG has an option to turn a mission it generates into a Multiplayer scenario, though I doubt it'll process the log for career purposes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Still my baby, after all these years.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't have the force feedback model, that one is more rounded and bulgy at the base:

I wish I did. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What model is that? I've never seen that one before.

Go hunting at goodwills and stuff, I've heard of people finding joysticks in good shape for stupidly cheap. I've never been that lucky, but I did get a perfectly fine wireless MS Lasermouse 5000 for $3 a couple months back. It was missing the wireless receiver... good thing my previous mouse was the exact same model.

Anyways, to keep things somewhat on topic. Artless proposed a Gotha race for if we ever manage to do a large multiplayer session. The idea of seeing who can take off, fly a few kilometers out to some point, fly back and land first sounds hilarious. I've yet to successfully land a Gotha in about a half-dozen attempts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've gotten so used to accounting for the torque and stuff I don't even think about it anymore.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maybe we should do a low altitude race (in better airplanes) where the course is lined with flak guns and machinegun nests. :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGFkYOXP7s

Oh and balloons to serve as obstacles/bonus points.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Leo Showers posted:

Make sure your guns are cocked aswell, I usually only do it as I enter combat as they jam over time.

Yeah, you have to charge your weapons before you can fire them. Push R to cock them. This is also how you clear jams and reload lewis guns and other magazine-fed weapons.

Its really embarrassing to reach a fight, sight a target, pull the trigger and... nothing. Whoops, forgot to cock! :shobon:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Artless Meat posted:

So the Indie Gala is doing "Happy Hour" right now. If you buy it again (I guess?) and check "Gift" you'll get 4 extra keys as gifts for $7.
That sounds drat crazy. :psyduck:

Shine posted:

Just did a test flight of the Gotha race map and we are all going to loving die.
After you left, Artless and I dicked around with Felixstowes, including me using him for Davis Gun target practice:

Its too bad the Felixstowe's damage model doesn't include structural damage to the fuselage, in reality that probably would've cracked him in half, at the least. However, to his credit, he nailed me with that second flare.

You can see the ricochet in its trail in the second screenshot

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 7, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

River Raid posted:

SO I picked this up yesterday and I really have to say I like it.

It maps out well to my new X55, the flight model is pretty realistic (too realistic sometimes, loving engine torque on nose down has made me go in to flat spins at full throttle) and the dog fighting is pretty intense at times. This game is literally the opposite of War Thunder, nothing feels half-assed or randomly biased, the handling is great and poo poo just feels polished.

Just wish they'd put more planes on Steam, I wanna try a campaign as a scout bomber and none of them seem to be on Steam. But it was late when I looked so maybe I just didn't see them. Either way, great thread and thanks for pointing out the game and the indie deal for it

There are only two (soonish to be three) planes currently in the game that are unavailable via Steam. Unfortunately, one of the two is the Sopwith Strutter. Assuming by "Scout bomber" you mean a single-seat fighter/bomber, it kind of fits your description since it comes in two flavors, the two-seater Strutter and the Strutter B, which converts the observer seat into a bomb-bay.

That said, a few of the two-seaters are frequently used for offensive roles as opposed to just recon/spotting. The Halberstadt CL is actually far more a ground-attack aircraft and long-range escort fighter than a reconnaissance two-seater. Most of my sorties have been ground attack with a handful of medium-altitude (ineffective) level bombing thrown in.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 7, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MohawkSatan has been experimenting with a 360 pad himself, but the results don't sound so great.

MohawkSatan posted:

Well, I've gotten xbox 360 controller to work pretty well for flying. It's touchy, but it works. I've been manually setting trim by loving with the response tab too, so that certain planes don't try pulling up constantly.

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm starting to think a stick might be more needed than I originally thought. Soon as something is interfering with a planes handling, flying becomes difficult, let alone aiming. Aiming turns into a special kind of hell as you bob as weave all over the place.

The Orange Mage posted:

Change the thread title to "Rise of Flight - YOU NEED A JOYSTICK" because people can't read OPs anymore.

Also, if we need a clantag we can always use [RoF] RENEgades of FONCK

[LLJK] Lazy Looping Joyride Kites.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 7, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Leo Showers posted:

I was flying around in my Albatros D.Va and ran into a flight of Sopwith Pups. I never realised they can do some amazing flips and can basically fishtail in a turn to keep their guns on a target.

:negative:
Sopwith Pups are basically an earlier version of the Camel and are every bit as agile and dangerous as their successor. In fact, from glancing at the official forums, they're apparently quite popular for multiplayer even against the later war aircraft. Apparently a skilled human pilot can do some pretty crazy moves with the Pup and Camel by taking advantage of how easy to force into a spin/stall it is. They can perform a very reliable and recoverable snap roll too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shine posted:

I tried to fly the Fokker Tri Whatever, and I'm convinced that it's impossible and the Red Baron actually flew a time-traveling Chaika.

Let me guess, goes nose crazy every time you try to turn? You need to use lots of rudder when flying the Dr.I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gniHY-IGxJ4

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I love SPA48's rooster. They've got a skin for several planes too, thought one or two might be part of Pat Wilson's skins.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you were playing PWCG he'd even be an actual member of the squadron. The official skin pack does have some skins for him. Though I suspect that even with Ace AI, it'd lead to an early death for him.

Also, everyone reporting trouble setting up the game and their joysticks is really odd to me. While I have rebound a few buttons, for the most part I was able to plug in my Sidewinder and it was ready to go. Then again, I haven't played with the curves for cheat mode* artificial trim or anything complex.

*I'm not taking a serious dig at anyone here

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I just gave PWCG a shake as an observer. Initial Observations:

* It really does increase the amount of flak, but it doesn't seem nearly as accurate.
* Being the observer of a solo two-seater and getting jumped by two Albatros is terrifying
* Also its fatal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That one guy has a good video showing it off with a Dr.I. The rudder's effect on flight, I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmcE0Xd777I

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, flying in heavy wind sucks. Its hard to tell in this screenshot, but I'm flying in the direction of the bottom center of the straight "down" from my plane.

I'm pointed about 15 degrees off my actual direction of travel I'd estimate.

[edit] Do you know whats worse than flying in high winds? Fighting in it! Do you know whats worse than THAT?

Making an emergency landing in it after losing your engine because you accidentally smacked into an Albatros. Still, I only lost my propeller, he lost a wing, a decent trade for me. Sadly I crashed more than I landed. Two months in the hospital for me! On the bright side, they accepted my claim for a kill for the Albatros. :haw:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shine posted:

Thanks for the rudder tips. I'll mess with it more over the weekend.

The SE5A is hella easy to fly and I really like it. The gunsight is kind of awkward, though, being way off to the left like that. Am I missing something or do you really need to lean over and get air blasting in your face to use it?

This is one plane where the concept of field mods bothers me a bit. The Aldis gunsight is a field mod you have to get the proper SE5a DLC for to use. However, they were built factory stock with Aldis sights in real life. You can even see the mounting ring if you're not using it! Granted some pilots didn't like the Aldis and removed it, but I really feel like it should've had it stock without needing a mod (hell make removing it and fixing up an ironsight in the mounting ring a field mod instead).

Then again, I really like my Aldis sight.

And yeah, the SE5a seems pretty nice so far, I've never given it much more than a quick fly now before, but even after one flight (in heavy winds) I can see why the RFC nicknamed it "Ace Maker".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd say its comparable to IL2. The planes are both simpler and trickier in the sense that there are far less buttons to push or systems to manage, but that also means no useful things like trim controls (though you can create an artificial trim by messing with joystick curves). The planes are relatively easy to fly once you get used to strange quirks, but can also be tricky to mange in a fight. For example, despite being considered a stable, easy to fly aircraft, I still managed to put myself into a spin by throwing the stick too hard into a turn, luckily the aircraft automatically pulled out of the spin basically the second I let go of the joystick.

If you're interested in serious flight sims, you can't go wrong with picking up the bundle, even if you don't like it, you're only out $6. Plus right now, for the next four hours they're doing some weird happy hour thing:

Basically if you buy it right now, you (a new customer to the bundle) will actually get two copies.. I think? People who bought it previously can buy it again for up to 4 copies for the price of one. :psyduck:

Anyways, as for beginner planes, I'd recommend the Albatros D.Va for the Central Powers (Germany), and the SE5a for the Entente. They're both pretty forgiving planes. The SE5a also has the advantage of being one of the best planes of the war. The Albatros D.Va is also one of the two planes you get free in the demo/free2play version, so you can try that if you're still on the fence.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

dpidz0r posted:

Is anyone playing this with an X52? I fired up a quick mission with pretty much everything on defaults and found out that I can't see anything out the front of my plane (tiny windscreen with a bunch of crap in front of it + giant wing in the way), it jumps all over the place and is drat near impossible to aim, and my aircraft likes to flip over and go into a death spiral if I try to track a target behind me while doing a gentle bank. I don't have this problem with DCS or IL2, so I'm not sure how much is the aircraft and how much is my input curves being screwy.

As for the view, what aircraft are you flying, some have pretty limited views. Aircraft might also contribute to control difficulty. You could try searching the official forum for some X52 profiles.

BillyJoeBob posted:

Uhh :saddowns: How do I get PWCG? I guess the site's busted or something because I can't seem to find any downloads for 15.8.1. I'd like to check it out but when I click this, http://www.pwcampaigngenerator.com/WebSite/PWCG.html , I get a 404.

Uhm, that is new, it was operating just fine last night or the night before. Hold on.

• Locked thread