Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I love this game and yet I'm also very bad at it. earlier on I did shoot down three dudes with my mad skills luck. Also this is the only sim that I've seen aldis type gun sights done really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The Aldis is much desired and the Chretien not much desired by pilots. Suck it Frenchies :britain:

I'd also be interested in a more UK/Euro friendly timezone for a game or two.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

An awesome little touch of realism in this game is when you stick your head out from behind the front windscreen, like with TrackIR leaning to the sides or using the manual keyboard headshifting commands you'll hear the wind blasting in your face even louder. Wish it would help get the loving oil from your goggles though. :argh:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Never done spotting but I've seen a few videos about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUCa72jEMw

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The throttle on my X45 is working fine for me so I suspect hardware problems. Haven't had any issues with controls remapping themselves either. :shrug:

e; could be that you have buttons bound to multiple commands, like by default it does bind some controls to some of the more common buttons. Look for a little notepad thing in the corner of the actual button binding in the controls table, if you hover your mouse over it it'll tell you what it's conflicting with.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I just use a standard s-curve thingy for everything and wrestle with the stick like a pro. immersion, bitches.

also I'm very bad at everything.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Tried flying the Gotha for the first time today, crashed shortly after takeoff. on a related note I love the bombsights

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

DFW C.V is a smaller two seater recon plane that can also dogfight to some degree and carry bombs. It's in the legendary bombers dlc

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

should come with the reflector thingy that you put on the peak of a hat.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

you can adjust the fov to see more, by default it's the plus and minus keys on the numpad.

e; also some planes do have basic trim, according to the manual

Stabilizer trim: on certain aircraft, the pitch of the horizontal stabilizer can be adjusted,
which affects how much elevator input is needed to keep the aircraft in level flight.
Stabilizer trim will either make your plane pitch downwards (“nose heavy”) or pitch
upwards (“tail heavy”). The following aircraft are currently fitted with stabilizer trim
controls: Airco D.H.4, Bristol F.2B, R.A.F. R.E.8, R.A.F. S.E.5a, and the Sopwith Triplane.
To adjust your aircraft’s stabilizer trim, press the Right Ctrl + Up Arrow key combination
to make your aircraft more nose heavy, and press the Right Ctrl + Down Arrow key
combination to make the aircraft more tail heavy. You can also control the amount of
stabilizer trim with the Plane control: stabilizer axis assignment.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

same poo poo.
there's controls to move your head back and forward too, insert and home. Pros use trackir though.

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 8, 2014

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Kommander privilege :smug:

disappointed that I missed the Gotha race, can I get an invite to the Steam group? http://steamcommunity.com/id/megadyptes cheers.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

until the enemy troops calmly walked into the fire.

now that's some real immersion right there.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

ShineDog posted:

Anyone played Wings over Flanders fields? I've heard the flight mechanics aren't a patch on ROF, but the campaign is a minor miracle.
Yup, it's pretty neat. Graphics nowhere near as good as rof and the flight models are a lot more forgiving but it does a better job of actually making you feel like you're in a huge war. Good review at rps http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/20/wot-i-think-wings-over-flanders-fields/ probably not worth the asking price unless you're a nut for WW1 aviation and old school style flight sim gaming though.

I hate twist sticks, I remember having an old non FF MS Sidewinder with one and I'd always gently caress poo poo up, then I got an x34 and then a x45 and the rocker rudder thingy on the back of the throttle just feels so much better, dunno why saitek switched to the twist stick in the x52 and up. gently caress that poo poo.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Galaga you linked the official skinpack in the OP but there's also the community historical skin packs that add a poo poo ton of historical skins for various squadrons and aces and they are approved by 777 so are all pretty decent. my skins folder is now over 13 gigs :toot:

the download links from the 'useful materials' page can be pretty slow though but here's a thread with them rehosted for speedier downloads http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=38888&p=563973&hilit=+provide+a+mirror only those bad autistic enough need apply. also there's a tool to convert the preview .jpgs to .dds files (they switched the file format of the previews a few patches ago), all packs before the 10th one require converting, so just download the tool and run it and there you go.

also for those using pwcg there's a poo poo ton of extra skins for use in the extra squadrons that it uses in this thread a few posts down
http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=394&t=40383

the community fictional packs are just personal skins used by players in MP, the game doesn't automatically download skins so people submit files to 777 and they throw them up in those packs so everyone can see the skins, so no need to bother with them really.

and speaking of skins here's a dude that painted his plane all red before it was cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Navarre

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 11, 2014

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the last indiegala extra unlocked and it's some fighting/beat em up game :effort: oh well can't complain, still got a bunch of decent flying stuff.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

landing in a rotary is hard :saddowns:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

dumb question but you binding it to the correct thing? there's the regular throttle and a separate altitude throttle (basically a mixture for a couple of planes with a certain engine for high altitude use)

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

yeah I just leave mine at 150 too then get up nice and close :getin:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Experimenting with custom skins. I'm uhmm, having mixed success:

Its not supposed to be nearly that light and oversaturated.

uncheck 'alpha channel' when saving as dds, you can also use the plane viewer in the bin_viewer folder to check out what your skins look like without having to load the game up, it's a lot quicker.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Azran posted:

Also, interesting to see there are no Russian planes in the game. Did they have no designs of their own?
also Italian and Austro-Hungarian planes but the game is focused on the western front, hopefully we'll see more one day, even if they are loving terrible.

paying for extra instruments and weapons mods is loving bullshit, I mean look at this: http://riseofflight.com/en/store/weaponmods/Sopwith_Camel 1.5 bux for a loving cutout is ridiculous. also the SE5a came with an aldis gunsight as standard yet you have to pay for that 'field mod' in rof.

re. gunsight talk: in Wings Over Flanders Fields you can fly a bristol scout, a pretty early plane and the lewis gun is positioned on the left of the cockpit pointing out at an angle.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

2nd place gotha master :smugdog: also I have no idea why I was just turning around in circles for a while on the field, was weird. guess I could've throttled back and tried to regain control that way but nah. full throttle baby

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I got some extra keys from buying a gift during the happy hour thing, I'll email the gifts to people that want them.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the in game beta career lasts for as long as you can survive or until the end of the war. PWCG is pretty neat, very customisable for one thing and it generates a lot more flights going around doing their thing and more unexpected poo poo happening during your flight, a poo poo ton of extra skins can be used in PWCG and used by the AI too, pilot AI can vary from crack shots to novice shitlords that run at the first sign of danger, historical aces actually in the game, latest patch adds support for some infantry mod so you can see soldiers during battles and a bunch more cool poo poo. plus it can run in offline mode when the 777 servers go down for whatever reason (this can happen quite a lot) basically the dude is a big fan of red baron 3d and wanted to make the campaign more like the one in that game.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

http://www.rofmods.com/en/Soldiers_2/

you can't shoot them up, though :( in the download there's a sample mission showing off the animated troops. there's dude's marching around your aerodrome and some static ground crew models prepping a plane, pretty neat. wish some dude would spin your prop in game.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

.co.uk supremecy!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Remember to throttle back when diving as you can over-rev the engine and damage it

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

to get a flare gun out it's left control 1 to 4, then left control tilde to put it away.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

sperg game apologists are the worst, see also wargame fans who defend Matrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

well it is historical for WW1 dogfights to end up in a big spiral down towards the ground but yeah, ROF's AI can't handle it well.

• Locked thread