Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Good OP there, Galaga!

Although unless I missed it, there's nothing covering camera controls, which from what I've seen, a good few people (myself included) weren't initially aware that you can alter your head position in the cockpit. So I thought I'd quickly get a couple of screenshots and the controls, to preemptively answer the question, as I'm sure people may wonder about this, particularly if they get any of the field mods including additional sights, like the ALDIS sight. Other than that, nice one!

---

So, take a look at this Nieuport which might start off with the sights unaligned, like so:

(It doesn't, but just go with it; I didn't want to look through the whole list until I found one that starts out poorly-aligned! :D)

Anyway, you can move around your point of view, so that you will be correctly looking through the sights as shown below:

With the following controls, this can be as simple as flying a Sopwith flying anything other than a Sopwith! :eng101:

Up: Page Up
Down: Page Down
Left: Delete
Right: End

Also worth noting is that F10 saves the current PoV to be the default, so you don't need to adjust it each time.

EDIT: Also, stop making me regret not recording that one time I actually downed a plane with my luger, as I know it's a pipe-dream to even hope that it will happen again!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Leo Showers posted:

You can be an observer or a gunner, in single player you can just put the plane on autopilot and jack off.

You can also be the gunner in singleplayer, unless they patched that out. I tried it out a little while ago in my career, and sure enough it just whacked the plane into autopilot and I was able to take up the gunner's position. (I was flying the Brandenburg W12 if that makes a difference somehow)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bondematt posted:

There will probably need to be some rules, just throwing these out there.

1) No shooting until both are airborne
2) If you crash you can start shooting whenever
3) Steering your flaming wreckage at others is not only allowed, but also encouraged

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe we should do a low altitude race (in better airplanes) where the course is lined with flak guns and machinegun nests. :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGFkYOXP7s

Oh and balloons to serve as obstacles/bonus points.

This. My entire goon-life has been leading me to this point. :getin:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Also, with all this flare talk, what do they all represent? I get that red = "attack!" and green = "safe to take off" (and possibly other things?) but what about the others? Since all I've really used them for is as a last-resort projectile weapon, and to try to ricochet them off the ground into the underside of low-flying enemy balloons! :D

Artless Meat posted:

:siren: Reminder that Tomorrow, 5PM GMT (Noon EST) there will be Gothas. :siren:

Could someone please tell me when this is imminent, if I happen to be online at the time? I doubt it, but here's my Steam ID regardless:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/majorisoor

Thanks

EDIT: vvv :saddowns:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 10, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, we should really do what myself and some guys I know did in IL-2, which was to have two fully-crewed (with humans - or as close to fully-crewed as possible) Heinkels and (try to) duke it out with each other high in the skies; except obviously in RoF's case we'd be doing it with Gothas, or something similar.

Best outcome: When one gets damaged and/or desperate enough (and still has its payload) and attempts to fly directly over the other plane, dropping its bombs on the way, in an attempt to blow up the other bomber and HOPEFULLY make it out themselves!

EDIT: vvv Forgot about that. But yeah, definitely no Brenners. And no dual-MGs either, possibly?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 10, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Shine posted:

Just reply. This VVVVV thing is dumb.

Oh, sorry I didn't realise is was an issue - I'll refrain (or at least attempt to, heh; old habits die hard..) from doing so immediately.

Also, if I may ask, what's the main issue with it? I normally bold it to differentiate it better (didn't that time though, as I'm at work and need every second (although that isn't stopping me from posting in/reading this thread now and again, heh) as I can get, so I didn't bother typing the tags.) from the rest of the text, but is there another issue that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for the heads-up, and not being merciless! :shobon:

(EDIT: Re-read your post and OK I kinda get you there for that particular instance you quoted. But what about my saddowns one, where there's not really enough to warrant a new post? Or if it's just an acknowledgement where it doesn't really matter if they see it or not, like if you're asking them a question?)

..and on a related note, I forgot about the Felixstowes! They also seem to be able to endure quite a lot of punishment too, which will potentially make fights more interesting/drawn out.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 10, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Shine posted:

IMO if somebody just edits in an emoticon or a "Thanks!" or something, then it's whatever. I think it's just weird to do when you're editing in a future-reply that contributes to the conversation/asks somebody a question, when doing the future-reply thing makes it less likely that the person you'll replying to will see the reply, y'know? That said, I will also freely acknowledge that this is basically my personal mod pet peeve, and if you asked AxeManiac for his opinion he'd probably just laugh and drink vodka and forget what you'd asked him.

I'm hella happy to see this thread getting so much activity already. This game is hella cool and I'm so glad this ridiculous Indie Gala deal came about and gave everybody a dozen keys or whatever. Gonna get everybody I know to buy a joystick and play this game :allears:.

OK yeah that's fair enough; I personally tend to keep that sort of edit to "low-priority" things like saying thanks (if I'm not including anything else), etc. as you mentioned. (since otherwise it's easily missed, as you said earlier)

But anyway, to whoever mentioned earlier that they were going to make a goon group for RoF, did you wind up creating one? If so/not yet, would you mind posting a link for it? I've gotta get in on some of that goon RoF action ASAP!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Cant claim maneuver kills in PWCG it seems :P Had a 2v4 with my Nieuport and flight lead vs 4 Eindeckers, and 2 of them got a bit too confident in their looping skills and ate dirt during the course of the fight.

Well, you seem to be able to if you put at least some (one, even? Haven't really tried) bullets into their plane first, if I'm not mistaken. :D I've had a few of those too; mostly involving one of their wings clipping a tree. All of which appeared to go to my kill tally, even if I only hit them once or twice (one of which I didn't think I hit at all, but I obviously did at some point, as I got the kill)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

* Fokker D.VIIIF
This is an improved model of the Fokker D.VII in the channel battles pack. The primary difference is a better engine that provides much better high-altitude performance. Rate of Climb was improved as well, though actual speed wasn't effected much.

* Fokker D.VIII
The Fokker D.VIII monoplane from mid 1918 had excellent agility and easy of use. However the originally proposed engine encounter development trouble and it was forced to use the same engine as the already obsolete Fokker Dr.I, making it slow.

Just so you're aware, you mixed the images up with these two (sorry I accidentally deleted the top one quoted, and uh, don't feel like going through all those lines of BBCode, etc. again at the moment, as I'm still at work. :D), as well as calling the D.VIIF a D.VIIIF.

Nitpicking I know, but I just thought I should notify you, so that no confusion is caused! :shobon:

EDIT:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I also poked around into the PWCG save file stuff and corrected the injustice I suffered last night:

Huh, so where's that located, by the way? I've been wanting to do a gunner/observer campaign for a while, and I have a feeling I might need to do a few of those adjustments. (and is it just editable in notepad, or?)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 11, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Uuuh so, trying to get that PWCG mod working, and I've done everything in the instructions so far, like editing the startup.cfg file to create log files, setting up the campaign and accepting a mission in it, etc. Except when I actually play the mission (with me playing as an observer - I ticked the box for that too - in a DFW), it places me - with my 'default pilot' name - as the pilot and not the gunner. And I can't switch on the autopilot or anything either, so it's looking like it's a bit stuck.

Does anyone know how to get around this? Since I'd love to get a sortie in before having to log off tonight, although the way it's going, I won't be unless I fancy being the pilot. :( (which I don't - yet)

EDIT: Oh also, how many drum mags does the default single parabellum have? Eight, like the twin parabellums, or four? Since if it's eight, then yeah I'll definitely use that to be able to conserve ammo a little bit. Otherwise if it's four... Twins all the way, longer reload be damned! :black101:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 11, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator v15.9 has been released

...Hey Galaga Galaxian, could you tell me if/when you ever decide to upload a version of this to your dropbox account without all the music, etc. again? Since I (and my measly bandwidth allocation) would greatly appreciate it! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, if anyone fancies doing something in the next 8hrs or so, I'm available - I'll also be around for a short time in the afternoon (Adelaide time...+9:30?) tomorrow/Sunday, but that's about it for me, I'm afraid. :(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

[...] adds support for some infantry mod so you can see soldiers during battles [...]

Oh, so that's not included in PWCG itself? I thought it was, when I read the patch notes the other day. Do you have a name for it, by any chance? Since I might just download that one when I get home, I think.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
haha wow, I just had my best test flight, I think. I was taking my new Pfalz D.III out for a spin in the 'duel mode' and wound up downing seven SPADs. I'm considering uploading it to my Steam profile as a video for once, but here's the main highlight reel for me, on number seven when I ran out of ammo:

Improvisation time, as I've run out of MG ammo.

Closing in for another pass; just gotta get a little closer...

Lining up that one fatal buttock-puncturing shot... (good thing I'm not over-confident about this at all!)

Steady! Steady!

AUGH! Not good!

Phew, I'mot sure how I managed to get out of this - I thought it would crush my head for sure, as it rolled over my plane!

I'd call that a fair trade, myself! My prop and elevator for his...everything

And back on the ground without a scratch on me. Home in time for sauerkraut and beer!

I'm not sure how many Luger rounds I hit the enemy plane with in the end, but from the amount of thuds I heard I'd take a guess at ten - not to mention the MG rounds I put into him before I ran out. A resilient Frenchman, he was! All-in-all a good day out, I'd say!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 1, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Harmburger posted:

Recently got gifted this, so I bought a Logitech Extreme 3D to play. I've been playing with it on the desk in front of me, but that quickly causes my wrist to hurt. How do you normally play in regards to your equipment setup relative to your body?

My setup may be seen as a little odd, but I've got my mouse on the left (so I can use my left hand to look around with ease), my joystick in the middle (used with my right hand. Joystick's angled to the left/counter-clickwise for comfort) with my keyboard on an angle facing me off to my right, since that's used the least.

As for whether that's comfortable for everyone, I don't know; but I like the setup a fair bit, as everything's accessible for me.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, is anyone typically online and wanting to have the occasional RoF dogfight during the Australian (Adelaide, to be specific) evening period? (since I'm only available at around 6pm onwards during the week)

Since I've lately taken to using the Pfalz D.III (which I'm loving more than the Fokker D.VIII, which I wouldn't have thought possible), which I've been using to shoot down all other fighter/recon aircraft from both sides (ace difficulty AI-controlled) that I've gone against in 1v1 combat (even against two Pfalz D.IIIs at once, although that was a more painful experience for my pilot), and I know that the AI isn't on-par with most human players, so I'm just wondering how I'll go against other humans in a one-on-one fight, to see how I fare. (I know I likely won't do nearly as well, but it'll at least be a change of pace to go down in a blaze of glory once in a while, rather than just beating the AI!)

EDIT: Oh and here I am

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 12, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=43908

Looks like Rise of Flight is being put to bed in favor of Battle of Stalingrad and RoF: East Front Edition.

I must admit, I thought I was done with IL-2 - especially after Cliffs of Dover - in favour of RoF (particularly the Pfalz D.IIIa - so good to dogfight in) and also perhaps whatever they've called the eastern front version of the game, but after viewing the trailers for IL-2:BoS, I'm not sure if I'll be able to go without for long, even if it's got 'exclusive pre-order only' (or whatever they're badging it as) aircraft.
:negative:

EDIT: Oh also, can we perhaps organise a goon match of this? I missed all the gotha races that happened a while back due to timezone differences, but I'd be up for about anything, including 2-3 player dogfights, etc. I mostly want to just play with/against humans for a change, rather than the AI, to be honest!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, seeing as there doesn't appear to be an IL-2/IL-2: BoS thread (according to the SA search function, at least), are any of you planning to get it/have any of you gotten it? Since I'm likely going to get it myself (since it's not "Cliffs of Dover 2", is it? It's actually good partly due to being handled by 777, I take it?), but I'm currently weighing up getting the $95 version of it or not. So, is there much (either currently in the game or planned to be) in the way of solo-content? I know there's supposed to be some campaigns, but is there a career mode a la RoF? If so that'd pretty much make it an instant purchase for me. Otherwise, it's a slightly tougher call.

Also, how good is the AI and are we human players actually allowed to fly every plane? Or will there be off-limits "AI only" aircraft like the Zwilling in BoS, as there was in 1946/previous versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Never Been Banned posted:

A big thanks to proper gentleman Terminally Bored for hooking up some free keys. All downloaded and installed via steam now, but it would seem I'm experiencing some very bizarre bugs right off the bat.

First up, the game launches in a window, but actually runs beneath the task bar. I managed to muddle through the process of registering on the website and logging in anyhow, but from from there I'm simply taken to a list of flags from which I select my nationality, and then from there to an empty hangar with a rotating plane. The only interactable item here is a silver propeller and wings, which I can click and drag around.

Something is drastically wrong here, right?

Yeah that seems to happen a lot - I believe the main way around it is to go into "steamapps\common\rise of flight 2.0\bin_game\release" and I think there's a "settings" executable that you can use to change your resolution. There's also a manual/alternate way of doing this as well, via editing a config file, although I'm not at home at the moment and therefore can't confirm its location, so I'm just going off memory I'm afraid.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 6, 2014

• Locked thread