Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
This is the best plane in the game

Nothing beats going on a :frogsiren:Sea Patrol:frogsiren: in the mega-comfy cockpit of the Brandenburg W12 and looking for ships/shooting down Felixstowes. I'm also really loving the Roland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Roland is a really weird plane, it seems to fly with an awkward forward pitch. Otherwise I really like it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm finding the artillery spotting a little tedious, the map where you spot the actual artillery has no detail, not even roads, forests or towns and I have to guess what the target is. What am I doing wrong?

e: I get it's an artillery battery but I wish there was more detail.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 6, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I have been shot down twice in a row by AAA while flying at 2km. The first time I was instantly killed in a Roland, and the second time it was in my Fokker E.III.

I wasn't even flying in a straight line :negative:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

MohawkSatan posted:

Since I'm joystickless at this time, does anyone know if this will work with a gamepad?

You can be an observer or a gunner, in single player you can just put the plane on autopilot and jack off.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hav posted:

Fabian Becker made it to the western front okay, managed to take off and even made a brave stab at setting up his controls. Couldn't find anything that would fire the guns on the Plane though.

Still managed to limp away from the landing...

So, how do you fire the guns? I fear the balloonists have not yet learned to fear me.

Make sure your guns are cocked aswell, I usually only do it as I enter combat as they jam over time.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I was flying around in my Albatros D.Va and ran into a flight of Sopwith Pups. I never realised they can do some amazing flips and can basically fishtail in a turn to keep their guns on a target.

:negative:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Let me guess, goes nose crazy every time you try to turn? You need to use lots of rudder when flying the Dr.I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gniHY-IGxJ4

I didn't realise that was a thing, I actually was doing that already.

In campaign I'm giving my Brandenburg pilot a rest and flying a Albatros D.Va in Jasta 11. Soon I will be using the Dr.I and it should be pretty cool.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I hated it at first but I am in love with the Dr.I. The rotary engine takes getting used to, but learning to fly it is pretty rewarding. Normally I'd prefer the Albatros or something but it seems really tame compared to the Dr.I, which means it's outclassed by planes such as the Pup and Camel.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Jasta 11 is my favorite fighter squadron. I picked it at random because it sounded already and red is an amazing colour, but the penny didn't really drop on why we had red on the front of our Albatros D.Va's.

Red Baron and everything, man I'm stupid

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you were playing PWCG he'd even be an actual member of the squadron. The official skin pack does have some skins for him. Though I suspect that even with Ace AI, it'd lead to an early death for him.

Also, everyone reporting trouble setting up the game and their joysticks is really odd to me. While I have rebound a few buttons, for the most part I was able to plug in my Sidewinder and it was ready to go. Then again, I haven't played with the curves for cheat mode* artificial trim or anything complex.

*I'm not taking a serious dig at anyone here

I haven't had any problems either with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, I plugged it in and recalibrated it and it works completely fine. It's probably more down to luck however.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I don't mind the Albatros D.Va but pretty much everything is faster than you so you so basically you end up fighting planes which come to you. I'm going to give the PWCG a go too, I'm still going to fly as Jasta 11.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I guess my biggest issue with the Albatros is that the first hit always seems to kill the engine.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

With the Dr.I, I use the cross the bracing creates, it works well as a gunsight.

I am really over shooting at two seaters in the Albatros, It's tedious as hell and the engine always dies. I'd rather face an endless swarm of Camels, at least I'd have a chance.

e: The entirety of Jasta 11 was shot down by R.E.8s, even the Red Baron was killed. :qq:

Recoome fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 9, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I ended up scrubbing that mission and we did a patrol over the frontlines. I broke away from my Jasta 11 wingman and shot down a squad of 3 Brit Nieuport 17s and a RE8's single handedly. I was damaged and wounded by a 5th plane after a RE8 chased us back to the aerodrome but I landed safely. 3 missions with 5 kills, I'm pretty smug about that, certainly am living up the Jasta 11 reputation. I also have the Gold Military Merit Cross, which seems to be the NCO and enlisted version of the Blue Max.

e: "Sizzle sizzle wonk"

Recoome fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 9, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

For reference, do not use rudder when taking off in the Gotha, you want to use the ailerons to control direction. I also usually just push the nose down until I get enough speed where it pops off the ground itself, you absolutely cannot pull the Gotha off the ground until it does it by itself.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It took me a little while to actually get the feel of the Gotha but I unironically enjoy flying it now.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am averaging 1-3 kills per sortie with my Jasta 11 pilot, my most recent patrol had my flight of three Albatros face down 3x Nieuport 17s and a couple of Camels. Thankfully the Camel pilot was horrible and I was able to get an easy kill. I am much more familiar now with how certain planes perform so I feel like I am picking my fights better, which allows for more kills.

I have 13 kills now :colbert:

e: I still think the Albatros D.V is a dog, but overall it's pretty stable for shooting.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It's now the end of July 1917 in my campaign and we've had a string of casualties among some of the poorer-scoring members of Jasta 11. Richthofen is back from a short stint away, I wish we'd have Kurt Wolffe or whoever back, because he was getting a ton of kills per mission. I'm just treading water until I can use that amazing Dr.I

e: 8 Sorties, and I've been forced down 2 times.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 10, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It's never really completely one-sided when flying a Albatros, seeing as the engine seems to die really quickly. I was also wounded so that's why there is a time gap. I also have the Pilots Badge, Iron Cross in 2nd and 1st classes, the Wound Badge and the Cross of Military Merit in Gold.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

An interesting bit of trivia, the Blue Max is only awarded to officers, so technically I already have the Enlisted man's Pour le Merit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Interestingly enough, this is my pilot's current medal tally, I was not aware my pilot had been awarded the Hollenzen whateverthatis.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'd also like to take this time and request that our motto be "Flamerinos! Sizzle, Sizzle, Wonk!". I feel that those words capture the game perfectly.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Rolands are probably one of my favorite WWI planes, I will have to start a career as one. I'd also like to do RE8s, because :drat: they can pretty much do everything.

e: Personally you probably won't get credits for being an observer. I thiink it has something to do with the game counting it as whoever's plane it was, as opposed to who was manning the guns. The game/campaign may not discern the difference between kills gained with the pilot's armament and the observer's armament.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 10, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Flying my Albatros and my left wing gets hit. My engine dies.

:wtc:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I original Eindecker pilot was killed because a friendly did some weird-rear end flip stall and barrelled into my wing out of nowhere. Because the control wires were cut I could only watch as I slowly crashed and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

After taking a short break I've really come to appreciate the SPAD 13's style. The fact that you can essentially disengage whenever is amazing, against Albatros you are pretty much untouchable.

• Locked thread