Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gently caress this UI. I unplugged my joystick between games and must have plugged it into a different port when I went to play again. It wouldn't register even after I loaded my control scheme.

So I quit the game, plugged the joystick back into the original port, restarted, loaded my original control scheme, and... it won't work properly. All my view controls are hosed up, my fire button is remapped, etc. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My first career:

I killed a 2-seater in my Albatross, but it damaged a wing strut and shot away my prop and I landed in a field with my left wing falling off.

Next patrol, I shot down a Sopwith Triplane which damaged my ailerons so I couldn't turn properly, then accidentally rammed his wingman. I lost my prop and part of my right wing, and controlled the plane nearly all the way down. Then died. I got credited with the 2 kills for the mission, so I guess he crashed too.

e: I also tried to use a Gotha as an Ac-130 type deal. It sorta worked, but gently caress that plane. Racing them sounds like the best idea.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

War makes people insane. Mannock lost it fairly early on. If you read any of the books about him, you'll see his attitude change from "I'm a good pilot and will set a good example and help to protect my friends" to a combination of "KILL THEM ALL" and "I might as well kill myself" once a lot of people around him die and he gets to see the aftermath of some of his kills. It's incredibly depressing.

Mick Mannock posted:

The other fellows all laugh at me for carrying a revolver. They think I'm going to shoot down a machine with it, but they're wrong. The reason I bought it was to finish myself as soon as I see the first signs of flames. They'll never burn me.

quote:

On starting his third tour of duty in July, as CO of 85 Squadron, he confided his mortal fears to a friend, worried that three was an unlucky number. He became obsessed with neatness and order; his hair, his medals, his boots, everything had to be 'just so.'

Mick Mannock posted:

I feel that life is not worth hanging on to. I had hopes of getting married, but not now.

His story is even depressing after he's dead.

quote:

Mannock's Victoria Cross was presented to his father at Buckingham Palace in July 1919. Edward Mannock was also given his son's other medals, even though Mick had stipulated in his will that his father should receive nothing from his estate. Soon afterwards, Mannock's medals were sold for £5.

e: To be relevant to the game, he also wrote some rules of air combat that are pretty good to follow.

Pilots must dive to attack with zest, and must hold their fire until they get within one hundred yards of their target.
Achieve surprise by approaching from the East. (From the German side of the front.)
Utilize the sun's glare and clouds to achieve surprise.
Pilots must keep physically fit by exercise and the moderate use of stimulants.
Pilots must sight their guns and practice as much as possible as targets are normally fleeting.
Pilots must practice spotting machines in the air and recognizing them at long range, and every aeroplane is to be treated as an enemy until it is certain it is not.
Pilots must learn where the enemy's blind spots are.
Scouts must be attacked from above and two-seaters from beneath their tails.
Pilots must practice quick turns, as this maneuver is more used than any other in a fight.
Pilots must practice judging distances in the air as these are very deceptive.
Decoys must be guarded against — a single enemy is often a decoy — therefore the air above should be searched before attacking.
If the day is sunny, machines should be turned with as little bank as possible, otherwise the sun glistening on the wings will give away their presence at a long range.
Pilots must keep turning in a dog fight and never fly straight except when firing.
Pilots must never, under any circumstances, dive away from an enemy, as he gives his opponent a non-deflection shot — bullets are faster than aeroplanes.
Pilots must keep their eye on their watches during patrols, and on the direction and strength of the wind.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 8, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe you'll get lucky and Lothar'll let you fly one of the Dr.Is. Then again, they're not exactly known for speed either.

I'm doing OK in the Dr.I after watching that video about how to turn it without spinning all over the place. poo poo can run away from me pretty easy though.

I really really like the SE.5. I cheated the controller curves a bit and now it's a stable, steady plane that I constantly score kills in. My new career in it has 3 plane kills and 2 balloons. I've also crashed or "landed" not on the airfield in 4 out of the 6 sorties I've flown. Once because my prop got shot away (landed just on my own side of the front), once because my port side outer strut snapped and left my port bottom wing kind of fluttering (landed in a field and flipped over), and twice just because I'm poo poo. I did manage a perfect landing on the airfield after a piece of shattered Halberstadt ripped my starboard elevator off, and that felt awesome but it was a total bitch not flipping over at slow speeds.

e: what pack unlocks the field mods for stuff like the Camel, Dr.I, and SE.5? I want a loving gunsight.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 9, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I think the Albatross D.V is my new favorite plane. I started a German career to see if it would be fun, and I got 2 balloons and a Nieuport on my first sortie. Then I landed in a field because my engine poo poo itself, but I'm just accepting that as standard now.

e: As far as I know, I didn't overspeed it (I put my throttle to about 5% do dive on the balloons) and I didn't get shot. It just seemed to spontaneously start pissing out oil after I shot the Nieuport. His friend was getting hosed up by my 4 squadmates about 2km away at the time, and there wasn't any flak.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 10, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

5 air kills and 3 balloons now on my (vanilla) German career. I've totally got the hang of the Albatross D.III and D.V now. I'm killing Nieuports pretty easily, and my last kill was a Spad 7.

I've actually killed 2 or 3 more planes than it's credited me for. When I shoot the wings off a 2-seater and the squadron commander (who's about 2km away) is awarded the kill, I get pretty pissy in real life (and my fiancee goes "jesus, shut up, it's just a game"). The fuckwit led us right under an obviously enemy flight, too. 2 pilots killed, and I "landed" in a field with no prop. I've been landing regularly without issue recently though!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elukka posted:

Why do planes have multiple gunsights? You can't look through more than one at once, so... why are they there? For some odd situation where you'd want to use one gun? How do I WW1.

Most of the guns weren't specifically made to go on planes, and most of them have built-in sights. If you have 2 of those guns on your plane, you have two sights for them. If you then want a central gunsight so that you don't have to lean over and sight down one of the actual guns, now you have 3 gunsights. Or the plane might have iron sights mounted on it but you strap a cool collimator or aldis sight on because it's better.

A lot of WWI planes, especially the early ones, were kind of thrown together. Remember, at the very start of the war a plane with fixed, forward firing guns wasn't something that existed. The idea of a gun that fired through the propellor was something that came up during the war (nope, it was around before then, but some of the first efforts were "eh, screw some metal wedges into the prop where the bullets might hit it, what could go wrong?", because early WWI aviation was loving terrifying).

e: The Fokker E.III was the first operational plane to carry a gun that fired through the propeller via synchronisation gear. It became operational in December 1915, 17 months after the war started.

e2: I just read that early in the war, apart from firing pistols and rifles at each other, pilots and observers would also throw grenades and grappling hooks at other planes. I need a grappling hook in-game. They can charge 20 bucks for it and I'll pay.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 15, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Azran posted:

Also, interesting to see there are no Russian planes in the game. Did they have no designs of their own?

I might be wrong, but I think most of their designs were outdated at the start of the war and they bought or lend/leased french and british planes. Theey did have 4-engined bombers though. Huge ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_Ilya_Muromets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, the Aldis is a collimated gunsight. :spergin:

I thought the aldis sight was just a telescope. I now know that it is a kind of telescope, and that kind of telescope is referred to as "collimated". I thought a reflector sight was a completely different thing that was sometimes also called a collimated sight. It's not. I learned something new. :spergin::hf::spergin:

• Locked thread