Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I'm guessing there's no way I could download that indiegala steam version and just log in with my normal non-channel battle account, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, sorry. The Steam and RoF store versions purchases are incompatible for whatever reason.

Eh, figured as much. Still somewhat temped so I've at least got the ability to join in when we're channel-mapping.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, how much stuff for the Standard/Non-steam version do you have? At $6 for what the bundle is offering, it might be worth it just to make a second account.

Looking at the planes that come with the steam channel version, it's worth it. I'm losing a few Sopwiths, my handguns and the DR.I (And an albatross, I think)

Gonna make a second account and not worry about it.

Edit: I mean, $6 for all that is one hell of a deal, seriously.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Wait those are ALL in the indiegala bundle? Yup. Definitely making a separate account, then. I guess I'll just say I've got a german account and a british account. :v:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Well, Boelcke died a month early in my PWCG campaign, although at least it was to four sopwith strutters and not some landing gear.

And hey, I came away with three kills. And then immediately transferred to another squadron due to the shame of it.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Am I :spergin: or crazy for wishing it would pause the Lewis Gun reload sequence if it detected stick/throttle/whatever input? I mean, you kind of need both hands to reload a machinegun.

Pfft, you're steering with your knees.

Now, if you stick-inputted AND rudder-inputted at the same time, you'd drop the drum mag over the side.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

That was a really nice cap-off to a 3 Eindecker sortie, and earned me the Croix De Guerre!

Edit: Jesus, I hope I'm situated elsewhere on the front from you, Galaga!

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 12, 2014

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Well, Hell. Early June 1916, Esc N.62 flying out of Moreuil, SE of Amiens. That was possibly an FA23 C.II, then.

And you're murdering N.62 Nieuports.

(On a serious note, what Air/Ground/Etc densities are you running with?)

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Currently Low Air Density, Medium ground and structure density.

Despite being "Low" on the last mission I spotted upwards of 7 F.E.2Bs, 4-6 Nieuport 11s/17s (including some British ones), and a patrol of 3-4 Eindeckers.

Yeah I was wondering with the largeish amount of ground troops there. And 'Low' certainly still gives you plenty of stuff to see.

And I'm pretty sure there's a British airfield just south of my own one, as those British Nieuports pop up for me, too.

Damnit, I think I knew that guy.

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 12, 2014

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Pretty much. I've had some luck with pop-ups and duck downs, but due to the Roland's speed you get a very small window of firing time.

Hence the angled shots with the rotated Lewis guns.

(I'd say I wish the AI was a little more self-aware with such things, but I've got a DFW C.V observer campaign going on the side.)

By the way, Esc. N.62 are a 'Competent' squadron.

What this seems to mean is the rest of my flight will either a) bug the gently caress out at superior numbers, even with a height advantage, or b) dive in, get hit with a single bullet and then run away.

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 12, 2014

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I know it was wishful thinking, but god I wish the final unlock in the indiegala event was the ace pack. I'm looking at a while without any field mods.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Target Practice posted:

Okay that's pretty great. But can you just keep playing as an observer without getting promoted to a pilot?

Using PWCG, you basically control what your dude flies/does, so you don't have to advance to being a pilot if you don't want to.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Jesus CHRIST.

Album!

I try to bounce a couple of DFW's. I assume one of the gunners was Galaga, as I'm immediately lightly wounded on my approach.

I take this as a sign, and decide to nap on the way back to the airbase instead of pursuing.

Wait. What's that in the distance? Is that.....?

YES. YES IT IS. HUARGRBGGBLG

COME HERE SO I CAN SPIT BLOOD AT YOU.

WHY DON'T I HAVE THE ACE PACK.

Edit: The Somme Begins and I'm out with a severe wound for the foreseeable future, but I claimed a single E.III kill.

My flight leader ran away.

AngrySpork posted:

How do you start a career as an observer? Do you need PWCG?

Yup. It's an option you can select if you're joining a recon squadron. You'll start in the pilot seat, but just flip the autopilot on and ctrl+c to hop to the gunner.

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 13, 2014

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Good god PWCG does not mess around with serious injuries.

Jumped by two E.IIIs and four Rolands on a solo flight, badly wounded, slammed into a tree but survived.

Date? 19th of July, 1916.

Returned to active duty?

16th of January, 1917.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Hmmm. Something doesn't seem right here.

Eh, I'm sure it's nothing. Onwards, flight leader! Lead the way!

Hrm. Alright, boys! Plan B. We're driving to the front line!

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Mr Darcy posted:

If you can put up with my Yorkshire accent muttering "Oh Cock" every time I crash, then either works for me too. As long as it's a GMT based start anyway.

Put up with it?

I refuse to start without it.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
On that note I was going to invite folks to dick around on one of the near-sim level servers but good lord when the rise of flight master server goes down, it goes down.

Even the webpage is dead.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Shoutout to.... I think it's the camel that has a weapon pack of two more Lewis on the wing and another two on the top of the wing that you can all put on at once.

And enjoy having the stability of a brick.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That would be the Sopwith Dolphin, actually. But yeah lots of guns, though I'm not really sure they're worth it. The wing guns can't be reloaded or have jams cleared, and the other pair of Lewis guns aren't capable of firing at the same aiming point as the Vickers, since they're angled to fire over the prop.

They're not worth it at all, to be honest.

It's not only the lack of jam clearing and firing convergence, it just adds so much weight to a plane that already comes pre-built with what I like to term the 'Sopwith Jitters' that if you overdo anything, your energy is just gone.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Oh son of a BITCH.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Splode posted:

IL-2 had pretty bad online servers because of this, you tended to just get creamed by someone diving in on you from the stratosphere, who'd then climb straight back up.

This is all I ever do in a SPAD. I am a bad person.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
If Galaga is down, I'd be happy to run a 'basics of things' session sometime.

I say 'if Galaga is down' because I need someone to correct me when I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Bob was there to see the aftermath of my flight against an enemy PWCG ace, and is thus someone I will always wingman for.

edit:

This was a tense flight home.

Edit edit: my router shat the bad so I decided that was a good time to get some sleep, as obviously I was being sent a sign I'd not do better than that final camel flight.

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 26, 2014

• Locked thread