Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I've seen the following story reposted repeatedly as a sort of meme:

quote:

The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA’s scarred jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
Which reading is true? Which reading is true? WHICH READING IS TRUE!?

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

The appeal here is understandable: the basic narrative is of an college-educated man inflicting violence against an innocent. The narrative is an exaggerated version of the familiar chain e-mail, where a precocious young child (or United States Marine) stands up before a sputtering liberal college professor to tell him that abortion (or terrorism) is actually wrong, causing the whole class to applaud.

However, there is a more familiar narrative here. The conflation of writing with torture bears an unmistakable resemblance to the phenomenon of 'triggering', popularized by Tumblr, where certain words are alleged to 'trigger' latent traumas from abuse, rape, etc. SJWs effectively claim to be 'raped by words', and consequently hold uncareful speech to be an absolutely unacceptable harassment. In this sense, the story is accurate; I am not tolerant or respectful of others' opinions 'by default'. Standing for truth is by nature violent, intolerant.

'"Harassment" is another of those words which, although it seems to refer to a clearly defined fact, functions in a deeply ambiguous way and perpetrates an ideological mystification. At its most elementary, the term designates brutal facts of rape, beating, and other modes of social violence which, of course, should be ruthlessly condemned. However, in the predominant use of the term "harassment," this elementary meaning imperceptibly slips into the condemnation of any excessive proximity of another real human being, with his or her desires, fears and pleasures. Two topics determine today's liberal tolerant attitude towards others: the respect of otherness, openness towards it, and the obsessive fear of harassment. The other is OK insofar as his presence is not intrusive, insofar as the other is not really other. Tolerance coincides with its opposite: my duty to be tolerant towards the other effectively means that I should not get too close to him, not to intrude into his/her space - in short, that I should respect his/her intolerance towards my over-proximity. This is what is more and more emerging as the central 'human right' in late-capitalist society: the right not to be harassed, i.e., to be kept at a safe distance from the others.'
-Slavoj Zizek, "God is Dead, but He Doesn't Know It"

Despite the Koos character's claims to stand for 'aw shucks' traditionalism , family values and whatnot, the ideological universe of the story is wholly liberal-capitalist.

The choice of the Goofy Movie as the subject for the fictional debate is quite revealing. Any viewer of A Goofy Movie knows that although Goofy feels threatened by the pop artist Powerline (a black 'afrofuturist' artist with a hitop fade and astronaut costume, hailing from LA), the harmony in his family is actually disrupted by the intrusion of a girl. A Goofy Movie is essentially a gender-swapped Forbidden Planet, where Max's encounter with the woman as Object disturbs he and his father's incestuous peace. Find explanation here for why a literal Bigfoot monster appears. Max and Goofy are each trying to make sense of an impossible antagonism, so that Max blames the loss of harmony on the rednecks, and Goofy blames 'rap music'. The moral is, of course, that these are both false targets. The harmony they seek is an impossible fantasy.

This is relevant because the story depicts the SuperMechagodzilla character as a 'terrorist' threat trying to 'destroy our way of life' (despite my consistently voicing support for 'conservative values' in actuality) - an abject creature to be eliminated so that a harmonious, capitalist society can be guaranteed. As in Tumblr, the language of authentic emancipatory movements is appropriated for personal empowerment, divorced from actual class struggle. Imagery of martyrdom is abused.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Greetings.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
fascinating

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Welcome, THRILLHO

I Have Sigs Off

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Welcome, THRILLHO

I don't think SMG liked your story

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Furthermore, 'SuperMechagodzilla' has two Ls and the G is not capitalized.

----------------

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lets get better acquainted before you face the 12 Trials of Koos. tell us a little about yourself, SuperMechagodzilla. which worthless Colledge degree did you parlay into a career examining pacific rim for 12 hours a day, for exampkle

I Have Sigs Off

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lets get better acquainted before you face the 12 Trials of Koos. tell us a little about yourself, SuperMechagodzilla. which worthless Colledge degree did you parlay into a career examining pacific rim for 12 hours a day, for exampkle

I'm not sure why I would do that.

----------------

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm not sure why I would do that.

can you write your name on a lime and stick it up your rear end?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jay z's sedan posted:

can you write your name on a lime and stick it up your rear end?

I'm not sure why I would do that either.

----------------

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

I'm not sure why I would do that either.

really?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
SuperMechaGodzilla, I have a question: when did you "get into" film?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
movies are video games for people with poor hand eye coordination

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

no they will not posted:

SuperMechaGodzilla, I have a question: when did you "get into" film?

I don't recall.

----------------

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

The Author Is Alive And Well

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
whats your take on an extremely goofy movie

----------------

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

squirting mastery posted:

whats your take on an extremely goofy movie

Haven't seen it

edit: in retrospect this probably wasn't directed at me

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

well, what was the first film you critically examined?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Which of the classics do you consider either to be "overrated" or "regressive"?

----------------

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=yCPEYKc5Ebn8CxkN

Maltag
Oct 1, 2007

Furthermore, 'SuperMechagodzilla' has two Ls and the G is not capitalized.

my profound apologies

petulant child
Sep 5, 2013
Glad you could join us, SuperMechagodzilla

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

greetings, on behalf of the fyadlings.

----------------

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

supermechagodzilla what's the "furthest" youve "gone" with a girl in a movie theater. was it good

----------------

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Anyway, welcome to FYAD, feel free to chill out and post gags with the boys, and if you have any questions, just post them here, or PM me or future IK Koos Group.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

greetings

scrub lover is good

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

nobodyman posted:

Glad you could join us, SuperMechagodzilla

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
i'm gay.

凸[◣_◢]凸UNBAN JACK DANIELS凸[◣_◢]凸 put this in your sig if you support FYAD凸[◣_◢]凸

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Super Mecha gojira, what forum do you post in and what do you do

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I know you're supposed to turn of your brain when watching films and I don't wanna overanalyze but I saw Triumph of Will and it might have some slight Nazi undertones.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

welcome SMG.

no they will not posted:

Cool. added to sig

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

I know you're supposed to turn of your brain when watching films and I don't wanna overanalyze but I saw Triumph of Will and it might have some slight Nazi undertones.

Well, not to make a "value judgement" but I think Hitler was really good.

Balls-kun
Jun 29, 2010

I've seen the following story reposted repeatedly as a sort of meme:

The appeal here is understandable: the basic narrative is of an college-educated man inflicting violence against an innocent. The narrative is an exaggerated version of the familiar chain e-mail, where a precocious young child (or United States Marine) stands up before a sputtering liberal college professor to tell him that abortion (or terrorism) is actually wrong, causing the whole class to applaud.

However, there is a more familiar narrative here. The conflation of writing with torture bears an unmistakable resemblance to the phenomenon of 'triggering', popularized by Tumblr, where certain words are alleged to 'trigger' latent traumas from abuse, rape, etc. SJWs effectively claim to be 'raped by words', and consequently hold uncareful speech to be an absolutely unacceptable harassment. In this sense, the story is accurate; I am not tolerant or respectful of others' opinions 'by default'. Standing for truth is by nature violent, intolerant.

'"Harassment" is another of those words which, although it seems to refer to a clearly defined fact, functions in a deeply ambiguous way and perpetrates an ideological mystification. At its most elementary, the term designates brutal facts of rape, beating, and other modes of social violence which, of course, should be ruthlessly condemned. However, in the predominant use of the term "harassment," this elementary meaning imperceptibly slips into the condemnation of any excessive proximity of another real human being, with his or her desires, fears and pleasures. Two topics determine today's liberal tolerant attitude towards others: the respect of otherness, openness towards it, and the obsessive fear of harassment. The other is OK insofar as his presence is not intrusive, insofar as the other is not really other. Tolerance coincides with its opposite: my duty to be tolerant towards the other effectively means that I should not get too close to him, not to intrude into his/her space - in short, that I should respect his/her intolerance towards my over-proximity. This is what is more and more emerging as the central 'human right' in late-capitalist society: the right not to be harassed, i.e., to be kept at a safe distance from the others.'
-Slavoj Zizek, "God is Dead, but He Doesn't Know It"

Despite the Koos character's claims to stand for 'aw shucks' traditionalism , family values and whatnot, the ideological universe of the story is wholly liberal-capitalist.

The choice of the Goofy Movie as the subject for the fictional debate is quite revealing. Any viewer of A Goofy Movie knows that although Goofy feels threatened by the pop artist Powerline (a black 'afrofuturist' artist with a hitop fade and astronaut costume, hailing from LA), the harmony in his family is actually disrupted by the intrusion of a girl. A Goofy Movie is essentially a gender-swapped Forbidden Planet, where Max's encounter with the woman as Object disturbs he and his father's incestuous peace. Find explanation here for why a literal Bigfoot monster appears. Max and Goofy are each trying to make sense of an impossible antagonism, so that Max blames the loss of harmony on the rednecks, and Goofy blames 'rap music'. The moral is, of course, that these are both false targets. The harmony they seek is an impossible fantasy.

This is relevant because the story depicts the SuperMechagodzilla character as a 'terrorist' threat trying to 'destroy our way of life' (despite my consistently voicing support for 'conservative values' in actuality) - an abject creature to be eliminated so that a harmonious, capitalist society can be guaranteed. As in Tumblr, the language of authentic emancipatory movements is appropriated for personal empowerment, divorced from actual class struggle. Imagery of martyrdom is abused.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

God isn't dead, btw. He's alive.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
What fascinates and enthralls most about the GBS remake of Lyle F. Cooper is the complete absence of the original's diegetic voice acknowledging his all encompassing personal failure. However, this does nothing to skew the focus of the work away from the purview of its progenitor. "Lyle" stand-in SuperMechagodzilla's unwavering, inflexible rigidity as he writes about imaginary themes within Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen every day since June 8th 2012 serves as the character's tacit admission of his physical, sexual, and intellectual enfeeblement, which, if anything, roars with a greater amplitude than the original. Indeed, though it is not writ large in a vulgar, lower-case stream, the audience is left in no doubt as to his prodigious ability to "m-bate" to "hentee manga".

I Have Sigs Off

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Transformers is actually about two robots who don't like each other and get into fights, in my opinion.

----------------

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Twisty of Fate posted:

God isn't dead, btw. He's alive.

that's good news!!!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

What fascinates and enthralls most about the GBS remake of Lyle F. Cooper is the complete absence of the original's diegetic voice acknowledging his all encompassing personal failure. However, this does nothing to skew the focus of the work away from the purview of its progenitor. "Lyle" stand-in SuperMechagodzilla's unwavering, inflexible rigidity as he writes about imaginary themes within Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen every day since June 8th 2012 serves as the character's tacit admission of his physical, sexual, and intellectual enfeeblement, which, if anything, roars with a greater amplitude than the original. Indeed, though it is not writ large in a vulgar, lower-case stream, the audience is left in no doubt as to his prodigious ability to "m-bate" to "hentee manga".

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

• Locked thread