Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

jay z's sedan posted:

can you write your name on a lime and stick it up your rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I've seen the following story reposted repeatedly as a sort of meme:

The appeal here is understandable: the basic narrative is of an college-educated man inflicting violence against an innocent. The narrative is an exaggerated version of the familiar chain e-mail, where a precocious young child (or United States Marine) stands up before a sputtering liberal college professor to tell him that abortion (or terrorism) is actually wrong, causing the whole class to applaud.

However, there is a more familiar narrative here. The conflation of writing with torture bears an unmistakable resemblance to the phenomenon of 'triggering', popularized by Tumblr, where certain words are alleged to 'trigger' latent traumas from abuse, rape, etc. SJWs effectively claim to be 'raped by words', and consequently hold uncareful speech to be an absolutely unacceptable harassment. In this sense, the story is accurate; I am not tolerant or respectful of others' opinions 'by default'. Standing for truth is by nature violent, intolerant.

'"Harassment" is another of those words which, although it seems to refer to a clearly defined fact, functions in a deeply ambiguous way and perpetrates an ideological mystification. At its most elementary, the term designates brutal facts of rape, beating, and other modes of social violence which, of course, should be ruthlessly condemned. However, in the predominant use of the term "harassment," this elementary meaning imperceptibly slips into the condemnation of any excessive proximity of another real human being, with his or her desires, fears and pleasures. Two topics determine today's liberal tolerant attitude towards others: the respect of otherness, openness towards it, and the obsessive fear of harassment. The other is OK insofar as his presence is not intrusive, insofar as the other is not really other. Tolerance coincides with its opposite: my duty to be tolerant towards the other effectively means that I should not get too close to him, not to intrude into his/her space - in short, that I should respect his/her intolerance towards my over-proximity. This is what is more and more emerging as the central 'human right' in late-capitalist society: the right not to be harassed, i.e., to be kept at a safe distance from the others.'
-Slavoj Zizek, "God is Dead, but He Doesn't Know It"

Despite the Koos character's claims to stand for 'aw shucks' traditionalism , family values and whatnot, the ideological universe of the story is wholly liberal-capitalist.

The choice of the Goofy Movie as the subject for the fictional debate is quite revealing. Any viewer of A Goofy Movie knows that although Goofy feels threatened by the pop artist Powerline (a black 'afrofuturist' artist with a hitop fade and astronaut costume, hailing from LA), the harmony in his family is actually disrupted by the intrusion of a girl. A Goofy Movie is essentially a gender-swapped Forbidden Planet, where Max's encounter with the woman as Object disturbs he and his father's incestuous peace. Find explanation here for why a literal Bigfoot monster appears. Max and Goofy are each trying to make sense of an impossible antagonism, so that Max blames the loss of harmony on the rednecks, and Goofy blames 'rap music'. The moral is, of course, that these are both false targets. The harmony they seek is an impossible fantasy.

This is relevant because the story depicts the SuperMechagodzilla character as a 'terrorist' threat trying to 'destroy our way of life' (despite my consistently voicing support for 'conservative values' in actuality) - an abject creature to be eliminated so that a harmonious, capitalist society can be guaranteed. As in Tumblr, the language of authentic emancipatory movements is appropriated for personal empowerment, divorced from actual class struggle. Imagery of martyrdom is abused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQijskAMp4

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

What fascinates and enthralls most about the GBS remake of Lyle F. Cooper is the complete absence of the original's diegetic voice acknowledging his all encompassing personal failure. However, this does nothing to skew the focus of the work away from the purview of its progenitor. "Lyle" stand-in SuperMechagodzilla's unwavering, inflexible rigidity as he writes about imaginary themes within Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen every day since June 8th 2012 serves as the character's tacit admission of his physical, sexual, and intellectual enfeeblement, which, if anything, roars with a greater amplitude than the original. Indeed, though it is not writ large in a vulgar, lower-case stream, the audience is left in no doubt as to his prodigious ability to "m-bate" to "hentee manga".

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

op please share your thoughts on the upcoming new 'zilla movie and please try to keep it to just three sentences please

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
hey SMG... tell us how you REALLY feel

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I did not read the OP

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone
Welcome SMG. Who would win a fight SuperRegulargodzilla or SuperMechamothra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPi2pOotiw

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

The appeal here is understandable: the basic narrative is of an college-educated man inflicting violence against an innocent. The narrative is an exaggerated version of the familiar chain e-mail, where a precocious young child (or United States Marine) stands up before a sputtering liberal college professor to tell him that abortion (or terrorism) is actually wrong, causing the whole class to applaud.

However, there is a more familiar narrative here. The conflation of writing with torture bears an unmistakable resemblance to the phenomenon of 'triggering', popularized by Tumblr, where certain words are alleged to 'trigger' latent traumas from abuse, rape, etc. SJWs effectively claim to be 'raped by words', and consequently hold uncareful speech to be an absolutely unacceptable harassment. In this sense, the story is accurate; I am not tolerant or respectful of others' opinions 'by default'. Standing for truth is by nature violent, intolerant.

'"Harassment" is another of those words which, although it seems to refer to a clearly defined fact, functions in a deeply ambiguous way and perpetrates an ideological mystification. At its most elementary, the term designates brutal facts of rape, beating, and other modes of social violence which, of course, should be ruthlessly condemned. However, in the predominant use of the term "harassment," this elementary meaning imperceptibly slips into the condemnation of any excessive proximity of another real human being, with his or her desires, fears and pleasures. Two topics determine today's liberal tolerant attitude towards others: the respect of otherness, openness towards it, and the obsessive fear of harassment. The other is OK insofar as his presence is not intrusive, insofar as the other is not really other. Tolerance coincides with its opposite: my duty to be tolerant towards the other effectively means that I should not get too close to him, not to intrude into his/her space - in short, that I should respect his/her intolerance towards my over-proximity. This is what is more and more emerging as the central 'human right' in late-capitalist society: the right not to be harassed, i.e., to be kept at a safe distance from the others.'

Despite the Koos character's claims to stand for 'aw shucks' traditionalism , family values and whatnot, the ideological universe of the story is wholly liberal-capitalist.

The choice of the Goofy Movie as the subject for the fictional debate is quite revealing. Any viewer of A Goofy Movie knows that although Goofy feels threatened by the pop artist Powerline (a black 'afrofuturist' artist with a hitop fade and astronaut costume, hailing from LA), the harmony in his family is actually disrupted by the intrusion of a girl. A Goofy Movie is essentially a gender-swapped Forbidden Planet, where Max's encounter with the woman as Object disturbs he and his father's incestuous peace. Find explanation here for why a literal Bigfoot monster appears. Max and Goofy are each trying to make sense of an impossible antagonism, so that Max blames the loss of harmony on the rednecks, and Goofy blames 'rap music'. The moral is, of course, that these are both false targets. The harmony they seek is an impossible fantasy.

This is relevant because the story depicts the SuperMechagodzilla character as a 'terrorist' threat trying to 'destroy our way of life' (despite my consistently voicing support for 'conservative values' in actuality) - an abject creature to be eliminated so that a harmonious, capitalist society can be guaranteed. As in Tumblr, the language of authentic emancipatory movements is appropriated for personal empowerment, divorced from actual class struggle. Imagery of martyrdom is abused.

finally some effort around here

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I just checked out the SMG thread and the vitriol actually disturbed me. I know most of it is for e-cred or whatever but there's gotta be some genuine feeling behind it and it creeped me out. It's like a scene in a movie where a bunch of criminals finally get their hands on the cop/da/superhero who put them away, except SMG just posts about movies and has not interacted with most of those posters in any capacity.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

lol

thanks to horny rabbit guy

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Sorry man I don't read FYAD I'm just going off what this thread says where this is some subforum vote to get a guy banned (and subsequently cost him a few $10 payments) a few times, which seems really dumb. As do the "turn your brain off college boy" "ironic" posts.

thanks to horny rabbit guy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

We're sociopaths

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Triticum Guzzler: I bet that really pisses you off. You don't think I am a nice guy.
SupermechaGodzilla: Buddy, I think your analysis of a goofy movie is based on flawed iconography.

----------------

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

lol

old sig: http://i.imgur.com/ukjgdmn.gif
thank u giko

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
Greetings SMG. and salutations

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I.N.R.I posted:

We're sociopaths

How does one join the social group for the antisocial?

----------------

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

it starts with a football av so you're on the right track

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Chichevache posted:

How does one join the social group for the antisocial?

I dunno :D

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

please go away OP

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006

lol

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

please go away OP

he cant :twisted:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Anime Sandwich posted:

Sorry man I don't read FYAD I'm just going off what this thread says where this is some subforum vote to get a guy banned (and subsequently cost him a few $10 payments) a few times, which seems really dumb. As do the "turn your brain off college boy" "ironic" posts.

hosed up that the forum where people compete to construct imaginary oppressive narratives in the face of objective reality is being oppressed by forums moderator koos, who delights in banning people. all the while these braying, no doubt majority white frat boy jackasses yuk it up. im disgusted. 4/5 stars.

I Have Sigs Off

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

i'm shakeing

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
FYAD hates college people, because they're jealous. We dig ditches and f*ck b*tches in fyad but we wish we went to film school

Ikasu
Oct 8, 2007

I'm not sure why I would do that.

try it its cool

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

i would trade all of these muscles, every goddamn one, just to be able to clearly see the insidious neo-fascistic subtext of Disney's Frozen

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
The work you have to do in college is really hard, so I really wonder why all these really stupid people in CineD manage to stay there. and some of them even have a really high GPA. Im sure most of them are lying and are just changing the words in TEDtalks to be about the movies theyre watching.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

was it really so hard to respond to that funny post with your own attempt at a joke rather than another one of your essays that only give the impression of intellectual depth to a group of men in their 30s who get paid to review movies based on their placement on the misogyny scale and think that a 90s childrens film about mice warrants its own thread

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

James Hardon posted:

was it really so hard to respond to that funny post with your own attempt at a joke rather than another one of your essays that only give the impression of intellectual depth to a group of men in their 30s who get paid to review movies based on their placement on the misogyny scale and think that a 90s childrens film about mice warrants its own thread

I'm pretty sure SMlower-case-G did make a joke.

Beetlejuice v.o
Jul 12, 2008

now that supermechagodzilla is here lets watch a movie together, write our ideas about it, and then share them with eachother

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
A good thing may be that the mods are typically really inept and will forget to untrain him from fyad, causing him distress

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Beetlejuice v.o posted:

now that supermechagodzilla is here lets watch a movie together, write our ideas about it, and then share them with eachother

I'd like to really focus on the mind blowing use of violence as a metaphor for postcolonial capitalism in the Zapruder Film.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
personally i think the jews that make the movies adont have anywhere near the aesthetic interest in the movies they put out that people in cinema discusso think they do, since it doesnt help them get any more money than normal from the movie to do that.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Movies are pretty good if you can't afford video games.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
SMg, i respect that you are at least trying to make a joke in the film forum, unlike your contemporaries who do the exact same thing but in earnest

I Have Sigs Off

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

despite what some trolls might say i thought it was a very interesting post. i would be interested to see some more film analysis by you, but cant seem to find any thats not about childrens movies or comic book stuff

old sig: http://i.imgur.com/ukjgdmn.gif
thank u giko

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wow! Just goes to show you how much creative work you can accomplish on a 10$ budget

----------------

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

now that smg is in fyad, we can finally begin the spanglish inquisition

----------------

petulant child
Sep 5, 2013
I'd like to see SMg's analysis of Creating Rem Lezar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

Chichevache posted:

I'd like to really focus on the mind blowing use of violence as a metaphor for postcolonial capitalism in the Zapruder Film.

you still trying to become a cop?

----------------

• Locked thread