Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
He's not even breathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

quote:

@jnsanchez 3m
Gustavo Padilla scored the fight for Shumenov. Criminal. #HopkinsShumenov

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know I should know better, but I can't help getting incredibly hopeful about this.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/4/23/5644852/oscar-de-la-hoya-reportedly-talking-bob-arum-about-matching-canelo-pacquiao-boxing

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 24, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Kinda makes sense since there is (supposedly was but who know) a split within Golden Boy between Oscar and Richard Schafer with Canelo being closer to Oscar and Floyd, Broner, etc. with Schafer.

A Canelo - De la Hoya promotion could conceivably get a lot of the top Hispanic fighters and open things up since hbo's problem is mostly with Al Haymon as opposed to GB promotions as a whole.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The SituAsian posted:

Kinda makes sense since there is (supposedly was but who know) a split within Golden Boy between Oscar and Richard Schafer with Canelo being closer to Oscar and Floyd, Broner, etc. with Schafer.

I'd say the split continues: http://www.boxingscene.com/insider-notebook-schaefer-chavez-vs-golovkin-more--77031

Richard Schaefer posted:

A second tweet had De La Hoya saying that if anyone at Golden Boy has any differences with Arum, "It's on them."

We spoke to Schaefer by telephone Wednesday. He was asked to respond to both tweets regarding his boss. He said nothing about Pacquiao-Alvarez. As for the second item, Schaefer said flat-out, "Then I guess it's on me."

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
What the hell is Al Haymon?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Ninja PD posted:

What the hell is Al Haymon?

Deity

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

God drat it boxing.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Josesito Lopez is coming up soon on ESPN if that's your sort of thing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Ninja PD posted:

Josesito Lopez is coming up soon on ESPN if that's your sort of thing.

"You abandoned the fight!" lmao

EDIT: He didn't look too hurt, probably should've at least asked him (Martinez) what he was doing before stopping it

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Ref makes a good point about no standing eight count

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ch3cooh posted:

Ref makes a good point about no standing eight count

Yeah he got caught with a huge shot and probably wasn't long for the fight anyways but that there's no standing eight count in California is-for better or worse-unusually strict rules lawyering.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

standing 8 counts need to be brought back in universally in boxing imo

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Speaking (tangentially) of Espn, Klitschko-Lepai will be on live at 4 (I think) tomorrow.

Espn getting further involved in boxing is a real exciting development.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The SituAsian posted:

Speaking (tangentially) of Espn, Klitschko-Lepai will be on live at 4 (I think) tomorrow.

Espn getting further involved in boxing is a real exciting development.

They seem to be focused on heavyweights, however, which sucks.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Roger Mayweather posted:

On Maidana's style:

"I really never seen Maidana. He had a fight on the other day on TV, but I never seen him. I never seen him at all. But I know what my nephew got to do. And I mean, it's probably a style that he has to adapt to, but that's part of boxing. Part of boxing is you have to adapt to certain styles. Marcos Maidana, I'm sure he don't got something that people haven't seen before. So I figure this, Floyd will adapt to his style, and we go from there.

On not seeing footage of Maidana:

Generally, when a guy is fighting, I generally examine the tapes of the guys my nephew's fighting. But I haven't seen no tape. I've probably seen him today, but I ain't never seen no tape on Marcos Maidana. I seen -- he beat Broner, right? Yeah, but, I seen Broner a couple fights. I seen Broner fight, uh ... Marquez, I think? This was just a little while ago. I seen him fight on TV. Yeah, Paulie Malignaggi. I seen him fight, but I haven't seen this guy. I haven't seen him at all.

It's astounding to consider how good Floyd is now, and then consider how good he might be if his coaches had the brains of a cocker spaniel.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

edit: I'm dumb.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fatherdog posted:

It's astounding to consider how good Floyd is now, and then consider how good he might be if his coaches had the brains of a cocker spaniel.

I like to think he might have bothered a little more if this fight wasn't a cynical cash grab against a guy who has no business getting a shot at Floyd, but at the same time you're probably right.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Wlad is fighting soon. I can really sense the anticipation.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well this is already ridiculous.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Leapai can't touch him.

Pannitierre ain't even sweating it.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 26, 2014

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I hope Putin wins and these jokers are first against the wall

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
And it's over. Why was Leapei in this fight again ?

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Who/what was going on in the crowd?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

leapei won the event

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I just caught the last round of some Polish fight and it was the kind of awesomeslop that should be on ESPN. Whatever Pawel Glazewski is it won.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tonight's card should be pretty exciting, if predictable.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Tonight's card should be pretty exciting, if predictable.

Yeah, Molina became memorable to me after stopping Mickey Bey in the final round of a fight where his main attribute was Tough Motherfucker, we'll see how it works out against an animal on the rebound like Matthysse. If Thurman stops Julio Diaz then it opens up the dialogue for comparisons and potential Porter fight down the line after Brook gets his shot (probably would be smarter to fatten them up and present before Floyd separately, though Thurman first because the Porter rematch would just leave One Time hanging in limbo). Omar Figueroa is a Boxing Champion of one of them lighter divisions, and Jermall Charlo is trying not to be the worse brother all the while remaining completely indistinguishable.

Does anyone know specific start times of certain fights?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo, Figueroa is trying to bring us another fight of the year.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In all of the first 5 rounds of this fight so far Mauro Ranallo has felt the need to tell the viewers when there was only a minute left. Every single round. Shut the gently caress up Maruo that's why there's a loving timer on the screen

e: first 7. He's going for the full dozen

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 27, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
At least he's paying attention maybe?

That's not really the mark of a good announcer or anything but...well I've wondered if some guys even realized where they were.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
This stadium is cool, where are they?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Cool fight, not sure why the crowd was restless; sure, things slowed down, but it was still a good fight.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
That fixing article has messed me up now so that "discrepancies" like this are fine I've decided, Belmontes maybe didn't win but he's now a relevant name and can get another payday.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
JOHN loving MOLINA

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
god damnit

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

Ninja PD posted:

That fixing article has messed me up now so that "discrepancies" like this are fine I've decided, Belmontes maybe didn't win but he's now a relevant name and can get another payday.

If this fight ends on the cut I loving hate you.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Is this fight even loving serious holy poo poo

OMG THEY ARE ENDING IT???

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what a fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009