Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

canelo is already on the back foot so may be gassing already. dunno if angulo's chin and eyebrow will hold up though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It is normal for a guy fighting at a size disadvantage to stand in front of a bigger and better boxer and not move around?

Even in the first round he just sort of stood there and took all these shots and his punches have looked bad all night.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i just don't understand how angulo is loving standing. it does not make any medical sense.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

i just don't understand how angulo is loving standing. it does not make any medical sense.

caveman bones, tiny brain

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
hahaha did he just shoulder roll

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Marching Powder posted:

canelo isn't really a banger. matt hatton is poo poo and a welterweight and went 12 with him

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

^^that too

that shoulder roll was hilarious

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
cool round

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
That poo poo was bananas

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't get boxing scoring sometimes but it seems like Angulo might have won that. Or at least stolen the round.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

The funny thing is that Angulo will likely Outland Alvarez for the next few rounds and it'll be considered a cunning strategy by Canelo :barf:

Edit: or maybe not. Jesus, Angulo is getting rocked.

balancedbias fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 9, 2014

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

1st AD posted:

I don't get boxing scoring sometimes but it seems like Angulo might have won that. Or at least stolen the round.

It was the only remotely competitive round but I would still score it for Canelo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

canelo isn't really a banger.

does he have woopie cushions in his gloves that mimic the sound of hitting people really loving hard?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

hahahaha omg is the ref british

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
..........wow

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Uh....

edit: Virgil was going to stop it anyways gently caress it

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Well, that's a thing I guess...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

One thing that bugs me is the announcers keep harping on the fact that Alvarez didn't throw enough against Floyd. Well, using this fight as a stick is real dumb because Floyd is like 5 times faster than Angulo and Canelo couldn't get off at all in that fight as a result.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Strange place to stop it but kinda glad to see that stopped considering he got absolutely mauled for 10 rounds

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That stoppage is fine, Virgil was gonna stop it himself.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

to be fair to weeks, angulo did not throw a single punch in that entire fight that could have hurt a 15 year old girl and was getting hit with fire the entire time. it stopped being a fight a while ago imo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also despite alvarez's weight issues he didn't do his usual gas out. impressed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Really someone should've stopped it in round 6 when it was clear he couldn't get anything going when Canelo gassed or took the round off or whatever. Like I guess he had a good round 8 but went back to looking like dogshit.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Canelo has guts to act slick and keep his hands down against the slowest man on the planet.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

It's amazing how boxing ALWAYS finds a way to be bullshit no matter how the fight goes

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Just came back from the theater (which had like less than a dozen people :( ) and the stoppage was really just kind of sad. Sad for Angulo because he had the opportunity of a lifetime and was completely lifeless and unprepared. Sad for Canelo because history won't remember him putting on a total clinic but only that he "robbed" Angulo. Sad for Tony Weeks because he made a-in my opinion-justifiable stoppage and is now the most hated man in the sport. And finally sad for boxing because it's just more fuel for the "your sport is dying because of this poo poo" fire.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I have only read this thread and seen that gif and I think that was a perfectly fine stoppage.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Just came back from the theater (which had like less than a dozen people :( ) and the stoppage was really just kind of sad. Sad for Angulo because he had the opportunity of a lifetime and was completely lifeless and unprepared. Sad for Canelo because history won't remember him putting on a total clinic but only that he "robbed" Angulo. Sad for Tony Weeks because he made a-in my opinion-justifiable stoppage and is now the most hated man in the sport. And finally sad for boxing because it's just more fuel for the "your sport is dying because of this poo poo" fire.

Nobody is going to remember that Canelo robbed Angulo. Perro got his rear end kicked. What might be more worrying for Canelo is whether or not this PPV sold well at all outside of Mexico.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Ninth Layer posted:

Nobody is going to remember that Canelo robbed Angulo. Perro got his rear end kicked. What might be more worrying for Canelo is whether or not this PPV sold well at all outside of Mexico.

Does it matter? Canelo can fight the winner of Cotto-Martinez (or even just Cotto if he loses) for a jillion dollars. Putting this on PPV was, I think, chiefly an experiment by GB to measure Canelo's A-side earning potential in a vacuum. Even if it dramatically underperforms (thereby demonstrating the need for a better A-side, or a more compelling B-side), I expect he'll still be getting multi-million dollar purses to fight guys like Lara and Molina on regular Showtime.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Groves is now saying he won't fight Froch if they use UK officials.

Even the British fear "the British".

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

couldn't get a ticket :(

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I'll try to make it a goal to update the schedule every week obviously removing events that have happened and new events that have been announced. Obviously the most prominent is Juan Manuel Marquez vs Mike Alvarado May 17th at the Forum in Inglewood-mainly known for being where the Lakers played like a billion years ago. Winner fights the winners of Pacquiao-Bradley so it's a mini tournament of sorts which is kinda cool. Ruslan Provodnikov is going to probably fight Antonio DeMarco next which is all kinds of :confused: and obviously he needs to jump poo poo to Golden Boy and go up against Matthyse.

In other news this weekend is headlined by Danny Garcia vs Mauricio Herrea in Bayamon, Puerto Rico on Showtime in a pretty blatant attempt to crown Garcia the next great champion of Puerto Rico after Miguel Cotto. Herrera is the only man other than Bradley to beat Provodnikov-and even that was pretty debatable-but whatever. The undercard is actually pretty decent for a non PPV with Juanma against Daniel Ponce De Leon with the winner probably getting a crack at the winner of the Jhonny Gonzalez-Abner Mares rematch or even Leo Santa Cruz is the whole thing with Carl Frampton falls apart. Also Deontay Wilder is fighting Malik Scott and he'll probably get a super cool knockout.

Also, Canelo vs Angulo ended up doing 350k buys which beat all expectations considering it was Canelo's first time headlining a PPV, with a undercard that was poor on paper and even worse after it happened no less.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/3/14/5509448/canelo-vs-angulo-does-350000-pay-per-view-buys

EDIT: Also nice promo pic for the Kovalev fight HBO

:negative:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 15, 2014

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Who tf is Cedric Agnew

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He beat Yusaf Mack! Who's...lost to a fair amount of guys who have names.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

that keep calm meme needs to do one

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Lionel Richie posted:

Who tf is Cedric Agnew

As noted by Grittybeard he has beaten Yusuf Mack who has been beaten by (among others) Tavoris Cloud, Glen Johnson and Carl Froch so you could use the transitive property to give him all sorts of 'by x degrees' wins. Also he's based out of Chicago so if I were to go to one our wonderful local strip clubs there's a non zero probability I would encounter Cedric Agnew as a bouncer.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I forgot Kell Brook was fighting today. I don't know anything about Alvaro Robles but he's got a bunch of KOs so the fight should be short and sweet either way. But most of all, prepare yourselves to witness the rise of Crusierweight Bellew!

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

kell brook's career is verging on irrelevant these days

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He's got a world title shot next, honest this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Did I miss Brook?