Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Canelo had to pay Angulo 100k to move the weight limit up to 155. There will be additional fines if he weighs in over 168 this morning (no such penalty for Angulo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Fuckin lol. Time to get fed to ggg or kovalev.

HBO, homie. Ain't gunna happen.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Groves is now saying he won't fight Froch if they use UK officials.

Even the British fear "the British".

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Bob Arum (who never lies) says that JCC Jr. has been presented with an offer to fight GGG in July.

http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-chavez-jr-presented-with-golovkin-deal-7-12--75827

:pray:

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The SituAsian posted:

Most recent news is that the undercard of Mayweather-Maidana is shaping with Amir Khan against Luis Collazo and Adrien Broner vs (NON-sex offender) Carlos Molina which actually makes sense since Khan-Broner right now by itself is probably big enough that it could almost be a fringe PPV and if they both win it should be a bit more than that.

Khan is seemingly under the impression that if he beats Collazo, he gets Mayweather, so he'd probably be very obnoxious about fighting Broner even though Khan-Broner would be a much more interesting fight.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The Ninth Layer posted:

Mayweather undercard is half decent, I actually think Khan-Collazo is a pick em fight. I'll probably buy it even if the main event will be a whitewash. Imo the fight that would have set up a September foe for Floyd would have been Khan Garcia 2 at welterweight but this is good too I suppose.

I don't care what Manny says there's no way he will fight all 36 minutes against a mover like Bradley with the same ease he beat Rios. I have no idea how the rematch will play out I'm just stoked that I'll get to see it live. War Timmy!!!

Sucks that we won't see Stevenson vs Kovalev any time soon though :(

Edit GGG vs Chavez is a fantastic fight if it gets made. I'm hyped for Marquez vs Alvarado too. Finally some good fights showing up in 2014!!!

I get the impression Garcia isn't super eager to fight Floyd.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Ninja PD posted:

Theoretically he has the speed to actually land a few punches unlike every Floyd opponent since Zab and anyone that's out there right now (under GB).

This, combined with the almost inevitably hilarious knockout once Floyd starts timing him, also makes me want this fight.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

TresTristesTigres posted:

Adonis Stevenson piece of poo poo.

Yeah, thread title change.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Here's a fairly interesting interview with Kenny Bayless about being a referee: http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles-frontpage/18196-the-tss-q-n-a-referee-kenny-bayless-

He has some interesting things to say about what goes through his mind when he stops a fight.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
So Canelo has asked Golden Boy for Erislandy Lara on July 12th, and said he doesn't give a gently caress about Lara's WBA "Regular" 154 belt and won't pay a sanctioning fee.

I like Canelo.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

Far too long to quote, but this is a fascinating piece about fight-fixing in boxing.

http://deadspin.com/why-i-fixed-fights-1535114232

This was excellent. Thanks.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The SituAsian posted:

Kinda makes sense since there is (supposedly was but who know) a split within Golden Boy between Oscar and Richard Schafer with Canelo being closer to Oscar and Floyd, Broner, etc. with Schafer.

I'd say the split continues: http://www.boxingscene.com/insider-notebook-schaefer-chavez-vs-golovkin-more--77031

Richard Schaefer posted:

A second tweet had De La Hoya saying that if anyone at Golden Boy has any differences with Arum, "It's on them."

We spoke to Schaefer by telephone Wednesday. He was asked to respond to both tweets regarding his boss. He said nothing about Pacquiao-Alvarez. As for the second item, Schaefer said flat-out, "Then I guess it's on me."

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Ninja PD posted:

What the hell is Al Haymon?

Deity

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The SituAsian posted:

Speaking (tangentially) of Espn, Klitschko-Lepai will be on live at 4 (I think) tomorrow.

Espn getting further involved in boxing is a real exciting development.

They seem to be focused on heavyweights, however, which sucks.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
On the golden boy/TR front, rumors are flying that Schaefer is out after May 3. What the gently caress happens next, who knows.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The Ninth Layer posted:

It seems to me the most likely outcome is that Oscar takes Canelo and maybe Mares back to HBO for matches with the Cotto/Martinez winner and Donaire, Al Haymon makes his own promotional company or folds his stable into Mayweather Promotions, and the promotional Cold War continues between the networks much as it has been.

It really depends on whether GBP actually has a lot of those Haymon fighters under contract or not. If they don't then I can't really blame Oscar for wanting Schaefer axed, it'd be a huge gently caress-up from GBP's perspective. Al Haymon has all those Showtime fighters signed and it sounds like he's ready to make his official move into promotion any day now, but he still needs a front guy like Schaefer so that he can stay out of the limelight...

Interesting developments to say the least.

One problem that's been pointed out is that Schaefer almost surely has a non-compete clause in his current contract, so he likely can't immediately team up with Haymon.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

thehappyprince posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/461533803362525185

bit weird that khan is getting the same as maidana. i'm guessing maidana is on a percentage of the gate and ppv tho maybe?

That Guerrero got 3 million makes Chino's purse kind of shameful.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

KidDynamite posted:

Floyd posted a sonogram picture and said the reason he broke up with Miss Jackson was that she got an abortion. I've never wanted to see Floyd lose before this. What a frustrating feeling knowing he's the best. Going to be interesting how I score rounds now.

It's genuinely impossible to like that dude. For gently caress's sake.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ozymandius1024 posted:

So wait, is this one of those JJ Redick or Arian Foster deals where he harassed her to get one, or did he break up with her simply because she got one?

Cause I feel like the second one isn't really a horrible thing if you were really pumped about having kids with her.

Blowing her up on instagram about it would be, though.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ozymandius1024 posted:

Hadn't really thought of it that way. Yeah, that's pretty horrible.

Why can't Keith Thurman be good enough for a Floyd fight? I know if it ever happened he'd probably get schooled like Canelo did, but the dreams of Floyd getting the gently caress knocked out of him are just too glorious.

I think a Shawn Porter fight could also be kind of interesting.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I'd like to point out that Virgil Hunter has managed to get Khan to fight like Andre Ward in at least one respect.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Literal circus

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

thehappyprince posted:

didn't cotto cut floyd too?

lol let's do it again! *sees the ppv numbers* oh nvm

Nosebleed in the cotto fight

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, but he still lost the first time.

I appreciate the amount of pleasure you get from reminding people of this.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Possibly, but he points that out with glee every time Floyd's record comes up.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Marching Powder posted:

wikipedia says that geale is supposed to be fighting macklin next. my sports betting account has geale / ggg as happening. what's going on?

I think ggg was left looking for an opponent after Chavez fell through, and they want geale. Negotiations have apparently begun for that, because geale wants to die, but he's still currently set to fight Macklin. That's my rough understanding.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Lionel Richie posted:

No it's just that literally no one wants to fight him so we've got to get imaginative

He's not a very big 160 and has said before he could make 154. Which I'm sure everybody at 154 would be thrilled about.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Predictably, Floyd (and presumably every other Haymon fighter without a GB contract, which is reportedly most of them) has left GB.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

KidDynamite posted:

I always thought it was pretty stupid for Golden Boy not to have signed any of the Haymon fighters. Oscar left a hole open and got hosed.

Oscar was off doing blow and wearing fishnets and I suspect Schaffer saw it as some form of escape hatch if things went to poo poo. Unlike Oscar, Schaffer shows no indication of being an idiot in matters of business.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

thehappyprince posted:

so floyd - pac can happen now right guys??

I know you are kidding but Schaffer and Haymon were always the two biggest opponents within GB to dealing with Arum, so given that Floyd is going to team up with them, the answer is a resounding "nope".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The most astonishing thing about those stats is that Angulo appeared to be inert dogshit while throwing over 70 punches/round.

• Locked thread