Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Ioannis can eat a scabby dick. Too whistle-happy. On the plus side I got to call him a loving scab to his face. And almost was the first person ejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Jairo Arrieta scored a goal, and wasn't offside.

What in the actual gently caress is happening?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

It's been too long since I've seen Regular Refs. I can't remember if the new guys were any worse. I guess Dallas's PK was pretty soft.

Also, RSL's color commentator on their local channel is a weedy-voiced homer who makes me ashamed to be a person who watches soccer.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Captain Trips posted:

Jairo Arrieta scored a goal, and wasn't offside.

What in the actual gently caress is happening?

Well he was ahead of the last defenders, he was just lucky enough to have the guy passing it to him be in the same situation this time :v:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Losing to a blown offside call while simultaneously missing about 12 sure goals really loving sucks. And of course Keane misses the PK. Becuase God won't let me have good things.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Losing to a blown offside call while simultaneously missing about 12 sure goals really loving sucks. And of course Keane misses the PK. Becuase God won't let me have good things.

Plata was so clearly onside that even Cobi 'Homersauce' Jones admitted he was onside.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

UZworm posted:

The guy who did Philly-Portland didn't seem to do that bad of a job.

There were a couple of calls that I disagreed with (Fernandez handball after getting pushed from behind and the ball making contact with his hand as he was falling), and a couple of calls that everybody else disagreed with but were the correct call (Valeri handball in the box).

So all in all, a normal MLS match.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Nostradingus posted:

Also, RSL's color commentator on their local channel is a weedy-voiced homer who makes me ashamed to be a person who watches soccer.

All the home team's announcers are total homers (except maybe the Canadian teams since they come from TSN).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

DC doesn't have announcers, we can't afford them. We just listen to other team's goobers the whole time.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

No idea who was reffing the Sounders match, but his performance was such that I heard someone behind me cry out "You make me miss Salazar!"

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Isn't Brian Dunseth the RSL play by play? He's decent on national games, but holy poo poo are his RSL broadcasts awful.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

The Light Eternal posted:

Ioannis can eat a scabby dick. Too whistle-happy. On the plus side I got to call him a loving scab to his face. And almost was the first person ejected.

Being ejected from the stands by Abbey Okulaja would be a lifelong point of pride for me.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

UZworm posted:

Plata was so clearly onside that even Cobi 'Homersauce' Jones admitted he was onside.

Edit: not worth it.

Should have been 12-0 at that point anyway had we finished.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 9, 2014

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

whypick1 posted:

All the home team's announcers are total homers (except maybe the Canadian teams since they come from TSN).

Like Highme said in the GDT, I miss Strong so much. Arlo, too.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Hungryjack posted:

Being ejected from the stands by Abbey Okulaja would be a lifelong point of pride for me.

Ioannis only made a gesture at me, it was security who told me to cut it out (I didn't). But getting booted by the ref would be amazing.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

El Jebus posted:

Like Highme said in the GDT, I miss Strong so much. Arlo, too.

I was worried about Strong taking over for Arlo on the NBC games, but I gotta admit he's been doing a pretty good job, and Earle doesn't seem as bad as I remember him from the Timbers gig.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

The Light Eternal posted:

Ioannis only made a gesture at me, it was security who told me to cut it out (I didn't). But getting booted by the ref would be amazing.

Settle down before you give 20,000 people a bad name.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
The replacement refs being "whistle-happy" is what this league needs. MLS players have constantly gotten away with way too much poo poo that'd be a foul anywhere else. And yes I know the irony of this being a huge Osvaldo Alonso fan.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I see the Union are still giving up stoppage time goals like they're going out of style

God loving dammit :smith:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Man, I loved Ben Olsen as a player but I'm not sure I can do another season with his tactics. There was a lot of improvement on the field last night in terms of just quality of player (not that the bar was very high, at all....), but the tactics are just not..good. Impossibly frustrating to watch and as soon as we conceded I knew it was pretty much over.

At least I got to hang out with some goons. Oh, and the city jacked up parking by another $5, making it $20 to park now. If my son had come to the game with us, it would have been $100 for 3 tickets and parking, not even thinking of food we bought to grill or concessions inside the stadium. DC United prices are awful. They don't control the parking, I know, but whatever.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 9, 2014

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

DOOP posted:

I see the Union are still giving up stoppage time goals like they're going out of style

God loving dammit :smith:

I wanted to die. I still want to die.

It's going to be a long season.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Was Taters posted:

So which of the replacement refs did an OK job today? I thought Kelly was pretty good, if a little whistlehappy.

Okulaja was a bit card-happy, I think, but really his worst call was reversed by an AR anyway and it wasn't NEARLY as badly-reffed a game as I was expecting.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Okulaja was a bit card-happy, I think, but really his worst call was reversed by an AR anyway and it wasn't NEARLY as badly-reffed a game as I was expecting.

Was he able to physically follow the pace of the game?

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Hungryjack posted:

Was he able to physically follow the pace of the game?

Not really, no. He missed a lot of behind the play poo poo too, like Reo-Coker being nutted at the very end.

Demerit running around body checking everyone was my personal highlight of the night.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

At one point late in the game he also totally ate poo poo when he slipped and fell down. It almost looked like he was attempting a slide tackle on a player with the ball.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

double sulk posted:

I wanted to die. I still want to die.

It's going to be a long season.

If watching that game made you think we are going to have a bad season I don't even know what to say

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
If you would've told me in November that I would wake up the morning after the season opener with this much optimism, I would've laughed in your face.

Go Crew.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

NattyBo posted:

Man, I loved Ben Olsen as a player but I'm not sure I can do another season with his tactics. There was a lot of improvement on the field last night in terms of just quality of player (not that the bar was very high, at all....), but the tactics are just not..good. Impossibly frustrating to watch and as soon as we conceded I knew it was pretty much over.

At least I got to hang out with some goons. Oh, and the city jacked up parking by another $5, making it $20 to park now. If my son had come to the game with us, it would have been $100 for 3 tickets and parking, not even thinking of food we bought to grill or concessions inside the stadium. DC United prices are awful. They don't control the parking, I know, but whatever.

Go from Benning Road and pretend you're going to the farmer's market, and then keep driving to Lot 8. I did this all last year. I am probably a criminal.

Captain Trips posted:

If you would've told me in November that I would wake up the morning after the season opener with this much optimism, I would've laughed in your face.

Go Crew.

You played DC. Calm down.

Your Boy Fancy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 9, 2014

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

If watching that game made you think we are going to have a bad season I don't even know what to say

The counterattacks looked great and so did the offense in general, but there were some really sketchy/outright dumb defensive breakdowns which are hopefully more indicative of it being a first game. Either way I still don't think it's justifiable to let three points get away like that with a horribly defended final set piece.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Just got a chance to watch all of the game highlights from yesterday. Holy poo poo Vancouver :stare:

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

Yeah, while getting 3 points would've been nice, 1 point in Portland isn't that easy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So I have MLS Live and there's a DirectKick preview anyway and it didn't matter, but no local station carried DC's match last night, and despite the home game the feed was from Columbus. Does this mean DCU hosed up the TV deal, again?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

double sulk posted:

The counterattacks looked great and so did the offense in general, but there were some really sketchy/outright dumb defensive breakdowns which are hopefully more indicative of it being a first game. Either way I still don't think it's justifiable to let three points get away like that with a horribly defended final set piece.

Stealing that point was amazing, but either team should and could have put that game to bed much earlier on. Philly should have capitalized on Paparatto's many mistakes and Portland should have converted one of their many multi-pass attempts in Philly's box (and Kah should have headed that in!). I blame the rain.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

guppy posted:

So I have MLS Live and there's a DirectKick preview anyway and it didn't matter, but no local station carried DC's match last night, and despite the home game the feed was from Columbus. Does this mean DCU hosed up the TV deal, again?

Just get one of those programs/extensions that blocks your location. I was able to stream the game on MLS live no problem, but if you use something like Hola! for local TV, it will also be effective.

Our TV deal is most definitely hosed, and that is primarily the reason we threw a hail Mary for the radio deal.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Like I said, it worked fine for me, and if they ever get a TV deal finalized I have cable anyway. I am only interested as a marker of how hosed up we are as an organization.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

guppy posted:

Like I said, it worked fine for me, and if they ever get a TV deal finalized I have cable anyway. I am only interested as a marker of how hosed up we are as an organization.

Pretty hosed up.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

whypick1 posted:

Homer? Who is homer?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

My name is Joey Joe Joe Jr. Shabadoo

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
My friend saw Kevin Payne in line at the will call box at RFK. He (KP) asked a DCU employee if it was the VIP line or not. The employee did not know, so KP got back in the regular line. And then got to the ticket box and said his name loudly, like, "I'm picking up my tickets for KEVIN PAYNE".

All very :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Yaaaay, our dumb league is back! :neckbeard:

• Locked thread