Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The baseless missions always were my absolute favourite, because even as a kid I thought building the bases was just tedium. Now if only the units didn't move so sluggishly!

Also, I'd always take over the Nod base at the end for shits and giggles. In fact, I'd always take over any base in any mission. Engineer power, yo. Oh, and I'd always destroy every single civilian building by force-attacking.

I might also be misremembering severely, but isn't there some goodie (like full-health or whatever) in that yellow truck in the village?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Humm, maybe it was in later games, but I distinctly remember that building more unit producers lets you build those units faster. With diminishing returns, but faster. Same with multiple Construction yards and buildings.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This game is my favorite C&C by far; mostly because of the style but also because the physics and units are so goddamn wonky. You can dig trenches with explosions, some weapons straight-up don't work on elevation - there's a ton of stuff to be messed around with I just loved discovering as a kid. It's also got by far the hammiest cutscenes, which is by no means a bad thing.
Tiberium Wars, while objectively a better game, felt a massive letdown after this one for me; the units and mechanics just weren't anywhere near quirky enough.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Zebrin posted:

Humm, maybe it was in later games, but I distinctly remember that building more unit producers lets you build those units faster. With diminishing returns, but faster. Same with multiple Construction yards and buildings.

It is a feature they added in Red Alert 2, the game right after Tiberian Sun.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I might also be misremembering severely, but isn't there some goodie (like full-health or whatever) in that yellow truck in the village?

Almost every truck with a 'filled' back like that has goodiecrates throughout the campaign. there's only a few that don't.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SovietPotatoe posted:

It is a feature they added in Red Alert 2, the game right after Tiberian Sun.
Nope. It was definitely present in Red Alert 1, possibly others as well.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Nope. It was definitely present in Red Alert 1, possibly others as well.

I went and tested it and it seems that the war factory and only the war factory stacks. Multiple barracks don't. I updated the unit list accordingly.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I'm loving this LP, Tiberian Sun was pretty much the first RTS I played by myself having just seen a friend play some earlier C&C games. I don't think I ever finished either of the campaigns because I'm terrible at RTSs where you can't just pause the game and issue commands to units/buildings at leisure, so I'm interested to know where the plot goes.

On a side note, is that a Slovakian accent that you have? I can't quite place it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Arelon posted:

I don't think I ever finished either of the campaigns because I'm terrible at RTSs I didn't flood the map with Titans.

The easiest way to beat the GDI campaign is build mass titans. Rarely does it not work when you have a legion of them. :iia:

For the NOD campaign you can cheese the crap out of it by using a subterranean APC filled with engineers, send it to a base (With an Obelisk of light), capture a building and immediately place the the OoL.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

:siren:Update:siren:
Mission 3b: Secure Crash Site

Bonus Video
Tiberian Sun Installation Jobbo_Fett recorded the game's installation for us which features some nifty newspaper articles from the first C&C game.

Arelon posted:

On a side note, is that a Slovakian accent that you have? I can't quite place it.

I'm a Russian who moved to Germany a few years ago so it's probably somewhere between those.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought you sounded a bit Russian. That'd be really awesome for a Red Alert lp, you know. :)

The train in the beginning of that mission never made sense to me. Just, why?

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

I was actually thinking about a Red Alert LP at some point but only if I can overcome my crippling inability to talk to myself and learn how to make commentary that isn't terrible :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Poil posted:

The train in the beginning of that mission never made sense to me. Just, why?

That always confused me as well, best guess is that if you don't capture it previously then a bunch of reinforcements are at the Nod base make things a little trickier. What I am REALLY curious about is our next sub-mission -> real mission choice because I don't know if I have ever seen anyone try to immediately play the real mission without doing the sub-mission first

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Aces High posted:

What I am REALLY curious about is our next sub-mission -> real mission choice because I don't know if I have ever seen anyone try to immediately play the real mission without doing the sub-mission first

If you're referring to the Destroy Radar Array vs. Rescue Tratos mission choice, then skipping the secondary mission will give you a timer in the main mission.

Most Tib Sun secondary missions have some little effect like that. One of the many reasons why this is my favorite C&C game, although I know I'm probably in the minority.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

This was one of the first computer games I've ever played (I'm 24, just a late starter). I was pretty hyped to get ready for nostalgia fever when I saw it on disc in a gaming magazine recently - which was of course a rip-off, it had already been freeware at that point!

Then I played it, got to this mission, realized how incredibly slow everything was...waiting for the money to tick up, buildings to come into being, moving poo poo around the map and with the best tactic always being MORE TANKS.

I don't think the game has aged well.

But I must have played through it like three times at the very least back in the day, and that counts for something. It WAS a lot of fun, and I'll be happy to follow you along!

MORE TANKS is the best strategy for most C&C games. Infantry isn't useless per se, but they usually don't scale well - in a small fight infantry can beat an equivalent value of armour but in a big fight they inevitably lose... so infantry is only good for early defence.

This means most campaign missions basically involved sitting back and building up an overwhelming force of one or two units, and then steam-rolling everything. But despite that I think the games are very good at creating interesting mission scenarios (some of the C&C1 Covert Ops missions felt totally insane, "I've got ONE DUDE and the enemy has FIVE BASES?!?"), it's just that resolving those scenarios usually came down to the same strategy.

I kind of think of C&C as being the opposite to Total Annihilation. Total Annihilation has great mechanics but it's bit bland, where as C&C is kinda unbalanced but it's full of flavour.

your evil twin posted:

I'm a big C&C fan, and I did like Tiberian Sun, but it is my least favourite C&C game.

The main reason was that everything was so brown and bleak. I didn't mind the fact that the game was set decades after C&C1 and that there was lots of sci-fi stuff, but in both Command & Conquer and Red Alert most of the maps were nice green grass and forest environments (with a few maps that were bright yellow/orange desert, or bright white snow). While in Tiberian Sun it was a post-apocalptic wasteland.

Also tanks were a big part of Command & Conquer, but in Tiberian Sun there is just one tank - the Nod tick tank - and everything else is mechs or other types of vehicle. So while I'm cool with there being lots of sci-fi, Tiberian Sun felt like it was an entirely different setting. A bunch of mechs stomping across a wasteland just doesn't feel the same as a bunch of tanks rolling across a field.

On the other hand, they did do a really good job of creating that post-apocalyptic wasteland, with loads of great details. The graphics didn't seem dated to me at the time, and indeed I think they still hold up well today compared to other games with crude 3D models. And if they had gone with polygons, it wouldn't have LOOKED like Command & Conquer, because 3D models just weren't detailed enough. I thought the story was decent and I really liked what they did with the Tiberium, and all the mutants, and the areas that had been transformed by Tiberium into alien jungles.

When EA did C&C 3: Tiberium Wars, I think they did a great job of nailing the setting, it felt like what Tiberian Sun should have been. There was a mixture of tanks and mechs, and the world was divided into blue, yellow and red zones; the blue zones were wealthy first-world countries that were able to keep the Tiberium at bay, so you still had green environments and cities and so on, the blue zones felt like the world of C&C1. The yellow zones were third world countries that were mostly under Nod control and which had big problems with tiberium infestation. The red zones were areas where the Tiberium had completely taken over and were wastelands inhospitable to human life. It worked really well, and I wish that Westwood had come up with that zones idea when doing Tiberian Sun. It's just a shame that EA messed up the storyline of C&C3 by changing the Tiberium. It used to be an alien lifeform that leeched minerals out of the ground (making it a useful resource) but was actually terraforming the planet and mutating plants and animals into alien creatures; instead EA changed it to some self-replicating radioactive crystal that could be used as nuclear fuel. And so there weren't any alien jungles, just big crystal formations.

Take the gameplay and varied environments of C&C3, and combine them with the plotline of Tiberian Sun, and you'd have the perfect sequel to C&C1.

Tiberian Sun is probably one of my less favourite C&C games too, though I haven't played some of the more recent ones. RA and C&C1 are probably my favourite and I guess what I like about them is that you have a mostly grounded setting with a couple of crazy special units.

I know what a humvee is, I know what a tank is, I know what an APC is, I know what an artillery is, I know what a helicopter is. Without any explanation I can understand how those units work.. that's how negligible barrier the barrier to entry is there, but when you move over to every vehicle being a hovercraft or a mech then their properties and usefulness aren't so intuitive. And yeah like you say, watching a bunch of mechs storm across a battlefield isn't quite the same as watching a bunch of tanks.

I like sci-fi in general, but for strategy games I think it's more accessible when things have obvious real world parallels. I mean things like Synthmetal Sentinels and Trained Chaos Rovers have meaningful names, but that's still less transparent than Gun Turrets and Tanks (Alpha Centauri is TBS rather than RTS, but I don't think that distinction matters when talking just about names). But having a small number of special units helped keep things interesting even if most of them were a little gimmicky.

Also did anybody else just play toy-soldiers in the skirmish mode? Beating the AI isn't important, what really matters is building the biggest baddest base the world has ever seen. Or the biggest baddest base the world has NEVER seen after I get my stealth generators operational. Then you wall off a big tiberium field and march infantry through it until they turn into monsters, because I guess I was role playing as the Umbrella Corporation or something.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Unload My Head posted:

If you're referring to the Destroy Radar Array vs. Rescue Tratos mission choice, then skipping the secondary mission will give you a timer in the main mission.

Most Tib Sun secondary missions have some little effect like that. One of the many reasons why this is my favorite C&C game, although I know I'm probably in the minority.

I do know about the timer since it immediately starts with your group being detected and the timer starting instead of the timer starting when you get to the base but I meant if other things changed because I recall an important bridge being destroyed if you go direct but I can't confirm since I don't have the game in an accessible form

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Elite posted:

Also did anybody else just play toy-soldiers in the skirmish mode? Beating the AI isn't important, what really matters is building the biggest baddest base the world has ever seen. Or the biggest baddest base the world has NEVER seen after I get my stealth generators operational. Then you wall off a big tiberium field and march infantry through it until they turn into monsters, because I guess I was role playing as the Umbrella Corporation or something.

Haha, I used to do the same thing, I'd wall off Tiberium fields and turn them into Visceroid farms. And as NOD I would put my troops into a walled-in area and then launch a chem missile at my own guys. Except I used to do in the story campaign! Create a ton of Visceroids and then unleash them and hope they wreck the enemy base rather than your own.

Also, I thought Command & Conquer Renegade was pretty OK until I got the Chem Sprayer. Killing enemies by covering them into toxic Tiberium waste, which had a random chance of sometimes mutating enemies into Visceroids instead of killing them... then it became THE BEST GAME.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I once designed the PERFECT BASE* on paper during class. Never built it because gently caress waiting for the building timer to tick down.

*might actually have been an impractical piece of poo poo with incredibly glaring holes in its defenses

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
A very interesting thing about this game is that in case of a loss you also get an alternate version of the 'win' video. When I noticed that, I always lost every mission deliberately once just to see that video as well.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nuramor posted:

A very interesting thing about this game is that in case of a loss you also get an alternate version of the 'win' video. When I noticed that, I always lost every mission deliberately once just to see that video as well.

They sometimes use the same ones several times or very generic ones. But yes, sometimes you get very cool alternative ones :).

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
One of the things that disappointed me about the later games is that when you won or lost a mission you didn't get all those little movies of tanks or infantry doing stuff. In C&C1, Red Alert and Tiberium Sun the movies were like your "reward" for beating a mission. Made you feel like the normal gameplay was just a sort of user-interface for the commander, while the movie sequences was a glimpse of the real action! But Red Alert 2, C&C3 Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3 had hardly any of that.

When EA did C&C3 they explained that with HD video it wasn't really feasible to create lots of those sorts of cutscenes since so much time, effort (and money) would have to go into making all the computer-generated vehicles and action look good. (So they did good briefing videos, and then a few action videos here and there, but not after every mission.)

But when Westwood did Tiberium Sun they didn't have the good sense to realise that, and so they blew a massive amount of money on all the movie sequences. Perhaps if they'd spent less on the movies they might have made a better game... but since the movies were my favourite thing about C&C1 and Red Alert, I don't mind, the fact that it had so much love and attention gone into the movies is what made it a true C&C sequel.

Simply Simon posted:

I once designed the PERFECT BASE* on paper during class. Never built it because gently caress waiting for the building timer to tick down.

*might actually have been an impractical piece of poo poo with incredibly glaring holes in its defenses

That's what the rules.ini file is for. Make all those buildings dirt cheap and build your perfect base in minutes! (Though building the perfect base the "proper" way is probably more satisfying.)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They sometimes use the same ones several times or very generic ones. But yes, sometimes you get very cool alternative ones :).

One of those specific missions will live down in my memory as the worst mission for GDI but at the same time the sweetest reward for such a chore of a mission. Then you play the Nod campaign and get to the corresponding mission and I was all like "it's that loving cutscene again, gently caress that mission :rant:"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aces High posted:

One of those specific missions will live down in my memory as the worst mission for GDI but at the same time the sweetest reward for such a chore of a mission. Then you play the Nod campaign and get to the corresponding mission and I was all like "it's that loving cutscene again, gently caress that mission :rant:"

The biggest cop out is the video of a waving flag. No background, few colors and nothing special at all. I can't remember which missions ever play it, but suffice to say losing on those ones was an extra "Take that!" by the devs :kheldragar:

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

:siren:Update:siren:
Mission 4: Defend Crash Site

Also it's funny you should mention the cutscenes for failed missions because that is today's bonus video
GDI Loss

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, the Scrin ship. Still looks better than anything EA managed to come up with for them in CnC3.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I actually remember playing this mission as a kid and managed to fail it due to an enemy engineer from a sub apc capturing the ship. I also remember a shitload of Tick Tanks going after me in the mission in the first place.

Also a Devil's Tongue shows up waaay late in the mission to even matter. That would've wrecked any infantry in the area.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

InfinityComplex posted:

Also a Devil's Tongue shows up waaay late in the mission to even matter. That would've wrecked any infantry in the area.

Don'tcha just love when a Devil's Tongue shows up and breathes right into your Disk Thrower squad and KABLAMO! Gold Glittery Guts everywhere!

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

InfinityComplex posted:

I actually remember playing this mission as a kid and managed to fail it due to an enemy engineer from a sub apc capturing the ship. I also remember a shitload of Tick Tanks going after me in the mission in the first place.

Were you playing on hard difficulty maybe? Its been years since I played that so I have no idea what it actually does.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I'm honestly not sure. I only remember the difficulty in clearing it and the Nod units that were causing me to fail the mission.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Bah, back in RA1 I made maps specifically designed to accommodate my perfect bases. But in RA1 you built walls 1 piece at a time (rather than sequential pieces stretching out to cover a ~5 tile range) and they used the same build queue as normal structures. And unlike later games in the series you couldn't save skirmish matches (I think this function was introduced in Firestorm).

I don't remember having much success making Tiberian Sun maps though. Although I do remember spamming those stupid pavements everywhere to prevent prime base real-estate getting turned into an ugly useless crater from one big explosion.

your evil twin posted:

One of the things that disappointed me about the later games is that when you won or lost a mission you didn't get all those little movies of tanks or infantry doing stuff. In C&C1, Red Alert and Tiberium Sun the movies were like your "reward" for beating a mission. Made you feel like the normal gameplay was just a sort of user-interface for the commander, while the movie sequences was a glimpse of the real action! But Red Alert 2, C&C3 Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3 had hardly any of that.

When EA did C&C3 they explained that with HD video it wasn't really feasible to create lots of those sorts of cutscenes since so much time, effort (and money) would have to go into making all the computer-generated vehicles and action look good. (So they did good briefing videos, and then a few action videos here and there, but not after every mission.)

But when Westwood did Tiberium Sun they didn't have the good sense to realise that, and so they blew a massive amount of money on all the movie sequences. Perhaps if they'd spent less on the movies they might have made a better game... but since the movies were my favourite thing about C&C1 and Red Alert, I don't mind, the fact that it had so much love and attention gone into the movies is what made it a true C&C sequel.

Something I really hated in Generals is they ditched the FMV cutscenes and instead explained the missions with annoying in-engine scenes. FMV gets a bad rap a lot of the time but I thought they worked here whilst the in-engine scenes were long, boring and IIRC often-unskippable. I mean why would anyone want to watch units marching about if they aren't controlling them.. oh.

your evil twin posted:

That's what the rules.ini file is for. Make all those buildings dirt cheap and build your perfect base in minutes! (Though building the perfect base the "proper" way is probably more satisfying.)

I remember fiddling with the .ini files to add Parabombs back into RA1 Skirmish.

During testing I set it for a 0.1 second cooldown just to check it worked properly. "Okay nice it works. Well I'll play on a bit and OH GOD there's a conga-line of 50 bombers heading towards my base."

There were no survivors.

Well it kinda seems like I'm treating this as an all-purpose C&C Nostalgia-fest, soo uhh in an effort to be a little more on topic do you have any thoughts about showing the multiplayer?

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Elite posted:

Well it kinda seems like I'm treating this as an all-purpose C&C Nostalgia-fest, soo uhh in an effort to be a little more on topic do you have any thoughts about showing the multiplayer?

Eh, I'm fine with some general C&C talk as long as you don't go on page-long discussions about RA1 strategies or whatever. Regarding multiplayer I've been thinking about showing off a skirmish and maybe some multiplayer if some goon volunteers though Tiberian Sun MP could drag on for hours at times. The multiplayer maps for this game are huge.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SovietPotatoe posted:

Eh, I'm fine with some general C&C talk as long as you don't go on page-long discussions about RA1 strategies or whatever. Regarding multiplayer I've been thinking about showing off a skirmish and maybe some multiplayer if some goon volunteers though Tiberian Sun MP could drag on for hours at times. The multiplayer maps for this game are huge.

Depends on when you do it, but I'd be game.

And if the game lasts over an hour, you're all doing it wrong.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

if we do multiplayer we need to play on Tundra, or when we get to Firestorm we have max settings for the veinholes :unsmigghh:

Hover/flying unit supremacy

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes, Banshees. They obliterate any unit... As long as it doesn't move.
Still the coolest looking plane I've ever seen.

edit: Or you could be boring and use hovers and bombers. I guess. But Nod air matches are amazing just because how ineffective their planes are.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 13, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Or you could be boring and use hovers and bombers. I guess. But Nod air matches are amazing just because how ineffective their planes are.

Carryalls bro! Take that Mammoth Mk2 right into the enemy base and another with an amph APC with engineers :getin:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Any discussion of the coolest unit which doesn't mention the Cyborg Commando is just objectively wrong. :colbert:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Elite posted:

Any discussion of the coolest unit which doesn't mention the Cyborg Commando is just objectively wrong. :colbert:

That's because we were talking about flying/hovering units. Cyborg Commando's only weakness is massed Titans, and that he doesn't regrow his legs when they get blown off. :smithicide:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair he's the best super-unit in the game just by virtue of not getting screwed over by tiny slopes.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
You know those billboards you see strewn throughout the maps, such as in the first GDI mission? If you hover the cursor over the support rather than the billboard itself, it will display what the sign says! :shobon:

EDIT: Watching the second video now I'm remembered of an old, old ancient thing about disc throwers. You used to be able to have them be able to throw their discs from almost any distance at a building or just in general with ctrl fire but it's been so long I can't even remember the method anymore.

EDIT EDIT: Ah yes, the old days of filling your harvesters with blue, explosive tiberium and driving them at the enemy base.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blackray Jack posted:

You know those billboards you see strewn throughout the maps, such as in the first GDI mission? If you hover the cursor over the support rather than the billboard itself, it will display what the sign says! :shobon:

Buildings will sometimes have specific names (But most are generic). Churches usually contain a healing item, and banks can drop cash albeit very rarely in my experience.

• Locked thread