Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

EDIT: Watching the second video now I'm remembered of an old, old ancient thing about disc throwers. You used to be able to have them be able to throw their discs from almost any distance at a building or just in general with ctrl fire but it's been so long I can't even remember the method anymore.

You could do something like this with grenadiers in C&C1 and Red Alert too and I remember it being able to do it pretty consistently. Crtl fire at a point within range then just before they throw it pick a different target a mile away. It's really funny, but not hugely practical because over huge distances it's really inaccurate so ends up spreading bombs in a large area and you need to redo it every attack and massed grenadiers are kinda a liability to start with.

Actually was the trick with disc throwers that it just kept bouncing way out of normal range? I seem to remember it working a little differently in C&C1 and RA1 compared to Tiberian Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Elite posted:

Actually was the trick with disc throwers that it just kept bouncing way out of normal range? I seem to remember it working a little differently in C&C1 and RA1 compared to Tiberian Sun.

If you forced DT's to attack the ground, their disks would bounce a few times before exploding, unless they hit something first. This tactic makes the 2nd level incredibly easy, since you don't ever have to get in range of the lasers with that tactic. It's also incredibly useful for harassing the enemy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you forced DT's to attack the ground, their disks would bounce a few times before exploding, unless they hit something first. This tactic makes the 2nd level incredibly easy, since you don't ever have to get in range of the lasers with that tactic. It's also incredibly useful for harassing the enemy.

I used to cheese missions by slowly eking out the correct position to click on in order to completely confuse the enemy's AI - they couldn't deal at all with grenades out of nowhere sometimes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Simply Simon posted:

I used to cheese missions by slowly eking out the correct position to click on in order to completely confuse the enemy's AI - they couldn't deal at all with grenades out of nowhere sometimes.

50 to 100 Titans was my favorite cheese, just watching them all slowly march in a base while shooting at the same time (Cause they were OP as gently caress). You'd always end up with several general Titans and many more upgraded.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Carryalls bro! Take that Mammoth Mk2 right into the enemy base and another with an amph APC with engineers :getin:

This man right here knows what's up :hfive:

Also going back to cinematics I have to say that the Devil's Tongue cinematics are the most :black101: thing ever and anyone who disses this game must show me proof that another RTS has a more bitchin' success/failure video :getin:

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
If anyone is interested in multiplayer, send me a PM or contact me on Skype (sovietpotatosa). I'm planning on one or two matches after the GDI and Nod campaigns respectively.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

your evil twin posted:

The main reason was that everything was so brown and bleak. I didn't mind the fact that the game was set decades after C&C1 and that there was lots of sci-fi stuff, but in both Command & Conquer and Red Alert most of the maps were nice green grass and forest environments (with a few maps that were bright yellow/orange desert, or bright white snow). While in Tiberian Sun it was a post-apocalptic wasteland.

On the other hand, they did do a really good job of creating that post-apocalyptic wasteland, with loads of great details. The graphics didn't seem dated to me at the time, and indeed I think they still hold up well today compared to other games with crude 3D models. And if they had gone with polygons, it wouldn't have LOOKED like Command & Conquer, because 3D models just weren't detailed enough. I thought the story was decent and I really liked what they did with the Tiberium, and all the mutants, and the areas that had been transformed by Tiberium into alien jungles.

This is probably my favorite part of TS. That atmosphere :swoon: Everything is hosed and you know it. Tiberium is running over everything and it is a wasteland.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Elite posted:

I don't remember having much success making Tiberian Sun maps though.

In order to "properly" edit maps for Tiberian Sun you need to use an external tool like Final Sun or something. That said, the procedural map generation tool that came withthe game can actually be fun once you figure out how to utterly break properly use it.

Snow map + maximum water + you playing as Nod was especially good.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Watching your videos has given me an urge to play these games again. I was always more of a Blizzard fanboy back in those days but I still had a thing for C&C nevertheless. I still like the Sci-fi and atmosphere in Tiberian Sun (hearing the music in the first video made me nostalgic).

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 15, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Laughing Zealot posted:

I still like the Sci-fi and atmosphere in Tiberian Sun (hearing the music in the first video made me nostalgic).

The two best tracks for Tiberian Sun, for me at least, are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxbbfIg8uQ

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzqFTq6UpaE

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Look how wrong this man's opinions are :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzl_718Ed1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_QYIkd5wz4

I kid, I kid, the Westwood C&C soundtracks (and the Dune soundtracks for that matter) are some of my favourite video game OSTs

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:negative:

Time to cry myself to sleep

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Aces High posted:

Look how wrong this man's opinions are :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzl_718Ed1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_QYIkd5wz4

I kid, I kid, the Westwood C&C soundtracks (and the Dune soundtracks for that matter) are some of my favourite video game OSTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no34k_t87VM One true song. :colbert:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You're all infidels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fta1um8_WY4

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Kaislioc posted:

One true song. :colbert:

Oh, this one, you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBRDayaDg8Q

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Both of the above are objectively the best. Nod Crush is the most memorable thing i remember from the TibSun demo i played way back then. But it wasn't in the ingame playlist for the final game if i remember for some reason.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 17, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Valves is another great one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TkgmHWptVc

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Why doesn't someone just link the soundtrack in a playlist rather than single songs all over the place? I mean seriously, there is no "One best song" from Tib Sun. They are all drat good.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
This is very true, which is why I'm annoyed that they left off some of the best, including my favorite: Ion Storm, from the OST.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zebrin posted:

Why doesn't someone just link the soundtrack in a playlist rather than single songs all over the place? I mean seriously, there is no "One best song" from Tib Sun. They are all drat good.

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no34k_t87VM&list=PL2E2EFDE1818AD483

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Zebrin posted:

The link to Frank Klepacki's site in the OP takes you directly to the full playlist, including the Firestorm tracks and the menu music.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

What the hell? This isn't on my CD copy of the soundtrack that came with the game.

But it's just. so. good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It was in the demo, I don't think it made it to the full game. Which is a drat shame.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Nod Crush is in the final game, it just only appears on the playlist in the Nod Firestorm (and possibly Nod original) single-player campaigns.

I used to love using the Deezire mod for this game. TibSun's tormented and lengthy development meant the game had a ton of unused units and half-completed features that modders were able to kick into life.

My favourite was a set of Age of Empires 2-style AI taunt lines buried in the sound files. Loading up a skirmish map and have EVA and the Nod equivalent sass each other was tremendous fun :allears:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

My favourite was a set of Age of Empires 2-style AI taunt lines buried in the sound files. Loading up a skirmish map and have EVA and the Nod equivalent sass each other was tremendous fun :allears:

I feel insulted that you would equate my genius with that mindless program.
___________/

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yeah, except the OP asked us to refrain from spoilers and I didn't want to ruin his entrance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Too late, the cyborgs are coming.
edit: We've seen cyborgs already, right?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Yeah, we've seen some cyborgs. They're the guys who keep fighting as torsos after you kill them. I always liked how they leave tiberium behind when you kill them, it's a nice little flavor touch.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah, we've seen some cyborgs. They're the guys who keep fighting as torsos after you kill them. I always liked how they leave tiberium behind when you kill them, it's a nice little flavor touch.

Yes, most Tiberium-based units in the game (cyborgs, mutants/shiners, fiends, ect.) leave behind crystals. If you have a large group of them and some die during a firefight you can heal the others in the remains of the dead. Morbid but tactical. :unsmigghh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Unload My Head posted:

If you have a large group of them and some die during a firefight you can heal the others in the remains of the dead. Morbid but tactical. :unsmigghh:

Also very essential since Cyborgs cannot regain their legs if they get blown off.:stonk: Its best just to kill them yourself for the free $ as they move unbearably slow for anything other than defense (and even then not so much).

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also very essential since Cyborgs cannot regain their legs if they get blown off.:stonk: Its best just to kill them yourself for the free $ as they move unbearably slow for anything other than defense (and even then not so much).

I always made a sort of demented petting zoo full of them back at my base.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Junior G-man posted:

I always made a sort of demented petting zoo full of them back at my base.

There's something about reminiscing about games we played as a kid.

This was my one of my first computer games as kid and I have such fond memories of it, even though it was a pretty bad game in retrospect. I'm another who spent more time in skirmish mode making the most kickass base instead of shooting stuff.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Renegret posted:

There's something about reminiscing about games we played as a kid.

This was my one of my first computer games as kid and I have such fond memories of it, even though it was a pretty bad gamebecause its one of the best RTS' ever, in retrospect.

Tiberian Sun was a pretty good game if you ask me. I'm certainly biased, but the game holds up very well even today; great visuals, good gameplay, awesome music... the only downside to this game was its multiplayer.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Tiberian Sun was a pretty good game if you ask me. I'm certainly biased, but the game holds up very well even today; great visuals, good gameplay, awesome music... the only downside to this game was its multiplayer.

The balance is out of whack and the pacing of the game is so slow. The trick SovietPotatoe is using to make a bunch of refineries and immediately sell them isn't very intuitive and it's never even occurred to me to do that before, without that it takes loving forever to get your economy up and running and really adds to the amount of time you spend sitting around waiting for money to collect.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here's the thing: in single player, the lack of balance doesn't matter but you get really cool units to play with - if the sequels are anything to go by, balance comes with boring unit concepts. Well, that and EA trying to turn TW into an e-sport, but that's a whole different can of worms.
Regarding the refinery trick, it's been around since the first game and I honestly thought everyone does that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Here's the thing: in single player, the lack of balance doesn't matter but you get really cool units to play with - if the sequels are anything to go by, balance comes with boring unit concepts. Well, that and EA trying to turn TW into an e-sport, but that's a whole different can of worms.
Regarding the refinery trick, it's been around since the first game and I honestly thought everyone does that.

I never used that trick, I'd rather get ahead in tech than delaying myself for 1 extra harvester. Plus, knowing myself I'd just build 2 refineries and then build harvesters afterwards.

As for EA, it only felt that way once they got to Red Alert 3 and Tiberium Wars (Or whatever its called). RA2 was pretty awesome and devoid of too much EA influence.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
The refinery trick is one of those C&C standbys, like the engineer rush, or using the commando units. In general this series was never about balance or intuitive design. It was about batshit insanity and crushing the AI in fun and interesting ways.

Specifically I like the refinery trick because it allows you to choose whether your Con. Yard or your War Factory is used to get your economy running. If you are building a solo Harvester you're not producing any units, which early in the game can be real rough. Likewise, as you said, if you're building Refineries to get a Harvester you're not teching up.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
I seriously loved this game when i was younger and played the poo poo out of it, but it always annoyed me that the AI was a friggin cheating bastard. until i learned to abuse it. Hilarity ensued.
nowadays it still holds a special place in my heart, for it was one of my first games ever.
Just got a Copy of this game again, i think i have something to do.

I really like the LP and i am learning new thing Maybe re-learning, dont know it feels like decades.

I have to admit, i really liked Tiberium wars, i was sad about them getting rid of all the Cool units, like titan, the mammoth MKII and such, but at least it played fun.

on the other hand, gently caress twilight, i bought it day one :negative: never touched it again since.

Kasrkin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 31, 2014

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
Hey guys, sorry the update is getting delayed so much. Some RL stuff popped up and had me busy the last couple weeks but I should have the next mission uploaded on Wednesday. It has me losing a bunch of troops in a really dumb way, try to guess it for great rewards!

Kasrkin posted:

on the other hand, gently caress twilight, i bought it day one :negative:

You poor bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's been far too long since I've played the game, so shot in the dark: You shot out a bridge you had troops standing on.

• Locked thread