Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Alternately, anything that has to do with disc throwers. GDI invented suicide bombers years before some idiot on TW development team decided they're in the style of Nod (they're not).
Excuse me, but I just rebought Tiberium Wars on a steam sale and keep regretting the idea. The game is decent but it could have been so much better if EA took unit inspiration out of TS and not loving Generals.

edit: Another possibility is the ever popular Tiberium death march. Always fun when an army inexplicably goes missing and you suddenly find yourself knee-deep in visceroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Was it friendly fire from the GDI anti-tank defence? That thing was murderous.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Let me tell you about the time I parked my armored batallion on those sweet looking blue mats..." - for the love of everything you hold sacred, don't ever build repair bays near the Firestorm. Turns out Titans like to wait around.
edit: Oh, you mean the turret module that hurts everything except the center of the explosion. Say what you will about Kane's genius, GDI are the original mad scietists.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 31, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I am gonna guess it was the environmental hazard that is NOT Tiberium I think EVERYONE get's tripped up by veinholes now and then

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Oh, you mean the turret module that hurts everything except the center of the explosion. Say what you will about Kane's genius, GDI are the original mad scientists.

Oh it hurt stuff at the center of the explosion, but it had a crippling feature of not being able to hit close-ranged targets and, instead, shot above and behind the enemy.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Tiberium Wars is alright but if you want to make it good go download the Tiberium Essence mod. Makes C&C3 a whole lot better.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
:siren:Update:siren:
Mission 5a: Destroy Radar Array

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Welcome back, Commander.

E:I was wondering, are you going to go back to any of the missions and show off anything you don't directly come across in the mission? Just curious as most maps have some neat things to them, although not always filled with lore and/or trivia.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 3, 2014

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Kasrkin posted:

on the other hand, gently caress twilight, i bought it day one :negative: never touched it again since.
Wasn't that originally a Multiplayer only and they got ordered to staple a single player campaign on there?

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

E:I was wondering, are you going to go back to any of the missions and show off anything you don't directly come across in the mission? Just curious as most maps have some neat things to them, although not always filled with lore and/or trivia.

I generally try to show everything off the first time through like that old base in the first mission. I don't think I've missed anything interesting so far but if you know something I don't feel free to share it.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Calax posted:

Wasn't that originally a Multiplayer only and they got ordered to staple a single player campaign on there?

goog question, is dont know about that, but it certainly had this feel to it. i dont know what they were thinking with this one.

also ha, i love it when Disc Thrower do this, a merry go round of dying and exploding.

i never really liked No base missions when i first played this, but that changed over time, more of a challenge, than spamming everything to death with tank/titans/tons of infantry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SovietPotatoe posted:

I generally try to show everything off the first time through like that old base in the first mission. I don't think I've missed anything interesting so far but if you know something I don't feel free to share it.

GDI Mission 1: You can actually make it across that bridge, leading south-east, with your starting wolverines. There's nothing there though, but wikis state that you're "lucky" the bridge collapses as its a main route for NOD reinforcements.

The sandbags could be seen as them wanting to place something behind them, but I think it would've messed with the objective, so that space is left empty.

GDI Mission 2: NOD actually has a bridge on the north side of their base that has a bridge repair hut. It would've been cool if the AI repaired it and sent troops your way but, since it's only the second mission, I think the devs chose to give the NOD a small base with a very restricted build script.

Don't pay attention to colors of bases in my screenshots. I love capturing enemy bases.

The laser turrets at the front encourage the player to force attack with disc throwers to hit the turrets outside their range.

The civilian "town" doesn't need to be spotted or visited by any troops. As soon as the last SAM site goes down the transport will immediately go and rescue them.

GDI Mission 3.a: You don't need to capture any radar arrays to win. As long as you get the titans, and destroy the power plants, you can basically walk in and capture the train station.

Losing enough of your starting troops will make the game spawn another set of forces at the starting position, these include 2 wolverines and 2 engineers. You could capture the entire enemy base... However, using up all your engineers is a game over, even if you can build more. And while you can capture the entire enemy base, you can't get enough credits to build your own refinery and make the base (And map) yours.

The truck in the civilian village can be destroyed. The strange part is that it'll almost (if not 100%) always spawn a soldier that will immediately start killing every combat unit on the map. You can't target him aside from force firing (With ctrl+click) but NOD forces won't retaliate against him. Eventually he will make his way to the train station and proceed to destroy it. It takes a long time, but you can get a mission failed because of it.

Also, since you mentioned being able to crush infantry with vehicles, its important to note that not every vehicle/walker can squish infantry, namely: The Attack Buggy, Rocket Cycle, Wolverines and Hover MRLS. I think there's a unit or two I'm missing but I not 100% sure. Also, Cyborg troops cannot be squished.

I'll add more later when I come across/find more.

GDI Mission 3.b: If you went straight for this mission, you won't get the train death cutscene/intro. However, the enemy will have constant reinforcements come from the north-east corner of the map. They come in the form of 1-2 vehicles, either as an Attack Buggy, a Tick Tank or a mix of the two. While this doesn't sound like much, Tick Tanks can do a lot of damage to your base if you don't have anything to counter them and, on Hard difficulty, they become a very annoying problem.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 6, 2014

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Hey guys, guess who's kidneys unclogged just in time to dodge a threadlock? :v:

:siren:Update:siren:
Mission 5b: Rescue Tratos

Cut Content
Going through the game files you can find an icon with the three mutants we started the mission with:

This is a remnant from a planned GDI special ability to call in mutant reinforcements which would have called in our trio from off-map to come and help out. At some point this was cut and all the mutants became buildable instead, with Ghost Stalker becoming the GDI commando unit and the Mutant Hijacker joining the Brotherhood for whatever reason which doesn't make any sense lore-wise. Umagon also has an icon in the game files but was also cut from the final game and relegated to campaign only.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yay you're back :neckbeard:

now if only the RA2 thread would update :smith:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This mission has ended many a GDI campaign; there's a bug in its coding that can cause Tratos' ride to not appear, forcing you to restart the mission. Usually multiple times.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

really? Wow 17 years and I have never experienced that bug before. I remember one of the later missions always being my undoing as a young'un because I always forgot to save :downs: kinda frustrating to start 3 missions prior but hey, I learned my lesson and I save all the drat time now.

As to the mission itself the ending is always funny since it shows ORCAs dodging SAM sites, oh if only that were possible in-game, it would make ORCAs a lot more useful

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Aces High posted:

As to the mission itself the ending is always funny since it shows ORCAs dodging SAM sites, oh if only that were possible in-game, it would make ORCAs a lot more useful

You know, you might actually be able to mod that in if you made SAMs not track their targets. Or maybe adjust the maneuverability on the missiles, which I think I did at some point when I was a kid and just modded all kinds of random nonsense in because it seemed cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ugh, crappy rts helicopter units. Expensive, fragile, can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside and spend all their time strafing back and forth and circling around having serious issues with lining up for a shot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, don't diss the crappy GDI helicopter... Until you've seen the Nod one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Then I'll just diss that one even more. :colbert:
Unless of course it fires tiberium based weapons that turns infantry into viscoroids.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aces High posted:

Poil posted:

Ugh, crappy rts helicopter units. Expensive, fragile, can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside and spend all their time strafing back and forth and circling around having serious issues with lining up for a shot.

If they gave Orca's rockets with guaranteed hits (and maybe some extra damage) it would make them a hell of a lot more viable.

E: And not dance over their target so drat much!

Also, glad to see your back SovietPotatoe!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Hey I will not have you dis the Orca!

Oh wait, you're talking about the Fighter. Yep, that's a PoS. What comes later... not so much.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

berryjon posted:

Hey I will not have you dis the Orca!

Oh wait, you're talking about the Fighter. Yep, that's a PoS. What comes later... not so much.

The 2 other Orcas are great, the fighter is the sub-par one in the family.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The 2 other Orcas are great, the fighter is the sub-par one in the family.

Not arguing that.

Although Fighters make for great ablative armor while the real big boys in the family make their run. So I suppose they do have a use.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
They can also be exploited as a scout unit. When aircraft land they reveal a small bit of the map. By microing a cheap air unit along the ground repeatedly landing and taking off you can scout quickly, although it can get expensive.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Unload My Head posted:

They can also be exploited as a scout unit. When aircraft land they reveal a small bit of the map. By microing a cheap air unit along the ground repeatedly landing and taking off you can scout quickly, although it can get expensive.

The best use of that I've found is scouting ground at the edge of water since they can't land on water it forces them to land at the nearest coast or when trying to spot a location for an ion cannon/EMP. Otherwise, it's usually cheaper to just get a wolverine or its just better to get a Hover MRLS (if albeit slightly slower to get around the map)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Poil posted:

Then I'll just diss that one even more. :colbert:
Unless of course it fires tiberium based weapons that turns infantry into viscoroids.

The ORCA Bomber is loving awesome for demolishing bases (although you gotta send a couple because they're so slow you are guaranteed to lose at least 1 before even reaching their target) but Banshees are just :rock: personified, as far as air power is concerned

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Banshees are the coolest looking vehicle ever designed and I'll challenge anyone who disputes that to muskets at dawn.
Too bad they're poo poo against anything that moves.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

anilEhilated posted:

Too bad they're poo poo against anything that moves.

This is why I don't get the love for Banshees. Sure, they look pretty as they strafe targets and AA rockets fire at them and whoosh whoosh boom...but they miss just as much as ORCA fighters.

ORCA Bombers, though...they live up to the hype. I suspect the reason air units can't enter the fog of war is to prevent players just force-firing them at known start points on multiplayer maps.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The big thing about Banshees is that they do a fuckton of damage to vehicles, as long as those vehicles move slowly enough. IIRC, two banshees can kill a MkII on one set of ammo. They're also really great at sniping Titans and disruptors.
Honestly their biggest issue is that the game doesn't really find much need for an anti-tank plane.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also re: the game being slow that you mentioned a couple of episodes back. When it came out, computers were markedly less powerful.

Turning it up to fast did not boost speed noticeably. I don't need to draw a picture.

Only the madness of Tiberium not appearing in this game (aka C&C the latest) tops it for the worst C&C game.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
That's weird. Turning up the speed works for me. Especially setting it to fastest which makes everything go nutso as it uncaps the FPS.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veloxyll posted:

Also re: the game being slow that you mentioned a couple of episodes back. When it came out, computers were markedly less powerful.

Turning it up to fast did not boost speed noticeably. I don't need to draw a picture.

Only the madness of Tiberium not appearing in this game (aka C&C the latest) tops it for the worst C&C game.

NewMars posted:

That's weird. Turning up the speed works for me. Especially setting it to fastest which makes everything go nutso as it uncaps the FPS.

Turning up the speed always worked and could make the game unplayably fast even back in the days of release. In fact, I find modern pc's have a hard time with the game on fastest, as I believe the game can't handle the speed - processes, actions and such and it crashes.

And Veloxyll, do you mean Tiberium Twilight? I'm terribly biased but I don't see how this game is anywhere near the top of the poo poo pile.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
I have had various graphical issues with Tib Sun resulting in very slow rendering and terrible framerate. I have always managed to fix it with some compatibility tweaking and third-party patches.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Turning up the speed always worked and could make the game unplayably fast even back in the days of release. In fact, I find modern pc's have a hard time with the game on fastest, as I believe the game can't handle the speed - processes, actions and such and it crashes.

And Veloxyll, do you mean Tiberium Twilight? I'm terribly biased but I don't see how this game is anywhere near the top of the poo poo pile.

Maybe. I blocked the name out of my memory it was SO BAD.
The one where you deployed with an MCV, there was no Tiberium harvesting, and you just built units up to your unit cap.
And the first half of the campaign was GDI only.
It was terrible, the Other M of C&C games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veloxyll posted:

Maybe. I blocked the name out of my memory it was SO BAD.
The one where you deployed with an MCV, there was no Tiberium harvesting, and you just built units up to your unit cap.
And the first half of the campaign was GDI only.
It was terrible, the Other M of C&C games.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was the latest one. I was confused because the way you wrote it sounds like you hated Tiberian Sun, or that tiberium isn't in this game, I dunno :shrug:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was the latest one. I was confused because the way you wrote it sounds like you hated Tiberian Sun, or that tiberium isn't in this game, I dunno :shrug:

Nah, TS was poor, but Twiiight is undeniably the worst.

Almost as bad as C&C4 even!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Veloxyll posted:

Nah, TS was poor, but Twiiight is undeniably the worst.

Almost as bad as C&C4 even!

C&C 4 IS Tiberium Twilight. The order is Dawn->Sun->Wars->Twilight starting from the beginning and not counting any add-ons.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
About lovely CnC games, I have only one word: Generals.

Might be nostalgia but I really like TS, probably more than anything EA came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Wrong, Generals was okay and it was pretty fun with the Zero Hour expansion.

I'll agree that it might be lovely as a C&C game, but it wasn't a lovely game overall.

• Locked thread