Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SovietPotatoe posted:

:siren:Update:siren:
Mission 6b: Destroy Vega's Base

On a side note, we now reached the point where all the missions are really long and I'm running out of things to talk about so if anyone is interested in guesting, contact me on the forums or Skype (sovietpotatosa).

:woop: I can finally get my Tiberian Sun fix again!

Wouldn't mind guesting, would just have to figure out when thanks to my weird rear end work schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This is an incredibly annoying mission. It exemplifies all the problems the game has very well: gimmicks and other special conditions don't really work (the shutoff timer), the main idea is intrinsically flawed (amphibious assault, giving you only infantry, is poo poo in a stage that introduces the loving Devil's Tongues), the secondary objective doesn't matter in the slightest, and of course, the cleanup is a total bitch. Especially here, but it always is. That one loving Harpy that landed somewhere.

You can also totally build like 20 flying infantry, circle around the enemy island and take out their ridiculous assortment of power plants from the back. This removes the SAM sites from consideration, and if you have enough dudes, you can murder their bazooka guys before they can touch you. Then you build Orcaahahahaha more jet troopers. This works for a surprising amount of missions.

I also distinctly remember building a detection unit, seeing the underground enemies displayed correctly, realizing that you could do jackshit about it and never building a single one of the blasted things again. At least not for base defense...

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Don't forget the super mega-death Artillery guarding the only bridge to the island. :smithicide:

This mission sucks rear end when you're ten-years-old.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
You can force underground units to surface, stunned, by catching them in the burst of an EMP cannon. It's the rationale behind one of GDI's new units in the expansion pack, too.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Simply Simon posted:

You can also totally build like 20 flying infantry, circle around the enemy island and take out their ridiculous assortment of power plants from the back. This removes the SAM sites from consideration, and if you have enough dudes, you can murder their bazooka guys before they can touch you. Then you build Orcaahahahaha more jet troopers. This works for a surprising amount of missions.

Simon knows what's up, Jump Jets are pretty great if you've got a great micro going.

Also, nice to see that you're demonstrating the whole "build a pretty base for no reason other than I can" aspect of C&C games SP :allears:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Aces High posted:

Also, nice to see that you're demonstrating the whole "build a pretty base for no reason other than I can" aspect of C&C games SP :allears:

This was probably my favorite thing to do because the game was, after all, Base Building Simulator '99. I remember pruning blue tiberium fields like bonzai trees so I could get a seed near my base and I would wall it off for when I needed the cash (never mind the fact that by then I had about 40k credits and dominated the entire map).

SovietPotatoe posted:

On a side note, we now reached the point where all the missions are really long and I'm running out of things to talk about so if anyone is interested in guesting, contact me on the forums or Skype (sovietpotatosa).

So question, SP: What infantry character was that running out of the tick tank near 24:20? Was that a glitch and a civilian appeared?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Simply Simon posted:

This is an incredibly annoying mission. It exemplifies all the problems the game has very well: gimmicks and other special conditions don't really work (the shutoff timer), the main idea is intrinsically flawed (amphibious assault, giving you only infantry, is poo poo in a stage that introduces the loving Devil's Tongues), the secondary objective doesn't matter in the slightest, and of course, the cleanup is a total bitch.

Technically, you aren't forced to go with an amphibious assault as the bridge to the island is repairable. The focus is definitely on using air units + amphibious units though.

Rick_Hunter posted:

So question, SP: What infantry character was that running out of the tick tank near 24:20? Was that a glitch and a civilian appeared?

Tick tanks have a chance of spawning a "civilian" when killed, although I believe the chance is very low. Something like under 5%.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Rick_Hunter posted:

Its a technician. Those guys are the single most useless unit in all of C&C and the only way to get them is by having them spawn from a destroyed building/vehicle.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

The music to this game... Oh god... I love it so much. Personally I think Red Alert 2 has a better soundtrack, but god drat I love this games music so much.

Having to destroy every enemy building and unit was always super tedious. I don't know why they decided to do most missions like that. I wonder if it was a limitation of the engine or just an oversight.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SovietPotatoe posted:

I just love that one NOD soldier impotently firing away at that civilian structure with no defenses:

You can almost hear him saying "yeah, that will show them" as he does it.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

SovietPotatoe posted:

Its a technician. Those guys are the single most useless unit in all of C&C and the only way to get them is by having them spawn from a destroyed building/vehicle.

Yeah?

Okay...

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Mission 7: Capture Hammerfest Base

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And here's the unit they should've given you the last mission. Hover MLRS are the only reason I ever considered playing as GDI and even they end up pretty underwhelming mostly in the speed department. Between them, the APC and jumpjets GDI effectively doesn't give a poo poo about terrain anymore.
Of course, Nod is already at this stage with a single unit but it's the thought that counts.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'm not going to say it's even close to being as bad as Tiberian Sun, but you're giving StarCraft too much credit. Mission design wasn't terrible, but it too had a lot of missions which boiled down to "build army, kill enemy" (sometimes cleverly disguised as "build army, kill enemy just enough[so you can achieve this other objective deep in enemy territory]". It did have the benefit that it was generally faster (units moved faster across the map, you could have multiple production facilities in parallel, so building your army was also faster, etc.).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The pair of cyborgs spawned when your units entered the spotlight for the first time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I have fond memories of that mission from my younger years. For whatever reason I hadn't been saving and I got into a no-win situation for the level and I figured I would just go back to the start, or the end of the previous mission to try again only to discover I hadn't saved since the Relay mission before saving Tratos :argh: needless to say I ended up quitting for a few weeks because of that because hey who said kids are rational right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The comparison to Starcraft doesn't quite work, as it also has problems in its level design and with certain units being worthless. And the 2xcyborg spawn is just scripting, it has nothing to do with cheating or bad programming.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
LP's been mostly good so far, but that last video could have used a hell of a lot more editing.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

LP's been mostly good so far, but that last video could have used a hell of a lot more editing.

In retrospect I probably could have edited some of the more tedious parts out, though I'm hesitant to have a video that is just 50% time acceleration. I'll probably try to edit more aggressively next time I record a base building mission, although there aren't that many left in the GDI campaign actually and the Nod campaign tends to be better about those.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

SovietPotatoe posted:

In retrospect I probably could have edited some of the more tedious parts out, though I'm hesitant to have a video that is just 50% time acceleration. I'll probably try to edit more aggressively next time I record a base building mission, although there aren't that many left in the GDI campaign actually and the Nod campaign tends to be better about those.

You can also fade out-fade in with a time lapse. Tiberian Sun is a really, really slow game and I know it would benefit from some editing in Let's Plays.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Mission 8: Retrieve Disruptor Crystals & Mission 9a: Rescue Prisoners

This video has two missions because the first clocked in at 3:30 making it the shortest mission in the campaign if not the whole game. Also it doesn't come through in the video too well but Ghost Stalker is a huge teamkilling rear end in a top hat if you let him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ghost Stalker isn't nearly as bad as you make it sound, and using force fire on the ground makes it so he doesn't have to run up to buildings to blow them up. His only real downsides are the teamkilling and he gets screwed over by terrain a lot more than other units as his rail gun can't shoot through the ground.

Pushwall
Jun 1, 2010
Vega's pyramid is actually indestructible, so the constant "DO NOT DESTROY IT" warnings are completely moot and you can just rush into the middle of the base on that mission with an amphibious APC full of engineers and bum rush the pyramid and not only will they never take it back from you, but a lot of Nod units will get stuck making useless attacks against it. And you can build off of it.

The cyborgs on the latest mission are spawned from a civilian building in the middle of the city (a hotel I think?) which is yet another dick move that mission pulls since it looks innocuous and as GDI you're expected to not kill civilians. Fortunately the building responsible belongs to Nod so at least you'll get a targeting cursor if you hover over it with a unit selected.

Dancer posted:

I'm not going to say it's even close to being as bad as Tiberian Sun, but you're giving StarCraft too much credit. Mission design wasn't terrible, but it too had a lot of missions which boiled down to "build army, kill enemy" (sometimes cleverly disguised as "build army, kill enemy just enough[so you can achieve this other objective deep in enemy territory]".

The early C&C games have that problem with quite a few of their missions too. The second GDI mission in this game is a good example of that. Destroy all Nod forces and destroy all the SAM sites! Which are part of the Nod forces. Whoops.

Pushwall fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 29, 2014

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Pushwall posted:

The early C&C games have that problem with quite a few of their missions too. The second GDI mission in this game is a good example of that. Destroy all Nod forces and destroy all the SAM sites! Which are part of the Nod forces. Whoops.

To be fair, taking out the SAM sites gives you access to air strikes which totally rule.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Watching the latest video, I had completely forgotten about Umagon's uhh... Considerable talents :v:

Hey, I was 13 when I first played this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

To be fair, taking out the SAM sites gives you access to air strikes which totally rule.

I spent hours on that mission training troops and gathering them to one place in order to achieve the most glorious conflagration possible.
I was a hosed-up kid.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

For some reason I never got the hang of the early C&C games, I was pretty much passable with Red Alert 2 onwards but the older games always seemed to be harder to me, especially when I got to play Tiberian Sun afterwards.

For the campaign at least.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
In addition to the ground sinking when you blew up the tower, I spotted another visual bug in that mission.

I call my invention "the Trainlonger"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's just happy to see you.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

By the time you are done taking out all the SAM sites the mission is already over.
On the other side I hate having to cover my entire base with overlaping sam sites because one won't do it in destroying that stupid airstrike.

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

For some reason I never got the hang of the early C&C games, I was pretty much passable with Red Alert 2 onwards but the older games always seemed to be harder to me, especially when I got to play Tiberian Sun afterwards.

For the campaign at least.

I only beat Tiberium Dawn through exploiting critical faults in the AI's programming.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I only beat TD thanks to having one of those dictionary-sized strategy guides with long, rambling essays on every unit and mission they used to write back in the day.

I probably spent more time reading that thing than playing the game.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I recently replayed the TD GDI campaign and thought it was incredibly easy. In fact, I find all of the early C&C games to be way easier than the newer ones. The later games actually have things like smart AIs and balanced units and scarce resources. Sending a dozen Orcas at the enemy conyard isn't quite the ballbuster it once was.

EDIT: Also, engineer rushes for Nod. That poo poo straight-up doesn't fly in Lando's America

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 30, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The resources are probably the biggest difference between the new and old CnC games. Everything up to Red Alert 2, you could get away with insane bases and winning however the gently caress you wanted. TW and on, however, seem to run on Starcraft resource fields.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

anilEhilated posted:

The resources are probably the biggest difference between the new and old CnC games. Everything up to Red Alert 2, you could get away with insane bases and winning however the gently caress you wanted. TW and on, however, seem to run on Starcraft resource fields.
RA3 adds an extra insult by having your AI ally steal most of the ore deposits on the map if you wait until your own mines are exhausted.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Generals had infinity resource buildings for every faction, leading to crazy-huge bases in multiplayer.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

ArchWizard posted:

RA3 adds an extra insult by having your AI ally steal most of the ore deposits on the map if you wait until your own mines are exhausted.

I'm pretty sure that resources are at least partially shared between allies, at least in single player. I recall playing a few maps where I had income even before building a base, Japan 1 in the expansion being the most obvious one.

KozmoNaut posted:

Generals had infinity resource buildings for every faction, leading to crazy-huge bases in multiplayer.

Though the GLA source of bonus income was based on destroying enemy units, so they had problems if the game went on too long. American airdrops and Chinese hackers worked without input, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

kvx687 posted:

Though the GLA source of bonus income was based on destroying enemy units, so they had problems if the game went on too long. American airdrops and Chinese hackers worked without input, though.

You're thinking of pillaging, but GLA's upgrade building made money too, that's the infinite source.
I still maintain Generals isn't a CnC game, though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

anilEhilated posted:

You're thinking of pillaging, but GLA's upgrade building made money too, that's the infinite source.

Fittingly enough, it's called the black market.

Generals sits outside normal C&C/RA canon and it's got a completely different build and upgrade system that's much closer to Warcraft/Starcraft. I still like it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I remember China's hackers being extremely vulnerable compared to the other factions money makers. Oh, and that occasionally the American air drop thingies would miss and land just outside the building. :argh:

anilEhilated posted:

Good times. Personally I really dislike not having enough resources. It's not fun when you can't try different strategies or unit compositions without restarting the map constantly.

anilEhilated posted:

It isn't. :colbert:

• Locked thread