Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
Never realized there was so much torment behind jokey single panel comics, time for me to re-evaluate Marmaduke :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A good way to avoid criticism is to beat others to the punch! Constantly insult yourself and beat yourself up in a very histrionic manner all the time - if you do so, people will stop saying mean things to and about you - and stop thinking them too

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

BooLoo posted:

Never realized there was so much torment behind jokey single panel comics, time for me to re-evaluate Marmaduke :stare:

Believe me if you knew what this comic was like, you'd never believe I wrote it. Or maybe you would, who knows.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
Post the comic.

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Jonny 290 posted:

A good way to avoid criticism is to beat others to the punch! Constantly insult yourself and beat yourself up in a very histrionic manner all the time - if you do so, people will stop saying mean things to and about you - and stop thinking them too

I deserve all the mean comments in the world. I'm the one who keeps replying hoping for a way out to magically appear.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

SpoonfulofBromide posted:

I deserve all the mean comments in the world. I'm the one who keeps replying hoping for a way out to magically appear.

There is also no reason for anyone to trust you're not trolling, given that you trolled with a dumb prostitute thread.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Self flagellation is a sure way to get others to respect you and totally doesn't advertise how little self respect you have! Sorry your parents made you feel like a burden they couldn't wait to dump, but they love you

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Obdicut posted:

There is also no reason for anyone to trust you're not trolling, given that you trolled with a dumb prostitute thread.

Why would I be? Why put in all this time and effort into these posts. I'm waiting any second for this artist to come in here and tell everyone what a horrible, vindictive, spoiled and evil person I am. All because I wanted her to draw a comic for money.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I bet that's exactly what her side of the story will be.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Why would I be? Why put in all this time and effort into these posts. I'm waiting any second for this artist to come in here and tell everyone what a horrible, vindictive, spoiled and evil person I am. All because I wanted her to draw a comic for money.

Oh so that's the point of this thread, so show everyone what a mean little artist she is for not wanting to draw your weird poo poo? Then you can play the victim and how you're not "a good person" and everyone can either agree or argue against it so you feel better?

drat that's sad.

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Oh so that's the point of this thread, so show everyone what a mean little artist she is for not wanting to draw your weird poo poo? Then you can play the victim and how you're not "a good person" and everyone can either agree or argue against it so you feel better?

drat that's sad.

HOLY gently caress NO. I can't stand being sold up a creek for someone's entertainment in passive aggressively tormenting me.

They got the amusement of prodding me with a metaphorical stick to not only lead me to a breaking point but waste my time too.

Odrade
May 1, 2009

The op in my thread about the applebee's hooker was a John Entwistle song, almost line for line. He's always been my favorite member of the Who, quite underrated, imho. http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858689966/

Good one you! Were you also trolling when you said you wanked over My Little Petshop?

edit: Apparently that should be Littlest Petshop. I think you probably are trolling here as well OP but it's worth pointing out that even if you are, you are still very very bad at communicating and could probably still use some more therapy. Even your troll threads are kind of lonely and perplexing.

Odrade fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 10, 2014

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

If by crazy you mean don't want to be personally involved in the lives of their clients, becoming a weird therapist while trying to draw their super sexy self insert in a dumb comic then yes. They are all crazy.

It's a social commentary but with a main protagonist who's similar to Ronnie from Whomp in levels of self deprecation. We were talking about our personal lives because this artist didn't want to talk about doing the comic or simply saying no they didn't want to do the comic. I thought we were becoming acquaintances too, but then they kept passive aggressively needling me and leading me on about my comic until I broke down. I never said I needed a therapist.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

It's a social commentary but with a main protagonist who's similar to Ronnie from Whomp in levels of self deprecation. We were talking about our personal lives because this artist didn't want to talk about doing the comic or simply saying no they didn't want to do the comic. I thought we were becoming acquaintances too, but then they kept passive aggressively needling me and leading me on about my comic until I broke down. I never said I needed a therapist.

Well, trolling or not, you totes need a therapist dude.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

Speaking of which, if anyone in this thread is an artist that can illustrate along the lines of what I posted and are willing to illustrate like 200 3 panel comics, I have a loving bank account to give you. PM me or contact me at jdackmen@gmail.com. Please don't hurt me or play mind games like these other people. I just want to give you money. :(

Do not give your money to any more artists. Give it to a therapist. Would you not rather feel like yourself in real life rather than having to live vicariously through a cartoon character? These days plenty of people have gender dysphoria and some of them have it worked out pretty well, and I can guarantee you none of them did it by paying someone to draw their fantasy cartoon body 200 times.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Okay, so suppose she did this. What would be her rationale? Would she just be throwing out baseless insults and accusations, or does she have some list of actual grievances?

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

flavor effigy posted:

Do not give your money to any more artists. Give it to a therapist. Would you not rather feel like yourself in real life rather than having to live vicariously through a cartoon character? These days plenty of people have gender dysphoria and some of them have it worked out pretty well, and I can guarantee you none of them did it by paying someone to draw their fantasy cartoon body 200 times.

Its not a "fantasy cartoon body", it was my description of a character with traits and flaws very similar to me. I wasn't doing this as some fetish crap, I was doing this because I have a full comic written.

Believe me, I'd be able to work out everything wrong with life a lot better in a comic than therapy. Why? Because I've been to therapy and I don't see the point in any of the goals they give me. I'd be much happier making a personal statement where I can demonstrate the consequences of people acting like they do. There are so many people who bully and scapegoat others in America alone its not funny.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
You don't see the point in the therapy goals probably because you didn't do them. A lot of that sort of progress becomes apparent once you've tried it a few times. And not everything is always gonna work for everyone so your therapist is gonna try different exercises sometimes - one or two exercise not working out doesn't mean all therapy is useless forever The End. Just means you gotta keep trying until you find something that does work.

As for your comic, I'm willing to guess part of what makes it offensive is that you're making a sexy female mouthpiece for you to slag off on SJ issues with while never actually having experienced life as what others perceive as female.

EDIT: Also, let's be clear here - did the artist actually run off with your $200? And what was the amount of work you were expecting for that price?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 10, 2014

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Devils Affricate posted:

Okay, so suppose she did this. What would be her rationale? Would she just be throwing out baseless insults and accusations, or does she have some list of actual grievances?

Her possible grievances are as follows:

-The comic bashes the SJ's who bully others and use the cause for their own gain, not the one's who promote acceptance and tolerance
-The comic portrays both LGBTQ and cis as occasionally morally corrupt, flawed cartoonish characters rather than perfect models. This was a goofy comedy that involved me taking a bunch of archetypes and deviating them from the norm as well as slowly humanizing them.
-After hearing that she'd "do it for the money" I checked in once per day for updates and I was undemanding and laid back when asked. If she told me she was busy I understood, I just wanted to know how my beloved comic was doing, not harassing or stalking this person.

Here's the only time I was "torturing her":
-I asked her to contact someone on some job resume site who might be able to help me get over a problem. I was trying hard to convince her and she felt I was imposing and wouldn't take no for an answer. I stopped when she said this and I explained myself that I have aspergers and that causes me to be persistent. That's when the needling started.

Listen, I know I was being lovely on the last one. I acknowledged it and I apologized for it. I just genuinely believed she could help me contact this person and help me get them to understand my situation.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
gently caress it. OP you suck.

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 10, 2014

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

-I asked her to contact someone on some job resume site who might be able to help me get over a problem. I was trying hard to convince her and she felt I was imposing and wouldn't take no for an answer. I stopped when she said this and I explained myself that I have aspergers and that causes me to be persistent. That's when the needling started.

Listen, I know I was being lovely on the last one. I acknowledged it and I apologized for it. I just genuinely believed she could help me contact this person and help me get them to understand my situation.

Did she know the person you were trying to contact, or were you just asking her, a near-stranger with which you have a tentative business deal and nothing else, to do you personal favors and help you function in daily life?

There's also the possibility that even if she knew the person you wanted to contact, she might not actually want to introduce you to them. When you introduce someone to people in a professional setting, it can reflect on you, and it's possible she didn't want to be responsible for...ALL THIS you have going on.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 10, 2014

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

I just genuinely believed she could help me contact this person and help me get them to understand my situation.
Maybe she could, but she has absolutely no obligation to do so.

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

StrangersInTheNight posted:

You don't see the point in the therapy goals probably because you didn't do them. A lot of that sort of progress becomes apparent once you've tried it a few times. And not everything is always gonna work for everyone so your therapist is gonna try different exercises sometimes - one or two exercise not working out doesn't mean all therapy is useless forever The End. Just means you gotta keep trying until you find something that does work.

As for your comic, I'm willing to guess part of what makes it offensive is that you're making a sexy female mouthpiece for you to slag off on SJ issues with while never actually having experienced life as what others perceive as female.

EDIT: Also, let's be clear here - did the artist actually run off with your $200? And what was the amount of work you were expecting for that price?

This comic is my therapy. It helps me laugh and distract myself like all good comics should.

Regarding the "sexy female mouthpiece", no, she wasn't meant to be that and she also isn't meant to be "sexy" just because she dresses that way. More like obnoxiously cute, Imo. Her wardrobe is part of her outrageous character and it showcases her personality without having to do a lot of talking.

She is the female equivalent of myself and a commentary on people like me as well; a spoiled, mischievous ladychild fully enabled by society and her family. She's not evil, she's just a deviant who gets into comical mischief. The character makes fun of traditional Mary Sues by making her seem superior and morally corrupt but she actually gets comeuppance and characters calling her out for behavior.

My god, I dig my grave deeper every time I open up my mouth.

I've been had by this person who wanted to exploit me and yet I'm the evil one.

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Actuary X posted:

Maybe she could, but she has absolutely no obligation to do so.

I already said that part was me acting lovely. I am self aware believe it or not.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
She didn't want to exploit you, dude. She just didn't want to draw your comic. That's fine.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Is this like a confederacy of dunces but on the internet?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

-The comic bashes the SJ's who bully others and use the cause for their own gain, not the one's who promote acceptance and tolerance
-The comic portrays both LGBTQ and cis as occasionally morally corrupt, flawed cartoonish characters rather than perfect models. This was a goofy comedy that involved me taking a bunch of archetypes and deviating them from the norm as well as slowly humanizing them.
-After hearing that she'd "do it for the money" I checked in once per day for updates and I was undemanding and laid back when asked. If she told me she was busy I understood, I just wanted to know how my beloved comic was doing, not harassing or stalking this person.

Stop being a loving sperg holy poo poo. I check in with high paying clients once a week if I'm lucky, 3-4 if it's a small indie team. Also, nice on the whole trying to get her to email someone on your behalf when you only hired her as an artist. If she said no and to knock it off you don't blame it on your spergers and keep going you dork.

Stop using other people and deal with your own problems, you're a big boy/girl now.

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Queen Elizatits posted:

:colbert: If SA didn't want me to search people's posts they wouldn't have given me the button.

The artist of that comic does post on SA, she has a thread in SA Mart for taking commissions. SpoonfulofBromide posted in some other comic thread asking for an artist and she offered her work he accepted in that thread etc etc. She posted her portfolio? I'm not sure if that's what you call it if it's an online blog type thing but anyway she has a pretty varied style and to me anyway looks like a talented artist. So I am assuming the picture Bromide posted was drawn how he requested it.

This all happened a week ago, she's temporarily closed her SAMart thread because she stated she needed time to catch up on all the commissions. I think SpoonfulofBromide you are being a bit premature in saying she abandoned your comic it just sounds like she is very busy and is playing catch up.

Could you please answer these two questions SpoonfulofBromide?
1- Have you paid her the full invoice?
2- Did she tell you she was keeping the money and not doing the comic?

You are saying some pretty vaguely harsh things here that could be damaging to an artist so it would be cool if you would clear that up.

I'm sorry if I'm being blatantly honest but I'm really torn up about this. I didn't pay her anything, that was the artist before her who gave me a few pieces of concept art and then told me that an invoice wasn't a contract and left. I even told her about how much conning me out of my money and playing mind games hurt me because I poured my heart out explaining my comics meaning and significance to my first artist.

Then I did the same with her, poured my heart out explaining it and she obviously didn't like my ideas and probably found them blasphemous to dare criticize people in the SJ scene for hurting others for their own gain. Despite this, she disliked it but said she was going to do it for the money, this left me in the dark completely because I didn't know if she was doing it or she wasn't.

She could have given me a plan so I'd know if I should be waiting patiently or not to hold my breathe. Look, the only reasons I talked to her everyday was just to check up on this project and when she was sick, out of genuine concern.

I really can't stand this. I'm sick of people manipulating me and telling me I'm the bad guy here. I'm just a comic writer who was paying their own hard earned money to have their dream of writing a webcomic come true.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If I were you I'd just learn to draw, god drat.

In fact, why don't you pour some energy into that? It might even be therapeutic.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

I didn't pay her anything... I'm just a comic writer who was paying their own hard earned money to have their dream of writing a webcomic come true.

Edit: In case this isn't a horrific troll, you're going to have to climb down off your cross if you actually want to work with a professional artist and ever get your comic done, and you're going to have to respect boundaries, and not pester them every single day.

Or you can just keep alternately whining about how persecuted you are and then slagging yourself off more than anyone else has.

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Anne Whateley posted:

She didn't want to exploit you, dude. She just didn't want to draw your comic. That's fine.

Then why didn't she just tell me that. NO is one word. I would have taken it a lot better than these mind games. You see how well I'm taking this right now. I'd much rather be doing something productive than being kicked to the curb and laughed at by every goon on here. I'm surprised motherfucking slowbeef hasn't come in here yet to tell everyone what a jerkass i am.

To anyone who calls me out for asking her to contact someone for me, I KNOW I WAS WRONG AND I REGRET IT ENTIRELY. I apologized to her myself about it. It was selfish. I am evil. I GET IT. Like I said, shoot me. I'm obviously half dead roadkill to you people.

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Devils Affricate posted:

If I were you I'd just learn to draw, god drat.

In fact, why don't you pour some energy into that? It might even be therapeutic.

I suck at it and I wasted money on art classes that did nothing for me.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Like I said, shoot me. I'm obviously half dead roadkill to you people.

Get therapy.

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Queen Elizatits posted:

gently caress it. OP you suck.

Why do I suck? I just wanted to pay someone money. I just wanted to pay someone money. I'm autistic and I just wanted to pay someone money.

Money and my complete sanity.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I suck at it and I wasted money on art classes that did nothing for me.

You actually have to do it in order to improve

See also: therapy

SpoonfulofBromide
Sep 19, 2013

by Dire Forums Problem

Spiffo posted:

You actually have to do it in order to improve

See also: therapy

the comic was going to be the best goddamn therapy on the planet. a tortured soul is what it take to produce quality art.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

the comic was going to be the best goddamn therapy on the planet.

I recommend the kind from a therapist

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013
I have a solution for you and it's 25% off on Steam right now, leaving you with the rest of your savings for therapy.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

the comic was going to be the best goddamn therapy on the planet. a tortured soul is what it take to produce quality art.

when you've lost 15 lbs when you are already underweight because you can't afford to feed yourself while still somehow scrawling on some newsprint you found at the college dumpster, you can start to say you are a kinda hungry artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

If the artist were to come in here and shout at us all about how you are "horrible", "vindictive", "spoiled" and "evil" I'm sure she'd come at us with this incredibly mundane list of bland, non-vindictive accusations, rather than whatever information you are so obviously leaving out.

• Locked thread