Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I was real impressed by how skilled they were at not tipping off who's going to win just based on their little profile. Maybe has to do with Brazil as an audience having different tip offs for "You should like this guy".

Usually the guy with the sob story loses. Also if Ronaldo is your friend you auto-lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Episode 2 is up, second half of the fights to get in

"I'll win this even if they kill me"

20 second tko

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Everyone is hyped for Face Shoe (it's Shoe Face if you're translating it right, but gently caress it, Face Shoe is hilarious) but Black War Machine was a lot funnier for me. Although it loses a lot in translation, I suppose.

(no, the women coaches make no sense for anyone, it's not like they couldn't have gotten Kyra Gracie and someone else too)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Do they normally do the split premier episode or is this getting drawn out because it's going to be such a "blockbuster" season?

Do they pick teams at the end of the episode or will that be next week?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

xcore posted:

Do they normally do the split premier episode or is this getting drawn out because it's going to be such a "blockbuster" season?

Do they pick teams at the end of the episode or will that be next week?

The TV deal in Brazil probably didn't allow for a two hour premier episode so we get forced to watch the elimination fights over two weeks. Still watching so not sure if they pick the teams at the end but I'm gonna guess yes.

e: They don't pick the teams but there's a pretty good reason why. Ending was pretty great and I now know why they have the lady coaches.

Lloyd Boner fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 17, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Dias posted:

Everyone is hyped for Face Shoe (it's Shoe Face if you're translating it right, but gently caress it, Face Shoe is hilarious) but Black War Machine was a lot funnier for me. Although it loses a lot in translation, I suppose.

(no, the women coaches make no sense for anyone, it's not like they couldn't have gotten Kyra Gracie and someone else too)

Black War Machine has a hot rear end wife.

Also that BJJ/model guy is hilarious because once he starts fighting it's obvious he has a ridiculous receding hairline that is getting a major combover.

I guess Big Monster is gonna have to keep waiting for porrada :smith:

I didn't watch last week, did anything happen besides bad fights?

edit: LMAO. Holy poo poo Chael is playing Wandy like a fiddle. He's ready to coach all the guys. This owns.

Also apparently TUF: Brazil Octagon Girl contest next week in lieu of any fighting due to Wandy's tantrum.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 17, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I love Wandy (still want my main man Chael to beat his rear end) but God damned if he isn't acting like a five year old retard.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
For the record, the HW favorite is pretty obvious. Marcos Rogerio de Lima was a high-end LHW prospect in Strikeforce and I was surprised he got cut because he should be in the UFC already.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
On the MW side, that fake Lyoto dude seems pretty drat strong. Really crisp striking, good kicks and takedowns, even got a submission in. I think so far he had the most impressive display out of anyone in the show, or at least the most complete.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Dias posted:

Yeah. I know it's Shoe Face (Face Shoe was on an official UFC news release and sounds way funnier). A lot of the translation for the show in press releases and on screen subtitles looks like it was literally run through a bad translator. It's why stuff like Cristiano Ronaldo was subbed as Cristian Ronald on the show. There's a bunch of other bad subtitling I was gonna screen cap but I got lazy about.

Anyways, are the women coaches famous at all in Brazil? I really don't get their inclusion, they don't even understand how mma works. If you wanted to use them on TUF to have new viewers relate to them, they should've done that on the first season. It's a weird and poorly executed idea.

Also Chael punking Wanderlei for like 6 straight minutes at the end of the episode was amazing. I wanted to see the next episode right then. You know Wanderlei thought he was all smart and was gonna "put Chael on the spot" in front of all the fighters and it backfired in his face.

e- Also I realized this episode that Vinny Magalhaes was one of Chael's coaches. That'll be good for Chael to get himself understood at practice quickly. I was wondering who he was gonna get for that role. Vinny is a good choice in my opinion.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 17, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have to admit to skipping the fights in the second episode. Watching sad sack stories for people that get promptly beaten is just depressing. Did I miss much?

Also why the hell didn't they get some female coaches that at least had a clue about MMA? The ring girl competition looks like it's going to be really loving embarrassing as well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Seltzer posted:

Yeah. I know it's Shoe Face (Face Shoe was on an official UFC news release and sounds way funnier). A lot of the translation for the show in press releases and on screen subtitles looks like it was literally run through a bad translator. It's why stuff like Cristiano Ronaldo was subbed as Cristian Ronald on the show. There's a bunch of other bad subtitling I was gonna screen cap but I got lazy about.

Anyways, are the women coaches famous at all in Brazil? I really don't get their inclusion, like they don't even understand how mma works. If you wanted to use them on TUF to have new viewers relate to them, they should've done that on the first season. It's a weird and poorly executed idea.

Also Chael punking Wanderlei for like 6 straight minutes at the end of the episode was amazing. I wanted to see the next episode right then. You know Wanderlei thought he was all smart and was gonna "put Chael on the spot" in front of all the fighters and it backfired in his face.

e- Also I realized this episode that Vinny Magalhaes was one of Chael's coaches. That'll be good for Chael to get himself understood at practice quickly. I was wondering who he was gonna get for that role. Vinny is a good choice in my opinion.

Yeah, I knew it was because of the UFC translation - it was probably done by Wandy himself, judging by the level of quality.

About the women coaches...sorta, I guess? Hortência (the blonde one) was the best player on the best Brazilian women's basketball team, and I think most people know who she is around these parts. Isabel not so much, although she was also part of an iconic national team for a sport not called soccer. They're well-known, but they're not huge or anything, definitely not draws either. If I were to hazard a guess to why they're picked, Globo's trying to keep the 35+ women watching Big Brother (still a huge thing is Brazil) tuned in to TUF, since that's the lead-in and all.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I have to admit to skipping the fights in the second episode. Watching sad sack stories for people that get promptly beaten is just depressing. Did I miss much?

The fights have been pretty good for a tuf season and the not so action packed fights were edited well. I'd advise people to watch them to get an idea of how the fighters perform.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Anyways, are the women coaches famous at all in Brazil? I really don't get their inclusion, they don't even understand how mma works. If you wanted to use them on TUF to have new viewers relate to them, they should've done that on the first season. It's a weird and poorly executed idea.

The women are also there as a buffer between Wanderlei and Chael and specifically to get Wanderlei to calm down. Though it was pretty funny seeing the volleyball coach telling Chael to apologize and he's all, "I appreciate your input but I'm not going to do that."

I also think that while Chael was being borderline racist in some of the things that he said about Brazil (entertaining as it was), he made a real good point about not apologizing for it. "Hey man I said a bunch of poo poo and then got my rear end kicked for it. Did you see that fight? It was not a fun night for me."

1st AD fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 17, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Chael certainly danced on the line with some of his comments, which doesn't bother us horrible people at all. I can get it ruffling some feathers, like it is supposed to do. But I couldn't agree more about him owning up to things with, "That wasn't a good night for me."

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Captain Log posted:

You missed a pudgy middleweight medical student fight a Nova Uniao guy who trains with Barao and "Ze" Aldo. Medical student breaks a finger and Wandy calls him a pussy.

Also there was a walk away head kick KO in one of the heavyweight fights that I thought was pretty loving cool.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah I skipped the sob stories and watched most of the fights. Holy poo poo Monstroso or whatever his name is just mauled that poor pudgy guy.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
How did Big Monster's porrada go?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

1st AD posted:

I guess Big Monster is gonna have to keep waiting for porrada :smith:

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Captain Log posted:

Also why the hell didn't they get some female coaches that at least had a clue about MMA? The ring girl competition looks like it's going to be really loving embarrassing as well.

You missed a lot of dudes who were missing immediate family who got promptly beaten, including one of the Heavyweights who's entire family (the ones still living, so just himself, his mother and brother) were unemployed and he needed this fight more than anything. He started tearing up in his pre-fight interview. In the fight itself he took a truly crazy amount of strikes before finally falling late in the second round, along with his hopes and dreams.

Also a humble, self-described nerd who inspired his unathletic parents to train alongside him in a totally :3: moment lost to a wealthy fashion model. On the plus side, one dude who's son drowned at the age of 4 won his fight impressively. So that one was totally happy.

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 17, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I don't get why Wandy wants the guy Vitoria just killed for 10 minutes then KOed to be the heavyweight sub, in the US he'd surely be out for 6 months due to concussion alone.

If I have to watch Ring girl bullshit, gotta day the Brazilian aesthetic tastes suit me better than the US UFC's, based on Jungle fights and that preview alone. Popozuda!

edit: I spelled Popozuda wrong.

wooger fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 18, 2014

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I hope Chael picks "face shoe" and "lex luthor."

I would also like "lex luthor" to continually beat people who's father just died, or people who are broke, or have never seen their children.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The last few minutes with Wanderlei throwing a tantrum were just embarrassing to watch.

SAY YOU'RE SORRY TO BRAZIL YOU BIG MEANIE OR I QUIT!!

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 19, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wow this show is going to be magical. Let me welcome you to the Ultimate Fighter Brazeel. I queet. Byeeee.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Who wins in a, "Fuuuuuck yeah my country rules hoo hah" contest? Brazilians or Americans?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Chael knows how to sell real estate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY78SaYr3J0

:allears:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ditch posted:

Chael knows how to sell real estate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY78SaYr3J0

:allears:

I love his friendship with Okami.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

When does episode 3 go up?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

When does episode 3 go up?

In 10 minutes I believe

e: Wandy got the best fighter face shoe

Lloyd Boner fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 24, 2014

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Are they going to tease that fight the whole season? It's annoying that they put the subtitles for the coaches in the top middle of the screen during the fights.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah the subs should go at the bottom.

Also I don't need subtitles for TOUCH HIM because I can hear Chael say it pretty clearly.

Chael's fighter was so bad, he'd keep going deep on takedowns without a good setup and would end up getting outwrestled. Also I don't know what the gently caress he was thinking on the ground but he gave up his neck several times while rolling to turtle and it's only by the grace of his slightly less bad opponent that he didn't get choked out.

Also, are the octagon girl hopefuls also living in the house? :wtc:

Also it looks like 2 people get kicked off the show? Based off Dana pretending to be mad in the video conference. Including maybe Wandy :laugh:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 24, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Just tried watching this on my Android Phone (Nexus 5). Video froze after about 5 minutes, then the entire phone rebooted.
I repeated that 3 times, same exact stuff happened. Has this happened to anyone else?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I can't even get FightPass to work on the Android UFC.tv app. The iOS one works just fine though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1st AD posted:

Yeah the subs should go at the bottom.

Also I don't need subtitles for TOUCH HIM because I can hear Chael say it pretty clearly.

Chael's fighter was so bad, he'd keep going deep on takedowns without a good setup and would end up getting outwrestled. Also I don't know what the gently caress he was thinking on the ground but he gave up his neck several times while rolling to turtle and it's only by the grace of his slightly less bad opponent that he didn't get choked out.

Also, are the octagon girl hopefuls also living in the house? :wtc:

Also it looks like 2 people get kicked off the show? Based off Dana pretending to be mad in the video conference. Including maybe Wandy :laugh:

Pelligrino (or whatever his name is) is also a LW. He said he fought two divisions down so he didn't have to cut anything to hit 185.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pelligrino (or whatever his name is) is also a LW. He said he fought two divisions down so he didn't have to cut anything to hit 185.

One weight class up makes sense. That way you can have some wiggle room. Two weight classes up means you want to eat nothing but cake and lard.

Also: lol at chael implying that wanderlei was drunk as heck

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

1st AD posted:

Are the octagon girl hopefuls also living in the house?

Also it looks like 2 people get kicked off the show? Based off Dana pretending to be mad in the video conference. Including maybe Wandy.

I'm almost 100% certain they are not. They just had them by that one day so the fighters could "rate their personalities" as well as their looks. From the upcoming episode previews yea it looks like two people will leave. Wanderlei is not leaving, it wouldn't make any sense and the news definitely would have got out there. I'll spoiler what I'm pretty sure the Dana conference is (I don't even know why, this is fuckin TUF Brazil). In Chael and Wanderlei's "fight" all the reports said that Wanderlei swings Chael doubles him and gets him on the ground and before the scuffle is over one of Wanderlei's coaches/friends cheapshotted Chael in the back of the head. I'm pretty sure that's who is leaving and who Dana is talking about when he says "should be arrested". The other person leaving looks like a standard TUF injury.

Brief things of note, I'm glad to see that Chael already has demonstrably better training sessions. Also I'm pretty sure Wanderlei had his fighter doing squat-thrusts right before the fight which just seems dumb. The product placement is back with a vengeance. From "Oh look in our bags they gave us shampoo" *zooms in for 5 seconds on Pele Head and Shoulders bottle* to Chael crushing energy drinks. It's so bad I love it.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 24, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I skipped the second season, but their production looks reeeeally good this season. Aside from the crappier video cameras used everywhere but talking heads and highlights, the show looks really close in editing and overall production to the current versions of USA TUF. Compare this to the Chinese version which has lovely looking lower thirds, bad camera work and editing that was salvaged only by Cung Le, Director, and they even used the wrong music all over the place.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I haven't watched this yet but I hope at least one fighter is bathed in acai juice after his win

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

1st AD posted:

I skipped the second season, but their production looks reeeeally good this season. Aside from the crappier video cameras used everywhere but talking heads and highlights, the show looks really close in editing and overall production to the current versions of USA TUF. Compare this to the Chinese version which has lovely looking lower thirds, bad camera work and editing that was salvaged only by Cung Le, Director, and they even used the wrong music all over the place.
Quite possibly somebody decided that they could get away with skimping more on TUF China (as a series premiere) than on TUF Brazil 3, particularly with a nominally high-profile coach/eventual-fight match-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Chortles posted:

Quite possibly somebody decided that they could get away with skimping more on TUF China (as a series premiere) than on TUF Brazil 3, particularly with a nominally high-profile coach/eventual-fight match-up.

TUF China is being produced by the channel it broadcasts on, but based on the look and feel of the production this season of TUF Brazil looks like it was done in-house.

I also wasn't joking, Cung Le had to literally direct the camera crew in China to do talking heads and shoot appropriate b-roll.

• Locked thread