Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

david carmichael posted:

Regardless of Wanderlei's idiocy Chael made first physical contact. Wanderlei is not a bright or compelling human being, but characterizing the tiny balled fraud convict as "professional" is utterly bizarre

Well, Wandy did shove Chael in a previous episode and Chael warned him that he wasn't going to let him get close enough to do it again. I think he was even saying something to that effect right before the shove, like "I can't let you do that."

E: It pays to refresh the page before posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
Also Dida gloated about how great it was to coward punch Chael and wanted to frame the jersey he tore off him.

Friend saving actions indeed. I would strongly suspect Wand and the boys were looking for a chance to start poo poo with chael through out filming. For the honour of Brasil of course.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

Regardless of Wanderlei's idiocy Chael made first physical contact.

Lol

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.
Wanderlei apparently hurt his back getting double-legged into concrete and the fight is delayed. gently caress.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I still maintain that saying "i punched him because he was fighting my friend" doesnt somehow make the act of punching him worse. Like the main problem with that entire situation certainly wasnt with dida, it was that wanderlei and chael are carny idiots. "i cant let you do that, dave" comes from the same place as the machismo that influences wanderlei to be dumb as hell. Dida is in every respect the hero of this story

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The other large villains are the producers who did nothing to calm that poo poo down if altercations happened before, as well as the other fighters who sat idly by and didnt punch anyone in the back of the head

Deafboy
Dec 5, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

Wanderlei apparently hurt his back getting double-legged into concrete and the fight is delayed. gently caress.

That's actually funny as poo poo. CAVEMAN WANDY HURT HIM BACK *drooooooooool*

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Someone put wand on a victor class flight and just put him out of his misery

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Whenever people mention a Victor class flight I think they're talking about Belfort-Henderson.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

wrestling: The best art for streetfights

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Chael successfully double-legged Wandy in the open from several feet away with no setup while wearing flip flops on a polished concrete floor.

The actual fight is going to go even more predictably than expected.

corillon
Jun 18, 2004

When you giggle you leak piss.
Grimey Drawer

Dirp posted:

Chael successfully double-legged Wandy in the open from several feet away with no setup while wearing flip flops on a polished concrete floor.

The actual fight is going to go even more predictably than expected.

Yeah whatever else you get out of the scuffle, I don't think it looks good for Wanderlei in the fight.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Wanderlei is going to do fine because he'll get paid triple the money that he would get to lose a very similar lopsded fight against Tim Kennedy or Carmont.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

It was already covered in either this thread or the main UFC thread but the fight is still slated for UFC 175. Dana just made comments about it recently saying that the reason the fight was delayed was because of the fight on TUF.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

corillon posted:

Yeah whatever else you get out of the scuffle, I don't think it looks good for Wanderlei in the fight.

Getting injured on top of that doesn't help either. Guess that's what he gets for being a dog-faced Brazilian fuckboy (my new fav insult ever) who goes to work drunk and tries to start fights.

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

It was already covered in either this thread or the main UFC thread but the fight is still slated for UFC 175. Dana just made comments about it recently saying that the reason the fight was delayed was because of the fight on TUF.

it was probably here. I abstained from this thread until I got fight pass recently.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
These two tuf's being on together is cool because Frankie/BJ is going to be a great backhanded snipe-fest and Wand/Chael is just pure acrimony to the point of violence. Do a re-watch of TUF10 at the same time to cover "motor mouthed, nonsense poo poo talking" and you have fulfilled course requirements for Beef 102.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Im continually impressed by Chaels fans total commitment to being happy about every thing hes done or will do.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Also if Chael taking Wandy down means he will easily win an mma fight (lol), jon jones better avoid Frank Mir at all costs

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I seriously can't believe two guys getting into a pushing match and the guy who decides to shoot a double leg is somehow seen in a good light

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
But that decision was made in response to an incoming right.

And for the record I am happy with that decision.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Wanderlei was the one who escalated things from a shoving match to a stupid brawl when he swung at Chael. He was also the one who escalated things from verbal to physical when he shoved Chael in an earlier episode. The only thing Chael did wrong was talk poo poo, which is kinda what his job is.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Lloyd Boner posted:

Wanderlei was the one who escalated things from a shoving match to a stupid brawl when he swung at Chael. He was also the one who escalated things from verbal to physical when he shoved Chael in an earlier episode. The only thing Chael did wrong was talk poo poo, which is kinda what his job is.

His job isn't to talk poo poo, he's not an internet poster.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Chael has two jobs as a prizefighter: to fight and to promote his fight. A lot of fighters don't do the latter part of their job but a lot of fighters also don't get paid very much. To be fair Wanderlei was absolutely doing his job too, he just pushed things too far when he made things physical.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I was listening to Joe Rogan's podcast with Chael (2012 2013?) and he mentions his father's self defense advice for him is to never let someone in arm's reach. He pushed an advancing Wanderlei to create space and stay safe.

That Dida guy is a dirtbag.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Talking poo poo being a part of being a TUF coach is the very definition of implied. Sometimes they get coaches who aren't good at it or don't want to do it, and those seasons are pure trash that no one watches.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Good show

gently caress wandy and his idiot coaches

gently caress gently caress the horrible ring girls contestents (gently caress UFC for doing it, not the girls)

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Lloyd Boner posted:

Chael has two jobs as a prizefighter: to fight and to promote his fight. A lot of fighters don't do the latter part of their job but a lot of fighters also don't get paid very much. To be fair Wanderlei was absolutely doing his job too, he just pushed things too far when he made things physical.

His job is not to promote fights. That's what the UFC's marketing department does. His job is to fight.

When Chael goes around spreading calumny and defamating other people or those people's culture or nation he's not "promoting fights" he's just making a lot of people angry at him. Now he acts surprised that Wanderlei doesn't want to be his friend, as if he had done nothing wrong.

Now consider this: if his job is promoting fights and it includes saying poo poo about the place where someone was born why didn't he do it when he was to fight Jon Jones? or Rashad Evans Did he fail to do his work then? No, because that's not his work.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kanthulhu posted:

His job is not to promote fights. That's what the UFC's marketing department does. His job is to fight.

When Chael goes around spreading calumny and defamating other people or those people's culture or nation he's not "promoting fights" he's just making a lot of people angry at him. Now he acts surprised that Wanderlei doesn't want to be his friend, as if he had done nothing wrong.

Now consider this: if his job is promoting fights and it includes saying poo poo about the place where someone was born why didn't he do it when he was to fight Jon Jones? or Rashad Evans Did he fail to do his work then? No, because that's not his work.

1) Uh, nope.

2) People who are angry at him will tune in or often buy PPV's soley to watch him lose. Which is promotion.

3) Because not that many people in NYC give a poo poo if Chael says their city is poo poo. Brazilians do.

In all honesty he went over the line real bad on some of his brazil stuff with Anderson...but then again those fights were lucrative as gently caress and the UFC is still milking Brazils hate for him so idk. And I really doubt he was expecting to make friends with Wand. Doesn't mean he has to expect to get into an actual fight on the set. There's been plenty of coaches who hate eachother more than these two and they haven't brawled on the set.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 18, 2014

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I think people like Chael because they relate to being hated by everyone

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That and my small gonads

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

Intel&Sebastian posted:

1) Uh, nope.

2) People who are angry at him will tune in or often buy PPV's soley to watch him lose. Which is promotion.

3) Because not that many people in NYC give a poo poo if Chael says their city is poo poo. Brazilians do.

In all honesty he went over the line real bad on some of his brazil stuff with Anderson...but then again those fights were lucrative as gently caress and the UFC is still milking Brazils hate for him so idk. And I really doubt he was expecting to make friends with Wand. Doesn't mean he has to expect to get into an actual fight on the set. There's been plenty of coaches who hate eachother more than these two and they haven't brawled on the set.

1) Nope is not an argument.

2) Or maybe they won't. You are saying this like it's a sure thing but you don't know how big any of the PPV sales are so this is just your guess.

3) That's not the real reason. The reason is because if he did that he would be deemed unamerican and his career would be hosed.

When Chael was "promoting" his second fight with Anderson he damaged himself so much he's yet to fight in Brazil even though he was supposed to since the second Anderson fight. Did that help his career? If half of the UFC fanbase hate him so much he can't fight in their country, was that a good thing for him?

But since this is the internet people say Chael was "trolling" and that is funny and cool because this is Something Awful and it's all this forum is about but in the real world all Chael did was to show he is an rear end in a top hat.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Kanthulhu posted:

His job is absolutely to promote fights. Every fighter's job includes promoting their own fight. It doesn't have to be poo poo talking an entire country, but interviews, media appearances, it all counts as promoting your fight. Even if it's just telling your friends and family that you have a fight coming up on X day, that is promoting your fight. Hell you can promote your fights by just being an awesome fighter such that people want to see you fight more. Talking poo poo isn't something you MUST do to promote a fight, but it's a pretty solid method of doing so.

TUF is a vehicle to promote fights. The finale fights between the competitors, and more importantly the fight between the coaches. Chael and Wanderlei were doing exactly what was expected of them to promote their fight. But there's a line, and that line is between verbal altercations and physical altercations, because the point is to use the former to make people pay money to see the latter. Wanderlei crossed that line first, hence Chael's not the one in the wrong here.

Bundt Cake posted:

I think people like Chael because they relate to being hated by everyone

Actually Atom loathes Chael

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kanthulhu posted:

1) Nope is not an argument.

2) Or maybe they won't. You are saying this like it's a sure thing but you don't know how big any of the PPV sales are so this is just your guess.

3) That's not the real reason. The reason is because if he did that he would be deemed unamerican and his career would be hosed.

When Chael was "promoting" his second fight with Anderson he damaged himself so much he's yet to fight in Brazil even though he was supposed to since the second Anderson fight. Did that help his career? If half of the UFC fanbase hate him so much he can't fight in their country, was that a good thing for him?

But since this is the internet people say Chael was "trolling" and that is funny and cool because this is Something Awful and it's all this forum is about but in the real world all Chael did was to show he is an rear end in a top hat.

1) Okay I will elaborate: Promoting a fight is a part of a fighters job, and it's accomplished in many a way, including being a giant dickhead that everyone wants to see the brakes beat off of.

2) It's as sure of a thing as possible with the evidence provided. Chael fought Anderson after another fighter who's promotional standpoint before they were matched up was roughly the same as Chaels before his Anderson fight, Demian Maia. People questioned whether or not either of them deserved the shot at all. Demian and Anderson didn't do anything beyond standard to promote their fights and the reported PPV buy was approx 500k with frankie edgar and BJ Penn as a co-main. At the time BJ Penn was the biggest "draw" of that card. UFC policy says if there's two belts on one card, the higher weightclass is the main event.

Chael and Andersons first fight did 600k with Jon loving Fitch and Thiago Alves as a co-main. I would say beating a BJ Penn fueled card based on not much other than Chael promoting his fight (sometimes in less than tasteful ways) is quite an accomplishment.

Not definitive with all those moving parts but it's not a guess.

3) Well you're the mind reader here so I'll trust you. Not saying what he did was right or defensible...but it worked as promotion. No other American coaches got invited to be on Brazil's TUFs and no Anderson Silva fight prior to his two with Chael were anywhere near as successful.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 18, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He's working you. Has to be. He can't not get this.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

He's working you. Has to be. He can't not get this.

He's the true Chael fan here.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Goddammit he made me look at Demian Maia buyrates

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kanthulhu posted:

When Chael was "promoting" his second fight with Anderson he damaged himself so much he's yet to fight in Brazil even though he was supposed to since the second Anderson fight. Did that help his career?

Several American fighters have noted that fighting in Brazil is a significant hit to their purses because of the local taxes, so yes, actually, it did.

Anyway, for what it's worth, Chael himself has said that he said mean things about Anderson and Wanderlei because he thinks they're assholes, which is why he didn't say anything mean about Rashad Evans, and why he said mean things about Jon Jones before TUF but not afterwards (because he said he found Jones much more pleasant to be around than his media image suggested). He still talked a ton to promote those fights, it was just all about how awesome he was rather than how lovely his opponents were.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I glossed over that part but you don't have to fight in someones country for them to give you their money. It might help your numbers a bit but I doubt anyone willing to spend the money to attend a Chael Sonnen fight in Brazil (presumably because they hate him) isn't willing to buy a PPV or go to a bar to see the same thing on TV.

Normally people being so angry at you that you can barely set foot in their country would be a very bad thing for any companies employees but, right or wrong, it helps Chael and the UFC. If Brazilians decided to boycott Chael Sonnen rather than literally giving him money because they hate him maybe you'd have an argument but that's the fight biz.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Talking poo poo being a part of being a TUF coach is the very definition of implied. Sometimes they get coaches who aren't good at it or don't want to do it, and those seasons are pure trash that no one watches.
GSP's season was great to watch, and he did nothing but avoid Koscheck's poo poo talking.

Allez-oup!

• Locked thread