Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Everyone is hyped for Face Shoe (it's Shoe Face if you're translating it right, but gently caress it, Face Shoe is hilarious) but Black War Machine was a lot funnier for me. Although it loses a lot in translation, I suppose.

(no, the women coaches make no sense for anyone, it's not like they couldn't have gotten Kyra Gracie and someone else too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
On the MW side, that fake Lyoto dude seems pretty drat strong. Really crisp striking, good kicks and takedowns, even got a submission in. I think so far he had the most impressive display out of anyone in the show, or at least the most complete.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Seltzer posted:

Yeah. I know it's Shoe Face (Face Shoe was on an official UFC news release and sounds way funnier). A lot of the translation for the show in press releases and on screen subtitles looks like it was literally run through a bad translator. It's why stuff like Cristiano Ronaldo was subbed as Cristian Ronald on the show. There's a bunch of other bad subtitling I was gonna screen cap but I got lazy about.

Anyways, are the women coaches famous at all in Brazil? I really don't get their inclusion, like they don't even understand how mma works. If you wanted to use them on TUF to have new viewers relate to them, they should've done that on the first season. It's a weird and poorly executed idea.

Also Chael punking Wanderlei for like 6 straight minutes at the end of the episode was amazing. I wanted to see the next episode right then. You know Wanderlei thought he was all smart and was gonna "put Chael on the spot" in front of all the fighters and it backfired in his face.

e- Also I realized this episode that Vinny Magalhaes was one of Chael's coaches. That'll be good for Chael to get himself understood at practice quickly. I was wondering who he was gonna get for that role. Vinny is a good choice in my opinion.

Yeah, I knew it was because of the UFC translation - it was probably done by Wandy himself, judging by the level of quality.

About the women coaches...sorta, I guess? Hortência (the blonde one) was the best player on the best Brazilian women's basketball team, and I think most people know who she is around these parts. Isabel not so much, although she was also part of an iconic national team for a sport not called soccer. They're well-known, but they're not huge or anything, definitely not draws either. If I were to hazard a guess to why they're picked, Globo's trying to keep the 35+ women watching Big Brother (still a huge thing is Brazil) tuned in to TUF, since that's the lead-in and all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

1st AD posted:

TUF China is being produced by the channel it broadcasts on, but based on the look and feel of the production this season of TUF Brazil looks like it was done in-house.

Globo is fuckin' massive, when they actually make an effort they can do "good production values". I watched just a bit of season 1 and it was a lot lazier than this one in terms of production and editing. It helps that they're trying to "modernize" all of their shows, despite having soap operas with the same plot on primetime since 1980 or so.

Anyway, enough of random Brazil tidbits. Chael being a better coach than Wandy comes to no surprise whatsoever. He also picked the best MW hands-down from what we've seen on the qualifiers. Also, terrible TUF fights, yay! Can never get enough of those.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To be fair, Chael doesn't have "Imma kill you" heat in Brazil, that's more people assuming that all Brazilians are fuckin' Wanderlei Silva. Most people don't care or vaguely know that he said some poo poo about our country, and after the second Anderson fight it's basically water under the bridge because he got ko'ed like a BEEAYTCH. It just works as a promotion thing for him now every time he fights a Brazilian, so it's all positives for the UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
In our defense, 70% of the typical MMA-watching-Brazilian (think the same as the USA but less fat and more tan) thinks Wandy is so dumb they'd rather back a xenophobic North-American WASP than him. Well, that and he's bad now and we give up on athletes who are bad because gently caress losing, so...

Also, it should probably be a soccer ball or a butt. Blanka is fine too, I guess.

• Locked thread