Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
As far as the whole "leave the meat out on the counter for X minutes" don't bother with it...you're not going to impact the interior temp of the meat in any meaningful way. You're only increasing the chance of bacteria growth on the surface.

I need to try smoking a prime rib too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 258 days!)

BraveUlysses posted:

As far as the whole "leave the meat out on the counter for X minutes" don't bother with it...you're not going to impact the interior temp of the meat in any meaningful way. You're only increasing the chance of bacteria growth on the surface.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
SA BBQ Appreciation Station: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

I'm still on the fence with regard to resting. Based on cooking various meats I feel there can be some benefits to it but I'm not sure the moisture explanation is one of them.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Bummer that this went away so soon.
Cheers for the thread.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

7 Old wives tales about cooking steak

revmoo posted:

SA BBQ Appreciation Station: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

I'm still on the fence with regard to resting. Based on cooking various meats I feel there can be some benefits to it but I'm not sure the moisture explanation is one of them.

Resting afterwards, definitely worth it.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 12, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

It seems odd that as a suggestion it suggest searing, then proceeds to debunk searing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Viggen posted:

It seems odd that as a suggestion it suggest searing, then proceeds to debunk searing.

Yes, you do need to work on your reading comprehension

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Viggen posted:

Don't sear because it lock in juices, sear for FLAVOR.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes, you do need to work on your reading comprehension

Post steaks or it never happened.

toplitzin posted:

Don't sear because it lock in juices, sear for FLAVOR.

If it was about flavor, you'd still want it bloody. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: smoking meat, I bought this thermometer for home brewing - it's instant read, and accurate:

Thermoworks RT600C

It ended up being great for any kind of grilling or smoking. It's really made my BBQ'ing more consistent, and keeps me from overcooking meats like chicken, which I used to err on the side of cooked too much versus not enough (it kind of grosses me out).

This is my smoking thermometer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00188KAUI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Give you internal temp as well as the temp in your smoker (or oven, or whatever) for like $6 more than a regular probe thermometer/timer.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Haha thread tag

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Once I started using a digital meat thermometer while grilling everything just came out way better. I am one of those people who couldn't gauge doneness to save my life.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just echoing everyone else--I'm sorry to hear about the recent turn of events. This was my favorite thread on SA.

I hope everything works out for you and that you're able to land back on your feet in sales.

Please keep us updated :)

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
drat dude that's awful. You've definitely proven yourself a valid and effective business man though so best of luck post shop. It's a shame old "dads" can be so incredibly stubborn and short sighted. You'll be alright buddy!

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Chiming in on the sorrow; very enlightening to see how car repair business runs (and should be run, apparently) from the owners perspective. There are several mechanics that write at length here about their escapades, but it is an entirely different thing.
I hope you land on your feet, sorry your FIL is not smart regarding you. Best luck!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
WTF. Just started and finished this thread. And as a micro indie owner I was just about to interject with questions and opinions and love for Turbo, questionable smoking habits, and Miata hate. Dang. Can't you just reverse the wires to make backwards Jeep fuel senders not backwards? Can't you just make it work? Much love FTT and ITT. Make it work.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Otteration posted:

WTF. Just started and finished this thread. And as a micro indie owner I was just about to interject with questions and opinions and love for Turbo, questionable smoking habits, and Miata hate. Dang. Can't you just reverse the wires to make backwards Jeep fuel senders not backwards? Can't you just make it work? Much love FTT and ITT. Make it work.

It just works on resistance, so the polarity doesn't matter. Well it does matter, since one wire is ground and the other goes to the gauge, but essentially it will only read the same resistance across the sender.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Thanks for all your kind words, everyone. It's very humbling.

I'm looking at getting my sales career back in the animal protein industry. I've got some ins but it's not for certain yet. Mark has agreed to run the shop himself until the lease on the building expires at which point he will cut out all the overhead and go mobile for his very best friends and customers, in order to keep their jobs good and cheap. I am not expecting his plan to succeed, but whatever. He's a stubborn man, and although he will never admit he is wrong, his mention of the overhead at the shop driving cost up, and not my pricing, is as much of an apology as I will likely ever get out of him.

IN THE MEANTIME, WE'VE GOT WORK TO DO

BAD PICTURES OF BAD CAR. Bring it on Volvo fanboys, I'm feeling feisty lately. :dukedog:

This 1993 Volvo 240, naturally aspirated, belonged to the late manfriend (RIP) of Mark's ex-mother-in-law, who everybody just calls Granny. Granny is planning on driving the car to give it to his surviving son in Denver, CO and brought it by for a trip check. I think she's nuts, and would sell it in town for $1000, take no less that $800, but what do I know? She will be paying for the fuel, room and board, and flight back home, all to give this junk old thing to a grown rear end man who doesn't want it bad enough to come and get it himself. She claims her late manfriend was only the 2nd owner, the 1st owner being a local doctor's wife in hilariously stereotypical Volvo fashion. The car has spent it's entire life in the desert and has not but a speck of rust.

Of course because she's the mother of his ex-wife, Mark didn't charge any labor for the 2 hours he spent checking it out.

Still can't figure out why your paychecks are a little light, huh? Mmmmkay. :dings:

We smog'd a 1969 Chevy Flareside, if it were 2 years older it'd be exempt from Nevada's awful draconian regulations. Another authentic rust free desert vehicle.

Whale penis intake and MSD ignition aside, it's still running the stock engine, a straight six 250ci.

This is the owner's daily driver, and he does all his own work. We smog it once a year, and that's it.

Meanwhile, the owner of the flooring company just bought and bro'd a 2013 Jeep Rubicon.

Why anyone would spend the money to supercharge one of these is leagues beyond me. He claims it will be his new hunting vehicle, and the interior is equally hilariously bro'd. Braided paracord "oh poo poo" handles, realtree camo seat covers, rifle racks, the works. The supercharger is completely unnecessary for a hunting vehicle, he claims he "wanted more power in case he got stuck". I smiled and nodded, knowing fully in my own head that power is not what gets you unstuck, it's low rpm torque and gearing, but I'm not going to pop his bubble mostly because he spends a poo poo ton of money with us. Power flings mud and digs you in deeper, dummy. Go watch some more Home Improvement.

Anyway it's running like poo poo, throwing a code P06DD, oil pump stuck low, and it goes into limp mode when that code is set. :flaccid:

In doing some research, I've discovered the oil pump in this new piece of poo poo engine has two speeds, and a corresponding sensor. When the PCM commands the oil pump to it's high speed and does not see a high signal from the oil pressure sensor, it sets that code and throws it into limp mode. A rather common problem on these new Jeeps from what I gather. I told him to drive it back to the dealership, because according to him the supercharger didn't void his 3yr/36k warranty. The dealer solution tree is as follows: Replace oil filter with known OE mopar filter, then reprogram PCM, then replace oil pump with updated design. Wow.

Well done, Chrysler, you managed to over engineer and complicate a loving oil pump to the point of failure. Ugh.

The owner is now freaking the gently caress out at the potential of this happening when he is in hot pursuit of an Elk 50 miles out in the middle of loving nowhere. I can just about guarantee that 1990 Jeep we also work on would crawl in to and out of any poo poo hole mud bog in the world, and a lot cheaper too. It's a crying shame whats happened to the Jeep brand lately, makes me absolutely sick.

Moving right along, we got another old friend back in the shop, a 2003 Jaguar X-type owned by a very posh soccer mom.

She's been coming to us for service for a real long time, and is hell bent on keeping her Ford Era Jaguar. I've even told her it's mechanically identical to a Taurus, but she said none of her friends are smart enough to know that, so she can still lord her luxury vehicle over them. That's some pretty impressive mental gymnastics. Further proof that average people just don't care what's under the hood.

It runs the same Ford 3.0 v6 as the same year Taurus, with a slightly different intake manifold for packaging reasons. It's recently started running like poo poo.

The spark plug on #4 had burned itself too far away from the factory gap setting, in turn causing the ignition coil to burn out. As the gap on the spark plug widens with wear, the ignition coil must work that much harder to achieve spark on that cylinder, eventually burning itself out. We replaced all 6 spark plugs and the one bad ignition coil. New ignition coil pictured here.

Another old favorite dropped in for an oil change, a 1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 5 speed. It used to be towed behind the owner's motorhome. They've since sold the motorhome, and these days it's a spare vehicle for their grandkids to tool around in.

It is clean as a whistle and I want to buy it.

Low mileage for the model year, sitting at 95k, the majority of those miles come from being flat towed in neutral behind the motor home. Actual engine running miles are much less than that. It's an immaculate, pristine, example and I want it, I want it, I want it.

We had a pair of Yellow Asian Econoboxes.

The first, a 2007 Hyundai Accent, owned by a newly minted Marine on his way to San Diego for his first set of orders. His parents are longtime customers, and he came by for a trip check and oil change. We found the accessory drive belts cracked and the tires dry rotten. We changed the oil, replaced the belts, and sent him to the Gangster As gently caress Discount Tire up the street for a new set of rubbers.

The second, this 2004 Suzuki Aero, nicknamed "Tweety" by the retiree owner, came in with complaints of a terrible noise and death wobble at 65mph.

"Just drive it at 65mph and you'll feel it!" said the grandma who probably shouldn't be driving anymore.

"Let's give it a visual inspection before a road test." is what I told the mechanic.

Thank god, the right front strut tower was completely busted loose. :stare:

I cannot even fathom the loving gripping actual terror driving it at 65mph would induce, holy loving poo poo. :stonk:

You guys remember the '03 GMC 2500 Durmax/Allison that we replaced the transmission in, right? Well now it's got a water leak... From the water pump. Yeah.

New water pump pictured here, weep hole at bottom center of first pic. You may notice this water pump is gear driven, the gear that drives it is inside the timing cover. I'll let that sink in for a moment.

The pump is built with two seals, because engine oil is present on the gear driven side inside the timing cover, and obviously water on the cooling system side. If the pump was built with one seal, and the seal went out, then it'd be mixing engine oil into the cooling system, and water into the engine oil, which is a very bad thing. Furthermore, no symptoms of the bad seal would be present until it was too late. To prevent this, a weep hole is placed between the two seals, and therefore if one or the other seals ever starts to leak, it is visible from the weep hole, and indicates that the pump needs replacement.

Did I mention it's inside the timing cover?

Removal and replacement requiring 6.5 man hours of labor, by the book. Keep in mind this bastard just ate an Allison tranny, too. Diesels ain't cheap.

I'm mad that this one came out blurry, but the entire front of the engine needs to be torn down. Starter, harmonic balancer, alternator, power steering pump, everything must come off to access the water pump housing. A/C compressor was able to be moved aside, thankfully not requiring an evacuate and recharge of the system, but just barely.

It sits in that hole, there.

The housing is swapped over to the new pump, then installed with a fresh gasket.

Poor guy is in an abusive relationship with this truck, I think. He took the news rather well, though. He understands that these things don't run on air, and he pulls some very big trailers with it, so he expects a certain amount of repairs every so often. On most trucks a water pump isn't such a big deal, so there was a bit of sticker shock at the cool grand our estimate came to, luckily I'm pretty good at explaining away that kind of shock though. A lot better than Mark, who would start discounting the job immediately, that is. I'm not bitter, nope.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 19, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

DrPain posted:

Still can't figure out why your paychecks are a little light, huh? Mmmmkay. :dings:

DrPain posted:

A lot better than Mark, who would start discounting the job immediately, that is. I'm not bitter, nope.

Hold on to that bitterness, it's good for you. Also, how the gently caress did he stay in business as long as he did by handing out discounts like candy and not charging anyone tangentially related to his "friends" labor. Dude sounds like a doormat rather than a businessman.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Aw man, Im sad about you leaving the shop also. This is a good thread :(

I ran into that same kind of water pump fun on a 90-something Maxima one of my friends had. I agreed to do the water pump before I found out it was inside the timing cover and driven by the timing chain. It turned out not to be too bad of a job but when I first looked at it I was like "what the gently caress" when I couldn't find the water pump from the outside. The scariest part is loosening the timing chain to get it out then when you start it back up it makes the most horrendous noises until the oil pressure refills the chain tensioner.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Volvo is a 940 or 740.

Since you mention it I have some questions on animal protein but don't know if I should ask in this thread.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo at the water pump in the dmax. the 6.2/6.5 it replaced takes less than 6 beers to replace.

I'd always heard good things about the pentastar engine, good to know it read the chryco book of etiquette. (also why the wifey is buying a 4.0 and nothing else)

The X type has different intake cams from what I remember too, oh, and the freelander Jatco AWD tranny, unless hers was a 5 speed.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

CharlesM posted:

The Volvo is a 940 or 740.

Since you mention it I have some questions on animal protein but don't know if I should ask in this thread.

You might be right. I'm not a big Volvo guy, and I didn't write up an invoice to check the Year/Make/Model before posting, so...

It wouldn't be the first time animal protein has made an appearance ITT, so I say fire away.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

There wasn't a single thing wrong with that Volvo was there? WAS THERE?

That's because it's almost the last generation of a car designed in 1980 and a motor designed in 1960. It might just be the most reliable car you've ever worked on. They cost only a few hundred bucks a year in routine maintenance, and the worst problem it will ever have is a worn out fuel pump.

Owning it for a bit would turn you into a big Volvo guy.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

LloydDobler posted:

There wasn't a single thing wrong with that Volvo was there? WAS THERE?

That's because it's almost the last generation of a car designed in 1980 and a motor designed in 1960. It might just be the most reliable car you've ever worked on. They cost only a few hundred bucks a year in routine maintenance, and the worst problem it will ever have is a worn out fuel pump.

Owning it for a bit would turn you into a big Volvo guy.

The accessory belts were a little stiff, the timing belt was coming due on mileage, the transmission pan gasket was leaking and therefore the tranny was 2 quarts low on fluid, and the A/C compressor was locked up solid. Your typical low humidity, high heat regional problems. All of these problems were known about by the late owner and a box of parts to fix them sat in the back of the car. We topped off the tranny, figured the belts were good enough to make the trip, and let the timing belt/compressor be the problem of the next owner, if he even keeps it, if you even need A/C in Denver.

Didn't want to charge Granny for it on a car she was giving away.

I love a good hatchback, though, and wouldn't be opposed to driving one for a while.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

DrPain posted:

the transmission pan gasket was leaking and therefore the tranny was 2 quarts low on fluid

2 QUARTS? Not pints?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Noeland posted:

2 QUARTS? Not pints?

Yes, quarts.

Take your pick, I've got generic and OE in stock right now.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Once my Volvo transmission (AW-71, same transmission) radiator line burst on the freeway. Added a quart on the side of the freeway, made it home fifteen miles away, patched the line. It was down three and a half quarts. (!!!)

Runs fine now. Not sure what you have to do to destroy those things.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

aisin warner makes good gearboxes

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DrPain posted:

You might be right. I'm not a big Volvo guy, and I didn't write up an invoice to check the Year/Make/Model before posting, so...

It wouldn't be the first time animal protein has made an appearance ITT, so I say fire away.

OK, so when you say animal protein, do you mean food industry by-products or is it like the dead animals from shelters, etc? Or do I have a completely wrong definition? What is it used for? Does it end up in pet food?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CharlesM posted:

OK, so when you say animal protein, do you mean food industry by-products or is it like the dead animals from shelters, etc? Or do I have a completely wrong definition? What is it used for? Does it end up in pet food?

Probably food for livestock -- poultry, equine, cows/pigs/sheep, etc.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

ultrabay2000 posted:

I've destroyed a couple AW71's behind a turbo motor, and an aw70 and its replacement (an aw71) behind a naturally aspirated motor.

They do not like sustained high rpm beatings.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

Probably food for livestock -- poultry, equine, cows/pigs/sheep, etc.

You wouldn't feed it to cows, sheep or other ruminants because of mad cow, others I dunno.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ultrabay2000 posted:

Once my Volvo transmission (AW-71, same transmission) radiator line burst on the freeway. Added a quart on the side of the freeway, made it home fifteen miles away, patched the line. It was down three and a half quarts. (!!!)

Agreed with Slow Is Fast, you really have to whip AW boxes pretty hard to kill them.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I guess I was a little too intentionally vague when I said "animal protein" I meant selling seafood, of both the swimming and shelled variety, to the local area restaurants and casinos.

Don't want to be any more specific than that, because like I said, it's tenuously tentative right now.

Failing that, I'm confident I could talk my way into a service writer or parts position at a number of dealerships in town.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh thanks sorry about the misunderstanding. A dealer would be wise to pick you up as a service writer.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Darn, I was kind of hoping 'animal protein' in Las Vegas meant giving women a hot beef injection. That'd also make for a great thread.

This finely desert-preserved woman came in today with a rusty water pump and needing a smog check. I was happy to oblige.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

CountOfNowhere posted:

I've destroyed a couple AW71's behind a turbo motor, and an aw70 and its replacement (an aw71) behind a naturally aspirated motor.

I think we killed a AW-70 by towing a sailboat eight hundred miles for a Florida vacation. I believe you need to get a dedicated transmission cooler if you want to tow anything of substance with a Volvo 240.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I killed four AW70s due to what I think turned out to be coolant contamination in the fluid circuit. Still bitter and haven't sourced a new one yet to check after replacing the radiator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ultrabay2000 posted:

Mine had a handy indicator when it needed more fluid: An ear piercing scream when first taking off from a stop. Pour a quart in there and off you go!

DrPain posted:

The accessory belts were a little stiff, the timing belt was coming due on mileage, the transmission pan gasket was leaking and therefore the tranny was 2 quarts low on fluid, and the A/C compressor was locked up solid. Your typical low humidity, high heat regional problems.

I'm pretty sure this is how it shipped from the factory.

• Locked thread