Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DrPain posted:

You'll have to excuse me if I sometimes don't have the same technical understanding that some of you do, I'm a salesman by trade, but I'm smart enough to admit what I don't know, and I've always been a quick learner.
Have good people dealing with the technical details, listen to them when they say something is impossible or just plain wrong (but make sure they can back it up), and balance that against the fact that it's not their business, and technical people are often not all that mindful of the realities of a business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"No, it's not intentionally water-cooled."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Huggable Bear King posted:

I lost about 1000 man points having to explain this to the mechanic, who then advised me never to work on my own car again. :(
Oh, like he's never done it himself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Logically, wouldn't it be the second one? If it were the first one, wouldn't the second flag finding the broken bolt, so they can't be blamed for it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DrPain posted:

We've installed the bulletproof EGR cooler upgrade kit in the past, but they are not cheap nor easy. On his truck he'd be looking at about $6-7k installed, and he didn't bat an eye at that number, but when he needs to spend $2500 to get the loving thing running right he squealed like a stuck pig.

:negative:
Holy poo poo, how much? For an EGR cooler? Am I missing something here?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DrPain posted:

Diesel poo poo is mondo expensive dude, I don't know what else to say.

The last one we did was 23 hours of labor and we listed the cooler upgrade kit for $3500, so uh, yeah?
Don't know what the market's like in the US or what an equivalent engine would be in the UK, but $6-7k here is "rebuilt TDV8 in a modern Range Rover" territory.

I'm not saying you're overcharging or anything, it's just that the idea of that kind of level of expenditure being apparently on the verge of necessity to prevent your engine eating itself makes me go :psyduck:. Why on earth would anyone buy a truck like that out of warranty?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You could get ZJs with manuals, it's the WJ that was auto or nothing.

The 42RE is the really crap one though, I thought the others weren't so bad.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

"Hey so have you got the stuff to lift this?"
"...we have a forklift"
"Ok I'll just come back late-"
"NO YOU WON'T WE NEED THAT EQUIPMENT TODAY OR THE ENTIRE SCHEDULE GETS hosed UP YOU STAY RIGHT THERE WE WILL MAKE THIS WORK"

And that's how machinery ends up on the ground.
Machinery movement is pretty much the "If I fits I sits" end of forward planning almost everywhere. Is there any combination of equipment that will allow us to do this? Right, fine, get it done.

It's not their 200 grand CNC.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phone posted:

My incoherent post earlier was trying to wrap my head around why a front engine, rear wheel drive car would have shift linkages.

The Miata, S2000, Corvettes (and everything else with a T-56), etc all have the shifter that mounts directly into the transmission.
Yeah, the BMW thing is a shift rod where the lever end pivot mounts on the bodyshell. I remember replacing my shifty bushings in the E30 with as little dismantling as I could get away with, and frankly, if I ever need to do another one, the prop will be straight out. Doing it in situ was a proper "Not my fault, monkey bastard hands" exercise.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
With a diesel, you can have a lever to dump compression (holding the valves open, for example) to help you spin it. No compression, spin it up, kick it back in and it starts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DrPain posted:

I am absolutely transparent and up front with everyone I do business with. I expect the same in return.
Both sides of this argument are correct, depending on the situation. For the customer you're talking about, explaining to them why there's a back charge is clearly fine. For other customers, the sensible option may be to hide the charge with an additional bit of labour or similar. For another type of customer, you're going to be better to just write it off.

The skill is in knowing which customer you're dealing with at the time.

With a garage/workshop/supplier etc I use regularly, goodwill or a favour is often a lot more useful to me than money.

DrPain posted:

With regard to buying at Carmax...
One of the best get-outs of this I saw was a guy who had a fully restored late-sixties Aston Martin DBS V8 to fit the "presenting good face to clients" role while buying a car he wanted.

:smug: "Oh, a '14 Mercedes? Well, hopefully things will pick up for you a bit in the future."

It's all a bit of a moot point, though. If your wife deals with accountancy for a living, she should be able to work things pretty well with the taxes etc to hammer down the out-of-pocket cost for the car over her period of ownership.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Of course, there are drawbacks to using tubes.
There is another factor, which is when you're trying to run some combination of tubed and tubeless components mixed and matched - tubeless wheels often have a deeper profile to them, and this can distort an inner tube when fitted, and lower their life, while a tubeless tyre can have a rougher internal surface that would abrade a tube quite quickly. Also, while you may have a tube-type wheel that is airtight enough to run a tubeless tyre, it quite probably won't have the seating beads that a tubeless profile does, and so not retain the tyre as effectively in the event of very low pressure or a blowout.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I'm coming at it from a car perspective, it's an issue that can cause headaches for people with classics or more truck-like vehicles.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

If you don't like congestion, ride public transport!
The primary issue I have with public transport is that it's full of the loving public.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

Weird, the owner of the indy shop I take my car to lets me get underneath the car on the lift and everything. On the other hand he used to own the car I drive so maybe he makes an exception?
Probably. My MOT guy knows me, and knows I'm used to an engineering environment, so we're cool.

In general, I've found that walking in somewhere like you belong there will mean no-one says anything unless they've got a proper top-down security policy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I saw a thing the other day, and while it seems a little over-the-top, I can see the benefit of it: Taking videos of the work required on a car and sending it to the customer so they can see what you're talking about without coming in.

Being able to do the "workshop walkaround" for the customer remotely seems a good idea, and I think I agree with the logic that it makes it easier to justify the work you are trying to sell them, while also showing that you are transparent about what you do. It could be really helpful to customers who can't get out the office to be shown what's wrong on the car itself before agreeing the work, and covers the business if there's trouble by showing why it was required to be done.

May not get the :corsair: types on it, but maybe worth a trial run with one of the younger guys and a couple of likely customers?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There are upsides to an independent shop, though:

(That's an MOT certificate :laugh:)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

If we sell Spirit bad parts that wind up getting installed on an airplane or a larger assembly and have to be removed we definitely have to pay for it. The last time that happened it ended up requiring Boeing well over a thousand man hours of labor to repair the faulty poo poo. Total fine ran into the 6 digits
Remember Baldrick, when we see a safety critical part, we are not at home to Mr Cockup.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm all for such in-depth legislation until:

1) Approval is only ascertained by testing at their designated facilities. Give me a spec to work to, tell me what I must do, and confirm I did that if you want to? Fine, not a problem. Insist that I can only do this if I submit samples to your test lab, and pay you several grand to do testing which I have facilities available to do myself - for something that's a one-off for me, not something I want type approval for selling - then that's just cuntish behaviour.

2) It descends into "well we're engineers and we say so". Yeah? Well, I'm an engineer, and I say otherwise. Bring it. Tell me what the spec I need to meet is. gently caress your appeal to authority poo poo, put numbers on paper.

I don't mind rules and regulations over what may and may not be done, but I expect them to be based on actual facts, and be applied as a standard you must meet, not a process you must go through. It's the difference between having an exhaust sniffer test you have to pass at a given level, and being told you can't change certain things in case they affect the emissions, but not actually testing the emissions to check.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Munin posted:

Teachers don't let you mark your own homework either.

Closer to the topic, the state allowing people to do a car smog test without being a certified facility.
More like not allowing anyone to be licensed to do emissions testing.

There's a difference between a redneck looking at something and saying "yup, that'll do" and an engineer with a NADCAP-certified test lab to play with.

Imposing requirements and expecting them to be met is one thing. Saying "I do not accept this proof because reasons" is quite another, and it's the latter that annoys me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Safety Dance posted:

If the whole world was nice and honest, you'd be right, InitialDave. Unfortunately, the real world is filled with cheats and liars out to make a quick buck, lives of strangers be damned.
Oh, I don't even mind 3rd-party inspection being required. I do mind said third party being a government-assigned monopoly that is allowed to charge you thousands to do OEM-level testing even for a one-off thing for personal use, and probably isn't regulated or audited as tightly as what I'd use to do my own testing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Mmm, we have similar things with similar limitations/workarounds here, and again, I'm fine with that.

I'll explain a situation I had which is the kind of problem I'm talking about.

I wanted a US-style 2" receiver hitch on my Jeep. Easily available to order from the US, would bolt straight on.

The car was new enough that towing equipment must be type approved.

This type approval can only be carried out by the government agency responsible for it, at their designated site, at a cost of about £3,000. No parity with US testing standards, has to be the full UK test even if it's rated in the US to a higher capacity. All the specs to be met were available, so you could (if you have access to load testing rigs etc) check whether you meet them - but no, that's not acceptable, the only permitted solution is to pay them to test it for you. I can use this equipment to prove compliance of flight-critical ENSIP parts for commercial aircraft, and yet apparently there is absolutely no way I could possibly be able to evaluate a loving towbar against a fairly simple set of requirements.

It's why I disagree with things like the CARB certification for engine modifications in CA - if you don't want people modifying things to output more than X of something, that's fine, but at least let them prove compliance rather saying only stuff you yourselves have tested (at great cost to the builder) may be fitted.

I guess the equivalent in your case would be someone telling you that only brands A, B, and C of coilovers can be fitted, and when you say "but this brand of coilovers is functionally identical, meets all the same requirements, and I am qualified to say that", the answer being simply "nope, tough".

I'm all for approval processes and making sure people are modifying cars safely, but these discussions should be technical ones amongst people who understand what they're doing, not "computer says no" top-down dictation of what you may do, controlled by a monopoly/quango.

Yes, I understand the need to stop idiots doing something stupid and lying about compliance, but I am not them, they do not matter, and I should not be dragged down from doing what I want properly because of an inability to catch/control the chancers.

It's a very specific application of "rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men".

Unfortunately, it's how things are and will generally continue to be, but that doesn't mean I have to like or agree with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You used to be able to sand down the back of Ford badges and re-colour them however you wanted, not sure if they've changed in that respect.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

Some of that stamped/pulled mesh is pretty amazing for Bondo filling work. The PO on my beetle literally laid down an inch or more bondo over a fairly large area when doing some work. I cut that poo poo out, molded some mesh to the body shape, and my bondo is 3-4 mm thick at the thickest.
I have several car repair books from the seventies/eighties that cheerfully explain how to fix proper, full-on, I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-British-Leyland rust holes in sills and the like with chicken wire and filler.

On monocoques.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

piss boner posted:

Whoosh. You lost me.
Holiday season. Nice sunny weather outside.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
13 doesn't get trouble with that, and I don't think Goatse Guy did either (though she's now moved). We're mostly normal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Wow, and I thought the hydraulic fan on my Jeep was a pontlessly complex design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DrPain posted:

They're not so much annoying as they are free spirit artsy types.
I'm not sure I understand the distinction.

• Locked thread