Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have been waiting for this thread for a while. OLD heavy equipment is one of the few things that will outlast Cher, twinkies and Cockroaches when the earth ends. Simple rear end machines, the engines have no more power than a moped, but there is a shitload of torque.

I would like to learn the dark arts of hydraulic repairs eventually. I see old skidsteers floating around that need work, wouldn't take much to repair it and get them back to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
When I worked at Menards we had diesel forklifts. We removed the governors off them and they would FLY through the yards. The electric ones were not nearly as fun to screw with though, but they were heavy as gently caress and of course.... 100% torque at 0 RPM.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Firing customers is the best business decision you can make as well. My G/Fs dad runs a muffler/small repair shop and as of a couple of years now, he just has been firing customers because hes sick of the bullshit. Surprisingly they come back and stop bitching and just do what tells them to do.

Side note: He is a pretty honest businessman, hes in a small town so he can't rip people off, but at the same time, he is not going to deal with the bullshit.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Was it a worn out old Boxster?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Huggable Bear King posted:

I lost about 1000 man points having to explain this to the mechanic, who then advised me never to work on my own car again. :(

If I could think of all the gently caress ups any shop does.... this is nothing new. Thats what happens when you first try things, you break poo poo, learn from it, then try again.

Don't be a quitter. Look at all the odd ball/one of car/cars with notorious problems on here. If we had half a clue, we wouldn't be driving one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
No core deposit on the block? Thats.... unusual.

Being in Vegas, how often do you deal with the poo poo boxes from new england/midwest that's more rust than metal?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I mean a 305 can be built to produce some power, but I guess its easier/cheaper to go LSX/350 route.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I want to know more about this method. My Audi needs an alignment :(

I was actually just reading about this the other day..... it still seems voodoo-ish, but it starts to make sense after reading it a couple of times.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/chassis/hrdp_0411_wheel_alignment_guide/viewall.html

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
[quote="Seat Safety Switch" post=""427228406"
"]

Also you don't want the 3.0L Ranger engine. You just don't.
[/quote]

I feel like a Ranger with a Vulcan is just so guys can say "Yeah its got a V6", when all it does is just waste gas.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 21, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Goober Peas posted:

And yet it's still better than the Cologne 2.8 or the Lima 2.3 (unless you boost the Lima)

Oh god that piece of poo poo! I remember my buddy had a Cologne powered 2.8 Ranger .... what a pile of crap. My Lebaron with its wheezy 318 was quicker than that thing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I really need to get a photo of my buddies farm truck.... that thing, there is not a single word to describe it.... just layers of cow poo poo, mud, sweat. The smell is horrendous. :catstare:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Which I find amusing because I still see the old 7.3s running around with no issues, other than rust.

Any other cool shop poo poo?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Land Rovers are V8 powered twin beam axles, a really kick rear end AWD system, and have 4Lo... with transmissions that stand abuse.

Oh but you want reliable :v:

Actually old Blazers/suburbans before 1991 (I think that's the cut off) came with the same poo poo and better at guzzling gas.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its nice to see what rock auto has but I get why you would resurface in house. I mean your paying a guy to attend to the machine... but he's also not standing there too. He can start a pass... drain oil on a car, set up the next pass, put oil in a car, rinse and repeat.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its narrow but built for small spaces. When I worked at Menards the only decently large ones were the diesels we used in the outside yard. The inside electrics were tiny but also had killer lifting power.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DrPain posted:

I'm doing this 90% for myself, and I'm just amazed that other people seem to enjoy my brand of insanity.

And here I sit thinking how wonderful it would be to take over the g/fs dads muffler shop. Part of owning the shop would be for me to have some cash, and other part would be private play place. Hes retiring with in the next 10 years but I don't think he would ever stop running the shop though. It would be nice to buy it, and have him run the show while I continue with train poo poo.

But yeah, that's an awful idea, running a shop for my private play place and working with family......

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DrPain posted:

Crazy like a fox, am I right? :v:

Understatement of the year. I know I will never get rich at running a shop, but drat, it would be nice to run a good well known shop that people would bring their poo poo to me to get fixed.

But, FWIW, hes already well known in the Corvette groups as the guy who can do the best exhaust, and does tons of custom work for people all over the state. We casually talked about him selling off the shop and buying a small shop to do "one of" jobs (of course we will have to take random poo poo heap trucks that need stacks coming through the bed) just enough to pay the bills, make a little income and have fun with it.

Though they say you should never turn your hobby into a job, but doing something like that wouldn't be awful. Keep the initial investment low, that way if things dont work out, it would be easy to sell every thing off and recoup everything.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think I have a poo poo blend door motor too on the suburban.... but I am also wondering if its calibration as well. Isn't there a sequence of unhooking the battery and turn if on etc etc?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My blend doors are on the 2005 Yukon XL. Its the drivers side that has issues making hot and cold just right.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Poor Chrysler never really had the best of luck since the 80s and the downfall of their impressively large sedans.
Mitsubishi mixed... then Mercedes... now Fiat. Its like the mash ups can never really break to their own in house engineering.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DrPain posted:

The Monte Carlo SS INTIMIDATOR is back today for the valve covers, so I'll have some neat pictures of that job.

Do you ever feel intimidated by that ride rolling in?

FYI - Love your Ranger, and now I want one to tool around in.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I was going to say.... Heavy trucks are always a gigantic bitch, until the mid-late 2000's when they wised up and made poo poo standard.

Whats that behind the motor? Allison Auto?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DrPain posted:

He probably could have bought a fleet of Rangers or S10s which would more than suit his painting purposes for what he's wasted on this stupid loving bro diesel at this point, and that to me is the most delicious irony.

Its morons. To big of vehicles for to little of work.

Speaking of Rangers, any more monkeying around with yours?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slavvy posted:

What an amazingly ugly vehicle.

You should feel intimidated.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Your little Ranger is quickly becoming one of my favorite AI pickups. But Fartpipe/Pipkin does have you beat in the "cool" truck factor. Its hard to compete with a nice 1968(right?) C10 with good patina

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The 7.3 has been regarded as a good motor, its not the best out there but it has worked well and is extremely durable. The 6.0 is trash.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

I just put the parts in the oven on its lowest setting (175°F) and play hot-potato with it all the way to the press... or wear gloves like a smart person. Yeah, that's what I do, definitely.

Lets be honest.... He is just running through the house bouncing it hand to hand, haha.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My 550i burned oil as well.... about a quart ever 4000 miles. I wondered why that compartment in the trunk was oil bottle sized.

Anyways, did the Intimdator come back in? Those style Monte Carlos are just.... just awful. The Lumina 2 door models were decent, if not boring as gently caress.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Some times Rovers need an extra crank or two.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Not to derail the thread, but if there is one thing I would like to own if I ever do get some land is an old 2 cylinder diesel JD tractor.

400lbs of torque @ 825 RPMS (don't look at the measly 68 horsepower). Oh and its 7.7L between the 2 cylinders. Secretly, I really want a 6030, but I have no use for a tractor that big. 200 HP with some silly off the charts torque at like 8-900 lbs.

Back to idiot customers.

Edit: I are gud at spells.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 3, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nah, the 2.5L is a stroked Lima, not a MZR. It's what came in the Ranger from 1998 until when they switched to the MZR.

It's also still loving gutless.

So is the Vulcan they stuffed in em for years.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What's some of the rarer cars you have had in the shop? (astons, rolls, etc)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

To add to Dr.pains gay rear end smogger post.

you can NOT legally swap engines here. gas to diesel, or diesel to gas, or even going form a v6 to a v8.

Thank god for living in fly over states!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

?

E: You coulda provided beers and I woulda shoved a ballgag in marks mouth and did it for ya.

This is the perfect solution for every thing :golfclap:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
And yet GM makes absolutely fantastic V8s. The LSx motors are pretty much the most bang for the buck any one can get their hands on.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DrPain posted:

This was his reply:

Nothing says "I don't give a gently caress what it costs" like a retired cop chilling in an inflatable hot tub. I ordered the transmission and am waiting for it to be delivered as well.

This is a man with the right idea.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The whole manual vs auto debate is not going anywhere anymore. Obviously, the manufacturers have decided their transmissions are good enough to ditch the manuals. (Except Dodge because they are made out of a wet fart) And none of them seem to be hurting in terms of sales.

And even if the big rigs are shifting towards autos or autos with clutch or what ever they use, it must be pretty good. Also, the pool of people knowing how to drive a stick is getting smaller every day, and business owners know that its cheaper to keep an auto than it is to keep trying clutches. Its not like people are taking their semi for a nice country drive or auto crossing, they are built to make money with minimal downtime.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This makes no sense. I'm ready to hear more customer stories.

Oh FYI - I did that reset on my suburban Dr pain... Didn't work... Looks like I'm replacing a blend door motor, but its not awful.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Whats that blanking plate for? PTO?

Never mind, I was thinking about something else. But still curious what its for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Because understanding the problem and actually taking a little time to read takes :effort:

Actually reading that article on megasquirt, why mess with a carb when you can plop a TBI in its place, get a few more MPGs, make a few more HP and eliminate any drivability issues.

• Locked thread