Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Just hopping in to say that I love threads like this because they allow me to live vicariously through them. I miss my indie shop mechanic gig so bad. It is my life's goal to eventually own and run my own shop.

cursedshitbox posted:

Your tech got so hosed. :(

IIRC thats about the book time to pull a engine from the discovery. and that has miiiiles more space.

Wait, is 23 hours seriously book time for a Disco engine R/R? Cuz we used to do them in like, 3-4 hours. Record was 1 hour 45 minutes from driving into the bay to engine, trans, and t-case sitting on the floor.

Apparently I was getting seriously hosed on my pay (more than I already knew), but I still think I'd prefer that job over my current one.

As a UTI graduate myself, I have long suspected that it has done more harm than good for my career, because it seems everybody has a dozen stories of some fuckhead UTI hotshot who was more useless than a one legged-man in an asskicking contest. I tend not to even mention it anymore.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My first car needed new struts, and I figured I could probably handle that myself, because being 16 means you know everything, right? :v: It was a very humbling experience, watching my car get loaded onto a flatbed, the one corner I had taken apart riding on the tire. I had managed to over-extend the halfshaft, causing the inner CV joint to come apart. :downs: At least I didn't snap any bolts.

Fortunately that was the only time I've had to do that.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I actually called a coworker over to look at it, and neither of us could remember seeing one of those without rust.

I was thinking the same thing, but yesterday I noticed one a block away from my job, same color, but a year older (has different tail-lights, '90-91), in the same perfect condition. Maybe the maroon paint has better rust inhibiting properties?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Love this thread more every day, and that exhaust on the Ranger is the loving tits.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Volvo 240 heater core. Not my picture.

Wow, whoever was doing that job really went overboard on removing poo poo. Like, goddamn :stare: I managed to get it done on my friends 244 while still keeping most of the HVAC system/internal dashboard pieces in place. Lots of swearing was involved.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Seriously, or cam primed. Oil fired is really loving lazy and stupid.

I believe you mean, "Ford engineers are really loving lazy and stupid". They always, always find a way to make simple poo poo that other manufacturers figured out years ago really complicated. Like the Germans, but without any intelligence.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

some of us have a 1-1/8" drain plug placed horizontally right beside the driverside exhaust downpipe.
It'll dump 7.5 quarts of high zddp 15-40 in about 10 seconds.

I think telling the newbie to do an oil change on a Disco without prior warning is some form of hazing in Rover shops. The one I worked at got me good with it.

I change my own oil because it's a good excuse to get under the car and check other stuff out every couple months, and I know it's done right with the kind of oil I want, not whatever brand the shop gets kickbacks from for forcing on their customers.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tommychu posted:

I've seen some people do some pretty rednecked poo poo to DOHC engines (and Fazdas in particular, though Mitsu-Dodges are also frequent victims), so I'm sure it'll happen at some point. Given the price tag on an MZR right now it might take a few years but while generally stupid, hicks are also pretty fearless with the amount of R&D they'll throw out the window.

Redneck engineering works on the same principles as Orc technology sometimes. It looks like it should work (to them), and miraculously somehow it does. Until it is shown to somebody that knows whats up, who gets one look at the hacked together harness and Lovecraftian suspension and says "there's no way that works at all" at which point the project usually spontaneously catches on fire.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Liquid Communism posted:

How in the infinite mercy of Jesus tittyfucking Christ do you run an engine bone-dry twice. This. This is why we can't have nice things.

I have a cousin that killed not one but two loving Volvo B230 engines because she never ever checked the oil or even had the filter changed. Shortly after the 3rd(!) engine was installed in her poor 240 she managed to roll it into a ditch. I don't speak to her anymore but I doubt her maintenance habits have changed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

I miss being in a shop so much, I will happily read about other people working in a shop. Stockholm Syndrome got me hard.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

opengl128 posted:

I love this thread because its what this thread was before it turned into people complaining about other drivers not using turn signals.

I was kinda upset when that happened, I wanted to see 13" tear peoples idiot decisions apart. Then by page 3 it's nothing but traffic-chat.

I freely admit to being just as complicit in that as everybody else here, but I do wish it had stayed on its original topic.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

bandman posted:

Yup. My 4Runner has the filter mountee nearly horizontal and tucked up behind the exhaust manifold on the driver's side. There is also a skid pan directly under it, so you have to remove the skid pan, somehow reroute the flow of oil (I use a scrap of cardboard folded like a trough), or just mop a shitload of oil off the skid pan. Removing the skid pan only takes removing 5 bolts, but making the cardboard trough is way easier.

The 3S-GE (in fact all the S code engines) have the filter tucked halfway underneath the exhaust manifold, and the engines are mounted at a ~30 degree angle with the head leaning towards the firewall, so you bathe the whole side of the engine whenever you pull the filter. I've seen some later engines with a stamped steel drain trough in junkyards, but always forget to grab one.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
They were in Camrys, Solaras, Celicas, and MR2s in the US. As far as I know they all had the lean so it would fit under the hood. As a side bonus it marginally improves the weight distribution as well, since it puts weight directly over and behind (instead of in front of) the axles.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Empty corner of the lot and a video camera.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Extra posted:

How does a business that does this survive?

e: What I mean to say here is that are all automotive problems so exact of a science that your average shop should be able to exactly pinpoint the cause of a problem without spending some labor to diagnose and replace parts that could be causing the issue?

Except in pretty rare cases, yes. A good mechanic should be able to figure out exactly what is causing the problem without just shotgunning parts at it. In many shops if a tech fucks up they eat the parts bill personally, which also gives incentive to get it right the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
drat, sad to see this thread going this way, it's been one of my favorites here. :(

• Locked thread