Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Very cool - one of my unlikely aspirations is to run a garage so I'm interested to see how this works!

Do you have any major certs/training like ASE?

Do you do mostly domestic or do you get awesome Audi timing chain guide jobs too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Got an alignment done at Mavis Discount Tire on my Miata before I sold it a month or so ago.

Drove straight and true - but the steering wheel was cocked at a 45 degree angle! loving unbelievable. I didn't even bother going back and sold it like that to a manager of a Midas nearby.

I'm going to performance shops from now on for alignments.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I talked a couple I was fixing a computer for out of buying a V8 Monte Carlo. They were absolutely convinced it was nearly identical to a sprint cup Nascar, just like the one Dale drives. When I explained to them it was a FWD V8 they were baffled and they got a GTO instead!
Very interesting people, lived in easily the biggest mansion I've ever been in, but fully decked out floor to ceiling in Nascar memorabilia. :911:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I put 3 expansion tanks/sets of coolant hoses on my old E46 330Ci, which were all made of HARD BRITTLE TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE plastic. What a loving nightmare the cooling system was on the car. The thermostat was also this massive piece and not just a little dongle like on most real cars. I loved the drat thing but holy poo poo, every repair was a whole new experience.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
This makes me feel a lot better about the 10K change interval on my Fiesta ST. I have 6k on it now and I feel terrible not changing the oil even though it's a lease. I'm going to stop worrying!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Nodoze posted:

My favorite is BMW saying the normal tolerance for oil burning is 1 quart per 1k miles, while saying you can do 15k oil change intervals

Absolutely true. I had an '01 330ci and it burned a quart of synthetic every 500 miles or less. It was insane - the dealer said it was within spec to burn a quart at every fill up. No leaks at all. I just started using walmart oil because it was getting ridiculous. The best was the trunk had 2 perfect cubbies for oil bottles.

Sometimes I really miss that car but then I think about poo poo like that...

Someday I'll have another bmw, but it's going to be a lease with maintenance completely covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I love this thread, keep fighting the good fight Doctor Pain.

This is not helping me in my dilemma to quit being an IT/sysadmin and become a mechanic. I miss actually doing hands on work and actually... Working all day and seeing tangible progress. It also sucks to stare at a screen for 8+ hours a day and then go home and do the same thing. I'd take a massive pay cut starting so low in the field, but drat if I wouldn't actually enjoy my job.

• Locked thread