Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Mojo Threepwood posted:

My question is has Boeing always been like this, or was there a shift to more jackass management a few years ago?

Boeing decided that they would rather spend their energy crushing unions and being dicks than designing planes correctly or implementing a supply chain that wasn't retarded beyond belief.

Boeing execs: You see, we can totally build plane parts for one plane in over 20 countries with the lowest bidder! Wait, why don't our parts fit?!

My brother's job for the last 5 years has been working on fixing this issue. He spends more time disassembling planes than assembling them. With the stores I hear, I'd rather fly on Airbus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

KomradeX posted:

I live in New York City and read thinking of moving out to Seattle cause I heard cost of living isn't as high as it is here. This thread is kind of selling me on the idea of not moving out to the Pacific Northwest.

Washington is fine, except for traffic, which might have a chance of getting fixed were it not for two factors: 1. Seattle is on an isthmus, offering few to no opportunities for a bypass other than building a big expensive tunnel, which they are doing now. Or were, until the billion dollar drilling machine stopped working when it ran into pipes the people on the project had not been told were there, due to communication failures/bureaucracy. 2. Eastern Republicans have a knee-jerk hatred of Seattle, and have been using voter dislike of taxes to deliberately block transit improvements whenever possible.
But other than that, it's pretty cool. Just don't use your car to commute, use public transit. There's a great music scene (I am told - too poor right now to verify that, and living in a suburb of Seattle), a plethora of amazing restaurants from practically every place in the world, many cool museums and art places, being within driving distance of some of the top ten most beautiful places in the whole goddamn country, being a ferry ride away from Victoria, B.C., and a drive away from Bellingham (where you should actually move to, really), mail ballots for voting instead of polling places with long lines, cleaner air than many other major cities, being a train ride away from Portland, but not actually being Portland, a major film festival (SIFF), playing host to The Best Football Team :hawksin: AND the Worst Baseball Team, two zoos in the area (both are good), playing host to a building that looks like crystallized skittle vomit (the EMP), a pretty terrific theater scene, playing host to cultural and ethnic festivals almost every week, hosting major conventions for every manner of dorkery, and there is the SPACE NEEDLE.
advice if you do decide to move to Washington state:
1. Do not live in Bellevue
2. Do not live in Federal Way :smith:
3. Do not live anywhere east of the mountains
4. Do not live in Vancouver
5. Do not live on the east side of Seattle

Overall, if you are interested in moving here, it should be for more than cheaper living. DO THE RESEARCH.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Eastern Washington is great, just don't talk politics if you can help it while you're there. Talk about WSU, EWU and what kind of tractor you're planning on buying. It's also a really beautiful area.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The-Mole posted:

Eastern Washington is great, just don't talk politics if you can help it while you're there. Talk about WSU, EWU and what kind of tractor you're planning on buying. It's also a really beautiful area.

Make sure you wear flannel and talk like a good old boy, too.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

The-Mole posted:

I think you have severe Stockholm Syndrome.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

No need for that, just wave or at least nod at everyone you drive/walk by.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Irradiation posted:

I think you have severe Stockholm Syndrome.

East of the cascades is at least affordable to live in, if you can find employment. A far claim from Seattle or Portland.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Boy, a light rail system spanning from Everett through Seattle to Tacoma sure would've been nice right around now.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Spatula City posted:

Turnout's not as much of an issue as we've got loving MAIL BALLOTS, HELL YES. :smugdog:

Oh! I forgot to mention the vote-by-mail! It didn't even seem to be something to mention, in the same way that I don't mention that my laptop has a color monitor. A pretty apt comparison, since the last time Oregon had booth elections, I had a monochrome laptop.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

glowing-fish posted:

Oh! I forgot to mention the vote-by-mail! It didn't even seem to be something to mention, in the same way that I don't mention that my laptop has a color monitor. A pretty apt comparison, since the last time Oregon had booth elections, I had a monochrome laptop.

It still blows my mind that some places don't have that.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Wanamingo posted:

It still blows my mind that some places don't have that.

Yeah, what do they do? Gather in front of the rock in the town square and hear two candidates make speeches and whoever gets the most applause wins?

I edited the original entry to talk about Vote-by-Mail.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is hatred of Californians still a thing in Washington/Oregon?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

herbaceous backson posted:

Is hatred of Californians still a thing in Washington/Oregon?

Just the ones that move north

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

I was born and lived in the Tri-Cities for five years before my family moved to the Salem area. The regional issue that always fascinates me is Hanford. It's the perfect combination of economic, nuclear weapon and environmental issues. First the government pumped in a ton of money to make weapons. It had a lot of support but I remember my parents being members of a local group in the 80's that would protest for shutting it down. Then they finally do stop producing weapons and admit how much they hosed up the local habitat due to leaking storage tanks. Now they're getting a ton of money to clean up the mess they made in the first place. Back a few years when the recession was in full force, you'd hardly believe the rest of the country was struggling with how well they weathered the worst of it, due to all the money they were getting. It still surprises me how much pride the area seems to take in it all and how much Hanford effects the area. You may think The Simpsons exaggerates the nuclear city but you can go bowl a few frames at Atomic Bowl and Richland High School is still home of the Bombers:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/ap-newsbreak-concerns-raised-hanford-tanks-22726209 - recent news
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site - obligatory Wikipedia link
http://wcpeace.org/History/WCPeace/wcpeace&bomb.htm - A interesting retrospective from an activist with some neat photos

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

andrew smash posted:

Just the ones that move north

Seriously everyone I've ever heard bitch about transplants is in fact a transplant themselves within the past 5-10 years.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

KomradeX posted:

I live in New York City and read thinking of moving out to Seattle cause I heard cost of living isn't as high as it is here. This thread is kind of selling me on the idea of not moving out to the Pacific Northwest.
I moved to Seattle from California about 15 years ago. I can no longer imagine wanting to live anywhere else but here. And if you're smart you can find really cheap places to live all over the area.

But, like, visit first? Preferably in the spring or fall, when you'll get days of poo poo weather and then a single perfect day followed by more poo poo weather? I had some friends move here a few years ago, and they left a year later because they were Los Angeles party people who moved to the middle of loving nowhere and really, really weren't prepared for the weather.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

isildur posted:

But, like, visit first?

Wrong. Don't visit. Don't move here. Not until the infrastructure catches up with the population. So maybe like 2035 or so.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What's the general opinion about Spokane? I lived there for a few years and while it does stack up poorly next to Seattle culturally and with things to do, it's not a total wasteland.

Some pros:
-Extremely cheap cost of living (sub-$100 rents for college students) and some new grads were buying houses and it wasn't a terrible financial decision
-Downtown has some cool bars and bookstores
-Because snow is an annual event, the plows do an excellent job keeping the roads clear. This was a huge contrast in 2008 when Seattle was making international news for not being able to handle a blizzard (buses over the overpass, mayor run out of office)
-Tons of cool camping and hiking nearby

Some cons:
-The main road to downtown, "Division Street", is the ugliest street I've ever been on. A pure mix of billboards, crappy businesses, jaywalkers every half mile, ugh.
-Not really close to any other major cities
-Crappy food

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

You must wear flannel, its kind of the PNW uniform. Evenon the west side. No one will take you serious otherwise.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Mojo Threepwood posted:

What's the general opinion about Spokane? I lived there for a few years and while it does stack up poorly next to Seattle culturally and with things to do, it's not a total wasteland.

Some pros:
-Extremely cheap cost of living (sub-$100 rents for college students) and some new grads were buying houses and it wasn't a terrible financial decision
-Downtown has some cool bars and bookstores
-Because snow is an annual event, the plows do an excellent job keeping the roads clear. This was a huge contrast in 2008 when Seattle was making international news for not being able to handle a blizzard (buses over the overpass, mayor run out of office)
-Tons of cool camping and hiking nearby

Some cons:
-The main road to downtown, "Division Street", is the ugliest street I've ever been on. A pure mix of billboards, crappy businesses, jaywalkers every half mile, ugh.
-Not really close to any other major cities
-Crappy food

I went to Whitworth for my undergraduate program. I can verify all of the above. I would also add to the list of cons: No good jobs, crappy public transportation (although they're extending service out to CDL now or soon, I've heard, which I guess is pretty neat), and the fact the whole city is about 80 percent cheap suburban sprawl (with an admittedly decent downtown). And yes, I can attest to the food being poo poo. You're better off beer tasting.

A pro would be that even their shittiest public schools aren't *that* bad (I befriended some townies whose friends were still in high school, so I got a pretty full picture).

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Kaal posted:

So you're saying that Oregonians are racist because there was slavery in the South? How does that make any sense? I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

I think that fundamentally you're conflating racial diversity with how many black people there are, and that is a real disservice to the 25% of Americans who are neither white nor black.

Im curious about the current controversy between the local hip-hop scene and the police. Clearly, a hip-hop scene isn't automatically black, but a lot of stereotyping and negativity towards such a scene will be based on anti-black prejudices. I'm not into hip-hop so I don't know much beyond the basics that there has been a lot of concern that the city has been targeting shows and the like. Last weekend a club was shut down for being overcapacity which I've never heard of happening in the fiveish years I've lived here. Also, a few months ago a local artist moved to NYC and said he refused to perform in portland ever again because of police targeting. If anyone more familiar with this issue could weigh in on it, I'd be pretty appreciative.

http://www.oregonlive.com/multimedia/index.ssf/2014/03/illmaculate_leaves_blue_monk_w.html

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Get hosed, Jay Inslee.

Everett Hearld posted:

Gov. Jay Inslee’s 2014 aerospace progress report has a check mark next to “Secure Boeing 777X work for Washington.”

The report, which was released Tuesday, highlights the state’s considerable efforts but doesn’t give any credit to the Machinists union, which actually ensured the new airplane will be assembled in Washington.

Yes, it doesn't mention the fact that a whole bunch of people gave up their pensions for this plane. It takes a lot of guts to say this while having two pensions.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Mojo Threepwood posted:

The outskirts are a little shady, and you have a large militia/white supremacist community there just like all of East Washington.

statim
Sep 5, 2003

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

If they had kept to themselves while following the law, they would have been left alone, like so many other wacky communes spread around Oregon that never make the news. There is a full time nudist colony in rural Washington county, but most people don't know that because they otherwise abide by the laws and don't bug the neighbors. There is a Buddhist monastery in rural Columbia county, but no one is trying to drive them out because they keep to themselves without flouting local laws.

Pretty much this. For example for 3x days I stayed at the Wolf Creek Radical Faerie Sanctuary, which is a neo-pagan queer mecca and exactly as weird as that implies. This place is way down in southern very rural Oregon, 40 minutes to any town with a big box store and 3+hours from Portland. At one point I decided to walk into the little town of Wolf Creek approx 6 miles away and a car just stopped next to me and two local dudes offered me a ride into town. They were completely chill but when they found out where I was staying the only problem was them being almost overly accepting, like in a "oh that's so awesome for you!!" well meant but sort of condescending too.

Side note: That place is just something else, very cool and also hilariously bizarre.

statim fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 14, 2014

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Once you start getting into Oregon's often highly insular sub-cultures, you're really through the looking glass sometimes.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

BlueBlazer posted:

You must wear flannel, its kind of the PNW uniform. Evenon the west side. No one will take you serious otherwise.

Flannel is warm and comfortable, if it's done right.

Plaid flannel looks horrible.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Mojo Threepwood posted:

What's the general opinion about Spokane?

Their roads are shiiiiiiiiiit. There are dirt roads within a mile of downtown and potholes all over the place.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Tomorrow's a big day for Seattle; not one but two protest marches are happening, one after the other. The first is for a $15 minimum wage, and another against police brutality. The marches start a Judkins Park at 1PM and the Seattle Central Campus at 5:30PM respectively.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Gerund posted:

Their roads are shiiiiiiiiiit. There are dirt roads within a mile of downtown and potholes all over the place.

On the other hand there are a lot of great lakes and parks within 45 minutes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

xrunner posted:

Im curious about the current controversy between the local hip-hop scene and the police. Clearly, a hip-hop scene isn't automatically black, but a lot of stereotyping and negativity towards such a scene will be based on anti-black prejudices. I'm not into hip-hop so I don't know much beyond the basics that there has been a lot of concern that the city has been targeting shows and the like. Last weekend a club was shut down for being overcapacity which I've never heard of happening in the fiveish years I've lived here. Also, a few months ago a local artist moved to NYC and said he refused to perform in portland ever again because of police targeting. If anyone more familiar with this issue could weigh in on it, I'd be pretty appreciative.

http://www.oregonlive.com/multimedia/index.ssf/2014/03/illmaculate_leaves_blue_monk_w.html

I'm not intimately familiar with Portland police, but Oregon police are pretty notorious for targeting progressive youths (being as the police forces are the last true bastion of conservative power in the state). In Eugene that means raiding co-op/metal shows and attacking protesters, in Corvallis that means constant vice patrols through student neighborhoods and targeting punk street kids, and in Portland that means intimidating hip hop/gay warehouse events with overwhelming force. And I'm sure Ashland would have its own problems if the police department there wasn't such a chaotic shitshow and mostly focused on either combating California drug traffickers or being bribed by them. I would say that age and politics probably has a lot more to do with it than race.

It sounds like the City Auditors Office will be stepping in to take a look at things, and recently they've shown a willingness to tangle with the Portland Police Bureau, so perhaps something will come of that.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-31327-portland_cops_treatment_of_hip_hop_shows_will_be_investigated_in_wake_of_blue_monk_incident.html
http://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/are-hip-hop-shows-targeted-by-portland-police/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 14, 2014

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
So does anyone have any thoughts about marijuana legalization in Oregon? I imagine that it is going to follow suit in legalization. Washington and Oregon have very similar electorates, and the consensus about why legalization failed in Oregon in 2012 was that the bill was badly written and promoted. If Oregon has the same type of campaign as Washington did in 2012, it seems to be probable it would pass.

There has been some hitches in Washington's process, which opponents could use to spread some FUD, but the thing is "The licensing hasn't gone through as smoothly as it could have!" doesn't really resonate on the same level as "People are shooting up heroin in the streets now!" So little has changed in Washington that it seems hard to summon a bogeyman.

The biggest difference I have noticed is that the Head Shops don't have to be coy, and the Vancouver Mall got a new Cinnabon. :)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

So does anyone have any thoughts about marijuana legalization in Oregon? I imagine that it is going to follow suit in legalization. Washington and Oregon have very similar electorates, and the consensus about why legalization failed in Oregon in 2012 was that the bill was badly written and promoted. If Oregon has the same type of campaign as Washington did in 2012, it seems to be probable it would pass.

There has been some hitches in Washington's process, which opponents could use to spread some FUD, but the thing is "The licensing hasn't gone through as smoothly as it could have!" doesn't really resonate on the same level as "People are shooting up heroin in the streets now!" So little has changed in Washington that it seems hard to summon a bogeyman.

The biggest difference I have noticed is that the Head Shops don't have to be coy, and the Vancouver Mall got a new Cinnabon. :)

Oregon will have recreational marijuana by the end of the year, it is still a very open question about what type of system will be in place as there are multiple (potential) ballot measures that are far more liberal than Washington State's system and at the same time the Oregon legislature is trying to draft a more conservative option to head the other measures off at the pass. It is unclear who will win out in the end or even the real details are except you will be able to buy taxed marijuana in stores at some point.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

ladyboy pancake posted:

Tomorrow's a big day for Seattle; not one but two protest marches are happening, one after the other. The first is for a $15 minimum wage, and another against police brutality. The marches start a Judkins Park at 1PM and the Seattle Central Campus at 5:30PM respectively.

I'm very interested in a $15 minimum wage. $10.10 would be a start, but we're still talking only just keeping your head above water there. At fifteen you could really see some poo poo.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

xrunner posted:

I heard about that. Not into the local hip-hop scene myself, but I have a friend who is. And he's told me that, being Portland, most of the people that attend hip-hop shows here are white. The owners/operators of that particular venue are white. The reports of police talking about people there with "known gang ties" does smack or racism. But police sitting outside, or going into venues, is not all that unusual. I've had friends in the past who were into the local punk scene who bitched about cops showing up and tossing around accusations of ties to skinhead groups.

The guy who made a big show of leaving for NYC left me scratching my head. I could understand going there to further his career, being a much bigger city with a major music industry. But trying to avoid racist cops? NYC basically said they target minorities because "they commit more crimes", even though their own reports show that over 80% of the people they stop-and-frisk are totally innocent. Portland cops might be racist, but at least the department isn't all "we officially target minorities, deal with it".

I just chalk it up as another case of people here being both awesome and hilarious in their extreme sensitivity to issues. I'm glad people are making a stink out of it because it is a problem that needs to be discussed. I'm also laughing at the guy giving a big "gently caress you" while moving to a place with far more notoriously racist cops.

statim posted:

Pretty much this. For example for 3x days I stayed at the Wolf Creek Radical Faerie Sanctuary, which is a neo-pagan queer mecca and exactly as weird as that implies. This place is way down in southern very rural Oregon, 40 minutes to any town with a big box store and 3+hours from Portland. At one point I decided to walk into the little town of Wolf Creek approx 6 miles away and a car just stopped next to me and two local dudes offered me a ride into town. They were completely chill but when they found out where I was staying the only problem was them being almost overly accepting, like in a "oh that's so awesome for you!!" well meant but sort of condescending too.

Side note: That place is just something else, very cool and also hilariously bizarre.

It comes with the territory of living in a place where half the people you bump into are recent transplants that came here specifically to live the lifestyle of their dreams. It can be hard not to sound condescending when you've heard it all. Especially when so many people reach the same conclusion of "move to Oregon" from so many different starting points. "Oh, you moved here because it's a Mecca for...", right-wing survivalists, off-the-grid organic farms, deep-fried/vegan/fusion cuisine, high-tech, artisan, Christian yoga.

glowing-fish posted:

A lot of serious pot heads voted 'No' on the recent bill because they were happier living with the current lax enforcement rather then some un-elected marijuana board and state controlled distribution. Keep in mind, current laws put possession of under an ounce as a violation, which is on par with parking tickets and typically only enforced as something the cops slap you with if you are already causing trouble. And the medical marijuana laws here don't allow for dispensaries, so much of the legal and illegal marijuana sales go through the same informal market.

Given the revenue Colorado is already bringing in, and what Washington is projected to bring in, I also expect Oregon to go full legalization soon, over the wishes of the hippies who would rather deal in the current gray market than pay taxes for pot from a liquor store.

Beowulfs_Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 14, 2014

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
On a related note, if there are any Bellingham goons, there's going to be a $15Now contingent in the St. Patrick's Day Parade tomorrow as well.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

Kaal posted:

I'm not intimately familiar with Portland police, but Oregon police are pretty notorious for targeting progressive youths (being as the police forces are the last true bastion of conservative power in the state). In Eugene that means raiding co-op/metal shows and attacking protesters, in Corvallis that means constant vice patrols through student neighborhoods and targeting punk street kids, and in Portland that means intimidating hip hop/gay warehouse events with overwhelming force. And I'm sure Ashland would have its own problems if the police department there wasn't such a chaotic shitshow and mostly focused on either combating California drug traffickers or being bribed by them. I would say that age and politics probably has a lot more to do with it than race.

It sounds like the City Auditors Office will be stepping in to take a look at things, and recently they've shown a willingness to tangle with the Portland Police Bureau, so perhaps something will come of that.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-31327-portland_cops_treatment_of_hip_hop_shows_will_be_investigated_in_wake_of_blue_monk_incident.html
http://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/are-hip-hop-shows-targeted-by-portland-police/

Corvallis police just have nothing better to do. I was stopped in Corvallis walking home from the bars and the cops were clearly trying to just get a MIP but I was 26 at the time despite looking a lot younger. They then tried to play it off telling me they're just checking everyone out because it's a high crime area. The only crime in Corvallis is bike theft and they stopped me a block from my house, which was next to the old rich people country club so it was even more of a bullshit excuse.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Kaal posted:

See, the interesting thing is I go out a lot. I've been inside seriously over-crowded venues but I've never seen a police officer come inside. That includes some pretty wild metal and punk shows. I don't know, maybe I just missed them, but I've also never seen a street lined with cops in that part of town. The owners and attendees may have been mostly white, but even still, the type of prejudice that led the cops there could easily come from stereotypes that hip-hop is a black gangster culture.

I'm also glad the city is looking into it. Portland police (apparently oregon police generally) really need to be reigned in.

And now that it's mentioned, it is kind of funny that the guy gave racist cops as his reason for moving to NYC without any appear ant irony.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Does Sheriff John Bunnell still hold a job in Oregon law enforcement?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Wasn't 2013 the first year in quite some time that the PPD managed to make it through without killing some unarmed minority? Maybe things are changing, but they do a pretty good job of quashing any oversight or review of their actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Kaal posted:

I feel like Portland Police have a real race problem, probably like a lot of cities, but it seems even more apparent in Portland when we have such a small population of minorities and so many incidents or shootings. I remember one where two police thought they were alone and were harassing two black guys in a parking garage who were unarmed. I wish I could find the article, but the police had their guns out and were escalating the situation and two witnesses hiding in a car thought they were going to kill the men. The two men eventually won a big lawsuit thanks only to the people that hid and witnessed the event. It's really not an isolated incident and quite frankly, I would probably have moved long ago if I were black. It just seems like such a disadvantage in every aspect of life here. If you read the comments on local news sites, even talk to friends, or parent of friends, or relatives about race, I have been uncomfortable on more than one occasion, unfortunately. Portland is really white, and maybe it's just that sometimes the only exposure people have to the black community is through news reports of gang shootings and the like, and possibly most of the police interaction withy the black community is the same. Anyway, just my observations, so it may not be much different from cities with higher minority populations, but it seems like it.

Edit: I should say, Portland is a beautiful city and I probably will never leave the northwest because I love it here.

• Locked thread