Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanatosian posted:

My understanding of what the phrase "rent control" generally describes is a fixed limit on how much a landlord is allowed to increase the rent on his or her tenants each year, usually some very small percentage. Best Friends seems to have the same impression.

Is there some other use of the phrase I'm not aware of?
As far as I care it's any and all "control" (or "regulation") as applied to the "rent" that a tenant would pay, enforced by a government.

ElCondemn posted:

I wonder if anything like that has been implemented, some kind of incentive/regulation that enforces X% of units to be income-qualified.
These sorts of deals take place before the buildings go up, and then once they're up the property owners don't give a gently caress about following through and, spoilers, neither does the city

Like, I know there's a large geographic gap between Portland and Seattle but you've almost certainly got to have property developers like these guys up there.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey folks, don't forget to say "gently caress you" to a NIMBY. Those are the source of like 80% of our problems.

This.

King County has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the country. If there are more people wanting to live here than places available to rent then prices will skyrocket. Rent control and subsidies won't fix that. We need more housing, and we need more high density housing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Whoops.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

oxbrain posted:

This.

King County has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the country. If there are more people wanting to live here than places available to rent then prices will skyrocket. Rent control and subsidies won't fix that. We need more housing, and we need more high density housing.

Ballard has a fairly high vacancy rate, and most of the units are new, high-density construction. It's also one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Seattle, because almost all of those units are new luxury buildings that need to recoup their investment.

Just incentivizing supply and knocking down regulatory barriers will lead to a bunch of developers chasing the high end of the market. Housing is not fungible, and affordable housing is not particularly profitable as new construction.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Space Gopher posted:

Ballard has a fairly high vacancy rate, and most of the units are new, high-density construction. It's also one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Seattle, because almost all of those units are new luxury buildings that need to recoup their investment.

Just incentivizing supply and knocking down regulatory barriers will lead to a bunch of developers chasing the high end of the market. Housing is not fungible, and affordable housing is not particularly profitable as new construction.
I don't think a vacancy tax should be out of the question.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So going aside from housing, I've read a few details on the new WA state budget. Mainly, higher education changes - UW and WSU are getting 15% tuition reductions, whereas WWU, CWU, EWU and Evergreen are getting 20% reductions. K-12 teachers get a marginal pay increase, and apparently more budget is required for lower class sizes. This is funded by an 11.9 cent gas tax because that's literally the only thing we can tax here.

Comments on the Seattle Times (I don't know why I'm reading this) are hailing this as a Republican victory, and I'm not sure why.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Because the Seattle times is a terrible paper.

Also, because gas taxes are even more regressive than sales taxes.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

oxbrain posted:

Because the Seattle times is a terrible paper.

Also, because gas taxes are even more regressive than sales taxes.

It is easy to get Washington NIMBY voters to gently caress over the poor if it means punishing them for sullying their environment.

The people crowing in the local rag are the type that drive a Tesla and use a vape pen; the early adopters at the bleeding edge of unregulated enjoyment.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
With all the chatter about Seattle housing, I figured I'd throw something out for people in Portland. If you're looking to buy a house in the area this might be a useful resource https://www.portlandoregon.gov/phb/61184. Assuming you meet the requirements, you end up property tax exempt on improvements for 10 years or as long as you own the lot. It's a pretty nice deal, especially for people who are seeing rents skyrocket month after month.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think the solution is we institute a "California" tax where we force transplants to subsidize the housing of people who can trace their Washington ancestry back at least two generations. Its fair to the people of the city who are being forced out and benefits me so its a good law that I support.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack2142 posted:

I think the solution is we institute a "California" tax where we force transplants to subsidize the housing of people who can trace their Washington ancestry back at least two generations. Its fair to the people of the city who are being forced out and benefits me so its a good law that I support.

Too bad this isn't about Portland or I could make a "neo-Exclusionary Act" joke.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

computer parts posted:

Too bad this isn't about Portland or I could make a "neo-Exclusionary Act" joke.

I go to school in Portland so if they were to do that it would negatively impact me so they shouldn't.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Jack2142 posted:

I go to school in Portland so if they were to do that it would negatively impact me so they shouldn't.

Don't worry, we'd have an exception for residents of the Greater Willamette Co-Prosperity Sphere.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Don't worry, we'd have an exception for residents of the Greater Willamette Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Although non-natives will have to wear an unobtrusive day-glo badge of their home state at all times, to identify them as Not True Oregonians.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Although non-natives will have to wear an unobtrusive day-glo badge of their home state at all times, to identify them as Not True Oregonians.

Is this identified by birthplace or state of previous residence? Because one would be the shamestar of California, and the other the goulag mark of Washington.

This is important.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

koreban posted:

Is this identified by birthplace or state of previous residence? Because one would be the shamestar of California, and the other the goulag mark of Washington.

This is important.

it's based on your ancestors' c. 1000 years ago continent of origin

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Ernie Muppari posted:

I, for one, welcome the totalitarian rule of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde.

Seriously though, they've got their poo poo together and would probably run the state quite well.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ernie Muppari posted:

No, a simple birth certificate will suffice.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

seiferguy posted:

So going aside from housing, I've read a few details on the new WA state budget. Mainly, higher education changes - UW and WSU are getting 15% tuition reductions, whereas WWU, CWU, EWU and Evergreen are getting 20% reductions. K-12 teachers get a marginal pay increase, and apparently more budget is required for lower class sizes. This is funded by an 11.9 cent gas tax because that's literally the only thing we can tax here.

Comments on the Seattle Times (I don't know why I'm reading this) are hailing this as a Republican victory, and I'm not sure why.

They're also allegedly including a pay raise for state employees - the union has been negotiating a 3.8% raise this year and then a 1% next year. The DOC employees union already got them a guaranteed raise last year if I remember correctly, so this is supposed for be for everyone else or at least all DSHS employees. There are questions, at least for the agency I work with, if they'll be fully funding some of our new programs and if they'll actually use some of the money that Inslee allegedly agreed to set aside to hire more people. Plus there's a lot of talk of going on strike - the big thing we've been arguing for is a COLA for all employees not just teachers (who definitely need the raise and COLA).

Personally I'm glad that I'm not getting laid off even though I could really use the break but I'm pretty wary about the budget and it's effects over all.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, a simple birth certificate will suffice.

Goulag mark of Washington then.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ernie Muppari posted:

So, native american ancestry only?

I approve.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jack2142 posted:

I'm ok with this

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

On the subject of regulations of rental properties, how about that repressive state control of living arrangements?

Bellingham's Rental Registration and Safety Inspection Program

While this is being instituted under the cover of being a pro-renter movement, not only is it a regressively taxed organ, but it also is the necessary enforcement organ for Bellingham's cap on number of non-related peoples in a unit- three! Your room-mate better not get a SO if you have one, buddy!

The fact that this new enforcement organ is exactly what has been demanded by NIMBY assholes in the city complaining about students living in their city has yet to be remarked.

Expect the yearly fee to raise, expect the cost of inspections to raise, and expect the number of people looking to rent compared to the housing stock to explode. Bellingham is on course to become a catastrophe for renters in the next three to five years.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Like this?

Gerund posted:

The fact that this new enforcement organ is exactly what has been demanded by NIMBY assholes in the city complaining about students living in their city has yet to be remarked.

When I first started to date my wife, she lived up there and I would read the alt weekly paper. Holy poo poo, the NIMBYs. RENT'S TOO HIGH!!! DON"T BUILD ANYTHING!! ARRG THE RENT!! HOLY poo poo THERE"S A NEW BUILDING!!! and on and on and on. gently caress NIMBYs, each and every last one of them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
These people would be happier living in stagnant mountain villages in the Urals

Edit: Is this why their waterfront is still a stinky polluted wasteland?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 1, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Space Gopher posted:

If developers refuse to build product for the low end of the market then maybe the state should step in and do it.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Accretionist posted:

These people would be happier living in stagnant mountain villages in the Urals

Edit: Is this why their waterfront is still a stinky polluted wasteland?

Put in broadband internet and I would move to the Urals.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

oxbrain posted:

Put in broadband internet and I would move to the Urals.

Have you considered Estonia?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Vavrek posted:

Have you considered Estonia?

Been trying to get a job there as a web-dev for years.... one day....

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If developers refuse to build product for the low end of the market then maybe the state should step in and do it.
You want the state to pony up taxpayer money for something that developers don't want? Good luck with that.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Light rail stations need to have a compass rose in the pavement at the sidewalk outside every exit.

The Westlake light rail/bus tunnel NEEDS TO INDICATE WHETHER YOU'RE ON THE SOUTHBOUND SIDE OR NORTHBOUND SIDE holy gently caress can't believe there is no way for you to tell which direction things are going without asking people, or hoping that you correctly followed the signs on the maze of stairs above.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
They also need to put up a display with expected arrivals. The information is available and a display is super cheap - it seems like a slam dunk to me.

I have no idea why this isn't being done :iiam:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Delta-Wye posted:

They also need to put up a display with expected arrivals. The information is available and a display is super cheap - it seems like a slam dunk to me.

I have no idea why this isn't being done :iiam:

This is Seattle, right? Your lightrail stations don't have boards with expected times? That's so backwards, its like you are in New York City!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This feature is coming sometime soon. It might happen with the opening of the cap hill and husky stadium. There's alot of challenges with the tunnels due to the fact that KC metro owns the tunnel, ST owns the cars.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Man it's hot as poo poo and expected to be hotter tomorrow.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

mod sassinator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU&t=111s

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

The rest of this lovely summer can be summed up with that phrase.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Russia needs to use how many tactical nukes to cancel this out?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

reading posted:

Light rail stations need to have a compass rose in the pavement at the sidewalk outside every exit.

The Westlake light rail/bus tunnel NEEDS TO INDICATE WHETHER YOU'RE ON THE SOUTHBOUND SIDE OR NORTHBOUND SIDE holy gently caress can't believe there is no way for you to tell which direction things are going without asking people, or hoping that you correctly followed the signs on the maze of stairs above.

The streets are indicated on the signs in the station, so as long as you know the numbers go from west to east and pine is north of pike you should be good to go. Of course, it would be helpful to have all this information readily available for people who are not familiar with the city... I agree that emerging from the tunnels can be a little disorienting too, especially for people who are unfamiliar with landmarks. The compass is quite a good, simple idea. As for which side of the tunnel goes in which direction... I think that is posted? To SeaTac airport is always southbound, at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A Bag of Milk posted:

The streets are indicated on the signs in the station, so as long as you know the numbers go from west to east and pine is north of pike you should be good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJsOYV-XXes

Also, Charles Mudede has really outdone himself.

• Locked thread