Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Except that Eugene will immediately secede from Cascadia, then itself will divide into two factions over whether their autonomous enclave should be named after Fredrick Douglass or Pete Seeger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Honestly I always thought that Douglas Fir silhouette could stand to be more stylized. Some of those little half-smoothed details in the branches look kind of ugly and not-thought-out, like someone just applied a photoshop filter to a photograph. The color choices and general idea are great, though, and more than make up for that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I actually don't think our flag is really bad:

Color scheme could be better, but otherwise it is fine.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Ditocoaf posted:

Honestly I always thought that Douglas Fir silhouette could stand to be more stylized. Some of those little half-smoothed details in the branches look kind of ugly and not-thought-out, like someone just applied a photoshop filter to a photograph. The color choices and general idea are great, though, and more than make up for that.

I can agree with that, but I'd probably like to make the white field into a triangle because there's no way Washington could do anything without having a reference to Mt. Rainier.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The color scheme owns, it's what Michigan (the university) uses.

Also the back is a beaver.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
my humble submission for Cascadia flag:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Shouldnt it be old white people with rifles, young people with bongs, and some moss covered trees?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What's the southern border of Cascadia anyway? Weed?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
No, that's the contents :rimshot:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

FRINGE posted:

Shouldnt it be old white people with rifles, young people with bongs, and some moss covered trees?

Old people with bongs and young people with rifles, more like.

As for liability w/r/t firearms: if we're concerned about the financial costs of negligence on the part of gun owners, isn't the more direct solution socialized healthcare?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

Old people with bongs and young people with rifles, more like.

As for liability w/r/t firearms: if we're concerned about the financial costs of negligence on the part of gun owners, isn't the more direct solution socialized healthcare?

I'm for this, but socialized healthcare tends to make people feel even more entitled to dictate the behavior of others because they're indirectly funding the medical bill when someone gets hurt.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'd like to think of the cascadian movement as a backup plan in case the US government completely falls apart or a bunch of other states decide to secede first. A very logical and promising backup plan that I like to fantasize about every now and then.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'd like to think of the cascadian movement as a backup plan in case the US government completely falls apart or a bunch of other states decide to secede first. A very logical and promising backup plan that I like to fantasize about every now and then.

Congrats, you're an honorary Confederate.

Not surprising as many of them headed to the PNW after the Civil War.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

CaptainSarcastic posted:

ah yes, a flag with writing, numbers, an over-detailed seal on a plain background: a 'not bad' flag

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

There's no law against leaving your keys in the ignition. Know why? ~*because hand-wringing liberal simps aren't trying to ban cars through a piecemeal series of insincere strategems*~ :keke:
There's no criminal law against it, though under certain circumstances, it may rise to the level of criminal negligence. If someone ends up jumping into it and loving something up, though, you can bet dollars to donuts you're going to be named in the civil suit.

Additionally, when you are operating a car, you are under the auspices of more laws and regulations (both civil and criminal) than at any other time in your life, with the possible exceptions of being in the military or being in prison. Because a car is a dangerous, deadly weapon, which needs to be strictly regulated. Much like guns.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

ah yes, a flag with writing, numbers, an over-detailed seal on a plain background: a 'not bad' flag

But it has a beaver on the back!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

I'm for this, but socialized healthcare tends to make people feel even more entitled to dictate the behavior of others because they're indirectly funding the medical bill when someone gets hurt.

See the nice thing about being a cascadian gun nut is, you can believe you should be able to buy an RPG-7 at Ace hardware, and you can still let go of all the other John Birch horseshit that is supposed to go along with that.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Ditocoaf posted:

I don't think people take Cascadia seriously, it's just a fun idea to float. The appeal is just in, like, cultural solidarity or something. "Hey B.C. and Oregon, we like you guys, we should really be our own country" "hey yeah haha sounds cool, we'd be the best country." There aren't any practical advantages to it, but nobody's actually going to take steps towards succession.

I take it seriously and have non-secessionist means of achieving it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Javid posted:

Indirectly funding the medical bill when someone gets hurt is already how health insurance works.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SedanChair posted:

Except that Eugene will immediately secede from Cascadia, then itself will divide into two factions over whether their autonomous enclave should be named after Fredrick Douglass or Pete Seeger.

I'm not seeing a drawback for the rest of us here. :v:

computer parts posted:

Fine, we'll set up racial quotas on immigration, no white people allowed in until we get at least a million non-whites immigrated.

God, you'd think people would be more excited about the prospect of fragmenting and diluting American power.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Fine, we'll set up racial quotas on immigration, no white people allowed in until we get at least a million non-whites immigrated.

That should be implemented in Seattle post-haste- every new face this year is paler than the last, and with fewer opinions than legal weed and 15 an hour being cool beans.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Gerund posted:

That should be implemented in Seattle post-haste- every new face this year is paler than the last, and with fewer opinions than legal weed and 15 an hour being cool beans.

Just for reference: http://www.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2014/10/28/the-morning-news-seattle-is-getting-whiter

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Anyone in Seattle want to weigh in on proposition 1A vs. 1B? 1A sounds better but 1B comes with a funding source attached. I understand there will be a legal obligation to fund 1A somehow if it passes, but how likely is it that it would cause cuts to other social services?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

A Bag of Milk posted:

Anyone in Seattle want to weigh in on proposition 1A vs. 1B? 1A sounds better but 1B comes with a funding source attached. I understand there will be a legal obligation to fund 1A somehow if it passes, but how likely is it that it would cause cuts to other social services?
The Stranger endorsed 1B. Their reasoning:

quote:

Look, if we had to make our endorsements based on how we felt about the political side of things—and there's been a total shitshow behind the scenes on this one—we'd have to endorse just scrawling a bunch of obscenities over this portion of your ballot and moving on.

But we don't. We have to look at what these two measures actually do, not at our belief that they should never have been pitted against each other on your ballot in the first place. (It's a long story, and the short of it is that everyone's terrible.) So, now we have to choose. Prop. 1A seeks to improve pay and centralize training for thousands of the city's child-care workers. Prop. 1B would create a pilot program for publicly funded free and reduced-cost preschool for thousands of the city's 3- and 4-year-olds. Picking neither would accomplish, well, nothing. And you know who doesn't deserve to be punished for grown-ups' stupid political mistakes? Low-income kids who don't have the chance to attend a high-quality preschool on their own. It's impossible to pass up the opportunity to finally vote for public preschool, because public pre-K is one of the few proven ways to give kids a fighting chance in this world. Tons of research shows that the benefits of early education stay with kids for life. Not everyone can afford to send their kid to early learning programs, and we have a chance to start a really solid program that could help thousands of children. Vote—and good god, we can't even believe these are the real instructions—"Yes" on question 1 and "Proposition 1B" on question 2.

League of Women Voters advises "No," but to support 1A of the two. Their reasoning is here (PDF).

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Thanatosian posted:

The Stranger endorsed 1B. Their reasoning:

League of Women Voters advises "No," but to support 1A of the two. Their reasoning is here (PDF).

Thanks for posting that League of Women Voters piece, I hadn't read that yet. I think I'm going to reject (or synthesize?) both of these analysis and vote yes and 1A. It's an ideological rather than practical vote, I think people can get a bit cynical about bold ideas if they're not exactly right. As a whole, proposition 1A is too reasonable to reject.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

SedanChair posted:

What's the southern border of Cascadia anyway? Weed?

The State of Jefferson, duh.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Cascadia would be rad since I feel like government spread over a huge landmass seems pretty rough :) Then we could enact all kinds of progressive legislation and hold hands and sing songs by the fire.

We'd have to deport all the shitheads first obvs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This would unironically own because then you could see who in your community are racist shitheads. Doubly so if it was actually poor people too.

(It would be most everyone)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Some gold in the county election packet:

The name "biome" and occupation in organic food gave me some preconceived notions of what that wall of text was gonna be about and then the dude proceeds to go 90 degrees from anywhere I thought he would.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Kshama Sawant as Dear Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Cascadia

ya that's because the Oregon state flag, like 40+ US state flags, is an ugly badly designed piece of poo poo while the Doug flag and Portland city flag are actually cool + good

The Alaska state flag loving owns.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

computer parts posted:

Too bad they didn't bring their snappy uniforms!

Imagine what a cascadian uniform would look like.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

Too bad they didn't bring their snappy uniforms!

Imagine what a cascadian uniform would look like.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think that was a Portlandia sketch

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
KCTS poll out today with some interesting results. I-594 is ahead 64-31. I-591 doing its job of confusing voters is tied 45-43. I-1351 is way ahead, even in eastern WA, 60-31.

The really surprising question: "Do you agree or disagree with the creation of a state income tax on wealthy households?" it's slightly ahead 48-42. Of course, the question of how we should balance the budget has nearly half of the respondents answering with mostly or entirely spending cuts. :eng99:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

oxbrain posted:

KCTS poll out today with some interesting results. I-594 is ahead 64-31. I-591 doing its job of confusing voters is tied 45-43. I-1351 is way ahead, even in eastern WA, 60-31.

The really surprising question: "Do you agree or disagree with the creation of a state income tax on wealthy households?" it's slightly ahead 48-42. Of course, the question of how we should balance the budget has nearly half of the respondents answering with mostly or entirely spending cuts. :eng99:

which initiative is which, for those of us too lazy to use google

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I've never liked the blue tone on the Cascadia flag but whatever :shrug:

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Hedera Helix posted:

which initiative is which, for those of us too lazy to use google

I-594 would make all private sales and transfers of firearms require a background check.
I-591 does the opposite. It prohibits the state from requiring a background check for any gun sales or transfers.
I-1351 is the class size reduction one.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

oxbrain posted:

I-594 would make all private sales and transfers of firearms require a background check.
I-591 does the opposite. It prohibits the state from requiring a background check for any gun sales or transfers.
I-1351 is the class size reduction one.

Well that's not true about I-591, it still requires sellers to do background checks if they're required under Federal Law.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

oxbrain posted:

That would be amazing buuut somehow I don't think that Eric Holder would be as accommodating as he's been about "legal" weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

oxbrain posted:

Back when Bill Gates Sr. had his "income tax for high earners to fund education" initiative, it polled that well or better. Of course, that was before right-wing groups dropped a few ads, and Washington's voters remembered that they're willing to do absolutely anything for education except fund it.

• Locked thread