Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tigntink posted:

How many apodments do you really think are being built? There's only a few of those new buildings going up and most of them are being highly protested by the communities.

I actually have no idea on the first part, the second part is pure NIMBY bullshit, which I think is fine to make fun of. I'm more concerned about skirting building and fire codes, because those are really important in a high density building. If that's actually the case, which I'm not 100% positive on.

quote:

The primary problem with the 15,000 new places opening up by 2015(rechecked numbers) is the vast majority will cost 40% more than average simply because they are new. However, if new tech workers who can afford these move in, that should open the older apartments and houses to others.

I think this will always be the case unless there's some stockpile of used housing that isn't being rented out. That being said, I think you're right in that the tech workers will move in and open up cheaper housing. If nothing else, more housing (with associated occupancy) means more taxpayers, more density and makes things more efficient.

Tigntink posted:

Back to an old topic - Owner of Liberty Bar in Cap Hill just shot himself in the foot in my opinion

This is what I was getting at earlier about small businesses. gently caress this owner, I hope national bank has the pleasure of foreclosing on the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

This is what I was getting at earlier about small businesses. gently caress this owner, I hope national bank has the pleasure of foreclosing on the bar.

The SEATAC had similar saber rattling from right wing types bragging how they had to lay off people due the wage increase law passing even though the nearby union staffed hotels kept their staff.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Gerund posted:

Its going to create a big conflict in a decade when the (now 30-40) adults get kids and try to decide where they are going to settle- because there aren't many places that have family jobs that also have family housing.

They're going to have jobs in Seattle and have to buy houses in Renton, Kent, Federal Way, and Snohomish County. If you think the traffic is bad now, just wait a bit. Oh and yeah right as if serious transit will keep up.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

They're going to have jobs in Seattle and have to buy houses in Renton, Kent, Federal Way, and Snohomish County. If you think the traffic is bad now, just wait a bit. Oh and yeah right as if serious transit will keep up.

Seattle: Land of a Million Startups, takes 30 years to build a train.

Edit: Just checked, was approved in 1996, is currently ~20 miles long. Due to be finished in 2030ish.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 3, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

gohuskies posted:

:( Have faith. We are working so hard.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
The light rail we're building to be done in 2030 is barely sufficient for our current needs.

But hey, that tunnel that will have virtually zero impact on the traffic? That baby will be done way sooner.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile, in Kirkland they're like "let's build a cable car!" That ought to ease the 405 grind.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Why not have some kind of monorail parallel (give or take) the 99?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Awesome thread--I love seeing all the info on Seattle stuff.

One completely unrelated thing, does anyone know if the Egyptian theater in Capitol Hill was ever bought by anyone? I really miss that place and was sad to see it close down last year. I'm hoping SIFF picks it up and starts doing midnight movies there again. It's going to suck if they don't have that theater for the festival this year, since it's such a big venue and the existing theaters are already packed to the gills.

edit: Also who else wants to say gently caress all this bullshit and move out to a quiet place in North Bend or Cle Elum? If I could find a good job that let me work from home all the time I would seriously consider it.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 3, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

FRINGE posted:

Why not have some kind of monorail parallel (give or take) the 99?

So how the ST process works is: Corridors are identified by population density/ how many people it would serve. Then some plans get drawn up for various choices in the corridor (For northgate it was 99/I5/15th ave ne) and then a cost analysis is done and all along the way there are customer outreach meetings that will take input from locals. I attended a bunch of the northgate meetings, as ill be in walking distance to a stop. It's really useful and if you attend each meeting you can see the design changes as the project moves along and finalizes. There's usually an initial outreach, a 30% design, 60% design, 90% design plus maybe some meetings about art going into the station.

Long winded answer for - 99 was considered on the north side.

Edit: Forgot to add - for anyone who might think that what you say at the outreach meetings isn't recorded into public record: I thought that light rail would better serve going through lake city first, as it is a lower income high density corridor that is under served by buses. I wrote a long diatribe and talked to about 3 ST employees about it and in the end, they didn't go with it, but there is a line in the official record about the "lake city light rail corridor" :p

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 3, 2014

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Awesome thread--I love seeing all the info on Seattle stuff.

One completely unrelated thing, does anyone know if the Egyptian theater in Capitol Hill was ever bought by anyone? I really miss that place and was sad to see it close down last year. I'm hoping SIFF picks it up and starts doing midnight movies there again. It's going to suck if they don't have that theater for the festival this year, since it's such a big venue and the existing theaters are already packed to the gills.

edit: Also who else wants to say gently caress all this bullshit and move out to a quiet place in North Bend or Cle Elum? If I could find a good job that let me work from home all the time I would seriously consider it.

A well-timed CHBlog post has the answer to your Egyptian question: http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2...eing-evaluated/

"Nine months after the screen went dark at The Egyptian Theatre, the lights are still out at the at the prominent Capitol Hill cinema space. But CHS has confirmed the 600-seat theater will raise its curtain once again when it plays its part in hosting the 40th annual Seattle International Film Festival this May."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

I've wanted to live in North Bend for years. I'd eat at Twede's and bike on the Snohomish River trail every day. But I know the commute would destroy my mind.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

I've wanted to live in North Bend for years. I'd eat at Twede's and bike on the Snohomish River trail every day. But I know the commute would destroy my mind.

Yeah, I commute from Lynnwood into downtown each morning, and that is already gross. I will likely be moving to Everett soon due to the sheer cost of buying a house in Lynnwood, and that's at least another hour on the freeway each day. :( I can't imagine commuting from North Bend.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

In under-reported local-ish news:

http://www.ballardnewstribune.com/2014/04/01/news/decline-or-renaissance-stakeholders-and-policy-ma

quote:

Decline or renaissance? Stakeholders and policy makers address the state of the maritime industry

By Shane Harms
04/01/2014
March 27 -- Executives from the maritime industry gathered at the Port of Seattle Headquarters round table to talk about policy and the state of the maritime industry in the Puget Sound.

Council member Sally Clark, the Deputy Mayor, Andrea Riniker and the state’s leading stakeholders in the maritime sector were in attendance.

The discussion was held to assist the Port Commission in gathering opinions from stakeholders and policy makers about the nature of economic opportunities and challenges facing Seattle’s maritime industry.

“Growth” was a major question of interest, and the goal of the round table discussion was to walk away with a better understanding of how to facilitate proliferation of the maritime industry through policy recommendations.

Port of Seattle Commission Co-President, Stephanie Bowman, led the discussion and stressed the significance the maritime industry has on the economy of the State and conceded the urgency for the discussion.

Mayor Murray was unable to attend the event because he was at the Wage Inequality Symposium during the meeting, but the Deputy Mayor, Andrea Riniker spoke on his behalf. Riniker reaffirmed the Mayor’s commitment to the maritime industry and discussed how the city is a vital and dynamic part of Seattle's economy.

Brian Thomas, Kvichak Marine, raised three major challenges effecting growth in the industry that echoed throughout the meeting: regulation incursion, an aging workforce and recapitalization of the fleets, and the status of prevailing wage laws.

“Regulatory incursions by our fair city are a challenge to the manufacturing and maritime community. Initiatives around sick leave, initiatives around minimum wage have impacts to our businesses. … While we recognize the need for better income equality and opportunity for people to be able to come up through the ranks and climb the ladder of prosperity that we all think about and talk about – while we are in support of that, we are not terribly supportive of going to a $15 an hour minimum wage in any immediate future," said Thomas.

In the recent maritime economic impact study the average income for workers in the maritime industry was around $70 thousand a year. However, many jobs in the maritime industry are minimum wage, seasonal jobs.

“I appreciate the effort but the speed at which we are moving at makes most of us in business pretty nervous. … When the City steps in with regulations that really get into the heart of how we manage and run our businesses, it makes us all very nervous and uncomfortable, and when you make business nervous and uncomfortable, business doesn’t invest. Business doesn’t try to grow. Business sits back and waits to see what’s going to happen before we make plans for the long term.”

Jan Koslosky, Vice President of Supply Chain Management with Ocean Beauty Seafoods shared a similar sentiment with Thomas.

“We have to have a business environment that’s predictable. That’s essential from our shareholders…and to ensure we have stable results year after year", said Koslosky. “That ($15 minimum wage) is a major concern to us. … Unless there is a means to bring things into some order of sensibility in the wage area, it will force manufacturers like us to consider shifting the lower technical work outside of the city and retain the people in the city who are paid above that wage.”

Vince O’Halloran, with the Sailor’s Union of the Pacific, voiced his support for the wage increase.

“I am in firm support of King County’s efforts to raise the minimum wage. People have to be able to live in order to work here, and I commend the mayor’s office on his efforts in getting stakeholders together to come to an agreement,” said O’Halloran.

“A lot of the people that are working these jobs don’t live in Seattle. They can’t afford it even if we pay them $15 and hour. That’s not solving the affordable housing challenge. … To figure out how to provide people with the right housing at the right time in their life at an affordable point is a really big challenge policy-wise for the City. …It’s one of the bigger challenges as far as how we allow a workforce to actually be here for you (industry) to be able to choose from and employ,” said Clark.

Thomas also said that types of regulatory action such as the Shoreline Management Plan deters maritime businesses and force them to “work like dogs” to make legislation tolerable for business. He explained that by having to divert time and resources, along with the uncertainty during such action, puts the maritime industry at risk.

In addition, Charlie Costanzo, Vice President of the American Waterways Operators, spoke to the regulation incursion issue and mentioned the congressional effort to repeal the Jones Act as an example. The Jones Act prohibits any foreign built or foreign flagged vessel from engaging in coastwise trade within the United States. Stormwater drainage and other water quality issues were cited as examples of regulatory incursions faced.

Opportunities for growth were also discussed. As the work force ages, educational programs that provide training for individuals in the industry are going to have a significant effect on keeping jobs in the area.

“What constitutes a great city? I would offer, that to me, a great city is one that includes a robust middle class. That’s what we are talking about today is middle class jobs. That’s one of the reasons we started the training center at South Seattle Community College,“ said Adm. John Lockwood (Ret.) of Seattle Marine Business Coalition.

Tom Barnard, Research and Policy Analyst at Port of Seattle announced that Ballard High School will be enrolling students in a Maritime Skill and Technology Center program next year. The program is one of thirty operating in the state and part of the Core-Plus Project.

“Even in something as tough in public sector life as public education, it is really possible when we all pull together and have a dramatic impact for the benefit of our companies, our members and our young people,” said Barnard.

Aside from educational programs, other opportunities for growth discussed included the decommissioning of naval vessels through the next 25 years, arctic oil enterprises and the recapitalization the fishing fleet. All of which will provide ample work opportunity for the majority of maritime sectors.

“I feel strongly that there is no question we are and will remain a port city. That’s a good thing for us. That’s a good thing for the diversity of our economy. It creates choices for jobs, and we are much stronger when we are seen as a region that has a strong maritime industry,” said Clark.

The port is making unspecific noise about 'abandoning' Seattle if they approve a minimum wage increase.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In case you were under the impression that Seattle doesn't have a good complement of scum:

http://realchangenews.org/index.php/site/archives/8799%22

quote:

The Occidental Park melee began when Mia Jarvinen, a senior finance manager at Amazon, allegedly became enraged at the sight of a homeless man sleeping at the Fallen Firefighters Memorial.

According to witnesses, she started yelling and throwing his food at him and kicking him from where he lay.

Several homeless bystanders attempted to intervene. This is when Jarvinen’s off-duty Seattle fireman friends, Scott Bullene and Robert Howell, allegedly jumped in. While the details are unclear, several homeless men were punched in the face and stomped while another was beaten with his own walking stick.

The trio, according to witnesses, then repaired to McCoy’s Firehouse Grill for a quick beer before returning to Occidental Park for more. At this point, Howell got himself stabbed a few times, and the whole sorry episode came to an end with the better-late-than-never arrival of the Seattle Police Department.

Brought to my attention by an Amazon employee who confirms that Jarvinen is still employed there.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Sounds like par for course for Amazon managers from what I hear.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mod sassinator posted:

Sounds like par for course for Amazon managers from what I hear.

Not true :( Husband has been at amazon for 8 years and 4 different groups and everyone has been quite nice. There are just lovely people everywhere in every profession.

However I find people in finance and lawyers pretty much tend to be the worst people on earth, with exceptions to like death penalty pro bono lawyers.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 3, 2014

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Gerund posted:

In under-reported local-ish news:

http://www.ballardnewstribune.com/2014/04/01/news/decline-or-renaissance-stakeholders-and-policy-ma

The port is making unspecific noise about 'abandoning' Seattle if they approve a minimum wage increase.

Their real problem isn't regulation or wages, it's that there's significant investment going on at other ports and huge incentives to use those other ports.

For example, the Harbor Maintenance Tax is a tax levied on all goods that enter a US port. If you ship instead to Prince Rupert up in BC and run your goods on a train from BC into the US, you avoid the tax. They need to fix the HMT so it either doesn't exist at all or it's levied on all goods that enter the continent via a port, whether foreign or domestic.

The Panama Canal is being expanded, it'll be easier and cheaper to run ships through and it will be able to accommodate post-Panamax sized ships. Why unload at Seattle and ship it across the country when you can just sail right to the East Coast? The canal's capacity will be doubled in 2015 and that is a game-changer. Global warming creating a Northwest Passage over the top of Canada could be a similar game-changer.

And Canada is making huge investments in cross-continental rail to make Rupert even more attractive. Meanwhile we can't even connect the Port of Tacoma to highways 167 and 509, much less a serious cross-continental shipping line.

The Ports of Seattle, Tacoma and Everett need to stop fighting with each other and start fighting against Price Rupert, Port of LA and the Panama Canal. They need to work together to make serious investments in making the Puget Sound an attractive place to ship to. This small-ball poo poo is a distraction.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow I never heard about 'apodments' until now. Who would want to live in one of those things? I can kind of see as a kid fresh out of college who needs a cheap place to live for a few years. Would hate to see that crap become more prevalent though. It seems like more and more Seattle is getting closer to the hellscape of housing that is San Francisco.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

SedanChair posted:

. . . allegedly became enraged at the sight of a homeless man sleeping at the Fallen Firefighters Memorial . . .
What a bizarre thing to be enraged by. I can't think of a time I've passed through that neighborhood and not seen the homeless there. Unless they're high, the homeless in Seattle are pretty passive.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

SedanChair posted:

In case you were under the impression that Seattle doesn't have a good complement of scum:

http://realchangenews.org/index.php/site/archives/8799%22

Brought to my attention by an Amazon employee who confirms that Jarvinen is still employed there.

There's no way those guys haven't strangled at least one hooker.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

gohuskies posted:

Their real problem isn't regulation or wages, it's that there's significant investment going on at other ports and huge incentives to use those other ports.

For example, the Harbor Maintenance Tax is a tax levied on all goods that enter a US port. If you ship instead to Prince Rupert up in BC and run your goods on a train from BC into the US, you avoid the tax. They need to fix the HMT so it either doesn't exist at all or it's levied on all goods that enter the continent via a port, whether foreign or domestic.

The Panama Canal is being expanded, it'll be easier and cheaper to run ships through and it will be able to accommodate post-Panamax sized ships. Why unload at Seattle and ship it across the country when you can just sail right to the East Coast? The canal's capacity will be doubled in 2015 and that is a game-changer. Global warming creating a Northwest Passage over the top of Canada could be a similar game-changer.

And Canada is making huge investments in cross-continental rail to make Rupert even more attractive. Meanwhile we can't even connect the Port of Tacoma to highways 167 and 509, much less a serious cross-continental shipping line.

The Ports of Seattle, Tacoma and Everett need to stop fighting with each other and start fighting against Price Rupert, Port of LA and the Panama Canal. They need to work together to make serious investments in making the Puget Sound an attractive place to ship to. This small-ball poo poo is a distraction.

Worth noting, too, that Nicaragua is going to build their own canal.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Bob Socko posted:

What a bizarre thing to be enraged by. I can't think of a time I've passed through that neighborhood and not seen the homeless there. Unless they're high, the homeless in Seattle are pretty passive.

Those filthy poors have no business lounging around civic shrines to ARE HEROES. After all, none of them actually own property for firefighters to save.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I give the fire department props for basically saying "gently caress these guys."

If that had been a couple of off-duty cops instead the chief would have said that it was totally justified.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

Wow I never heard about 'apodments' until now. Who would want to live in one of those things? I can kind of see as a kid fresh out of college who needs a cheap place to live for a few years. Would hate to see that crap become more prevalent though. It seems like more and more Seattle is getting closer to the hellscape of housing that is San Francisco.

In Tacoma I lived in a subdivided house apartment with a full kitchen and bath that was less than 180 square feet. I loved it and wish there were more options like that here. I would despise sharing a bath and kitchen though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

Goddamn kids and their rock music, and sock hops; wish they would get off my lawn!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

SedanChair posted:

In Tacoma I lived in a subdivided house apartment with a full kitchen and bath that was less than 180 square feet. I loved it and wish there were more options like that here. I would despise sharing a bath and kitchen though.

The shared kitchen/bath arrangements are an artifact of the regulatory environment niche which makes apodments profitable and avoid environmental impact studies. The apodment is not caused by good design work or meeting a need, just hucksters profiteering off of the municipal code.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
To be clear, I'd rather see cheaper normal housing like studios and 1 bedrooms. Apodments reek of 'new normal' bullshit that's just trying to get everyone to accept a loss of something (space to live, have guests, raise a family, etc.) as a good thing.

quote:

The shared kitchen/bath arrangements are an artifact of the regulatory environment niche which makes apodments profitable and avoid environmental impact studies. The apodment is not caused by good design work or meeting a need, just hucksters profiteering off of the municipal code.

Exactly--the only person that benefits from an apodment is the developer who can cram more profit out of the same space area.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 3, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

mod sassinator posted:

I don't think apodments are a bad idea in and of themselves (some people just don't need or want much space), but as a symptom of a major housing crunch yeah they suck.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Are there any realistic ways to improve the housing situation? I'm terrified things will get just as bad as San Francisco, where the median home price is over a million bucks. People are just going to keep getting pushed further from the city until everything is like Belltown. Can you imagine Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Fremont, etc. when the only people that live there are folks earning $200k+/yr from MS, Amazon, etc?

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Don't cap supply ould be a good start

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xylorjax posted:

Yeah but it pretty requires thinks like smart planning and also recognizing that some historical buildings will get raised similar to New York City.

Most of the SF mess is due to the combination of big compensation packages combined with big population growth. Most of the Bay Area is as a rule of thumb is zoned as low density suburbs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Yeah but it pretty requires thinks like smart planning and also recognizing that some historical buildings will get raised similar to New York City.

Most of the SF mess is due to the combination of big compensation packages combined with big population growth. Most of the Bay Area is as a rule of thumb is zoned as low density suburbs.

Yeah, the reticence about doing any development has had a huge impact on SF's housing market. Those single-family domiciles take up a metric fuckton of space, that could better be used as apartments or condos.

Mixed-use housing is awesome, and I don't understand the hate for it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We're barely even comparable to SF. SF barely allows any multi family housing and hasn't changed it's zoning in like a decade. We rezone every few years and there's a poo poo ton of multifamily + mixed use zoning. Every time ST buys land for new light rail, ST buys way more land area than they need and then interview buyers for "transit oriented development" so ST can ensure that what will be built there will be apartment/condos so you can't just have like CVS buy the lot and build a single level shopping center (like they tried to do in Wallingford)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Xylorjax posted:

Yeah, maybe I'm hopelessly naive but it seems like as land gets more valuable that would naturally incentivize developers to build taller buildings so you get more apartments/condos per square foot of land, which would slow the growth in housing prices. Of course you also need government to support that kind of development with infrastructure.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Cicero posted:

Yeah, maybe I'm hopelessly naive but it seems like as land gets more valuable that would naturally incentivize developers to build taller buildings so you get more apartments/condos per square foot of land, which would slow the growth in housing prices. Of course you also need government to support that kind of development with infrastructure.

Taller buildings piss people off. Less sunshine, impeded views for current residents, more traffic, yadda yadda.

IIRC there was some bitching about raising height-caps in South Lake Union, but I don't remember what happened next.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bartkusa posted:

Taller buildings piss people off. Less sunshine, impeded views for current residents, more traffic, yadda yadda.

IIRC there was some bitching about raising height-caps in South Lake Union, but I don't remember what happened next.
Mostly, the city, Amazon, and Paul Allen collectively said "suck our collective dick."

Yeah, Seattle is waaaaaaaayyyy better than SF about development. Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of developers are complete shitpieces, but development is necessary when you've got a growing city. And our city is pretty awesome, so lots of people are moving here.

I feel sympathy for the people being pushed out of SLU by rising rent and development, but at the same time, I'm glad that Amazon is taking the initiative in building sustainable housing for their employees near their offices, instead of just moving a ton of people out here and saying "go try and find someplace." It's a much more responsible way of doing things.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Cicero posted:

I'm sadly ignorant about Seattle regulations on this matter, but often a constraining factor on building heigher is requirements on parking availability, meaning to build higher you need either taller or lower parking decks (expensive) or available street parking (typically impossible). Of course, assuming this is a factor in Seattle, the solution is just to stop or lower the requirements.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Thanatosian posted:

Mostly, the city, Amazon, and Paul Allen collectively said "suck our collective dick."

Yeah, Seattle is waaaaaaaayyyy better than SF about development. Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of developers are complete shitpieces, but development is necessary when you've got a growing city. And our city is pretty awesome, so lots of people are moving here.

I feel sympathy for the people being pushed out of SLU by rising rent and development, but at the same time, I'm glad that Amazon is taking the initiative in building sustainable housing for their employees near their offices, instead of just moving a ton of people out here and saying "go try and find someplace." It's a much more responsible way of doing things.

So company-towns are awesome and don't erode worker rights and civic ethics whatsoever?

Cicero posted:

I don't think apodments are a bad idea in and of themselves (some people just don't need or want much space), but as a symptom of a major housing crunch yeah they suck.

Apodments are a symptom of broken regulatory system that creates a niche where a mutant developments with a large number of beds but few kitchens that would be otherwise DOA are actually a more efficient method of profiteering from a housing crunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Gerund posted:

So company-towns are awesome and don't erode worker rights and civic ethics whatsoever?

Do you think it would be good for Amazon to just tell people to commute an hour a day rather than lobbying the city council to upzone for more apartments in the direct area?

Would you rather they be more like Microsoft, build out in the middle of nowhere and then have a true company town built around them? Redmond/Bellevue is a sterile cold area that only exists in the size it does because of Microsoft and the tract housing developments reach all the way into Issaquah.

• Locked thread