Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Coffee. Cigarettes. Beer. Kimchi. Ingest.
Speaking of Washington, is the state seeing any tax revenue on marijuana? Is the state doing anything positive with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Stores open in June, so there hasn't been any sales yet. I am sure you will hear it in the papers when the first ones open. I expect there will be a place right on the other side of the i-5 bridge with a line of Portlanders waiting.

Oh, drat. I thought the stores were open. It has taken the state government this long? Ah, red tape.

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Mrit posted:

There is more detail in the Marijuana thread, but basically it boils down to the Colorado law was nearly a free-for-all, and the Washington law is going very slowly and very carefully.
Also, Washington sat on their hands until the Feds came out and said, "Fine, whatever." A 6-9 month delay right there.
The first growing permits just went out, that crop will be the first sold this summer(June-ish). And with a 25% tax on each stage of the process(25% for each producer, processor, seller) plus local sales taxes, it will be expensive but make Colorado's tax revenues look like chump change.

That's really too bad. When I first heard about Washington legalizing Marijuana 2 years ago I was excited to see how the Government would go about taxing it, where that tax money would end up and the social impact legalizing marijuana would have. I hope the tax isn't outrageously high, but I would like to see this new found tax revenue help alleviate some of the problems we're having.

• Locked thread