Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What makes you assume that it is even possible to "erase something from the public consciousness"? This has been tried over and over in many places throughout history and it's failed virtually every single time.
The Caste system was largely obsolete in many parts of India (like the Punjab) by the 19th century, then the British came in and essentially reinstalled it.

Considering the fact that it largely ingrained into the public consciousness by colonialism there is nothing impossible about removing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

computer parts posted:

The idea of Caste is present among many cultures (including the West) and it is a complementary component to capitalism so I don't see why or how it would be erased in the near future.
This is really bad false equivalence

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

down with slavery posted:

You posted a thread called "What should be done about India" when you live in a country that has more than it's own fair share of problems and then proceeded to trumpet your ignorance when called out on it.

Really? You want to know where you went wrong? If you wanted to learn about India you should read Wikipedia, not make "fix-em-up" threads in D&D for countries where the most you know is that "nobody has defended India".
This is pretty much a massive poo poo post by someone who really wants to feel morally superior to other posters ITT.

No amount of D&D discussion will actually result in the US or any other western country doing anything "about" India. But that doesn't stop an interesting discussion about India's problems to be had. Nobody ITT is denying the massive amount of problems facing the US and the west in general.

quote:

Also fyi for as much hate as the "caste" system gets in this thread, America basically has the same thing, it just manifests itself in a different way. Humans are capital here too and it can be difficult or impossible to improve your social status due to reasons outside of your control.
No poo poo sherlock, every single society in Human history have had a "caste system" in one way or another.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Well, if we're going to start labeling cultures as "objectively wrong" the US seems like a great place to start.
yes, except this isn't a thread dedicated to talking about the US, that would be like the other 5-6 threads on the front page

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Right over your head
Ok this is just a troll

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

quote:

I don't sneer at the idea of educating women, it's just the one liner that "concerned" people throw out as a panacea to social ills/overpopulation and a host of other issues. The real answer for first worlders if they want to change the third world is to put pressure on our government to use its leverage to do something. If we want the legislators and judiciary in India to respect our cultural norms, we should use our economic leverage to do so. In fact, I'd argue that we should/could be doing this with a lot of other places than India.
Do.....what exactly?

quote:

But I think it's foolhardy and absurd to place the blame for India's situation at the feet of India. They simply do not control the global socioeconomic system they are forced to participate in to continue existing as a country.
This is, of course, coming from someone who self-admittedly knows nothing about India.

quote:

I'm not trying to vomit on the thread
But you did anyway

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 12, 2014

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Thundercracker posted:

Man, people were giving me grief when I suggested that "DO NOTHING" is the best thing we could ever do for India, but holy poo poo, you guys are demonstrating my point perfectly.

Between the flat out racism, cultural superiority, and outright nostalgia for British coloniasm, and more, why on earth do you think any idea y'all can up with wouldn't be tainted with with your own biases and condesension.
There is no such thing as a political idea that ISN'T tainted with with someone's own biases and condesension.

quote:

You know why doing nothing is the best thing for India? Because the kind of person who even posts a thread titled "What should be done about India?", and anyoen who seriously debates ideas in it are completely and utterly doomed to failure in even the theoritical stage, let alone any sort of on-the-ground implementation.
Nobody is actually going to implement these ideas because nobody on D&D is in any position of political authority.

D&D posters needs to get over the stage of their lives where discussing the problems of any non-white countries makes you a racist.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Refuse to do business with countries and corporations who take advantage of unjust labor laws. Force US corporations who operate there to hold themselves to the same safety, environmental and labor regulations if they want to bring the profits back home. Don't allow the West to take advantage of things like the caste system and economic inequality in India and instead use our leverage to change those things
How do you do this exactly?

Countries US corporations operate in have their own laws which nominally do implement "safety, environmental, labor regulations". Except of course, due to corruption and lack of transparency, those laws are rarely or ineffectively enforced. Especially in rural areas (see gangrapes). Even if you pressure them into enacting new legislation to the effect of implementing labor regulations, you run into the same problem of enforcement.

So really, how do you intend the US to start enforcing them?

quote:

You're a pretty lovely poster tbqh, maybe you should try reading my posts from the start before you get all up in arms. The only people who are making GBS threads on this thread are those like you who refuse to apply any nuance to the statement "India is a shithole". Go back to GBS.
Where did I "refuse to apply any nuance to the statement "India is a shithole""

Seriously, try to find a post where I did that.

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 12, 2014

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

I never used the word racist but it's nice to see you already playing this card. I have no problem with discussing the issues India faces in the 21st century, but to label the country as "objectively bad" seems a bit extreme to me. Discussing problems doesn't make you an idiot, calling Indian culture "objectively bad" and saying we should pave the country do.
That post was not response to you

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

I've had this conversation many times in many threads but it would be quite easy for the US to place demands on developing countries that it does business with, and indeed we do. Only it's to ensure that our corporations can maximize their profits, not to ensure that we're living in an equitable society.
Yes, it's easy to make demands.

The problem is that in practice this is going to mean making the national government pass new pieces of legislature or w/e.

But really, in places like India or China even the central government in those countries themselves are often unable enforcing EXISTING labor/environmental regulations because of ineffective institutions or local authority resisting directives from the center. Or because of corruption, or occasionally because even the people themselves don't really want them.

The US itself also have few, if any, means of enforcing labor standards externally themselves. Even if it starts cracking down domestic corporations accused of indecent labor standards, evading them is as trivial as creating subsidiaries outside US jurisdiction, or simply hand things over to native Indian firms along the supply chain.

This idea is definitely well intended, just not very practical.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I think a similar intensive program of centralization, de-agrarianization and industrial capital formation is exactly what India needs, as well as very strong state to undermine and remove any traditional/religious power structures which negatively impact gender equality. There the similarities to any other leader end.
First of all, this has -already- being tried not just in India (Nehru) but across the developing Middle East (Nasser, the FLN) as well.

The problem with from a social perspective is that by necessity the driver of this program is going to be a secularized, westernized elite which is disconnected from the general population. What this means is that once the first generation of charismatic leaders are dead and gone, there really isn't much appeal to the societal model they are proposing anymore. Even when nominal improvements to things like women's rights are made, such ideas rarely seep through society, even among the people they are purported to benefit.

The old rituals of national liberation, holidays and ideas, starts to fade with every new generation. The failure of governments to deliver on what they promised starts to discredit their core ideology. Leaving two alternatives to young people: either religious conservatism or globalized consumerism and pop culture. The states founded by secular nationalists for the most part still stands today, having never realized the westernized vision their leaders set out for it. With a religious revival amongst the younger generation that comes as a complete surprise to the first generation of secular (hindutva in India, Islamists in the Middle East).

The potential for religious revival might exist because the ruling elite never really engaged in a dialogue with its people over the issue of secularization. It seems to me (and correct me if I'm wrong obviously) that the ruling secular elite prefer to simply dismiss the opposing narrative.

Note that this has being true in both democracies (India) or Dictatorships (Egypt).

Inserting a Stalinist dictatorship does.....something, but it might too optimistic for it to get away without the sort of famines of the Stalinist era. I'd loath to turn this into another communistchat thread, but note that famines are pretty useful in getting rid of political opponents (Kulaks, landlords etc) in the countryside. And any dictatorship seeking to radically transform society is going to have a lot of those opponents.

Not only that, but given its the 21st century, I'm really not sure if a Stalinesque dictatorship is viable.

If you have time, this lecture is a pretty interesting discussion on the reversal of secularization after the 1970s in India, Algeria, and Israel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6rgWqwX0N0

Typo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 13, 2014

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not like you need to point to Stalin for famines, or even famines being used as a political tool. India experienced both under the British.
Sure, that's true too

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dusz posted:

I think this is relevant because it's an important concept when discussing India.
Or more to the point, it's pretty the lowest common denominator debate in D&D. You can pretty much apply it to discussing any social/political/economics issue, it's something where everyone can get awfully excited and grind their political axes without any specialized knowledge on the actual country being discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Anarkii posted:

Our higher education system is so far better than anything in US/Europe that such comments are ridiculous.
No it's not, I know this because of the ridiculous number of Indian grad students who choose to study abroad as opposed to in India. A the same time, I would be willing to bet money the number of European/American students who choose to study in India for grad school is really really low.

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 14, 2014

• Locked thread