Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'd say demons souls was grindy but I don't remember grindy at all in my playthrough of dark souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Robawesome posted:

Dark Souls wasn't grindy? You can speedrun through it. In what way did you feel it was? I suppose if you're relying on stats and don't get good at fighting you'll be grinding for souls to level up but you can (fairly easily) beat the game at SL1. I honestly don't understand your complaint.

Maybe he's asking if the power curve is flatter over the course of the game?

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
People made fun of me and beat me up and threw me in the garbage for buying Dark Souls 2 at the Titanfall midnight release.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Maybe he's asking if the power curve is flatter over the course of the game?

Could be. I agree with Harminoff, Demon's Souls was a bit grindy if only for the grasses, but I didn't play that nearly as much as Dark Souls. Grinding for Humanities if you're relying on summoning people and stuck at a boss or grinding for covenant rewards could be "grindy" but those are both optional.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

You should have summoned some blue phantoms to help

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

SL1 runs aren't really a good example against grinding because they typically do, you know, involve some grinding.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cool Blue Reason posted:

People made fun of me and beat me up and threw me in the garbage for buying Dark Souls 2 at the Titanfall midnight release.

That's what you get for invading their world. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seems slightly inconvenient that you have to go to one specific location to level up, easy warping notwithstanding. It's like they just put a loading screen in between what you'd usually do when hitting the bonfire for an upgrade. Oh, well. Minor gripe. Once I get my hands on the game myself I might not mind so much.

Clandestine
May 31, 2011

superh posted:

Haven't they been up for like, a week? Or have all the streamers been offline?

I'm almost positive they have been playing offline, especially going by what has been said in the last thread.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Are the servers not up yet, am I gonna have to play offline :(

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Speedball posted:

you have to go to one specific location to level up, easy warping notwithstanding.

What do you mean by this? Spoiler tag it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Ok good I'm not the only one can't get online. Well that was a waste of time buying at midnight then if I can't even play the full game yet.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Speedball posted:

Seems slightly inconvenient that you have to go to one specific location to level up, easy warping notwithstanding. It's like they just put a loading screen in between what you'd usually do when hitting the bonfire for an upgrade. Oh, well. Minor gripe. Once I get my hands on the game myself I might not mind so much.

It's pretty annoying that you have to click through her talking as well alla demons souls.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Couldn't see an answer to this question in the previous thread, but when you summon folks now, do you actually get to summon by their character name, or is it all gamertag again ?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Harminoff posted:

It's pretty annoying that you have to click through her talking as well alla demons souls.

Does she chant while you're looking at the level up menu?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

When I try to start the game I get a message saying "Failed to install trophy set. You can reinstall the trophy set by quitting DARK SOULS II and restarting." However, quitting and restarting does not help. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

straight jerkers posted:

Does she chant while you're looking at the level up menu?

No, she repeats 4 lines that you need to press through to get to the options to level up.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Jester Mcgee posted:

When I try to start the game I get a message saying "Failed to install trophy set. You can reinstall the trophy set by quitting DARK SOULS II and restarting." However, quitting and restarting does not help. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

In true Souls fashion, nothing is easy. You even have to figure out how to install trophies on your own.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Jester Mcgee posted:

Well, I don't know why this worked, but I made a new account on my PS3 and it worked fine, now I have some weird extra account. :iiam:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Let the Dark Souls begin.

After I install all this stuff.

Man, I just want to play Dark Souls.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
More reviews if anyone cares:
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/dark-souls-2-review/1900-6415691/ - Gamespot 9/10
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/11/5492096/dark-souls-2-review - Polygon 9/10
http://www.destructoid.com/review-dark-souls-ii-270684.phtml - Destructoid 9/10

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Overall I'm really exited about this game, but some of the changes to the way resources work have me worried. It feels like DS2 is gonna punish failure a lot harder than the previous game, with the way that a lot of vital resources aren't as replenishable. I'm worried that it'll be a lot easier to run into situations where a character is just irrevocably hosed and you have to start over.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Doctor Zaius posted:

Overall I'm really exited about this game, but some of the changes to the way resources work have me worried. It feels like DS2 is gonna punish failure a lot harder than the previous game, with the way that a lot of vital resources aren't as replenishable. I'm worried that it'll be a lot easier to run into situations where a character is just irrevocably hosed and you have to start over.

You upgrade your flask pretty fast, and the source you need to heal is plentiful until then. It's a weird exchange/progression but it works. It actually hands you a lot of items up front but you will need to upgrade stats a lot to be able to hold them.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol there's this guy with an electronic hookah here

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Someone got mad at the clerk at Gamestop because they called the collectors edition the "one with the toy". He went into big thing about difference between toys and figures, I'm never going to a midnight launch again

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

CousinKevin posted:

Someone got mad at the clerk at Gamestop because they called the collectord edition the "one with the toy". He went into big thing about difference between toys and figures, I'm never going to a midnight launch again

Are you serious

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

quote:

Dark Souls II for PS3 is currently experiencing occasional difficulty with some online matching features.
NAMCO BANDAI Games is currently working with FromSoftware and Sony Computer Entertainment to
address all difficulties and will provide an update shortly. Thank you for your understanding.

Just play offline and go online later, not gonna matter right now anyways.

Robawesome posted:

Are you serious

Sounds like the people who'd go out to midnight launches to me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CousinKevin posted:

Someone got mad at the clerk at Gamestop because they called the collectors edition the "one with the toy". He went into big thing about difference between toys and figures, I'm never going to a midnight launch again

It's not a toy it's a FIGURE you loving pleb, GAH. First of all...

Holy poo poo lol

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 11, 2014

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I went through the trouble of associating with bums at the video game store buying titanfall... whatever the hell that is... showed up in work clothes I don't think these people had ever seen a tie before.

And now I can't even get online? Is there any point to mashing retry on the "failed to login to the Dark Souls II game server" message?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Twilight Matrix posted:

Is there any point to mashing retry on the "failed to login to the Dark Souls II game server" message?

No that just makes it worse.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, having the same issue trying to log online. Oh well.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Dark Souls II service not available. Please try again later or play offline.

All of the xbox infrastructure is powering titanfall, isn't it...

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Twilight Matrix posted:

And now I can't even get online? Is there any point to mashing retry on the "failed to login to the Dark Souls II game server" message?

You are the reason the servers are down. Just you.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is there any word on the PS3 PSN download version? Is this going to be ready here directly or will I have to wait for the store to update tomorrow?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

DeathSandwich posted:

So is there any word on the PS3 PSN download version? Is this going to be ready here directly or will I have to wait for the store to update tomorrow?

If you pre-ordered it you should be able to start downloading at 12:01 PST.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

DeathSandwich posted:

If you pre-ordered it you can download it at 12:01 PST. If you didn't you have to wait for the store update.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm loving pumped holy poo poo, I want to camp for this. But work is alot more important. Or is it???????????

But yeah, I'm getting this poo poo after work, and you better believe i'm gonna be gaming till' my thumbs go cramp. I am so excited for this poo poo, nothing can go wrong.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
All of us PSN preorder folk should have made a drinking game where we take a drink every time someone comes back from their local game store midnight release and asks why the servers aren't up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

If you pre-ordered it you can download it at 12:01 PST. If you didn't you have to wait for the store update.

I paid for this much earlier today at the PSN store, that counts yes? It said Black Armor Edition and all that jazz

• Locked thread