Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Ah, looks like the servers are down for everyone right now then. Well, I guess I can enjoy the opening bits of the game without invaders wrecking my poo poo. I GUESS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

In case you guys were wondering, if you got the retail Black Armor edition you get the PS dynamic theme; it unlocks along with everything else once you put in the code.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBCCVGbVfA

This guy is amazing. Best send-off to Dark Souls I could imagine.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CousinKevin posted:

Someone got mad at the clerk at Gamestop because they called the collectors edition the "one with the toy". He went into big thing about difference between toys and figures, I'm never going to a midnight launch again
Jesus Christ Marie they're minerals :argh:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Speedball posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBCCVGbVfA

This guy is amazing. Best send-off to Dark Souls I could imagine.

Someone probably just scrolled past this video because it's 35 minutes long, go watch it ya bum.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Amazon is now saying my copy won't be here until Thursday. This very well may be the last time choose hard copy over digital.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Where is the torch??? I picked it up next to this thing but I can't find it in my inventory anywhere.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I completely broke tonight and decided that I'm just going to get this for 360 tomorrow while waiting for the PC version. Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times, I scanned the thread and didn't see anything.

-Do I need to buy Gold for anything? I haven't used my 360 in like a year so wondering if I should get a month to go along with the game.
-Am I gonna be able to buy/download it off the Xbox store in however many hours or whenever it becomes available?

NyaoMyao
Mar 29, 2010

Super High School Level BFFs

ShadowMar posted:

Someone probably just scrolled past this video because it's 35 minutes long, go watch it ya bum.

How did you know
If I have automatic updates and preordered the game off of PSN, it should download while I'm sleeping, yes? I really shouldn't stay up till 2am, as much as I want to.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kawalimus posted:

Where is the torch??? I picked it up next to this thing but I can't find it in my inventory anywhere.

Go to a bonfire to light it. I'ts not in your inventory.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Welp, already died. Off to a good start!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Go to a bonfire to light it. I'ts not in your inventory.

Nope there's no option for this here either. I thought this at first too then I went and nothing. Now I checked it again still can't see any torch option here

edit: FOUND IT!!!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

It's not in your inventory, it's part of your like, status?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
It's really unfortunate that people waiting for the PC release have to wait more then a month to get their Dark Souls 2. I would have picked up the console release if I had a working 360...or PS3.

I'm hoping to go through the game blind. It's gonna be soo hard avoiding spoilers.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
How is the soundtrack, for those of you playing it? Is it more like Demon's Souls or DS1? (I like both, but they're very different.)

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Apparently there are two cyclopses on that little beach lol.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Alright I messed up again how do I dash jump in this one? My first death was completely ignoring this tablet and falling right in this hole trying to dash jump just like in DS1 then the second time through I accidentally killed the message. Now I don't know how.

Nevermind the message regenerated when I killed myself again! :D

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 11, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Soma Soma Soma posted:

All of us PSN preorder folk should have made a drinking game where we take a drink every time someone comes back from their local game store midnight release and asks why the servers aren't up yet.
But I need to still be awake at 3am to start the download.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Apparently there are two cyclopses on that little beach lol.

Yep. There's a third one hiding out in that general area. Somewhere. (tutorial area enemy spoilers)

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

Nope there's no option for this here either. I thought this at first too then I went and nothing. Now I checked it again still can't see any torch option here

edit: FOUND IT!!!

This has confused a lot of people, maybe worth putting the info in the OP

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone else bummed by no rag-dolls? As annoying as they were it's pretty sad to see them not in a souls game.

One question I do have. Does lighting a fire remove enemies in the surrounding area?

Also, gently caress all chests.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 11, 2014

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

What the gently caress are these little pig things in the first village

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else bummed by no rag-dolls? As annoying as they were it's pretty sad to see them not in a souls game.

:smith:

Despair

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I've never bought a day 1 game from PSN. What time are they actually released for download? 2am PST?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TopHatGenius posted:

It's really unfortunate that people waiting for the PC release have to wait more then a month to get their Dark Souls 2. I would have picked up the console release if I had a working 360...or PS3.

I'm hoping to go through the game blind. It's gonna be soo hard avoiding spoilers.

Patience fellow goon

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

What the gently caress are these little pig things in the first village

They're the True End Boss. PIG SOULS

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I just picked up Dark Souls 1 again recently and then saw the steam page for the PC release. Thought this wasn't coming out until April! But there's a local game store 10 minutes from my house who were having midnight release.

So yeah it's installing now. Time to die.

Really excited to go into this pretty much blind. I spoiled a lot of the first two games for myself.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'm actually not that far into the game. But have off Fri-Tue just to play this. I can't wait.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So what do I give the bird's nest in the tutorial area?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

I've never bought a day 1 game from PSN. What time are they actually released for download? 2am PST?

midnight PST. 3 AM EST.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

Robawesome posted:

Dark Souls wasn't grindy? You can speedrun through it. In what way did you feel it was? I suppose if you're relying on stats and don't get good at fighting you'll be grinding for souls to level up but you can (fairly easily) beat the game at SL1. I honestly don't understand your complaint.

Grindy in the sense that to use certain equipment pieces (great hammers for instance) you needed some high stats/amounts of souls to equip it. I know it's not necessary to grind to beat the game but if you wanted to use some of the gear you had to grind out a lot of souls as well as spend them only in a certain way or else end up grinding even more souls.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I want to make sure I've got this right. The devs are punishing you for being bad at this game by making you even more bad by lowering your max HP every time you die?!

Why do I do this to myself?! :negative:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harminoff posted:

Wait, time out.

So if I slam some poor bastard with some huge R2, he doesn't get thrown around?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The intro is sick as gently caress omg

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tallgeese posted:

Wait, time out.

So if I slam some poor bastard with some huge R2, he doesn't get thrown around?

That's not rag dolls that's just animations and physics. The rag dolling they removed is the stuff with dead enemy corpses and how they'd flail around if you ran over them. That stuff's gone.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Going in to this one blind, since my experience with the first game was one of knowing everything that was coming. Just wondering if there's any major changes to gameplay systems that I should know for the early parts of the game (like changes in which stats are important, or how endurance or armor weight or etc work).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I just got back from my gamestop. About 100 people showed up. Only took about 20 minutes to get through the line though.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
If I never played the first one yet, should I even bother?

e; probably a stupid question since you guys haven't even played this game yet.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What causes first boss: the last giant to fall over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I want to make sure I've got this right. The devs are punishing you for being bad at this game by making you even more bad by lowering your max HP every time you die?!

Why do I do this to myself?! :negative:

No, you've got it all wrong. The devs gave you a 100% bonus to your starting health and they deduct some of that bonus each time you die until you get to regular health.

Grump posted:

If I never played the first one yet, should I even bother?

Good god yes

• Locked thread