Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

poptart_fairy posted:

OK, That Boss in Iron Keep is apparently weak to lightning. I DISPUTE THIS.

I shall have to come back later. Most mobs in there one or two-shot me, and my damage is flagging. Can't respec to bump FTH higher though - for some reason I didn't get a soul vessel from the house basement, which is confusing as hell. :psyduck:

This happened to me too in NG+, all I got was a Divine Blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Monomythian posted:

You are going to get sucker punched without a chance a lot more often then having a good fight in DS2, regardless of cheaters, so get use to it.

All of the pvp I've had in Dark Souls II so far has been pretty fair. A few times there have been some powerful moves that have got me but never anything that took out my entire health bar from full to zero so uh... no?

In the future maybe you shouldn't assume my experiences are like yours. I'm specifically talking about going toe to toe with some super aggressive player that can do that because he has 2000+ hp and extremely high armor who hits like a truck (enough so to one-shot me) when I'm still like.... SL80. Hence, the curiousity about the megamule situation.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Donald Kimball posted:

On my new character in NG that was all I got too. Glad I wasn't just misremembering getting a soul vessel with my first character.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Chippita posted:

Also, when did everyone get so loving soft on these forums? I thought we fed upon pubby tears, not bowed before duels against people whos sole purpose is to kill you and ruin your day. It's not like upon launching the game I started using a mule. I did my time, the game was getting boring, instead of not playing it anymore and filling my time up with something else, I figured I'd gently caress around and try to get some hate mail.

My brother was playing and I ran in and pulled the power cord out of the wall! What a pubby tears! He got mad because he's bad at the game! The real dark souls starts hERE BitCH

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

whaley posted:

My brother was playing and I ran in and pulled the power cord out of the wall! What a pubby tears! He got mad because he's bad at the game! The real dark souls starts hERE BitCH

Haha owned.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Tracula posted:

Did I do it right when I made my caestus character?

Looks like a cross between Overly Manly Man and Soda Popinski.

Well done.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Almost Smart posted:

I'm interested in getting a mega mule save file for PVE. Being able to curb stomp the everliving poo poo out the bosses who pissed me off would be really cathartic.

You could do this with slightly more effort by just making a hex build.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Man I don't even know how people can do PvP it's just so laggy. I do have a first gen fat PS3 though but it's never been a problem on any other game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Tracula posted:

Did I do it right when I made my caestus character?

God drat it people have commented on this and nobody ever said, wear a purple hat?

Waluigi! Waaaa~

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FishBulb posted:

Man I don't even know how people can do PvP it's just so laggy. I do have a first gen fat PS3 though but it's never been a problem on any other game.

Even uhh the other Souls games?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm just used to it. I've shored up as much of the problem as I can on my end so I know there will be situations where it's out of my hands, and I roll with it. The only instances where the lag will actually annoy me is if I clearly land a hit on my screen and nothing happens but that's pretty infrequent.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ineffiable posted:

God drat it people have commented on this and nobody ever said, wear a purple hat?

Waluigi! Waaaa~

I get a bit of a Wario and Waluigi vibe from it. I coulda gone even crazier with the chin but I figured that it was pointy enough. The only somewhat disturbing thing is when I hollow enough my mustache falls off and I have no mouth (and I must scream) :stonk:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
There's no real point in going through the game at the lowest level possible anymore right? I can't invade anyone with my (legit) SL1 dickwraith because of soul memory? :(
Doesn't soul memory kind of put a cap on how many times you can co-op, etc, because maybe you co-op at one boss for a while then can't get any summons at the next because you're too high? Or is the game's non-linearity meant to help with people being at all different memories for different bosses (not that there's a sign after Ruin Sentinels that says PULL BACK or anything)?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

BerkerkLurk posted:

Who invades you, beats you, and then send you a message afterwards to gloat?

I got "KID YOU ARE SO loving BAD" from a guy who invaded my SL 1 character. Great job barely winning bro, did you not see the blue wooden shield?

I thought rather than bitch about cheating I would write an actual guide for people who want to do hexes and maybe compete or co-op at a low level. This is designed to get you into hexing at low soul level and memory and with a minimum of game progression.

HOW TO BE A HEXER
- Start as a cleric for the low ADP, DEX, and END, none of which you need. Start with the bonfire ascetic. Fisticuff the tutorial (if you do it) as you start 1 STR from being able to use your starting weapon and 1 DEX from being able to use the dagger.
- Grab the binoculars and crimson parma when you get to Majula and buy a point of STR (kill some stuff if you skipped the tutorial). You now have one of the best weapons in the game (Mace). Get used to using it as there are lots of times you will want to rather than burn spell uses.
- If you don't mind spoilers: Play through Forest of Fallen Giants until you find Melentia. Buy a firebomb - and a club if you prefer that to mace. Clear to the shortcut and open it. Talk to Cale and Pate. Make sure to get the blue wooden shield from the ballistae room. Get the sorceror staff from the illusory wall in Pate's trap area - that area is hard but just run that backwards (using the ladder entrance) before you go in. Grab the Light Crossbow while doing this. Now go back to Majula, get 10 INT and your mace enchanted, loot the house. Get soul arrow from Melentia. Now you have a ranged attack. I would probably finish clearing FOFG at this point but you don't have to. .
- If you are playing unspoiled just clear Forest of Fallen Giants in its entirety and make sure you find all the secret doors.
- Either way your next stat goals are 20 INT then 22 FTH then 20 ATT, straight in that order. Upgrade your mace and staff only.
- Next, clear Tower of Heide - your mace wrecks these guys. Summon help if you need to. Now this part needs a small spoiler because it's a roadblock. Make sure to talk to the cleric at the second bonfire you open until she leaves. Find her on the way to this zone from Majula, and talk to her to open the route to Huntsman's corpse. The hex trainer, Felkin, is at the entrance to this zone near the bonfire.

Congratulations, you are now a Hexer.

Advanced Hexing for Advanced Hexers - here is how to get your endgame gear and spells with a minimum of souls and progression:
- Felkin will give you a full set of Hexer armour and the Sunset Staff (the best hexing staff in the game) if you have 20 FTH and 20 INT. Use all your twinkling titanite on this until it's +5. Buy Dark Orb, Dark Weapon, the 2 Resonant Soul spells, Ring of Soul Protection, and the Archdrake Chime.
- Your next stat goals are: INT and FTH to 28. You can take both to 30 to get the idol's and saint's gear from Licia but it's not necessary as you won't have the twinkling to spare for the dragon chime and you can get the Archdrake to +7 pretty easily.
- Unlock the lockaway bonfire in Hunstman's and from there clear the Skeleton Lords - use your ascetic and do it again for the +55% casting ring.
- Grab the two branches in the next zone. Use the first on the chick to open up Shaded Woods. Run through there to the second bonfire. From there use the second branch on the guy guarding the lion's mage set and another branch. Put on the lion mage's set. Enchant it up.

At this point you can play however you want. Your next goals are:
- Unfreeze Straid, get Dark Fog and Darkstorm, a second Dark Orb, trade in 4 boss souls to get the Black Hood.
- Ascetic the 2nd bonfire in Shaded Woods to kill NG+ Scorpioness and get the Southern Ritual Band +2, kill her husband or talk to him after killing Freja for the Second Dragon Ring.
- Clear Covetous Demon and Mytha to get to the Dull Ember, get a darkstone somehow and enchant your sunset staff with dark. Eventually you want to enchant your Mace as well. Get the Royal Kite Shield from McDuff.
- At this point you should be level 65 with your points going to 12STR 20ATT 28FTH 28INT. You are soft-capped on Dark Damage with Straid's hood on. You haven't had to kill a big boss and your only real progress is towards Iron King. You have IMO the best gear to PVP or PVE with.
- Your Soul Memory should be low as your progression is low, you've had to upgrade a minimum of items and you haven't had to spend money on consumables.
- Your cast speed should be 250, at SL 150 it would be 330+. This is the key. Your spells have a minor stun/poise break and you are a machine gun. You will also be very light on your feet.
- However, to have your best chime and ring you will have to get to Castle Drangleic, where you get Caitha's Chime and the Abyss Seal. But you can get by fine with the Archdrake or Idol chimes until then.

Gear and Spells
- Armor: Black Hood, Lion Mage Gear otherwise - you might swap out the chest piece for utility or defense.
- Rings: 2nd/3rd Dragon Ring, +2 Bluestone always. Southern Ritual Band always for 20-25 ATT and most of the time for 30. Abyss Seal most of the time, especially for PvP. Last slot covenant or situational. Northern Ritual Band +0 can be good for some spell loadouts.
- Weapons: Dark Sunset Staff, Dark Caitha's Chime, Dark Mace, Lightning Light Crossbow.
- Spell loadouts: For PVP load up Dark Fog, Dark Orb, and Great Resonant Soul. Soul Greatsword is also terrific even with the reduced damage from your dark staff. Generally, start with your chime out and GRS loaded and see if your opponent knows how to roll. If they do, switch to the staff and Dark Fog them. If you level up INT a little or use spices Profound Still is absolutely brutal and Affinity can give you the chance to land GRS on someone.
- For PVE, 2 Dark Orbs, Great Resonant Soul, and the rest based on situation/preference - e.g. Darkstorm when you need AE, Dark Weapon or Resonant Weapon if you want to melee, etc. Yearn and Cast Light are FANTASTIC support sorceries. Dark Orb and your Mace will handle 90% of the problems you run into though.
- Bosses: Pyromancy is also VERY efficient with this build as your Fire damage is also softcapped. Firestorm and Darkstorm will wreck a lot of bosses, especially along with Iron Flesh. Otherwise if you can roll and cast Great Resonant Soul you can kill most bosses in the game.

- Your build at this point is to taste. I took VIG to 20, which I would highly recommend. I also took ATT to 30 so I could do without the Southern Ritual Ring if I wanted. I'm holding at level 85 to see what they do with Soul Memory and SL.
- You have enough levels left over to go dex / dark katana which is really nice or heavy into STR, in both cases getting 16-20 ADP and 10-20 END is also advised. 1 point in Dex lets you use the Heavy Crossbow. It's not hard to get enough STR/DEX to 2-hand some good stuff.
- Going FTH or INT heavy is inadvisable due to having to mix and match catalysts and infusions, but raising both to 33, 36, or 40 can be good to open up some utility paths and maximize dark damage.

Mainly, have fun with it. There are a lot of cool spells and the weapon buffs are also useful. The AEs are a great mix of power and oh-poo poo-I'm-frozen-in-this-animation-for-20-minutes terror. Chicks and fatties look great in lion mage gear.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 24, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The soul memory boundaries on co-oping seem really generous, at least in my experience.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

FishBulb posted:

It's not laggy for me.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Donald Kimball posted:

Happened to me last night in regular NG :sigh:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im just glad other player phantoms no longer cause the game to lag like crazy. Anyone remember dark souls 1 on ps3 with 3 phantoms around?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Im just glad other player phantoms no longer cause the game to lag like crazy. Anyone remember dark souls 1 on ps3 with 3 phantoms around?

Yeah. Especially the Township or the Forest; hello Blightown-level FPS. I did have the silver lining of letting you know if the host had phantoms, I guess. :yayclod:

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Why did I think Great Resonant Soul would work well against Darklurker :psyduck:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally picked up the Great Club and reset my stats so I can power-stance it with a Large Club. It's pretty fun but my stamina is way too low right now; I need to get my SL up. I also want to burn an Ascetic so I can get a second Great Club, and go pick up some better armor because having low poise sucks.

Smashing stuff with two giant logs is pretty great.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lotish posted:

The soul memory boundaries on co-oping seem really generous, at least in my experience.

I'm at 1.1 million on NG and I can still get some hits at Smelly D, so there definitely is.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

lohli posted:

I think I have taken my boss soul farming too far.

I haven't even finished my first playthrough

I'm at 80 hours, 4 million SM on NG. I got my Mad Warrior set but poo poo cannot get the Llewellyn chest to drop.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Aurain posted:

I'm at 1.1 million on NG and I can still get some hits at Smelly D, so there definitely is.

I went up to 5.5 million on NG. Summons were getting pretty slow at 4 million, but going back to sunbro supposedly widens the range. Seemed to help for me for an extra million, then it started slowing down again.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Aurain posted:

And as far as we know, the range could be enormous if you're in ng. And ng+ has its own crowd and maxes out at 12million sm which isn't that had if you coop a lot of ng+ bosses or do lots of PvP.

Seems like if you use an ascetic, that area is for all intends and purposes, ng+. I've done it a few times for boss souls and as soon as I pop the ascetic, I got lots of summon signs showing up (like I was sl120 for sinners, and saw more signs after the ascetic.)

Is there really that much extra lore in ng+? I'll admit, I farmed easy bosses so I could run through the shrine of winter for now and ng++ for my platinum.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Calaveron posted:

Are there any tips for dealing with the Smelter Demon? I'm running with a Dangrleic GS (which I think is getting outdated. Any recommendations?) with relatively balanced Str/Dex, no sorceries or miracles, and a couple of pyromancies. Kinda not liking how this boss seems to have been designed specifically to annoy melee players.
Fight him solo, naked, with a poison weapon or a dozen throwing daggers. Don't keep hitting him with the poison ammo once the 15 starts ticking, but two poisons should kill him.

Also, goddamn are bell invaders with invisible old whips obnoxious.

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Why can't I get past drat Velstadt. I can't get near him as it seems everytime I dodge the attack from the front I get caught on the backswing. Then I either don't roll back far enough from his overhead slam, or dodge too early and it tracks and smashes me.

I have gone in with one summon twice, and died about 3-4 seconds before the phantom finished him off. Just now I took 2 in, and they both got wiped out on the same swing. He doesn't even seem that difficult!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fyuz posted:

Why can't I get past drat Velstadt. I can't get near him as it seems everytime I dodge the attack from the front I get caught on the backswing. Then I either don't roll back far enough from his overhead slam, or dodge too early and it tracks and smashes me.

I have gone in with one summon twice, and died about 3-4 seconds before the phantom finished him off. Just now I took 2 in, and they both got wiped out on the same swing. He doesn't even seem that difficult!
Bad summon luck. I've done that fight as a phantom quite a few times and think I died once because I wasn't paying attention and rolled back into a pillar so I took giant hammer to the face, and I'm no pro.

Speaking of stupid summons I'd like to not get killed by ballistas during the Pursuer fight.

Dark Cohomology
Nov 4, 2009

Araganzar posted:

HOW TO BE A HEXER

Hey thanks for all this. I had to dig across the internet and figure most of this out myself when I built a fresh hexer a week or so ago.

If you prefer fashion to min/maxing, you can change the final build as follows:
- Spend like 2 hours making female characters slowly and repeatedly restarting cause you greatly messed up the cheek shading or whatever after you hit confirm and saw your chick in the world.
- Max out item find in Earthen peak to get the Desert Sorceress Top.
- Release Navlaan or do his quest to buy the Black Mage Trousers.
- Go clubbing in your slutwear.
- Also get some Alonne Knight Armor for those times when you need defense/pvp/a serious-looking character. That armor is great for anyone.

I just really hated all the "good caster gear" and figured I like super-fast rolling, so why not go all out? My wife is so proud of how I spend my time.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Mechathief posted:

I'm still like.... SL80.

Damage output only goes up with SL while defense stagnates, so that makes sense at 80. The longer you play the more likely you are going to have a Great Soul Resonance or Moonlight Sword in your face, which will at the very least cut your HP in half, assuming you have 30 vigor. You are going to have to deal with that eventually since its soul memory and not soul level that dictates your opponents.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Does casting speed really affect the rate at which Dark Fog poisons somebody?

Last night I discovered that Dark Fog can be cast through doors. I was bellbroing and some poor fool tried to hide in the entrance with the door closed, so I decided to smoke him out.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I've got a character I'm trying to play as a pyro. What's the earliest place you can get a flame, or is getting the pyro trainer the best way to start?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I believe the very tail end of No Man's Wharf is the first place you can get a pyromancy flame, chronologically. It's in a chest just before the "leave this area and go to the next" thing you have to examine.

edit: If you're willing to sequence break a little you can obtain a Fragrant Branch of Yore and use it to un-petrify the woman turned to stone in front of the Shaded Woods. She gives you a flame as thanks, and is the game's main pyromancy trainer once she moves to Majula. Just make sure you wait till she's gone to pull the lever she was in front of.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 4, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CJacobs posted:

I believe the very tail end of No Man's Wharf is the first place you can get a pyromancy flame, chronologically. It's in a chest just before the "leave this area and go to the next" thing you have to examine.

If you have enough health, the dark flame might be quicker. The worst part would be that pack of exploding mummies.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Monomythian posted:

Damage output only goes up with SL while defense stagnates, so that makes sense at 80. The longer you play the more likely you are going to have a Great Soul Resonance or Moonlight Sword in your face, which will at the very least cut your HP in half, assuming you have 30 vigor. You are going to have to deal with that eventually since its soul memory and not soul level that dictates your opponents.

Yeah, but I mean the problem from what I heard was that the megamule save gave everyone who used it everything at max level with zero soul memory. That's why I was wondering if it was widespread, because I didn't feel like running into that over and over again while just starting out with a pvp-focused character. Doesn't sound like it'll be an issue though. I agree I will run into that eventually as my SM increses to parity with those using such crazy combos, I don't mind that.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I've been so busy with life/work I haven't been able to spend nearly as much time as others on this game. It's finally starting to click for me though.

I went through the zones to kill Lost Sinner and it was ok and fun enough, but lacking somewhere. After the game opens up, I screwed around in a few different areas and now I am in Iron Keep. It's way more fun now and the difficulty seems more balanced rather than all over the drat place.

Part of what helped was respeccing my early dex character into faith. Now I have a +10 lightning rapier and throw around lightning bolts and fireballs. I'm trying to go back a bit more dex now and just got the stats for the uchigatana. One thing that kind of sucks is I don't have the stats for like any of the boss soul weapons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Currently co opping as a MUSCLE WIZARD with dual caestus-es with some of the early bosses. It's fun as hell!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just dipped my toes in to PvP as a Bellbro and am struggling. I think my build is OK and I just need to get good, but wanted to run it by you guys just to make sure.

I'm SL80-something right now with SM of ~700k. 40 STR, 18 DEX, and then a smattering of points in other stats except for FTH and INT, which are the Knight class default. Primarily using either a Mace +10 w/Drangleic shield or a Bastard Sword +10 and 2H it. I have a Dragonrider Bow for backup, plus lots of throwing knives (and the poison variety). I find the moveset for the mace is getting me in trouble with PvP, so I'm going to focus on the Bastard Sword. I've got a pyromancy flame +6 and 2 attunement slots, what spells should I be focusing on for PvP...flameswathe and toxic mist?

Any tips on how to maximize this setup?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Thinking of picking this up on PC, should I? I wasn't a big fan of Demon Souls but I did like Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dark Cohomology posted:

Hey thanks for all this. I had to dig across the internet and figure most of this out myself when I built a fresh hexer a week or so ago.

If you prefer fashion to min/maxing, you can change the final build as follows:
- Spend like 2 hours making female characters slowly and repeatedly restarting cause you greatly messed up the cheek shading or whatever after you hit confirm and saw your chick in the world.
- Max out item find in Earthen peak to get the Desert Sorceress Top.
- Release Navlaan or do his quest to buy the Black Mage Trousers.
- Go clubbing in your slutwear.
- Also get some Alonne Knight Armor for those times when you need defense/pvp/a serious-looking character. That armor is great for anyone.

I just really hated all the "good caster gear" and figured I like super-fast rolling, so why not go all out? My wife is so proud of how I spend my time.

Never go hollow because it grosses you at and too much hollowing will make your tirelessly picked out hair go away.

• Locked thread